Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spring Lake, NC (acutally Harnett County)

Five and Five, my take on playing time 2009

First of all - the one certainty - I'm not getting any minutes this year.

I see us with five backcourt players:

Paulus
    Henderson
    Scheyer
    Smith
    Williams

I see us with five frontcourt players:

Singler
    Zoubek
    Thomas
    Plumlee
    OC

(I see Marty and Dave getting minutes early, but falling out of this top ten)

I think there are two definite backcourt positions and two definite backcourt positions. I think the swingman/small forward will end up with the group of five with the most talent and the best defense. In general, that would be, IMHO, the backcourt group. There may be circumstances and situations where that is out the window (as well as blowouts and easy games), but I think K will have the backcourt five getting the minutes for three positions and the frontcourt five getting the minutes for two positions. Of the frontcourt five, Singler will certainly take one (in big games, I see him playing big minutes).

Starting?

Paulus, Henderson, Singler.

Scheyer would be the next logical choice, but will K convince him of another 6th man year? That would help the team, but may not be relished by Jon. If not Jon, then Nolan Smith would start.

The other frontcourt starter? Typically, this has been Thomas' play. I think that Zoubek may take that spot. A Zoubek "break-out" year (which would still probably only be three rotations and about 15-18 minutes a game this year) is in order. Lance may be forced to fight for Singler's minutes, particulary with Plumlee now there to pick up post minutes. OC? Total wild card. 5 minutes a game and leads the ACC in charges? ACC rookie of the year and the number draft pick for the NBA? Who knows?

My money is on:

Paulus, Scheyer, Henderson, Singler, Zoubek

Serious minutes for E. Williams, Smith

Smaller minutes for Thomas, Plumlee, OC

Wild Card difference makers:

Henderson's growth into stardom
    Singler's ability to last the season
    Zoubek's progress
    ACC-quality play from Williams, Smith
    Someone from Thomas, Plumlee, OC stepping up unexpectedly

just my summer thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by Constantstrain 81 View Post
    Starting?

Paulus, Henderson, Singler.

Scheyer would be the next logical choice, but will K convince him of another 6th man year? That would help the team, but may not be relished by Jon. If not Jon, then Nolan Smith would start.
    This was discussed fairly heavily a couple of months back, with Jumbo leading the charge that there is no way that Jon doesn't start. Barring injuries, of course.

The other frontcourt starter? Typically, this has been Thomas' play. I think that Zoubek may take that spot. A Zoubek "break-out" year (which would still probably only be three rotations and about 15-18 minutes a game this year) is in order. Lance may be forced to fight for Singler's minutes, particulary with Plumlee now there to pick up post minutes. OC? Total wild card. 5 minutes a game and leads the ACC in charges? ACC rookie of the year and the number draft pick for the NBA? Who knows?
    Yeah, I'd like to see Brian have a break-out year, as well. If he doesn't have one, it's comforting to know that there are 3 other big guys on the team pushing him for the 5 spot.

A better question might be, "Who finishes games." My money then is on Paulus, Smith, Scheyer, Henderson, and Singler, who I expect to be easily the best 5 on the team.

For starters, I will definitely buy into Paulus, Scheyer, Henderson, Singler, Zoubek. For finishers, I think there are just too many possible situations. I can see the game ending with Paulus, Smith, Scheyer, Henderson, and Singler, however.

I'll buy into cb15 & mgtr's take on the best guys to finish the game. My "fervent wish" (translation: PRAYER) is still that Zoubek/Olek/Thomas/Williams/Plumlee and a couple of others will have given us great minutes here and there during the games, so that our thoroughbreads can lay the wood to 'em in the final 3-5 minutes.

It all that happens we will be tough in March (and April). Go DUKE !

it will probably be:

paulus
    williams
    henderson
    singler
    thomas

smith will get minutes at the pg with scheyer coming off the bench at the 2/3. zoubek is not ready to start. he will probably continue to be a 10-15 minute player this year, but hopefully he gets better with more pt through the season.

i bet czyz gets the 2nd pt for freshmen, while miles plays 3-5 minutes a game to absorb fouls.

Thomas/Zoubek choice is tough. Neither has done much, but Zoubek has been injured. I would assume they will share minutes, with both Plumlee and Czyz getting some time there.
    I don't know how good Williams is, but I have a pretty good idea how good Scheyer is. I would like to see him start, at least until we have some evidence about how good the new players are. Could he reprise his role as sixth man? Sure, and that may be how it shakes out, but he brings a lot of intangibles tto the game. For sure, he will be there at the end.

How does williams, a freshman who we've never seen play a single minute, start over scheyer?

