Page 56 of 107 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866106 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,120 of 2134
    Quote Originally Posted by FireOgilvie View Post
    Kyrie is the one looking at A&M, but you're definitely right about Iowa State. Look at what Craig Brackins has done there.
    I apologize for my goof there. Yes - you guys have got my head spinning with Kyrie and Harrison. Some things really do feel right about the situation so I encourage all of you to enjoy these moments and these young men as they get the most out of higher learning. There's no telling how much they'll pick up from their visits to different universities. Both of these young men are bringing some very new things to the game.

I'd also like to point out that Harrison's blunt honesty in his description of the "UNC fiasco" was reminiscent of a certain coach that we all admire around here.

Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    ...reminiscent of a certain coach that we all admire around here.
    Jim Calhoun?

Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    Not if he goes to Texas A&M - or Iowa State for that matter. As evidenced by his diaries he is already adjusting to the speed of the college game. Add his work ethic to that and Harrison could be an absolute beast at one of those schools - and some of the competition would give him points in buckets...
    Good point. He'd have a shot to put up similar #'s as he'd be the best player by far on the team, but it still wouldn't be apples to apples. Durant was on a better team, made the NCAAs and won a game. I don't think anyone is talking about an Iowa St. post season run any time soon, though we're still an entire season from HB matriculating anywhere so lots could happen (no holding of breath here)

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    Good point. He'd have a shot to put up similar #'s as he'd be the best player by far on the team, but it still wouldn't be apples to apples. Durant was on a better team, made the NCAAs and won a game. I don't think anyone is talking about an Iowa St. post season run any time soon, though we're still an entire season from HB matriculating anywhere so lots could happen (no holding of breath here)
    I'm assuming you guys are just exploring the hypothetical situation, but I doubt it would have much appeal to Harrison either way. Seeing as he'll be a top-5 pick wherever he goes, his two primary goals for college are likely a) win a championship, and b) prepare himself for the NBA. Playing in the ACC on a team stacked with NBA talent under a HOF coach (either Duke or UNC) puts him in a much better position to achieve these goals than playing for an Iowa State or a similar program. It's not like he really needs to generate any more hype by stuffing the stat sheet in college.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    I'm assuming you guys are just exploring the hypothetical situation, but I doubt it would have much appeal to Harrison either way. Seeing as he'll be a top-5 pick wherever he goes, his two primary goals for college are likely a) win a championship, and b) prepare himself for the NBA. Playing in the ACC on a team stacked with NBA talent under a HOF coach (either Duke or UNC) puts him in a much better position to achieve these goals than playing for an Iowa State or a similar program. It's not like he really needs to generate any more hype by stuffing the stat sheet in college.
    But of course, and it's much better than expressing disappointment over every little thing that doesn't go our way. This is basketball.

I like to envision Harrison in a number of ways. I think he could accomplish MUCH of what Durant has AT Duke and could even more likely pull a Carmelo. But if it's not at Duke I most certainly think that his imprint would be much larger - especially at a school like ummmm, UCLA. (hopefully I got this one right)...

UCLA seems like a dark horse around here but they've got it all. The banners. THE Coach. The NBA players. Final Fours. The Banners. I'm interested in seeing what Harrison has to say about them.

Dickie V is getting in on the recruitment action:

http://proxy.espn.go.com/espn/dickvi...ory?id=4554034

Biggest surprise in the article? He only says 'baby' once.

Quote Originally Posted by jesus_hurley View Post
    Biggest surprise in the article? He only says 'baby' once.
    Wow, there was absolutely zero useful information in that "article." But it sure did get my excited

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Wow, there was absolutely zero useful information in that "article." But it sure did get my excited
    You just summed up Dick Vitale as a commentator and announcer right there and I love him for it.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    You just summed up Dick Vitale as a commentator and announcer right there and I love him for it.
    Yeah, if you ever see Vitale on Espn Classic doing games back in the 80's, he was really good and insightful. Not any more!

At least we have Bob Knight providing insight these days.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    ... It'd be tough to call him better than Durant was in HS, but at least an argument could be made. Its almost impossible for him to achieve Durant's success as a Freshman, however.
    I believe that was intended as a complement, implying that Harrison could be a consensus player of the year and an exciting offensive player. However, I think that in some ways, the comparison is not apt.

