Page 5 of 107 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jacalcio18 View Post
    According to today's 850 the buzz, Dave Telep says Barnes is a lock to go to Duke. I won't allow myself to totally believe it until he's officially committed but it sure would be good news during this slump.
    Let's be a little more specific here. That was a person calling into the show (David Glenn afternoon show), saying they had a personal conversation with Dave and he said Duke was a lock for Barnes. Number one, I don't think Dave would have said that had he known it'd end up somewhere other than his site and to my knowledge he hasn't said it there, so we are to take this as truth? And two, we are talking of an unnamed guy who called into the show here. IMO, this is the kind of stuff which makes recruiting threads pretty much useless if you are looking for accuracy. FWIW, it's no secret Duke is "the" favorite for Harrison Barnes. I for one would love to see the recruiting threads in this forum revisited in how they are presented for they are getting awfully muddled with he said, she said stuff.
    Last edited by watzone; 02-17-2009 at 09:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by watzone View Post
    Let's be a little more specific here. That was a person calling into the show (David Glenn afternoon show), saying they had a personal conversation with Dave and he said Duke was a lock for Barnes. Number one, I don't think Dave would have said that had he known it'd end up somewhere other than his site and to my knowledge he hasn't said it there, so we are to take this as truth? And two, we are talking of an unnamed guy who called into the show here. IMO, this is the kind of stuff which makes recruiting threads pretty much useless if you are looking for accuracy. FWIW, it's no secret Duke is "the" favorite for Harrison Barnes. I for one would love to see the recruiting threads in this forum revisited in how they are presented for they are getting awfully muddled with he said, she said stuff.
    part of the ups/downs - excitement/distress of following the recruiting process.

Quote Originally Posted by Ignatius07 View Post
    I would agree that it's critical to have at least one (preferably more) guy on a team who is a one-and-done threat when he steps on campus.
    It might help, it might hurt. K is all about chemistry and the "team" philosophy, and bringing in a guy who shakes up your lineup and sends a starter to the bench or reduces others' roles can have a net negative impact on the team, even if he is a stud. Witness: JJ Hickson and State last year.

Barnes looks to be an elite level talent in a very talented class, but I still don't think he's one and done for sure. Time will tell. I must admit, I didn't realize it was "no secret" that Duke is "THE" favorite for his services...encouraging at the least...

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    Barnes looks to be an elite level talent in a very talented class, but I still don't think he's one and done for sure. Time will tell. I must admit, I didn't realize it was "no secret" that Duke is "THE" favorite for his services...encouraging at the least...
    Seems to me I saw somewhere that Harrison Barnes' mother works for Iowa State University? That wouldn't necessarily insure that he would stick around college if the NBA came calling, but it probably works in that direction. Families who work in education tend to have a high regard for the value of a college education and college experience.

Ahh...the life of recruit-niks...first we worry about getting a recruit and then worry about him leaving early.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Seems to me I saw somewhere that Harrison Barnes' mother works for Iowa State University? That wouldn't necessarily insure that he would stick around college if the NBA came calling, but it probably works in that direction. Families who work in education tend to have a high regard for the value of a college education and college experience.

Ahh...the life of recruit-niks...first we worry about getting a recruit and then worry about him leaving early.
    Yes and that's b4 they even enroll. If we had to bet our life savings on what these young men do when it comes to recruiting we would be living on the streets. Go Duke!

6. New video of Harrison Barnes. He'd look very nice in a Duke uniform. Already looks to have a nose for D (he even takes a charge) and has great body control. Another important piece of a very important class.

Two things

1. What size school is this?

B. I felt like I was watching Princeton Vs. Harvard.

Other than that I love body control too, he seems sneaky like Scheyer snaking away around defenders, but with big time athleticism. I like what I see. There have been some great players come out of Iowa believe it or not. Let's hope he's a Devil!

Quote Originally Posted by Huh? View Post
    1. What size school is this?

