Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Brandon Knight Offered

Quote Originally Posted by watzone View Post
    Brandon Knight has been offered.
    Watzone (who all of us who read DBR can't thank enough for sharing his insights and info) just informed us that Duke has also officially offered a scholarship to Brandon Knight, the #1 point guard in the 2010 class...very good news. He's a player we can't pass up on even if he is one and done. Imagine a backcourt of Knight and Boynton. Yikes. Scary good.

Thats two offers to point guards in the 2010 class in one day, and five total offers that we've given out for the '10 class, without offering a true post player. Unless we are expecting an underclassmen to leave early or are are only planning on using two scholarships in the '09 class, then we would be out of scholarships for '10 if all 5 offers for '10 were accepted and we take 3 players from the '09 class.

Quote Originally Posted by nicktonyg22 View Post
    Watzone (who all of us who read DBR can't thank enough for sharing his insights and info) just informed us that Duke has also officially offered a scholarship to Brandon Knight, the #1 point guard in the 2010 class...very good news. He's a player we can't pass up on even if he is one and done. Imagine a backcourt of Knight and Boynton. Yikes. Scary good.

Thats two offers to point guards in the 2010 class in one day, and five total offers that we've given out for the '10 class, without offering a true post player. Unless we are expecting an underclassmen to leave early or are are only planning on using two scholarships in the '09 class, then we would be out of scholarships for '10 if all 5 offers for '10 were accepted and we take 3 players from the '09 class.
    Is it possible that the offers to Knight and Thorton are first come first serve? I know that K has been reluctant to do this in the past but I'm not sure why we would offer both unless we now don't think that we will get Boynton or know that he only plans to attend college for one year. This also seems against K's MO.

Quote Originally Posted by yancem View Post
    Is it possible that the offers to Knight and Thorton are first come first serve? I know that K has been reluctant to do this in the past but I'm not sure why we would offer both unless we now don't think that we will get Boynton or know that he only plans to attend college for one year. This also seems against K's MO.

While I have not talked with anyone inside the program, in response to the first question....

No.

Quote Originally Posted by nicktonyg22 View Post
    Hasn't Josh Smith, the big post player from Washington state, been offered also? I was thinking 6 offers, counting already committed Andre Dawkins and offers made to Harrison Barnes, Josh Hairston, Tyler Thornton, Smith, and now Brandon Knight. Or I am ahead of myself/counting wrong?

Not sure how it all shakes out, but could be a terrific class.

What is more important, to build a good program or win a title right now and then go quietly into the night? Duke or Cuse?

Knight is one and done while Tyler is at least a 3 year guy. I'm against one and dones so if they get Brandon I hope he stays longer than two years.

Scout doesn't show that Brandon has been offered and Watzone says Rivals does. I'm wondering if the Rivals site is a pay site because the Rivals site I have access to doesn't show offers just who the player is interested in.

Can someone give me a site?

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Hasn't Josh Smith, the big post player from Washington state, been offered also? I was thinking 6 offers, counting already committed Andre Dawkins and offers made to Harrison Barnes, Josh Hairston, Tyler Thornton, Smith, and now Brandon Knight. Or I am ahead of myself/counting wrong?

Not sure how it all shakes out, but could be a terrific class.
    I don't think Josh Smith has been offered yet, making it 5 outstanding offers.

Let's say we get every recruit we target, maybe a bit pie in the sky. We would have "big" men Miles and Mason Plumlee, Olek Czyz, and Kyle Singler, and Josh Hairston.

Additionally, we have one more scholarship with only 2 offers in for 2009 kids. It could either be used for a 3rd guy in 2009 or for Josh Smith.

Alternatively, Kyle Singler could graduate in 3 years, and we could offer 3 guys in 2009 and still offer 6 in 2010.

I don't think we will have a lack of scholarships problems, nor do I think we will have a shortage of big men.

Quote Originally Posted by dukeimac View Post
    What is more important, to build a good program or win a title right now and then go quietly into the night? Duke or Cuse?
    They aren't mutually exclusive, though. In fact, K's latest move would point to the fact that he is trying to do both. Bring in Brandon Knight and to win a title immediately his first year with he and Boynton in the backcourt, and plumlee and hopefully kyle in the frontcourt. Then if/when he leaves early, we've got Tyler Thornton right there to take his place.

Why is everyone so certain that Knight will only be in college for one year? Has he actually said anything to that effect, or are people just assuming because he's so good? Doesn't he have a GPA over 4.0? Kyle Singler probably could have been a first round pick last year and he stayed anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by dukeimac View Post

Knight is one and done while Tyler is at least a 3 year guy. I'm against one and dones so if they get Brandon I hope he stays longer than two years.

Scout doesn't show that Brandon has been offered and Watzone says Rivals does. I'm wondering if the Rivals site is a pay site because the Rivals site I have access to doesn't show offers just who the player is interested in.

Can someone give me a site?
    duke already has a good program, duke has a great program, a great coach, and a great basketball environment.
    it is more important to win a title right now and every year

Quote Originally Posted by CameronCrazy'11 View Post
    Why is everyone so certain that Knight will only be in college for one year? Has he actually said anything to that effect, or are people just assuming because he's so good? Doesn't he have a GPA over 4.0? Kyle Singler probably could have been a first round pick last year and he stayed anyway.
    My impression is that K won't recruit you if you already has your mind made up that you're going to declare after one season. I don't think that he necessarily shies away from potential one in done players as long as they are open seeing how things go and if they have a spectacular season then make the decision to go pro. A kid that makes the decision before he sets foot on campus is most likely going to disrupt team chemistry.

My impression is that K won't recruit you if you already has your mind made up that you're going to declare after one season. I don't think that he necessarily shies away from potential one in done players as long as they are open seeing how things go and if they have a spectacular season then make the decision to go pro. A kid that makes the decision before he sets foot on campus is most likely going to disrupt team chemistry.
    Coach K has said that he recruits players that have an open-mind about staying multiple years.

Quote Originally Posted by dukeballer2294 View Post
    Coach K has said that he recruits players that have an open-mind about staying multiple years.
    This sounds like Brandon Knight to me. I don't think it's written in stone that he's going after one year. Even if he played well enough to, he certainly wouldn't be the first Dukie to stay when he could have gone to the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by dukeballer2294 View Post
    How is that different than what I said?

Quote Originally Posted by speedevil View Post
    duke already has a good program, duke has a great program, a great coach, and a great basketball environment.
    it is more important to win a title right now and every year
    Co-signed. The "Duke or Cuse" scenario is pretty dramatic. Cuse has missed the tournament the past two years; I just don't see that happening to Duke.

Duke's recruiting has been fine but Krzyzewski really seems to be getting aggressive with these '09 and '10 classes and I'm very happy to see that. If we land these kids and one of them happens to be a one-and-done then so be it. I want to see us playing in April again.

How is that different than what I said?
    does 1 and done include tranfers?

taylor king, boyton, boteng, thompson, etc.

they are all one in done or early to leave.

Great things are about to fall into place for Duke Basketball, especially if Coach K brings home the gold.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEDEVILS View Post
    Great things are about to fall into place for Duke Basketball, especially if Coach K brings home the gold.
    And if he doesn't?

than he didnt do any worse than larry brown or ol roy

A guy like Brandon Knight you don't pass up on whether he's a one and done or not, he's just too good of a player and kid.

Quote Originally Posted by GopherBlue View Post
    And if he doesn't?
    We would still be in okay shape, but lets just hope Coach K wins the Gold.