Harrison at Duke could well be player of the year, but would be a much more well rounded player. With he, Nolan and Kyrie pushing the ball and penetrating, and with Andre and Seth setting up at the three-point line, and Miles, Mason and Ryan cutting to the basket, I think Harrison could be a comparable offensive machine (lower ppg, but more apg). With Harrison's work ethic, skill set, and good coaching, I think Harrison will be viewed as more of a Grant Hill player, a player who can do everything on the court, including point forward, and is considered a very good defender.

Durant is a top player, but he is not a well-rounded player:

The Thunder have, over the last two years, consistently performed worse than normal when Durant is on the floor. Any way you slice the +/- numbers, he's one of the Thunder's worst players.
    In fact, almost nobody on the Thunder has a +/- rating as poor as Durant's. Winston rates Durant's performance "in the lowest 10% of all NBA players."

... Durant is an absolute gem of a keeper. You can't teach size and mobility. It's hard to teach that kind of feel for getting the ball in the hole. There are times in games when nothing matters more than being able to reliably create your own shot and he already has that. The things he doesn't have -- and nobody denies they exist -- can and will be learned. ...

Meanwhile, the things that make him inefficient -- mediocre passing, forcing some shots, turnovers, not making teammates better, and of course bad defense -- are all things that improve ...
    http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/...Conundrum.html

good comparison

i think the Grant Hill comparison is a good one. I believe (jmo) that Barnes is better entering college than Battier was. I certainly think he has a chance to have an exceptional freshman year, i just hope it's in Durham.

Quote Originally Posted by verga View Post
    i think the Grant Hill comparison is a good one. I believe (jmo) that Barnes is better entering college than Battier was. I certainly think he has a chance to have an exceptional freshman year, i just hope it's in Durham.
    Shane Battier won national high school player of the year in his senior year. Harrison Barnes may do the same, but I'm not so sure you can say with any degree of confidence that he's better than Battier was. Because Shane's first two years at Duke were relatively quiet (compared to his last two years), I think people forget how good he was coming out of high school.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    I think people forget how good he was coming out of high school.
    Because it's much easier to talk about the unknown than to research what is known...

To be honest, I look at what Harrison is doing and I'm amazed. The attention he's received in the last few years has been tremendous. He's writing diaries. He's addressing rumors. He's dropping 50. He's walking to school. He's delivering babies on airplanes on the way to Midnight Madness at schools where they HAVE people to worship - but alas, they wait on Harrison.

This kid is actually making me enjoy the recruiting process. It's been methodical and it's not OJ Mayo on campus one day to destroy your program. He's SERIOUS about this...

And he's gonna enjoy it. He mentions many of the players that he plays with by name. He knows he won't play with them all but he knows he'll definitely play AGAINST some of them. He's taking it all in and he'll be a better recruit for whatever school he chooses because of it.

I don't agree

Shane Battier won national high school player of the year in his senior year. Harrison Barnes may do the same, but I'm not so sure you can say with any degree of confidence that he's better than Battier was. Because Shane's first two years at Duke were relatively quiet (compared to his last two years), I think people forget how good he was coming out of high school.
    I usually agree with you, Kedsy, but my impression of Battier his first two years was that he was amazing on defense, but very, very hesitant on offense. Shane won the Wooten award, or something like that, but I don't think anyone thought he was the most talented player coming out of high school.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    I usually agree with you, Kedsy, but my impression of Battier his first two years was that he was amazing on defense, but very, very hesitant on offense. Shane won the Wooten award, or something like that, but I don't think anyone thought he was the most talented player coming out of high school.
    Battier had offensive skills coming out of high school. He won the three point shooting contest at the McDonalds game. IIRC, he hit two threes during his freshman Blue/White game. Battier always played the role needed on the team. If they had needed more offense his first two years, I suspect we would have seen more of it.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    I don't think anyone thought he was the most talented player coming out of high school.
    Shane Battier won the 1997 Naismith national high school player of the year award. So somebody thought he was the best player.

This is a big time award, that went to Kobe in 1996, LeBron in 2003, Dwight Howard in 2004, and many other top players. Last year it was awarded to Derrick Favors.

Let's just hope Harrison doesn't get jumped by the Kansas football team this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by I Was Framed View Post
    Heck, Duhon won the award his sr year, but most of the top players in that class were jerks, academic no shows, or worse. And there were no stand out super talents those years.
    Actually, Duhon did not win the Naismith award. Gerald Wallace was the Naismith winner in 2000 (Duhon's senior year of high school).

Actually, Duhon did not win the Naismith award. Gerald Wallace was the Naismith winner in 2000 (Duhon's senior year of high school).
    I believe that Duhon won the McD's or Gatorade player of the year award.