Starting 5 is going to be:

Paulus
    Henderson
    Scheyer
    Singler
    Whomever emerges amongst the big men.

Quote Originally Posted by unexpected View Post
    How does williams, a freshman who we've never seen play a single minute, start over scheyer?

Starting 5 is going to be:

Paulus
    Henderson
    Scheyer
    Singler
    Whomever emerges amongst the big men.
    what he said

Perimeter Players

The starting perimeter players this past season (Nelson, Paulus and Henderson) averaged 85 mpg with Scheyer getting 28 mpg and Smith getting about 15 mpg. I expect Scheyer to move into the starting line-up, Smith to be an excellent 6th man and Williams to back up Henderson. Based on last year this would work out to about 85 minutes for the starters, 24 mpg for Smith and about 12 mpg for Williams.

gw67

Scheyer did very well in the 6th man role last year and K may keep it that way. Williams will not have an issue starting in the ACC as a freshman. Obviously Scheyer is capable of, and could very well start. I just have a hunch that K keeps it the same way as last year with Williams filling DMarc's role. Nolan will continue to be the 2nd pg. They will keep grooming him for starting pg in 09-10.

If Williams plays less than 18 minutes a game then either he is a serious bust or something is wrong with the rotation!

The most fun team to watch would have to be...

PG - Smith
    SG - E. Williams
    SF - G. Henderson
    PF - Singler
    C - OC

Somehow, i would like to see Jon Scheyer coming off the bench again this year. He did very well last year as the sixth man. But the thing that would so great about last year was we could start Lance Thomas and then bring in a starter off the bench in Scheyer.

Starters:
    PG- Greg Paulus
    SG- Elliot Williams
    SF- Gerald Henderson
    PF- Kyle Singler
    C- Lance Thomas

Bench-
    6. SG Jon Scheyer
    7. PG Nolan Smith
    8. C Brian Zoubek
    9. SF Marty Pocius
    10. C Miles Plumlee
    11. F David McClure
    12. G Jordan Davidson

I'd put O.C ahead of jordan davidson I think.

I forgot about Czyz.

16. I'm surprised people keep thinking of Thomas at the 5 -- he seems much better suited at the 4 than the 5. Thomas doesn't have much of a post game and doesn't have the size to overpower opposing 5s but he's quick, athletic, has height and a decent short-range game; in other words, the prototypical 4. (Singler of course is more of the Duke 4 than the prototypical 4).

I predict Thomas will back Singler at the 4 and Miles will back Zoubek at the 5.

Quote Originally Posted by jyuwono View Post
    I'm surprised people keep thinking of Thomas at the 5 -- he seems much better suited at the 4 than the 5.
    The 5 or the 4 is all semantics. The bottom line is that Lance Thomas has played in 63 games and started 46 times since arriving at Duke. Thomas is the odds on favorite to be a starter again as a junior, but Zoubek will be battling hard to secure a slot in the starting frontcourt alongside Singler.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    The 5 or the 4 is all semantics. The bottom line is that Lance Thomas has played in 63 games and started 46 times since arriving at Duke. Thomas is the odds on favorite to be a starter again as a junior, but Zoubek will be battling hard to secure a slot in the starting frontcourt alongside Singler.

I think a healthy Zoubek starts over Thomas. Zoubek has shown in the past to be a much better rebounder and more of a threat on offense. Here's hoping they both improve their games for next year... especially their free throw percentages.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEDEVILS View Post
    Somehow, i would like to see Jon Scheyer coming off the bench again this year. He did very well last year as the sixth man. But the thing that would so great about last year was we could start Lance Thomas and then bring in a starter off the bench in Scheyer.

Starters:
    PG- Greg Paulus
    SG- Elliot Williams
    SF- Gerald Henderson
    PF- Kyle Singler
    C- Lance Thomas

Bench-
    6. SG Jon Scheyer
    7. PG Nolan Smith
    8. C Brian Zoubek
    9. SF Marty Pocius
    10. C Miles Plumlee
    11. F David McClure
    12. G Jordan Davidson
    It's safe to say there is no way E-mail will be starting over Scheyer to start off the year... E-mail may push Scheyer to have to increase his scoring per game (which I don't think he did between year 1 and 2) and his overall offensive consistency. Even if he doesn't, however, Scheyer is one of our best defenders and he will probably not only be starting but also playing 30 mpg.

^But if Scheyer comes off the bench, we can finish all of our games like this:

1- Greg Paulus
    2- Jon Scheyer
    3- Elliot Williams
    4- Gerald Henderson
    5- Kyle Singler