Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Wow...simply wow. Every word of hype written about this movie was 100% real. What a great movie. Heath Ledger should not only get an Oscar nomination, he should run away with the award, IMO. It was a dark film, but the suspense never let up. Someone else mentioned it earlier, but although this movie probably won't get Best Picture nominations, it definitely should. Hands down, best movie I've seen in a long while.

P.S. The pencil magic trick
    P.P.S. Terminator 4 baby! Are you serious!
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Imax

Saw it the IMAX in Nashville. I saw it at 12:20 and it was sold out. I think all of the IMAX showings were sold out here. I think everything has been said about this movie. I am going to wait until others have had a chance to see it before I talk about any scenes.

This puts Batman Begins to shame and that was a tremendous flick.

I just checked the imdb rating and it is #3 in the top 250. Of course this is after 7,000+ votes but I still had to see the ranking.

Just saw it...

I don't think it was that incredible... but it was very entertaining. I could see most everything coming... the music and the lighting added a lot of effect and suspense to the movie that the script simply could not. The story definatly turned into complete distortion to make room for the action. I give it 7.5. Ledger was absolutely revolutionary in his role.

However, Bales 'batman' voice sounded like something you would here on a playground.

Awesome!

I'm among those who were blown away. It truly lived up to the hype. Yes it was a little long but I can't think of any one scene I would have shortened or left out. Maybe a chase scene, but you have to have those in films of this genre. I look forward to seeing the movie again.
    No soup for you!

Adam Graham of the Detroit News predicted that DK would bring in $167,497,388 this weekend. This was before they released the box office figures of the midnight showings. If they made $18.5 million just off the midnight showings, and they can break Spidey 3's single-day record, a $160-170 million weekend isn't out of the question, given that most showings have been sold out. In fact, Fandango reported earlier 94% of people buying tickets on their website was for DK. I have a feeling that Aquaman, Jack Sparrow and Spiderman are all going down.

2003-2004 HLM

$66 million after Day 1, biggest 1-day and opening day haul ever. More than 1/3 of the way to $151.1 million and Spidey 3. Passed by a theater this morning, and a line for DK was a block long. No joke. Spidey better get ready for some company.

2003-2004 HLM

I echo the praise of others for this movie.

First, I too approached this movie with a fair bit of skepticism about Ledger's performance, given the hype. I was totally blown away. It reminded me a bunch of Anthony Hopkins as Lecter. Ledger managed to portray a character who was pure evil, but simultaneously captivating. You can't look away. Like a car wreck you're repulsed but can't take your eyes off of him.

I feel bad for Bale. The guy gave a rock solid performance, but he's getting no credit because of the inevitable comparison to Ledger. Obviously, Bale doesn't carry the movie, but I just can't believe the reviews which characterize his performance as an anchor dragging down the movie. He does an excellent job portraying the billionaire playboy Bruce Wayne. As for Batman, its so hard to deliver a great acting performance when you're covered head to toe in a constume and you're primarily involved in action sequences. Can't see facial expressions, minimal opportunity for powerful scenes, etc. Nonetheless, he does a really great job.

While I did get the general feeling the movie was running long, as I watched the movie, even with this impression in mind, I couldn't identify any particular scene that should have been cut. Just a necessity I guess.

While it won't happen, there should at least be discussion of a best directing nod for the film. Great job integrating the action scenes (which were freakin' awesome btw, I mean, the motorcycle flip, the tractor trailor, etc.) without causing them to overwhelm the movie or take away from the plot, character development, etc.

I also appreciate that it was a thinking movie. It presents some very interesting ethical dilemmas without putting them right in your face or getting preachy.

This may be a rare first day DVD purchase for me.

Quote Originally Posted by rockymtn devil View Post
    p.s. There is one scene in this movie that truly stole the show and will, IMO, go down as the definitive scene from it. I'll be interested to see if others felt the same way, but I'll wait to discuss it until more have seen the movie.
    Dude-- which scene?

As an aside, my list of great scenes were, I think, spoiler free. They certainly do not tell you anything of even minor substance about what happens in the movie other than there is a pencil, a ferry, and that Batman confronts one of the bad guys. Is that a spoiler?

