Page 45 of 107 FirstFirst ... 3543444546475595 ... LastLast
    To be fair i thought i heard K did a similar thing after UNC's official visit.

This just proves how valuable Barnes has become.

Relax people. This isn't the first time this has happened, probably not the last either. It's part of recruiting. Coach K has done things that may be shady. I know alot of other schools disagree with the whole Austin Rivers thing, REGARDLESS that Austin asked for Duke to recruit them.

There's alot of shady things that go on with recruiting. Let it go...

8:15 on a Monday evening in Ames, Iowa.

Knock, knock.

Mrs. B: Who's knocking on our door at this time of night? Harrison, go see who that is.

HB: It's Coach Roy, Mom. You know I can't talk to him because of those NCAA rules.

Mrs. B: Well, tell him to get going...honestly, a grown man who flies out to knock on our door when he can't even say anything.

HB: He's still out there, Mom. Just drinking a Coke and smiling. Yeah, I think he's leaving now...

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Kaufman View Post
    Looks like Coach K visited with Barnes this morning.
    Yes, it appears that Coach K made the same move on 9/9. It was received slightly differently on the board.

Quote Originally Posted by shoutingncu View Post
    Yes, it appears that Coach K made the same move on 9/9. It was received slightly differently on the board.
    From the link you posted:

"Coach K came in early this morning to watch me lift," said Harrison Barnes late Wednesday night. "It really shows how serious they are about me. To get up that early and come in like that shows a lot." Sounds like the attention was welcomed...in this case.

There is a pretty significant difference. K went to watch Harrison lift the day after his OV to Carolina. Here, Roy literally scheduled an in-home with Harrison hours or minutes after K finishes his.

I guess it's a difference in opinion, but I don't think the situations are exactly the same.

The recruiting period ends tomorrow, whereas it was still ongoing the day following UNC's in-home. I think the key difference is that K stopped in the following morning, on a different day. Roy is barging on in literally hours after Duke's in-home visit. K gave UNC their day, I just think this is a BS move by Roy.

Quote Originally Posted by Oriole Way View Post
    Apparently Roy Williams was on a flight to Iowa today to see Barnes... after K's in-home visit.

flightaware.com/live/flight/N817MB

On the surface it seems ike a desperate move, but it is unclear whether the Barnes family knows about this or accomodated it in any way. If that were the case, that obviously can't be good for us.

As far as I understand, Roy is not allowed to directly contact Barnes or his family. So he is (I am guessing) going to Ames just to wave to Harrison, not unlike Billy Donovan would do years ago when he unsuccessfully recruited Shavlik Randolph. I just hope Barnes didn't ok the Roy appearance.
    And the first write up about it is out:
    http://www.accsports.com/blogs/jim-y...-household.php

Well, HB's a smart kid, maybe he sees through Ol' Roy's tricks. In any event, I'll lose my sleep to more pressing issues.

Quote Originally Posted by jesus_hurley View Post
    And the first write up about it is out:
    http://www.accsports.com/blogs/jim-y...-household.php
    So... the conversation from earlier today was that Roy had used up all his direct-contact visits already and was just going to "wave" at Harrison, but that article implies Roy had a legit 2nd in-home visit directly following K's. That's a big distinction. Is that possible? Are coaches allowed to have 2 in-home visits with recruits?

If it's true, I would kind of hate that Roy managed to sneak in 2 while K had 1, and be a little worried that Harrison OK'd it. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    So... the conversation from earlier today was that Roy had used up all his direct-contact visits already and was just going to "wave" at Harrison, but that article implies Roy had a legit 2nd in-home visit directly following K's. That's a big distinction. Is that possible? Are coaches allowed to have 2 in-home visits with recruits?

If it's true, I would kind of hate that Roy managed to sneak in 2 while K had 1, and be a little worried that Harrison OK'd it. Oh well.
    Well most who follow Duke recruiting closely were under the impression that Roy had used his 3 face-to-face visits, but apparently he pulled a fast one on everyone and he had only used two (in other words, one of the visits everyone thought was face-to-face was actually of the non-contact variety). That's my rudimentary understanding of the situation, from what I can gather. People like Watzone have probably been doing some investigating and should be able to tell us more in the coming days.

I agree with your second statement. This is basically a really bad development for Duke any way you look at it. For Williams to be able to get a second in-home visit, no matter how desperate he was for it or how hard he had to sell it, means that Barnes is highly receptive to him. I have to imagine K and the staff are furious about this. Roy Williams is a punk, but I'm very discouraged by Barnes' willingness to meet with him right after K's visit.

Ultimately though, I think we can still land Barnes as long as he makes his official visit.
    Last edited by Oriole Way; 10-06-2009 at 03:16 AM.

Maybe K could fly back and wave to him as he went to his high school? This is a strategy first used by Billy D. when Shav was being recruited. He waved to Shav as Shav entered Broughton High but I might add to no avail. Maybe Ol'roy was just doing a room check. I believe stalking is a crime in Iowa.
    Last edited by Devilsfan; 10-06-2009 at 03:42 AM.

I wasn't even following this that closely...

Hi,

For some reason what Ole Roy did really bothers me. Maybe it is because I see us losing a star recruit to UNC. Oh well. Guess I better get some sleep, nothing I can do to help the situation one way or another.

There is reason to worry. Like a Canadian Mountie, Deputy Dawg always gets his man.
    The University of North Carolina
    Where CHEATING is a Way of Life

Nothing to worry about? he came two hours later to talk to the man.

I do have respect for Roy, and I'll give him a pass on this, but it seem's very "Caliparish" to me for him to come in at the last second for a visit if even within the rules, etc. It just doesn't pass the "smell" test as far is what is the "right" thing to do. Then again, many can say the same with Duke as far as Austin Rivers is concerned. Just goes to show you how cutthroat the world of college recruiting recruiting in basketball and football is.

And now I have that pit in my stomach wondering now how the Barnes recruitment will turn out. Given the past few runner-up finishes with PP, Monroe and Boynton when it seemed with at least two of them Duke was the favorite, the pessimistic side of me is starting to overtake my optimistic side here with regards to Barnes. The other question is, what potential impact may this have on Irving as it has been noted that he and Barnes do have some form of friendly relationship and have mentioned the possibility of playing together. Definitely didn't expect this stress to set in...ughhhh!

Sorry

But I don't see how Duke is doing anything wrong with Rivers. He came to us. Right?

I thought about it. If coach K had done this to Roy, I would have been jumping up and down happy. So, I can't say he's wrong to do it. I am looking forward to this just being over.

I hope that I am wrong, but as a life long Red Sox fan this feels like the Sox and Yankees battling to sign Mark Teixeira. The ESPN scroll reported the Sox GM and management team was flying to Dallas to meet w/Teixeira with the implication that he would sign that night. While the Sox entourage was in the air, the Yanks came in at the last minute and subsequently closed the deal. I hope I am wrong but there are too many Roy and UNC stories for my comfort.

Exclamation Weak

Not impressed by Ole' Roy...and to be honest I am no longer worried if we get HB or not. It is a sealed deal. HB is just toying with Roy now. He will eventually put on that Duke Blue hat and stay on the correct side of 15501 and we can all go back to laughing at Roy Williams....

Note to Self: ALWAYS HAVE YOUR FIRST CUP OF COFFEE BEFORE POSTING ON DBR.