Page 12 of 107 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 240 of 2134
  1. #221
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Quote Originally Posted by jyuwono View Post
    Pre-business types at Duke (i.e. those that get jobs in finance and consulting) tend to be Econ grads with perhaps a certificate in Markets & Management. As long as you select your classes carefully within these two departments, you can get a very good business education.

    Personally, I think getting a business degree for undergrad is a waste of time. 18-22 year olds simply haven't experienced enough to appreciate a "soft" science like business. This is why all the top schools -- even those with top tier MBA programs -- like Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, etc. do not offer an undergrad business degree.

    Hopefully someone close to Barnes has explained all this.
    Ahhhh, yes, someone with sense has commented on the subject!

    Only a handful of universities offer business degrees, and they are generally laughed at by the rest of the academic world. 18 year olds should not know how to run a business - rather, they should be learning how multiple businesses (ie the economy) is run on a marco scale (ie an Econ degree).

    Unfortunately, IMO, the markets and management certificate is quite useless (I didn't get one but many of my friends got one). It's interesting but doesn't provide you with much. Just learn econ from Fullenkamp and you're good to go!

  2. #222
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Philly
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Just learn econ from Fullenkamp and you're good to go!
    Mr. Bowtie himself. Since graduating I think I use more of what Fullenkamp taught me than all of my other classes combined.

  3. #223
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Nashville
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Only a handful of universities offer business degrees, and they are generally laughed at by the rest of the academic world.
    No offense, but that's a pretty ridiculous and sweeping statement to make. Sure, there certain schools with catch-all "business" majors that are a little silly, but do you really think an undergraduate finance degree from somewhere like Wharton is laughable compared to an Econ degree from Duke?

    I mean, I hope Harrison does, but...

  4. #224
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Philly
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    do you really think an undergraduate finance degree from somewhere like Wharton is laughable compared to an Econ degree from Duke?
    Of course it isn't laughable, but you said a FINANCE degree, not a BUSINESS degree, like FDD said.

    A "business" degree incorporates finance, marketing, sales, management, etc., so they are not one in the same.

    Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Only a handful of universities offer business degrees (emphasis added)

  5. #225
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Nashville
    Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    Of course it isn't laughable, but you said a FINANCE degree, not a BUSINESS degree, like FDD said.

    A "business" degree incorporates finance, marketing, sales, management, etc., so they are not one in the same.
    Well... that is true in some cases, but the degree given by many of the top undergrad programs for say, finance, is a BS in business or commerce (with a concentration in finance or the appropriate area).

    I'll shut up now because I don't think we're disagreeing in principle, I just had to come to the defense of my degree!

  6. #226
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    Well... that is true in some cases, but the degree given by many of the top undergrad programs for say, finance, is a BS in business or commerce (with a concentration in finance or the appropriate area).

    I'll shut up now because I don't think we're disagreeing in principle, I just had to come to the defense of my degree!
    I have a business degree from Duke, too, and I never thought it was laughable. At least not any more than any other degree.

    I think the overall point is HB can get the kind of education he's looking for from Duke even though he won't technically be a "business" major. My guess is he already knows this.

  7. #227
    Harrison Barnes come to DUKE! If there was ever the perfect match between an athlete and a school this is it.

    He appears to be of the Grant Hill, Shane Battier, and Jason Williams mold. Unbelievable talent and amazing head on his shoulders. Probably no coincidence that those 3 players had a hand in our 3 National Championships. All talented and smart. Come on Harrison...bring us the 4th banner. Come to DUKE!

  8. #228
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    A starter couldn't have said it any better!

  9. #229
    Did Barnes just have a visit to UNC and Duke? If so, any news on how it went?

  10. #230
    any info here?

  11. #231
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Lewisville, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    Did Barnes just have a visit to UNC and Duke? If so, any news on how it went?
    Saw some reports about his visit to Chapel Hill, where he attended one of their camps, and spent some time with Ole Roy. Sounded like Team Barnes was generally impressed.

    Haven't seen much about his stop in Durham. In rose-colored tea-leaves reading, I kind of like that. The kid raves about every school he visits, but has visited Duke more often, and now is not saying much.

    Seems like a great fit...hope he comes to Duke.

  12. #232
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Nashville
    I've seen a few snippets from subscription articles over the past week or so confirming that A) HB came away with a good overall impression of UNC, and B) (maybe more importantly) HB did also visit Duke while he was in town.

    I wouldn't expect him to say anything else about Carolina, and I have to think it's a good sign that he stopped by to see "the good guys" once again during his UNC visit.

