Page 17 of 107 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dgoore97 View Post
    from the article:

Last year, I saw, but didn’t pay much attention to, a rising junior named Harrison Barnes. I’m paying more attention this year, not least because… well, you’ll see soon enough. First impression of arguably the nation’s top senior? He’s long—the sort of long where he almost seems to expand when he plays.
    Ha ha! I like the sleuth in you!

Oh yeah, this one just hit me. I'm bout to go party for the night but I just recalled something that seems to have been overlooked.

HB is very spiritual, as evidenced by his Wednesday prayer classes at his high school.

It just occured to me that Duke is a very spiritual school and I'm surprised that the Trinity folks hadn't zero'd in on that. Sounds like a stupendous fit...

Quote Originally Posted by phillyheel View Post
    I partied constantly at Duke while at NCSSM in the early 80s. There were great parties just about every weekend we went down. Did the party scene die after the BOZOs were disbanded?
    I was with them in the 70's. We were partied to the extreme at Brown House.

Brown House

Quote Originally Posted by heyman25 View Post
    We were partied to the extreme at Brown House.
    Things have changed, I'm afraid. Brown is now the substance free, healthy living, Christian well-being house. Lets just say that those Brown kids are a little different these days from their predecessors of years past

Quote Originally Posted by FreezingDevil View Post
    Brown is now the substance free, healthy living, Christian well-being house.

That's a shame.

Not exactly

Quote Originally Posted by FreezingDevil View Post
    Things have changed, I'm afraid. Brown is now the substance free, healthy living, Christian well-being house. Lets just say that those Brown kids are a little different these days from their predecessors of years past
    I lived in Brown my freshman year, and while it is "substance free", that hasn't really changed the people who live there. The majority of the kids I knew in Brown chose it because they could party elsewhere and come back to a quiet place to sleep.

So...I wouldn't say the Brown kids are any different even with the change to substance free.

Quote Originally Posted by Boozer View Post
    I can vouch for that one. I was in line behind him at one of the stereo equipment stores one day when he was discussing additions to his system in the Land Cruiser..

One of my few "being near a star moments" in life...
    Grant LOVED the boom!!!

i make da hippity hop go boom...

Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    Oh yeah, this one just hit me. I'm bout to go party for the night but I just recalled something that seems to have been overlooked.

HB is very spiritual, as evidenced by his Wednesday prayer classes at his high school.

It just occured to me that Duke is a very spiritual school and I'm surprised that the Trinity folks hadn't zero'd in on that. Sounds like a stupendous fit...
    Cameron Indoor Stadium and Duke Chapel---an unbeatable combination. Both are impressive, and should seem especially so to a young man like Harrison.

On another note, can anyone else think of someone that does such powerful and graceful dunks as Harrison without saying a word? Tim Duncan perhaps? (but then you would have to throw out the graceful part)

I mean, in my mind I can see a few guys but noone stands out other than Battier - who was more or less a 'take or leave it' kinda dunker.

Talking A little story about speakers...

Quote Originally Posted by Boozer View Post
    I can vouch for that one. I was in line behind him at one of the stereo equipment stores one day when he was discussing additions to his system in the Land Cruiser..

One of my few "being near a star moments" in life...
    Actually this reminds me of a pretty funny story I have. As far as 'star' moments, I've had tons, but athletes are a bit of a different breed. Not quite as unapproachable as other stars. Not groomed for the cameras but groomed for the fields and the courts.

Ok, so me and some friends are up in Detroit staying with Allan Houston. He's hot at the time and is actually already plotting his escape to New York. Of course we go to a game, and afterwards I get to catch up with Grant too which was pretty cool. Even funnier is that some kids walked up to me b/c I was standing between Juwan Howard and Chris Webber's mom who was at the game for some strange reason, and asked for my autograph - f' it, I gave them my autograph. I figure they thought I was Lindsey Hunter - everyone got a kick out of that of course.

