Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    It wouldn't be good to have your senior captain who has started all previous years coming off the bench. If he wasn't a senior I would agree.

Agree it's a longshot, but there is a precedent of sorts, with our newest assistant coach no less

This thread is ridiculous.

Just because Scheyer is white, does not make him slow. Scheyer will start. As it's been said before, he's our best defender.

It makes absolutely no sense for E-Will to start over him. If E-Will was an OJ Mayo level recruit, yeah, then maybe, we can talk about it- but he's not.

He's never played a second for us. He's never been at UNC, in the Dean Dome. He hasn't learned what it's like to play Duke defense.

I'm sorry, but for you to suggest that he starts just places totally unrealistic expectations on the kid. You should read the other thread on exactly this topic, where this exact scenario was discussed ad nauseum.

It's amazing the expectations we have of our incoming recruits.

Quote Originally Posted by RainingThrees View Post
    It wouldn't be good to have your senior captain who has started all previous years coming off the bench. If he wasn't a senior I would agree.
    Did I miss something? I do not believe the team captain for 08-09 has been announced. It is presumptuous to assume Paulus will be the team captain.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Did I miss something? I do not believe the team captain for 08-09 has been announced. It is presumptuous to assume Paulus will be the team captain.
    I disagree. I would be shocked if Paulus were not the captain, or at least co-captain. I believe that if there were a Las Vegas line on our team captain, Paulus would be at least 5 to 1.

I couldn't imagine ayone else being captain. He is the vocal leader of the team and like Dave McClure he sets an example by scraping and fighting for every loose ball.

Quote Originally Posted by quickgtp View Post
    actually it was said that henderson did not have asthma so that argument goes out the window. scheyer started because he simply was ready for the game and fit the role well. he thrived last year as a 6th man and don't be shocked if it stays that way. what is all this talk of smith being the "6th man?" smith and paulus will probably never play on the court at the same time barring injury or foul issues. smith is the back up pg at this point and shouldn't be considered the 6th man IMO. williams is long and much quicker than scheyer so there is a good chance that he starts over jon. if we start paulus, scheyer, henderson, singler, and zoubek then teams will start out stronger simply off of athleticism. we have to have another athletic player on the court with that set.
    did you actually read my post or just skim it? some have said that henderson had asthma that year and henderson himself said he was out of shape. that is the only reason that scheyer started his freshman year. henderson is a superstar just waiting to pop out and he would have started over jon their freshman year if not for his problems getting up and down the floor. argument flies back through window.

jon filled a need last year in second unit scoring. coach k gave him that role and he accepted it for one year. the only reason that the scenario for him to be the sixth man became available was because of demarcus's stranglehold of the one wing spot and henderson getting over his problems. now, demarcus is gone and jon is poised in his minutes, scoring averages, rebounds, hustle, leadership, experience, and defensive presence to slide into the place demarcus vacated without their being any slip in skill level or production.

why is it wrong for nolan to be the sixth man? it seems to me he perfectly poised to become jon jr. a perfect sixth man can play multiple positions, be a good defender, bring some instant offense off the bench, be experienced enough to handle anything that happens in the game like a starter could, and can make good decisions. nolan is all of these things and more. he can play both point and wing. we have all seen how he can potentially be a game changer on both ends of the floor. he, as a sophomore, has learned from his mistakes from a year ago and understands the game in a way that he couldnt have his freshman year. while email might be these things, we cannot know because he has yet to play a game in duke blue. plus, nolan's experience and maturity in game situations is much better than elliot's could be at this stage of the game. and how do you know that elliot is so much longer and quicker than jon? it seems to me that they are roughly the same size. and no one has seen them play together in a game situation, so no one could compare if one is quicker than the other. maybe email's competition was that much more slower than the college game. until the seaspn starts, there is no way you can say that because their is no proof to show you are correct.

Quote Originally Posted by mgtr View Post
    I would be shocked if Paulus were not the captain, or at least co-captain.
    Just like people were shocked that Paulus wasn't a captain last year after being one of the tri-captains as a sophomore.

