Page 37 of 107 FirstFirst ... 2735363738394787 ... LastLast

Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    But, the question is how much does Harrison correlate Michael Jordan to Carolina?
    Doesn't pretty much EVERYBODY correlate Jordan to UNC?

I think...

Quote Originally Posted by slower View Post
    I think the point was everyone knows he played for the Bulls, it is not as commonly known amongst the younger crowd that he was a stud at PUNC. I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    This Duke-PUNC recruiting battle over Harrison Barnes has really heated up. I wonder if there will be much scorn from whichever side he doesn't pick?
    I hope not. I learned long ago to get past things I have no control over.

The college recruitment of a 17 year old kid being handled by the best coaches/programs in the country would qualify as something I have no part in.

I'm just along for the ride. But if he doesn't pick UNC, I really hope he picks Duke. After all this, I really want to see him play in that rivalry.

I am hearing from lots of UNC fans that are members of premium that they are the leader for Barnes at this point. Obviously, somebody is wrong. Hopefully, them bc I am still under the belief that we are leading and will land Barnes.

Unless you grew up in Carolina and/or were a college basketball history buff, why would you if you were a high school basketball player born around the time MJ was hitting a jumper to beat Georgetown and would be growing up without ever seeing Jordan not winning at the beginning of his NBA career.

In the heat of the Tobacco Road rivalry and for those who follow CBB, yes. For a die-hard NBA fan w/ no interest in CBB, maybe not.

I'm a huge NFL fan but once those guys get in the pros I couldn't care less what college they went since I'm not that big of a college football fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheat/"/"/" View Post

The college recruitment of a 17 year old kid being handled by the best coaches/programs in the country would qualify as something I have no part in.

I'm just along for the ride. But if he dosen't pick UNC, I really hope he picks Duke. After all this, I really want to see him play in that rivalry.
    IMO you are entirely too mature for continued posting on a public board. You should be banned for too high a level of pondering and civility.

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    Unless you grew up in Carolina and/or were a college basketball history buff, why would you if you were a high school basketball player born around the time MJ was hitting a jumper to beat Georgetown and would be growing up without ever seeing Jordan not winning at the beginning of his NBA career.
    These days most college basketball players were born around the same time he was winning NBA championships. Their first memory of MJ is probably in a Wizards uni....
    Last edited by jesus_hurley; 09-16-2009 at 01:52 PM. Reason: Qualifing 'championships'

I correlate MJ with Da'Bulls, #45 trying to play baseball, and to the rumors of him being a "whale" gambling on the golf course.

Sigh...

Quote Originally Posted by jesus_hurley View Post
    These days most college basketball players were born around the same time he was winning NBA championships. Their first memory of MJ is probably in a Wizards uni....
    Just showing my age, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by CMS2478 View Post
    I am hearing from lots of UNC fans that are members of premium that they are the leader for Barnes at this point. Obviously, somebody is wrong. Hopefully, them bc I am still under the belief that we are leading and will land Barnes.
    I'm a member of TDD Premium and the feeling is still, and has been for a long time that Duke is in the lead for this kid.

Things will ebb and flow, and right now Carolina has made the most profound and immediate impact on Barnes. Wait till we get our in-home and OV and see what everyone is saying then. Carolina has already spent those two bullets, Duke hasn't.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jesus_hurley View Post
    for the latest installment of I must be getting older. Next you're going to tell me Laettner is 40 years old.

When I was a kid...

Yeah, I'd like to say that it's some consolation that people DON'T associate Jordan with UNC. But I know in my heart that it just means I'm getting old

Oh, well - time to go eat my oatmeal!

Personally, I'm of the opinion that trying to guess where a 17-year old athlete will decide to go to college is nearly impossible.

I'm not really surprised that both Duke fans and UNC fans feel they are in the lead. When I hear UNC fans feel Barnes will end up at Duke or vice versa, then it may be news to me.

As for the Jordan thing, choosing UNC because Jordan went there seems similar to choosing NC State because Thompson went there. A lot has changed since the days of MJ. Barnes wouldn't play on the same court, under the same coach, under the same rules, etc. If that's truly the deciding factor, I'll be surprised ... but as I've said, trying to guess what will influence a 17-year old's decision is nearly impossible.

Harrison took the opportunity for an all-expenses paid trip to watch the UNC alumni game. He got to learn more about the nature and depth of the best rivalry in all of sports.

He then hosted one of the hottest coaches in the sport, got a chance to pick his brain, hear Roy's plan for Harrison's development.