We all decide to go out and geez... Somehow I get stuck with the rookie - Theo Ratliff. Who not only is an unknown to me but was also a total bama. LOL! If you know where Theo went to school well, you understand.

So as everyone pulls off in their hot whips with music blaring, here I am with Theo and another of our friends in his brand new Yukon... with a FACTORY system!!! Lawd. Theo insisted on turning that music up. It was driving me freaking nuts. Speakers popping. Tweeters screaming. I LOVE hip hop but never has it been so unpleasant in my life.

Happily for me - Theo has gotten more into custom systems.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ruiting.camps/
    Harrison Barnes, 6-6, 206, Ames, Iowa: Allow me to damn Barnes with faint praise. For someone who is widely recognized one of the top three players in his class, he's a little underwhelming. He's not a freak athlete by any measure, and he certainly does not strike me as a candidate to be one-and-done. That said, I can see why so many schools (Duke and Kansas are among the leaders) covet him so zealously. He's extremely smooth and efficient, and for a player with his size and athleticism, he is an amazing long-range shooter. Barnes tends to settle for the outside shot a little too much, but when he does decide to attack the rim, he is very effective. He's also a highly skilled interior passer. He has drawn comparisons to Shane Battier, but I'd say he's a little more flashy (and a much better scorer) than Battier was at this stage. In conversation, Barnes comes across as very serious and intelligent. It's quite obvious he will be an asset to any college campus, and not just on the basketball court.
    Read what you will into that... "certainly does not strike me as a candidate to be one-and-done" is a pretty strong statement from Seth Davis, and one that goes against everything else I've heard (including projections of him going #1 in 2011). Kind of strange.

However, I personally would be happier with having a more-skilled-Battier for 2+ years than an undeniable 1-and-done anyway, so my fingers are crossed tighter than ever!

We shall see...

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ruiting.camps/

Read what you will into that... "certainly does not strike me as a candidate to be one-and-done" is a pretty strong statement from Seth Davis, and one that goes against everything else I've heard (including projections of him going #1 in 2011). Kind of strange.

However, I personally would be happier with having a more-skilled-Battier for 2+ years than an undeniable 1-and-done anyway, so my fingers are crossed tighter than ever!
    Despite his Duke degree, Seth Davis has always struck me as a bonehead.

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/9...ege-basketball

If there was ever a recruit MADE FOR DUKE UNIVERSITY...

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/9...ege-basketball

If there was ever a recruit MADE FOR DUKE UNIVERSITY...
    Hes the kind of kid you cheer for wherever he goes.

Except unc,ky,md,uc,fl and a select few others.

Quote Originally Posted by geraldsneighbor View Post
    Hes the kind of kid you cheer for wherever he goes.
    I completely agree, and I truly hope people remember this if the unfortunate event occurs and HB chooses a school other than Duke.

(Unless it's UNC, then all bets are off.)

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Happily for me - Theo has gotten more into custom systems.
    Cool story. Nothing worse than someone blasting with a system that sounds like all the speakers are blown (and usually they are).. but yeah Grant loved his ride and his system..

As for Harrison, the kid is like perfect in all aspects. Scary actually. Surely he has a fault in some area??

As for how long he stays in college, I think that speculation is wasting time. That decision is going to be different for every kid and there is no way to predict it.

A small few will state one and done intentions and follow through with it, but with most it is a process that is dependent on mutiple factors. The kid, his situation, his development, his family needs, etc etc all play into the decision and no two kids are the same.

First objective is get him to Duke. We can worry about how long he stays once we get him..
    Last edited by -jk; 07-13-2009 at 08:43 PM. Reason: Fix quote tag

I'm wondering what if HB does a Carmelo Anthony. Win a C-ship and decides to leave because he has done what he came to do. I would be happy but I would also love to see if he can repeat and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by dukefanbrooklyn View Post
    I'm wondering what if HB does a Carmelo Anthony. Win a C-ship and decides to leave because he has done what he came to do. I would be happy but I would also love to see if he can repeat and so on.
    Slow, slow slo slo slow slo slo slow slooooooooowwwww down...