I agree that Paulus is probably one of the main candidates, but I believe we would all be better served by waiting for the press release rather than assuming the results.
    Bob Green

unexpected...what does jon scheyer being white have to do with anything? don't continue down that road for everyone's sake here. jon is not nearly as athletic as someone such as ewill or henderson or czyz. no big deal. thats not my issue with him anyway. actually, wait, i don't have an issue with jon in the first place. it is just that he played well as a 6th man last year, and may continue that route. unrealistic expectation? come on, this would be unrealistic for miles or czyz, not email (16th) or singler (6th) (which it wasnt last year.)

skitelz...so wait, henderson did or did not have asthma? it had nothing to do with jon simply being the better player overall out of HS? i guess you know GH on a personal level so you know for a fact it was asthma, even though it has been confirmed that it was not? right back out the window my friend. please clarify. did jon sign a contractual agreement to play as the 6th man for one year and one year only? where was that in the news? seriously, you need to understand that jon thrived in the 6th man role, and there is a decent chance that he stays there next year. you have not seen elliot williams play in person and you are going simply off of HS rankings. have you not learned how off those rankings can be? i am not saying this is a definite, but i think theres a good chance. you on the other hand appear to be sure of your argument. funny, what other inside scoops can you give us?

elliot not as fast as jon? no proof? no, i havent seen them both in person. elliot is much more explosive and is faster than jon. he also can break opponents down and get to the rim better than jon can. jon is a better pure shooter, and probably a better overall defender at this point. Email has faster hands though and will become the better defender in K's system.

nolan as the main 6th man? wow, where do i begin? i guess jon will go back to being the backup pg? i guess there is not need to groom nolan for the pg position in 09 because we definitely are getting kenny? come on man.

you need to understand that jon thrived in the 6th man role
    He scored the same amount per game when he was a sixth man/sophmore as he did when he was a freshmen/starter.

He thrived as as starter too...

sure did with an average of 5 minutes less pg...so i ask....your point?

again, jon thrived in the 6th man role. last year he didnt have to focus on being the 2nd pg (and sometimes starting pg while greg was out.)

Although we worry now the best player will asert themselves in practice and will start. Whether that be Nolan, Elliot or Jon we have three great options who could all start at other schools.

last year he didnt have to focus on being the 2nd pg (and sometimes starting pg while greg was out.)
    Some of our best offensive sets were run with Jon handling the ball up top. I'd like to see Jon play more point guard.

Is the shift key broke on your computer?
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Some of our best offensive sets were run with Jon handling the ball up top. I'd like to see Jon play more point guard.

Is the shift key broke on your computer?
    LOL Bob, no it is not. It was just late and I was tired!

I guess only time will settle this debate. Again, I state that there is a good chance, not a definite...

I hear Mike Patrick every time I see your postings/name Raining Threes. I absolutely love that name my friend!

Spring Lake, NC (acutally Harnett County)

A further point on Scheyer

My original thought on Scheyer was this: He is the obvious (in my opinion) choice as starter. The question is whether K believes it to be better for Scheyer to play the 6th man role again. If he does, then the question turns to who is the other starter? EWill or Nolan Smith are the general choices, in my mind. However, I believe that Scheyer will start.

I hear Mike Patrick every time I see your postings/name Raining Threes. I absolutely love that name my friend!
    thanks man I was watching that youtube video of the highlights right before I joined.

The new season is slmost upon us!

Gee whiz, folks! Here we are only three months from the start of the season, and everybody is asleep! Where are all the threads on whether Paulus or Smith will start? Whether Scheyer is potentially better than JJ? When Hendo will go pro? How many points Marty will make in the exhibition games? Will Olek Czyz (aka the Czyzle) ignite the Cameron Crazies? What if Olek and Marty are on the floor at the same time -- will there be a mass swoon, a la Obama and Gorbachev?
    These are all questions which need to be debated prior to the start of the season -- and if we don't do it, who will? C'mon mods, lets get in the game and jack up some of the players. I think too many people are worried about the Olympics, gas prices, the mortgage fiasco, wars around the world and other trivial matters. Lets focus on what really matters -- Duke Basketball!!!!!!

I think Cutcliffe's recruiting efforts, conditioning, and folksy demeanor have derailed basketball a little bit. I still attend the games at Central, and love to see those guys play, but football has been an equally welcome distraction.

Well,

I don't know any of the answers, but I LOVE your priorities!! At least your head is screwed on straight.