B. I felt like I was watching Princeton Vs. Harvard.

Other than that I love body control too, he seems sneaky like Scheyer snaking away around defenders, but with big time athleticism. I like what I see. There have been some great players come out of Iowa believe it or not. Let's hope he's a Devil!
    Ames (and their opponent in this video, Waukee) are in the 4-A classification, the largest schools in Iowa. Ames is currently ranked #1 in the state, but have not won a state title since Fred "The Mayor" Hoiberg played for them in 1991.

Barnes appears to be multi-talented.

I really hope we land this kid.

Obviously the level of competition isn't the best, but the sequence where he drives to the rim and throws down a dunk, and then immediately flies back on defense to reject a shot was awesome.

He's got a great build for his age, and nice handles for his size. If we can get Barnes, the Class of 2010 will be just what the doctor ordered.

Harrison Barnes scored 27 points as Ames HS finished the regular season with a 20-0 record:

http://www.amestrib.com/articles/200...d661533248.txt
    Bob Green

Barnes will reportedly attend the Kansas - Iowa State game this evening.

I will let you know if he wears Iowa State clothing and boos a lot. That would be a bad sign for both of us (Iowa State has the booing-est fans in the history of the sport - in KU's game in Ames this year, they booed the refs when their player was subbed in to intentionally foul and then did his job...repeatedly).

Barnes' comments in that linked article (also on DBR front page) are currently being analyzed for nuance and meaning by former Kremlin-watchers and Alan Greenspan disciples.

Well, the comments mean nothing. He's just being coy and playing the game. You don't wear Duke clothing to the Duke-UNC game in Durham for no reason. He's pretty clearly a Duke lean and I can't imagine anything could happen to change that outside of him coming to his freaking senses.

The team Ames is playing in that video is a suburban school without a lot of athletes. Ames game on Friday will be different. Des Moines Hoover is pretty athletic at all 5 positions and I think they are at about 16-4.

That being said, I don't know that there is a team in the area that can hang around with Ames until they get to the state tournament. Then there are a couple of teams from the Eastern part of the state who could give them a good game.

I saw Barnes in a recent interview (after the Duke/UNC trip) saying that he wasn't taking any more visits at least until his HS season was over. But that could be subject to change obviously.

Yeah, well, he said he wasn't taking anymore trips before March and then up and went to Durham. He's apparently a fly-by-the-seat-of-his-pants type of guy...

ack, well, forget this article - it's incorrect. no visit after all.
    Last edited by crimsonandblue; 02-18-2009 at 02:19 PM. Reason: Updated info

Anyone know if Harrison had a Kansas or Iowa State shirt on for the Wed. night game between the two programs?

Harrison Barnes

My friend in Iowa said his mom was on the news this morning and theres a very good chance he could decide soon, which is awesome news for us, and she also mentioned he may attend Oak Hill next year for better competition.

That rumor was floated on our local sports radio station by a guy who likes to put things out there without doing a lot of "fact checking". Barnes family quickly released a statement that there was no merit to him leaving for Oak Hill and wouldn't discuss any future plans until after the season.

Barnes Ames team has qualified for the State Tournament which begins on Wednesday. The Championship game is a week from tomorrow.

No particular informaton on Mr. Barnes, but the idea of going to Oak Hill (or a similar prep school) for a year makes sense for an elite prospect in my view.

There's a higher level of competition, presumably a higher level of coaching, plus the additional experience of being away from home and perhaps a more rigorous academic environment (from what I've read, Barnes' current high school is very good for a public high school). Good for personal and professional development...a little tough on the family.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    No particular informaton on Mr. Barnes, but the idea of going to Oak Hill (or a similar prep school) for a year makes sense for an elite prospect in my view.

There's a higher level of competition, presumably a higher level of coaching, plus the additional experience of being away from home and perhaps a more rigorous academic environment (from what I've read, Barnes' current high school is very good for a public high school). Good for personal and professional development...a little tough on the family.
    Barnes is a great student and he plays a big role with his family, especially his sister. While he is not opposed to going away for college, he will finish out his high school career in Iowa. While it is true the comp is not what it would be at an Oak Hill, he had no problem whatsoever adjusting to the NBA Top 100 Camp last season against the nations best. In fact, his stock took off about that time.