I still like our chances. We still have the two official visits. Harrison has visited on his own dime to surprise Coach K, and has toured our training facilities, and has seen a game in the best venue in basketball. Academics are a huge plus.

The visit for Coach K's bday shows that he and K are developing a relationship - call it corny, but that is a huge part of Coach K's cache.

That Harrison and Kyrie are going through the process at the same time and communicate really helps. Duke is the only school they are both considering, so there will be much bonding as they discuss Duke, which will enhance their mutual perception of Duke.

Roy may actually be helping our chances for Harrison, raising Harrison's interest in the rivalry. If you want to be the best, you want to play against good competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheat/"/"/" View Post

I'm just along for the ride. But if he doesn't pick UNC, I really hope he picks Duke. After all this, I really want to see him play in that rivalry.
    I sure wish I could say the same if he picks unc, but I must be honest and say I can't. The reason is there are more idiot unc fans than fans like you. You may feel the same way about us Duke fans and if you do that's ok. I know there are more obnoxious unc fans because there many, many more of them. I used to have to work with them. I think that I will be safe in saying this. If Harrison chooses unc, Coach K will still treat him with respect and will be there for him if needs anything. That's just who Coach K is. I don't feel that same way about old roy. Go Duke!

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Harrison took the opportunity for an all-expenses paid trip to watch the UNC alumni game. He got to learn more about the nature and depth of the best rivalry in all of sports.

He then hosted one of the hottest coaches in the sport, got a chance to pick his brain, hear Roy's plan for Harrison's development.

I still like our chances. We still have the two official visits. Harrison has visited on his own dime to surprise Coach K, and has toured our training facilities, and has seen a game in the best venue in basketball. Academics are a huge plus.

The visit for Coach K's bday shows that he and K are developing a relationship - call it corny, but that is a huge part of Coach K's cache.

That Harrison and Kyrie are going through the process at the same time and communicate really helps. Duke is the only school they are both considering, so there will be much bonding as they discuss Duke, which will enhance their mutual perception of Duke.

Roy may actually be helping our chances for Harrison, raising Harrison's interest in the rivalry. If you want to be the best, you want to play against good competition.
    And everyone's favorite early bird - Dawkins - has a good relationship with the both of them and looking at how his situation turned out would make me think hard about going to Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    I sure wish I could say the same if he picks unc, but I must be honest and say I can't. The reason is there are more idiot unc fans than fans like you. You may feel the same way about us Duke fans and if you do that's ok. I know there are more obnoxious unc fans because there many, many more of them. I used to have to work with them. I think that I will be safe in saying this. If Harrison chooses unc, Coach K will still treat him with respect and will be there for him if needs anything. That's just who Coach K is. I don't feel that same way about old roy. Go Duke!

I think you're right, but I have heard funny stories like from Nick Collison when he chose KU over Duke, but that's neither here nor there.

I hope Harrison doesn't pick UNC because Jordan was there and Vince and all that stuff. Who cares? Sure, you might be a part of history I guess, but what a shallow reason to pick a school to play for. It's not like Jordan is going to be there watching you play every night and holding your hand while you walk to class. Not to say that James McAdoo made the wrong choice or anything, but honestly? You could be missing out on seeing some cool stuff if you're sitting there star struck and in awe of someone (there is going to be plenty of moments like that in the future if you are being recruited by Duke and UNC) If this was the best recruiting pitch you can make, Indiana St. would be doing better than they are because of Larry Bird.

Jordan's help overrated

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoCrazy84 View Post
    I hope Harrison doesn't pick UNC because Jordan was there and Vince and all that stuff. Who cares? Sure, you might be a part of history I guess, but what a shallow reason to pick a school to play for. It's not like Jordan is going to be there watching you play every night and holding your hand while you walk to class. Not to say that James McAdoo made the wrong choice or anything, but honestly? You could be missing out on seeing some cool stuff if you're sitting there star struck and in awe of someone (there is going to be plenty of moments like that in the future if you are being recruited by Duke and UNC) If this was the best recruiting pitch you can make, Indiana St. would be doing better than they are because of Larry Bird.
    That was one of the best thoughts I have ever read. If Jordan had graduated 5-6 years ago ok it would be different, but lets be real Jordan is not going to be the deciding factor. Its going to be who gives him the best chance to be the best player. I will feel better once basketball starts for Barnes and Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    And everyone's favorite early bird - Dawkins - has a good relationship with the both of them and looking at how his situation turned out would make me think hard about going to Duke.
    Are you saying Dawkins's situation would be a positive or a negative for Duke? (I would hope positive but I'm not sure what you mean.)