--Jason "sorry if I gave anything away tho!" Evansa

Quote Originally Posted by UVaAmbassador View Post
    I echo the praise of others for this movie.

First, I too approached this movie with a fair bit of skepticism about Ledger's performance, given the hype. I was totally blown away. It reminded me a bunch of Anthony Hopkins as Lecter. Ledger managed to portray a character who was pure evil, but simultaneously captivating. You can't look away. Like a car wreck you're repulsed but can't take your eyes off of him.

I feel bad for Bale. The guy gave a rock solid performance, but he's getting no credit because of the inevitable comparison to Ledger. Obviously, Bale doesn't carry the movie, but I just can't believe the reviews which characterize his performance as an anchor dragging down the movie. He does an excellent job portraying the billionaire playboy Bruce Wayne. As for Batman, its so hard to deliver a great acting performance when you're covered head to toe in a constume and you're primarily involved in action sequences. Can't see facial expressions, minimal opportunity for powerful scenes, etc. Nonetheless, he does a really great job.

While I did get the general feeling the movie was running long, as I watched the movie, even with this impression in mind, I couldn't identify any particular scene that should have been cut. Just a necessity I guess.

While it won't happen, there should at least be discussion of a best directing nod for the film. Great job integrating the action scenes (which were freakin' awesome btw, I mean, the motorcycle flip, the tractor trailor, etc.) without causing them to overwhelm the movie or take away from the plot, character development, etc.

I also appreciate that it was a thinking movie. It presents some very interesting ethical dilemmas without putting them right in your face or getting preachy.

This may be a rare first day DVD purchase for me.

Maybe best director of the year... but even in this... Christopher Nolan dosn't do 1/4 the job Peter Jackson does in the worst LOR film (Even King Kong is better directed). You can argue they are different... but still, not even close... imdb's dark knight rating is so over rated.

Yes Ledger delivered a legendary performance... but I think ultimately his death made Nolan and Co. millions upon millions more than if he were still alive. It's a tragedy that worked in the favor of the guys with the pockets. If Ledger would not have died... hmm... It gets people emotionally drawn to his acting before they even go see it... people are so intriged knowing he apparently died from the trauma of playing the joker.. But hey, I think it may have people actually notice how hard it can be to act...

Ledger gets a 10 and a half on his role, but lets be real... The rest of the movie is a 7 at best. The action is great but there are so many loose ends and plot holes... if it was on purpose to leave you hanging it'd be one thing... but its not even close to being purposely done.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverBlowingBubbles View Post
    Ledger gets a 10 and a half on his role, but lets be real... The rest of the movie is a 7 at best. The action is great but there are so many loose ends and plot holes... if it was on purpose to leave you hanging it'd be one thing... but its not even close to being purposely done.
    A reasonable differing opinion, but could you elaborate about what you consider loose ends or plot holes?

2003-2004 HLM

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Finally saw it and it was everything I'd hoped for. Some of the major plot points really caught me off guard, so I was happy to still be surprised after reading so much about it.
    If I taught an ethics class, I'd be tempted to show lots of scenes in this movie and let the class give their reactions and ask how they'd behave in similar situations.
    Also, I thought the movie had plenty of light hearted humorous moments, and from reading others comments had not expected many at all. All in all a very well done and acted movie, I'll be adding it to my DVD collection when it comes out.

Saw it. Liked it fairly well. Tour de force by Ledger, and IMO Bale is by far the best Batman, perfect for the role. But is it just me, or is anybody else noticing that in almost all movies these days the plot is pretty much an afterthought, something that very little care is taken with? I can't remember the last movie where I didn't have some trouble following the plot, or cared any about how it turned out. Will we ever see another Chinatown, or is story line something that the new generation of script writers just aren't going to bother themselves about much?

Quote Originally Posted by dkbaseball View Post
    Saw it. Liked it fairly well. Tour de force by Ledger, and IMO Bale is by far the best Batman, perfect for the role. But is it just me, or is anybody else noticing that in almost all movies these days the plot is pretty much an afterthought, something that very little care is taken with? I can't remember the last movie where I didn't have some trouble following the plot, or cared any about how it turned out. Will we ever see another Chinatown, or is story line something that the new generation of script writers just aren't going to bother themselves about much?
    If a plot is confusing, that doesn't mean it's an afterthought. Complicated plots are just the style that's popular right now. And since you mention Chinatown, the plot there was pretty complicated too.

I suspect it's a generational thing. People always find the easiest movies to relate to (and thus to care about) the ones they grow up with.

Great Scenes

One really cool part of this movie were the number of just really well done scenes. Heck, Batman stealing the guy from Hong Kong seems pretty mild, and in a vacuum that was really, really awesome. Personally, I liked:

Pencil Scene
    The Joker with the guy who put the bounty on his head (and the first story about his scar)
    When The Joker Kills the Judge and the Commish
    The Joker at the fundraiser for Harvey (and the second story about his scar)
    Batman with the mob guy at the club
    The Funeral (loved how The Joker guessed that Batman would find the fingerprint and set him up for it)
    The Chase underground
    Batman interrogating The Joker in the cell
    The Joker in the jail cell, and his one phone call
    Dent and Rachel tied up (and how again, The Joker played Batman - something he should have seen coming)
    The Joker with Dent at the hospital
    The people on the boats
    Batman in the building at the end, and his confrontation with The Joker (while he hung upside down). Loved how he was going to tell him how he got his scars.
    Dent and Gordon at the end

I mean seriously - this movie was one great moment after another. Honestly, the scene I liked least was the opening bank robbery, and it was still pretty damn cool.

Also, Heath's mannerisms as The Joker were simply amazing. I can't wait to go watch it again, just to focus on the various things he did.

Thumbs down

O.k., I'll be Negative Nancy - I did not like this movie at all. I realize that part of this is because it is very much written and directed as a guy's movie and is not designed to have much appeal to women, but it was really just not a good experience. It's like if you meet an old friend for a beer and expect to catch up with each other and go out to have a good time, and instead all she/he wants to do is drink beer and talk about is deep philosophical truths.

Heath Ledger is the only element that made it watchable for me. He is an absolute freak in this role. You can see why he reportedly had trouble separating himself from the psychotically depraved clown while filming - he is just that good.

Other than that, stuff blows up, crap crashes into other crap, Batman has some neat toys, Harvey Dent is "the best of us all" (and did we really have to hear that or variations of it in every single scene he was in? Enough already. We get it - he's a flawed, man-made hero), people get kidnapped, can Gotham save itself if it continues to bite the hand that frees it? I confess that I didn't care very much after the first hour or so.

Batman himself was reduced to the role of butt-kicking CSI and was by far the least interesting character in the movie (and I have a huge crush on Christian Bale, so for me to say that, you know it's got some problems!) . Maggie Whatshername was extraordinarily unconvincing as his childhood sweetheart-turned-love-of-his-life or whatever; their interactions all came off like business transactions. For that matter, so did all her interactions with Harvey Dent, which really sucked the life out of that whole thread of the story.

I could go on, but you get the idea. As an exploration of ethical dilemma and moral agency, it was o.k. As a movie to go see on a Saturday night for fun, not so much.

On a scale of 1 to 10, I’d give it a 7.5 out of 10.

This was certainly not the masterpiece many (most) of the early reviews made it out to be. It was certainly an excellent movie, but it didn’t blow my mind, it didn’t leave me perplexed about the paradox of good vs. evil when I walked out of the theater. It didn’t do any of that as other movies it was compared to have (Empire Strikes Back, LOTR, Godfather II). In fact, it didn’t even come close.

The reviewers kept talking about how this movie transcended the Spiderman genre. How it took comic book movies to a whole new level. I disagree. It certainly was better than any of the Spiderman movies and Nolan should get kudos for making a sequel that surpassed his original, but this movie is nothing more than the best comic book movie. It didn’t shatter any ceilings, in my opinion.

It sucks that we have to talk about it in that context, because it actually was an awesome movie. It just irritates me when reviewers over-hype a movie to the point where someone like me is actually disappointed when I walk out of the theater. That’s just ridiculous. From now on, I’ll just have to avoid the reviews I guess.

To the finer points of the movie:

Ledger was awesome. Really great. I think he deserves an Oscar nod, but I don’t buy the hype that he has it locked down. Once again, the reviews touted this performance as shockingly eerie, chilling, etc. I didn’t really get that. He was creepy, for sure, but it didn’t “haunt” me. In fact, I laughed at him more than anything else. The most memorable scene was the one with him in the nurses costume. That wasn’t a “haunting” scene, it was hilarious.

Bale was great. He’s the definitive Batman.

Eckhart was great as Harvey Dent. He was unconvincing as Two Face. But I don’t completely fault him for that. The whole dynamic between him and Dawes was very unconvincing to me. I didn’t buy the chemistry between them. Which made it hard to believe Two Face’s rage. There wasn’t really any transformation, in that sense. Harvey just had half his face blown off and got pissed because his girlfriend was killed. I just didn’t buy it, and it ruined the last half of the movie for me.

The ferry scene was great. Like Jason, I also guessed about three different ways it would end, and I was wrong on all three. It was a great ending to that scene, I only wish that it had affected The Joker more. It didn’t really seem to phase him, which bothered me. Batman was right, that scene proved that the Joker was wrong in that not everyone was as depraved as he was.

I got really annoyed at the whole subtext of Batman not wanting to kill the Joker. I mean, c’mon. In Batman Begins, the main line of the climax of the movie was Batman saying “I won’t kill you. But I don’t have to save you.” Hello??? Why couldn’t Batman take that stance against someone as depraved and sick as the Joker? Huge plot hole, in my opinion.

The last nit I have to pick is that of the Joker’s ending. In that, there was none. I can understand they might have wanted to leave that ending open in case they wanted to someday bring him back (of course, not possible now) but here’s the problem. The plot had already proven to us that, even when he gets caught, the Joker can get out of it. The only sticky situation the Joker can’t get out of is death. So why leave him alive at the end? It made the ending incredibly open-ended, so much so that it left the movie feeling incomplete.

In all, a great action flick with lots of stuff blowing up and cars flipping over, but the plot and casting really exposed a lot of holes in this movie, making it just a summer popcorn comic book flick, not the masterpiece or close-to masterpiece I had been reading about for the last month.

Just watched it and...

The movie was haunting. There were certainly some plot holes and abbreviated scenes such as .... SPOILER ALERT........ when Bruce saved Rachel from the roof fall. After a brief exchange, the movie just cut to another scene without resolving what the Joker did or went afterwards. However, these deficiencies were more than overshadowed by the overall power of the film which of course stemmed a lot from Heath Ledger as the Joker.

*** SPOILERS ******
    As for best moments, the pencil scene was awesome but the first video broadcast made from a hand-held camcorder by the Joker (terrorizing the fake batman) probably takes the cake for me.

Quote Originally Posted by dkbaseball View Post
    Kind of a strange complaint to make in a thread about a Christopher Nolan film. Memento isn't a perfect film, but it's certainly not one in which plot is an afterthought.

Quote Originally Posted by feldspar View Post
    I got really annoyed at the whole subtext of Batman not wanting to kill the Joker. I mean, c’mon. In Batman Begins, the main line of the climax of the movie was Batman saying “I won’t kill you. But I don’t have to save you.” Hello??? Why couldn’t Batman take that stance against someone as depraved and sick as the Joker? Huge plot hole, in my opinion.

The last nit I have to pick is that of the Joker’s ending. In that, there was none. I can understand they might have wanted to leave that ending open in case they wanted to someday bring him back (of course, not possible now) but here’s the problem. The plot had already proven to us that, even when he gets caught, the Joker can get out of it. The only sticky situation the Joker can’t get out of is death. So why leave him alive at the end? It made the ending incredibly open-ended, so much so that it left the movie feeling incomplete.
    Because the climax of Batman Begins was a serious misstep that almost derailed the entire movie.

Batman doesn't just let people die, even villains. That's his limit, and he won't let anyone push him past it, not even the Joker. That's the only way he can win, because, as the movie noted, the Joker has nothing to lose.