Page 48 of 107 FirstFirst ... 3846474849505898 ... LastLast
  1. Quote Originally Posted by eightyearoldsdude View Post
    The Shav battle was huge, but it was a welterweight Doh going against a heavyweight K, compounded by the fact that K already had a center on board, IIRC, whereas we only had guards. This time around, it's two hall of fame heavyweights in their prime.
    No doubt, and the fact that it was as close as it was speaks volumes about UNC's institutional and cultural advantages in recruiting. Even given how much injury killed Shav's career (relative to expectations - he's still in the NBA!) that recruiting "win" was a very big deal for Duke.

In the same way, and fairly or not I think Barnes is being perceived as a referendum on K's ability to go toe-to-toe with Roy in light of those same advantages. Barnes will make his own decision for his own reasons, but I completely understand why so many folks are putting so much stock in this battle, no matter how long Barnes sticks around or what he does on the court.

what if

Since it seems that everyone has put their negative spin on things here, I thought I would put down a positive conspiracy theory.

What if it went down like this:

Coach K and HB have their in home visit. Coach leaves and says I will see you in a couple of weeks for your OV.

HB really liked K, and has made his decision that Duke is where he wants to go.

HB being well rounded kid he is decides to do the respectful thing and call coach Williams. He tells them he apprecitates everything they have done for him, but he has decided to go with Duke.

Coach Williams says he understands, but would like to sit down and talk with him before he before he declares. Being the tough recruiter that Roy is, he gets on a plane to see HB, to give one final pitch.

Now obviously none of this is inside information, but it is just as informed as any "guess" as to what HB is doing. As for Odom, he has no more inside info from the Duke and UNC camp, than we do. I just thought maybe we could just put a positive spin on something for once. Not trying to bust anyone's chops, because I am just as pessimistic as anyone else on this board. But I just want to hope for the best on this, so we don't have to sit on pins and needles for the next few weeks, or months.

Go Duke

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I'm stoked he will be able to see a game on his visit, plus experience the Duke crowd that will make up homecoming.
    Homecoming already passed...it was against NCCU (when Kyrie was on campus).

Quote Originally Posted by Oriole Way View Post
    I think a key to all this is if Barnes keeps his official visit to Kansas as originally planned. Their Midnight Madness is on the same night as UNC's. If Barnes is as torn between Duke and UNC as many believe, and if UNC is the leader at this point, I think he would cancel his visit to Kansas and go to UNC's Midnight Madness instead.

If Barnes keeps all of his visits intact and makes the official visit to Duke, which some outlets have already confirmed since last night, then I think visiting the campus, hanging out with the players again, getting shown some love by the students (in whatever way the students can without breaking rules), and perhaps just as importantly impressing his mom on Parent's Weekend, then hopefully Barnes winds up in Durham where he belongs.
    I don't think this will be a huge indicator. He gets a free trip to Kansas for Phoggy Night or whatever they call it, so going there instead of somewhere else (on his own dime) seems logical, even if he's leaning somewhere else.

It would be a HUGE tip-off if he did cancel an OV to go somewhere else, though. But I don't think any meaning can be gleaned one way or the other simply by going on OVs as planned.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilCastDownfromDurham View Post
    In the same way, and fairly or not I think Barnes is being perceived as a referendum on K's ability to go toe-to-toe with Roy in light of those same advantages.
    Here's my question: is it perceived that way by anybody who matters?

I can't imagine K, the staff, the administration, or the team perceive it that way. I'd be surprised if high school recruits perceive it that way or even care. In what way is this supposed perception relevant to anything?

Quote Originally Posted by DBFAN View Post
    Since it seems that everyone has put their negative spin on things here, I thought I would put down a positive conspiracy theory.

What if it went down like this:

Coach K and HB have their in home visit. Coach leaves and says I will see you in a couple of weeks for your OV.

HB really liked K, and has made his decision that Duke is where he wants to go.

HB being well rounded kid he is decides to do the respectful thing and call coach Williams. He tells them he apprecitates everything they have done for him, but he has decided to go with Duke.

Coach Williams says he understands, but would like to sit down and talk with him before he before he declares. Being the tough recruiter that Roy is, he gets on a plane to see HB, to give one final pitch.

Now obviously none of this is inside information, but it is just as informed as any "guess" as to what HB is doing. As for Odom, he has no more inside info from the Duke and UNC camp, than we do. I just thought maybe we could just put a positive spin on something for once. Not trying to bust anyone's chops, because I am just as pessimistic as anyone else on this board. But I just want to hope for the best on this, so we don't have to sit on pins and needles for the next few weeks, or months.

Go Duke
    I love another optimist on the board, but this doesn't work temporally. Roy was on the ground in Ames before Duke's OV with Harrison Barnes was over. A positive spin would be that Harrison wanted to give Roy one more chance to change his mind on going to Duke and Roy finagled his way into the meeting being after Duke's in-home, with it being the last day the two can have face-to-face contact. Harrison relented, making both coaches have equal opportunity to give him their pitch. Even after everything Roy has thrown at Harrison, he still hasn't received a commitment. Realizing that this was his last chance to make an impact, Roy slyly scheduled the visit to come immediately following K's, in the waning moments of the contact period. Roy pushed for a commitment, didn't get one, and now Duke has it's last chance to make an impact coming on the weekend of October 23rd. K will seal the deal, and Harrison Barnes will be wearing number 40 in Duke Blue in '10-'11.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Here's my question: is it perceived that way by anybody who matters?