    I would certainly be curious as to if any of our "insiders" have heard anything more on this, though...

  13. #233
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Lewisville, NC
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...nes/index.html

    Nice feature article from SI on Harrison Barnes.

  14. #234
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Deeetroit City
    Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...nes/index.html

    Nice feature article from SI on Harrison Barnes.
    Hope the handwritten letters are from our staff. Sounds like that school will be tough to beat.

  15. #235
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    raleigh
    this kid is pretty smart......and the fact that he referred to Condoleezza Rice as "the third most powerful person in the world" instead of "minion of satan" would imho make me think that perhaps his politics might be right leaning.....i know that's a stretch from just one statement, but......stilllllll....

  16. #236
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington, DC area
    Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    this kid is pretty smart......and the fact that he referred to Condoleezza Rice as "the third most powerful person in the world" instead of "minion of satan" would imho make me think that perhaps his politics might be right leaning.....i know that's a stretch from just one statement, but......stilllllll....
    Let's not get sidetracked, please.

    -jk

  17. #237
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    raleigh
    not getting off track.....it would seem that if the young man's politics ran along his perspective coach's party lines, that would be as positive as hand-written letters from staff.....

    no?

  18. #238
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    18-22 year olds simply haven't experienced enough to appreciate a "soft" science like business. This is why all the top schools -- even those with top tier MBA programs -- like Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, etc. do not offer an undergrad business degree.
    This is largely unrelated to the topic and perhaps one of the most incomplete arguments I've seen on this board! How many 18-22 year olds have experienced enough to appreciate soft sciences like sociology? You could make a similar argument for many disciplines, not just business. Everybody at that age is relatively inexperienced, that's why they go to school!

    "all the top shcools" not offering undergrad business degrees has little or nothing to do with your line of reasoning. It's more about $ and resources. Are Penn (Wharton), Cornell and MIT not top schools? They all offer undergrad business degrees.

  19. #239
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Atlanta, GA/Durham, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...nes/index.html

    Nice feature article from SI on Harrison Barnes.
    Seriously, all bs aside, this is a kid to get excited over. This is the kid whose thread should be the length of the "John Wall" thread. This is the kid that could probably sell me some Nikes right now. And you guys wanna debate business schools?

    I don't know about yall but I need to see a few more Harrison Barnes mix tapes, and since he's so silky smooth, perhaps with a little Miles Davis in the background.

    Handwritten letters for donations? Wow. In the day of modern computer that is something rarely done and the sentiment does indeed go a long way - especially when that kid probably had you at "hello".

    And then the mom... I love her! Downplays making varsity and plays a little chess by stopping through Duke unannounced - something you do when apparently something seems to good to be true (and it appears to continue to hold up might I add). Just wonderful.

    The Jordan obsession is not unheard of in my world but what's sweet about hers in particular is that she has NO video of Michael Jordan in a UNC uniform. Just a little reading through and smudging the lines on my part.

    I mean, geez, does he speak italian when he's delivering babies in the back of cabs that he's driving? I'm simply blown away by this kid.

    Have I gushed enough?

  20. #240
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Virginia
    Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    Seriously, all bs aside, this is a kid to get excited over. This is the kid whose thread should be the length of the "John Wall" thread. This is the kid that could probably sell me some Nikes right now. And you guys wanna debate business schools?

    I don't know about yall but I need to see a few more Harrison Barnes mix tapes, and since he's so silky smooth, perhaps with a little Miles Davis in the background.

    Handwritten letters for donations? Wow. In the day of modern computer that is something rarely done and the sentiment does indeed go a long way - especially when that kid probably had you at "hello".

    And then the mom... I love her! Downplays making varsity and plays a little chess by stopping through Duke unannounced - something you do when apparently something seems to good to be true (and it appears to continue to hold up might I add). Just wonderful.

    The Jordan obsession is not unheard of in my world but what's sweet about hers in particular is that she has NO video of Michael Jordan in a UNC uniform. Just a little reading through and smudging the lines on my part.

    I mean, geez, does he speak italian when he's delivering babies in the back of cabs that he's driving? I'm simply blown away by this kid.

    Have I gushed enough?
    I think a little man crush is well deserved. He does sound like he comes from a similar mold as two of Duke's greatest Hill and Battier. Hopefully he will come to Duke so that we can continue the tradition of not only having great basketball players but having great individuals who also play basketball (really well by the way).

Similar Threads

  1. Harrison Barnes Video
    By RainingThrees in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-22-2009, 02:54 PM
  2. Harrison Barnes visit reminder - CC's be ready
    By Smitty1911 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 10-28-2008, 09:05 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •