View Poll Results: What's your favorite booze?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Gin

5 10.00%
  • Rum

8 16.00%
  • Tequila

1 2.00%
  • Vodka

8 16.00%
  • Whisky

22 44.00%
  • Other

6 12.00%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    My choice is Rum and Coke. Captain Morgan's Spiced Rum is nice.
    I love Appleton Estate. It makes a great cuba libre and is smooth enough to stand on it's own. I like to hold the glass and warm it up. Yummmmmmmm.

This may be another "well duh" question

Quote Originally Posted by Windsor View Post
    Scotch...single malt.

End of story.
    please explain to me the difference between a single and double malt. I know scotch drinkers are passionate about the one they drink but i don't know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedawg View Post
    please explain to me the difference between a single and double malt. I know scotch drinkers are passionate about the one they drink but i don't know the difference.

Malt refers to the malt barley used in scotch making. (soak the barley until it germinates, then smoke it until it dries - usually you add peat to the fire) Based on how long it soaks, the composition of the smoke etc. Malt barleys can vary from distillery to distillery.

All scotch is 'single malt' until bottling. The difference is - in a single only the product of one malt is used. In blended casks of different scotches (and different malts) are blended together and bottled

I like single malts...when they are good they are very very good (and when they are bad they are paint thinner). Single malts can vary greatly from one distillery to another...and which one is your favorite depends on your personal taste. It is a little like wine...some like fruity others not...in scotch some like a very peaty smokey flavor. Blendeds (and some of those are excellent as well) seem, in my humble opinion to be more middle of the road terms of flavor. If you like a peaty scotch you'd be happier with single malts than blended.

I think when I get home there is a bottle with my name on it (assuming my names is Glenfiddich )

Quote Originally Posted by Windsor View Post
    Malt refers to the malt barley used in scotch making. (soak the barley until it germinates, then smoke it until it dries - usually you add peat to the fire) Based on how long it soaks, the composition of the smoke etc. Malt barleys can vary from distillery to distillery.

All scotch is 'single malt' until bottling. The difference is - in a single only the product of one malt is used. In blended casks of different scotches (and different malts) are blended together and bottled

I like single malts...when they are good they are very very good (and when they are bad they are paint thinner). Single malts can vary greatly from one distillery to another...and which one is your favorite depends on your personal taste. It is a little like wine...some like fruity others not...in scotch some like a very peaty smokey flavor. Blendeds (and some of those are excellent as well) seem, in my humble opinion to be more middle of the road terms of flavor. If you like a peaty scotch you'd be happier with single malts than blended.

I think when I get home there is a bottle with my name on it (assuming my names is Glenfiddich )
    Well put.

Among blended Scotches, many are made with a mixture of several malts along with grain (corn) whisky. It's why they are generally looked down upon.

There are some blended Scotches that have only malt whisky (barley). Among these is Johnnie Walker Green Label, which is a blend of four separate malt whiskies. It is the best blended Scotch I've had, and is better than many of the cheaper single malts.

Good Irish whiskey is also all barley (and the cheaper ones are blends with grain whiskey like blended scotches). Most Irish whiskeys use a blend of malted barley and un-malted barley. Hence why you rarely see single malt Irish whiskey (b/c it's not all malted). Bushmills is the only distillery I can think of who makes one. However, you can still have Irish Whiskey that is made from all barley with no grain whiskey in it. This is usually called Pure Pot Still whiskey.
    Last edited by DukeUsul; 07-17-2008 at 04:43 PM. Reason: typo

I useta would drink Cheerwine and vodka.

Enthralled with the basketball term "tip nasty," a friend of mine at Duke decided you could make a new drink name for anything by adding vodka to it and calling it nasty. So he'd go to freeland at the Washtub during finals and get some free Coke. Add vodka and you've got Coke Nasty.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    My choice is Rum and Coke. Captain Morgan's Spiced Rum is nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by ArnieMc View Post
    I make cherry Jello with a cup of Coke (hot) and a cup of Captain Morgan's. Excellent! - and, since I use sugar free Jello, it's guilt free.
    Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    Rum and coke ain't bad at all. I'm also a big fan of Morgan and ginger ale -- by some strange alchemy, it tastes like cream soda.
    For all you Morgan fans..."Arrrrghhhhhh!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    You guys are wayyyyyyyy to affluent. OLD CROW!
    Old Crow. Now there shows your age. Next you may tout the pleasures of Four Roses.

Quote Originally Posted by TNTDevil View Post
    Whiskey. Bourbon. Knob Creek.

Like no other...
    Such fine taste. So happy to find a fellow hobknobber.

Quote Originally Posted by Inonehand View Post
    Such fine taste. So happy to find a fellow hobknobber.
    Indeed! A happy Knob "howdy" to ya!

Nothing better than the "Creek" on ice...

Whisky

Lagavulin, 16 yrs

The Macallan, 18 yrs