Robert Brickey joins staff...

... of WBB. Forgive me if this is old news, but I was just reading the July BDW and saw where Mr. Brickey was added to Coach P's staff, "not as an assistant coach, but as someone to help out in player development, film work, community outreach and especially on-campus recruiting." Anybody remember this guy?

Also in the article, it noted a verbal from Alexis Rogers, "a versatile 6-foot-1 player who can work the paint and also move outside to shoot the three-pointer..." Any comment from our readers who are certainly more informed about WBB than I am.

Robert Brickey was one of my favorite players. You could count on him to do something once every game that none of the other 9 on the floor could pull off.

I remember when the late, great Al McGuire was asked if DUKE could win in all in the year in question. He replied, "... not without a healthy Robert Brickey ! " Pretty high praise, I thought.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    News to me...vcool to see a men's guy get involved with the women's program. Thanks for the post.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilDan View Post
    Robert Brickey was one of my favorite players. You could count on him to do something once every game that none of the other 9 on the floor could pull off.

I remember when the late, great Al McGuire was asked if DUKE could win in all in the year in question. He replied, "... not without a healthy Robert Brickey ! " Pretty high praise, I thought.
    Great for Robert! I met him 3 or 4 years ago when he spoke to a men's group breakfast I went to. Super guy.

I believe the quote was in the FF semi final game vs. Seton Hall, when, after Duke got out to a big lead early in the first half, Brickey got hurt midway through the first half and we lost big. Very disappointing.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

That Seton Hall game was one of the stranger games in terms of lead swings. Prior to Brickey getting undercut by Gerald Glass...Duke was up by 17..

Seton Hall awoke after that. We couldn't stop the Australian kid (Andrew Gaze? ) and we ended up losing by 17.

I thought that the Glass kid should've been tossed. There wasn't even an intentional foul called on that play.

Quote Originally Posted by devilirium View Post
    That Seton Hall game was one of the stranger games in terms of lead swings. Prior to Brickey getting undercut by Gerald Glass...Duke was up by 17..

Seton Hall awoke after that. We couldn't stop the Australian kid (Andrew Gaze? ) and we ended up losing by 17.

I thought that the Glass kid should've been tossed. There wasn't even an intentional foul called on that play.
    I was a freshman that year, and I remember the australian (not sure of the spelling, but you got it right on him) torching us. Brickey remains one of my favorite Duke players.

I remember that loss to Seton Hall. We had 'em--then the roof caved in . Later someone pointed out that their Australian star Andrew Gaze was 24 at the time, and the top player from his country ... which seemed to be a bit unsporting, in my opinion.

I remember that loss to Seton Hall. We had 'em--then the roof caved in . Later someone pointed out that their Australian star Andrew Gaze was 24 at the time, and the top player from his country ... which seemed to be a bit unsporting, in my opinion.
    That is Tyler Hanblabla's age for next year!

It's great to see him get involved in the women's program. I have always thought he would be an excellent head coach, even for Duke, because of his personality and tenacity. I know he will bring a unique edge to the program.

I may be getting mixed-up in my elder years . . . . but one of my favorite memories of Robert was in the NCAA game in '88 (IIRC) played in the Dean Dome. We were down big to St. John's (again, IIRC) and K sent Brickey out to shoot free throws on a technical. Robert was, um, not the best free throw shooter we had but it was clear that if we were going to win it was because Robert was going to step up. Robert hit the shots, we went on to win.

(Bonus -- yelling GTH,C in the Dean Dome, then going to He's Not Here to watch UNC play out West against Loyola Marymount).

IIRC he was going gray, too. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Reminded me of the broad age disparity between Duke and UNLV in 1990. CBS had a graphic of the average ages, and I can't recall whether it was just starters or the whole team, but it was something like 19.x for Duke and 23.y for UNLV.

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    IIRC he was going gray, too. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
    Ferry was balding too.

That game hurt! And wasn't his name Gage?

Watzone, Jim any thoughts?????

This can only be good for the women's program. I like him working on player development.

I wonder if this was all Coach P's idea or if Dr. White had any influence on it. Dr. White does not seem to be dragging his feet at the beginning of the White Era at Duke. I can easily see him stepping in with what I've heard about his so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedawg View Post
    This can only be good for the women's program. I like him working on player development.

I wonder if this was all Coach P's idea or if Dr. White had any influence on it. Dr. White does not seem to be dragging his feet at the beginning of the White Era at Duke. I can easily see him stepping in with what I've heard about his so far.
    Wouldn't it be more likely that Coach K had more to do with this than Dr. White?

Quote Originally Posted by Inonehand View Post
    Wouldn't it be more likely that Coach K had more to do with this than Dr. White?
    Only if you assume that he has control of the Women's program also.

Quote Originally Posted by Inonehand View Post
    Maybe Coach P had something to do with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Maybe Coach P had something to do with this.
    What I'm wondering is did Dr. White identify a weakness in the women's program and move quickly to strengthen that area. Yes, Coach P did the hiring but did this position/move begin in his office or hers?