I can't imagine K, the staff, the administration, or the team perceive it that way. I'd be surprised if high school recruits perceive it that way or even care. In what way is this supposed perception relevant to anything?
    I suppose there are divergent views on how much general fan (and some media) sentiment matters. We've certainly had those debates regarding "Duke hate" in the past. Some would argue that a perception that K has lost his fastball would be harmful in recruiting in the same way that the (unfair) view that Duke is not welcoming to some populations hurts recruiting. Others aren't persuaded by that logic and, with Duke hate, embrace the "Evil Empire" mentality.

I'm probably somewhere in between, but I do think it would be naive to ignore fan perceptions altogether. There's no question that negative recruiting would include those types of claims. As always, just my $0.02.

As for Odom, he has no more inside info from the Duke and UNC camp, than we do. I just thought maybe we could just put a positive spin on something for once. Not trying to bust anyone's chops, because I am just as pessimistic as anyone else on this board. But I just want to hope for the best on this, so we don't have to sit on pins and needles for the next few weeks, or months.

Go Duke
    I'm pretty sure that's not right. Odom was a college coach, which probably means he spent a huge chunk of his life in the college basketball world, which probably also means that he has connections and inside information, something that the vast majority of the "Duke and UNC camp" don't have.

While I was completely confused by Odom's interview, I do believe that something fishy is going on. What it is, I have no idea, but there is definitely something cooking. I just hope that the main ingredient is Duke...

Quote Originally Posted by DevilCastDownfromDurham View Post
    I suppose there are divergent views on how much general fan (and some media) sentiment matters. We've certainly had those debates regarding "Duke hate" in the past. Some would argue that a perception that K has lost his fastball would be harmful in recruiting in the same way that the (unfair) view that Duke is not welcoming to some populations hurts recruiting. Others aren't persuaded by that logic and, with Duke hate, embrace the "Evil Empire" mentality.

I'm probably somewhere in between, but I do think it would be naive to ignore fan perceptions altogether. There's no question that negative recruiting would include those types of claims. As always, just my $0.02.
    I understand what you're saying, and I can see how erroneous reports of K's demise could hurt recruiting, but IMO it would have to be a demise on the court, something that perhaps could be fueled by Duke's recent misses in the NCAA tourney but negated by K's recent success in the Olympics. It's hard for me to believe that a recruit would look at any coach missing on another recruit and think, "boy, I don't know if I want to even play for a guy who can't even recruit so-and-so." I just can't imagine that's how young men think.

My .02 cents (since everyone is throwing theirs in...)

Hi,

A ton of so-called "Duke haters" are just that, but if their son or daughter were admitted to Duke somehow Duke wouldn't be so bad. I imagine some would even decide to sent their child to the Gothic Wonderland. Now, there are die-hard Carolina folks who might not. I am talking about the general "Duke hating" population as a whole.

Kids who play basketball at a high level fall into this camp. I would love to know, for example, what Sean Dockery's family thought of Duke before it became apparent he would really have a shot of going there. I imagine Duke suddenly became a lot better place (good academics too ).

GO DUKE!

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    I understand what you're saying, and I can see how erroneous reports of K's demise could hurt recruiting, but IMO it would have to be a demise on the court, something that perhaps could be fueled by Duke's recent misses in the NCAA tourney but negated by K's recent success in the Olympics. It's hard for me to believe that a recruit would look at any coach missing on another recruit and think, "boy, I don't know if I want to even play for a guy who can't even recruit so-and-so." I just can't imagine that's how young men think.
    I see your point and, for the most part, agree with it. However, here's what I sometimes think a player is thinking when recruited by us

Recruit's thoughts: "Why didn't said player go to Duke? I heard that it was his top choice, and yet he didn't go? That seems a little strange to me. What did he see that I didn't? I like Coach K, he sees me as a star, but what is the catch?"

I know I'm over-thinking it, but I can't help it. That's just the way I see it. I don't think that's the main reason we've missed out on recruits lately (I attribute that to the fact that Duke hatred has somehow increased significantly in the past 10 years).

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/duke/story/6149424/#

-K/Wojo/"Nathan" were there for 3 hours, Roy about an hour and a half.

-Barnes' coach knew K was coming, was unaware Roy was coming until after the fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    http://www.wralsportsfan.com/duke/story/6149424/#

-K/Wojo/"Nathan" were there for 3 hours, Roy about an hour and a half.

-Barnes' coach knew K was coming, was unaware Roy was coming until after the fact.
    Barnes' coach was unaware Roy was coming...doesn't say Barnes was

Maybe

Maybe I misread the article, but it seems like it said K was unaware Williams was coming, but HB already knew.

This is beginning to sound like there are differing opinions in the Barnes family. Perhaps Barnes himself is still not sure, but family members are pulling one way or the other?

The good thing is that while they seem willing to put in their opinions, ultimately they plan to leave it to Barnes. I don't mean that to sound like I think Barnes will choose Duke, but rather that it should be his decision in the end.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I'm stoked he will be able to see a game on his visit, plus experience the Duke crowd that will make up homecoming.
    Apparently it's Parent's Day..not HC. Either way it will be crowded.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

So has there been no report of how the Duke visit went, other than to say that Carolina came too?

Maybe I misread the article, but it seems like it said K was unaware Williams was coming, but HB already knew.
    K apparently left earlier then his initial flight intended (okay well i've heard that). I guarantee K knew Roy was coming before he left that house.

Anyway...it is impossible to know what went on right now...in time...

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    So has there been no report of how the Duke visit went, other than to say that Carolina came too?
    It went well. Not much news comes out of in-home visits...

Quote Originally Posted by Tim1515 View Post
    K apparently left earlier then his initial flight intended (okay well i've heard that).
    Where is this info from?