Page 22 of 107 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272 ... LastLast
    Easy guys. And since we talk about everything else under the sun - recruits are more than fair game...

Nice article, thanks for posting Gman. This kid has so many similarities to Battier, what is the protocal of having someone like Shane having a sit down to talk about what Duke can do to develop the whole person? Is it allowed? Can't help but think that those two would really connect.

I have been really excited about the prospect of having Harrison as a Blue Devil. However, having read the article, and noting that he will be a program changer, I guess we'll have to pass.

Quote Originally Posted by DeepBlue70 View Post
    Nice article, thanks for posting Gman. This kid has so many similarities to Battier, what is the protocal of having someone like Shane having a sit down to talk about what Duke can do to develop the whole person? Is it allowed? Can't help but think that those two would really connect.
    Pretty sure it is not allowed. I think UNC got a minor recruiting violation recently for a similar instance, though it was apparently incidental when a recruit happened to be playing in a game with Raymond Felton.

http://www.crackedsidewalks.com/2007...ecruiting.html

This is the story, couldn't find a better source on short notice.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisheery View Post
    Pretty sure it is not allowed. I think UNC got a minor recruiting violation recently for a similar instance, though it was apparently incidental when a recruit happened to be playing in a game with Raymond Felton.

http://www.crackedsidewalks.com/2007...ecruiting.html

This is the story, couldn't find a better source on short notice.
    Coincidentally, Shumpert ended up at Georgia Tech...

Apparently Harrison Barnes is playing at some kind of Nike Global Challenge in Oregon along with Kyrie Irving and Ray McCallum and a ton of other players (including a few UNC guys). I don't know much about it, but here is a link:

http://highschoolsports.oregonlive.c...ters-and-more/

It looks like it starts on Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by FireOgilvie View Post
    Apparently Harrison Barnes is playing at some kind of Nike Global Challenge in Oregon along with Kyrie Irving and Ray McCallum and a ton of other players (including a few UNC guys). I don't know much about it, but here is a link:

http://highschoolsports.oregonlive.c...ters-and-more/

It looks like it starts on Friday.
    Harrison tore it up in an overtime victory over Serbia.

http://www.primetimepdx.com/ngc/ngc0...res/game06.htm

46 points, 14 rebounds, and 4 steals.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post

Damn right. I know it was OT, but 46 points..

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post

Wow! That's amazing. He shot a ridiculous 6-13 from 3 pt range.

Does anyone besides me think...

That possibly our chance to become a "dynasty" again rests on the commitment of Harrison Barnes? We really don't have too many scoring threats or immediate impacts coming in so far. Anyone?

I'm willing to bet a lot of people will come through this thread and say you're wrong, that Harrison Barnes isn't crucial to the immediate future of Duke basketball, but I have to say I feel the same way. Our team has a ton of potential for growth over the next few years (Dawkins, Curry, the Plumlees, not to mention the already established Singler, who may or may not be around for Barnes' hypothetical arrival), but this potential might not be realized if we don't score Barnes and a point guard of similar caliber. We need him to bridge the gap between transition teams to championship teams.

Quote Originally Posted by CMARTZ View Post
    I'm willing to bet a lot of people will come through this thread and say you're wrong, that Harrison Barnes isn't crucial to the immediate future of Duke basketball, but I have to say I feel the same way. Our team has a ton of potential for growth over the next few years (Dawkins, Curry, the Plumlees, not to mention the already established Singler, who may or may not be around for Barnes' hypothetical arrival), but this potential might not be realized if we don't score Barnes and a point guard of similar caliber. We need him to bridge the gap between transition teams to championship teams.
    Wow.. that was very well put. But to back my own point up. Do we honestly think..Curry, Dawkins, Plumlee 1+2, Kelly, Hairston and thornton are a down the road championship team? (And BTW that list of players isn't including any players that have not verbaled to Duke.)

A definite maybe if Harrison and a top point guard is added and one of the Plumlees improves drastically. Couple that with the scoring of Dawkins and Curry and of course the teaching of Coach K. I think we could (should) hang another banner.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueequalslife23 View Post
    Wow.. that was very well put. But to back my own point up. Do we honestly think..Curry, Dawkins, Plumlee 1+2, Kelly, Hairston and thornton are a down the road championship team? (And BTW that list of players isn't including any players that have not verbaled to Duke.)
    You can also include Nolan Smith and possibly Kyle Singler.

Who knows, by his junior year the investment in the project Olek Czyz currenty a work in process may pay some dividends.

Scheyer will of course be missed and the two journeymen bigs Lance and Z will by then be replaced by the Plumlees, Kelly and Hairston.

So yes if say Irving replaces Jon; and Barnes replaces Henderson/Williams;, all the pieces should be there.

In that scenario, I think Kyle might just stick around to seal his legacy. Some of that depends on how close Duke comes this year, whether close enough to think these two and Curry would make the difference without Jon.

Otherwise it is just these two replacing Jon and Kyle and everybody else having another year of experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueequalslife23 View Post
    Curry, Dawkins, the Plumlees, and Ryan Kelly all have the potential to contribute a LOT, and with them all relatively unknowns other than Curry being the leading scorer in the nation as a freshman (not too shabby) they may indeed prove to be the core of a title winning team.

More coverage from Portland

http://highschoolsports.oregonlive.c...day-two-recap/

There's extensive coverage of the Nike games from this oregonlive Website.

Scroll down for a video with Harrison Barnes highlights and an interview.

Wow!

He really would look good in Duke blue. Loved that block down low. The offense wasn't bad, either.

Quote Originally Posted by ACCBBallFan View Post
    You can also include Nolan Smith and possibly Kyle Singler.

Who knows, by his junior year the investment in the project Olek Czyz currenty a work in process may pay some dividends.

Scheyer will of course be missed and the two journeymen bigs Lance and Z will by then be replaced by the Plumlees, Kelly and Hairston.

So yes if say Irving replaces Jon; and Barnes replaces Henderson/Williams;, all the pieces should be there.

In that scenario, I think Kyle might just stick around to seal his legacy. Some of that depends on how close Duke comes this year, whether close enough to think these two and Curry would make the difference without Jon.

Otherwise it is just these two replacing Jon and Kyle and everybody else having another year of experience.
    Your putting in too many IF's. Kyrie Irving is not even close to a lock. I can't comfortably pencil him in , And as for Harrison... as each day goes by i see our chances go with it...

Day 3

http://www.primetimepdx.com/ngc/ngc0...res/game10.htm

Harrison Barnes finished the Nike Global Challenge competition with 28 points in his third game. Also playing in that game were UNC commit Kendall Marshall, and Duke prospects Terrence Jones, Austin Rivers, Ray McCallum, and Quincy Miller.

http://www.primetimepdx.com/ngc/ngc0...res/game12.htm

Kyrie Irving also had an outstanding tournament, finishing with 26 points as his team won the championship.