Page 11 of 107 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast
    Any chance he might commit this weekend at Duke? It has happened before...

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    Any chance he might commit this weekend at Duke? It has happened before...
    Consulting tea leaves as we speak...

You mean there's a chance?

There is always a chance -- otherwise we wouldn't play the game!

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    http://www.desmoinesregister.com/art...0811/906200320

Nice article on Harrison Barnes from the Des Moines paper.

One of my favorite lines from the article:
    "Van Coleman, an Iowa-based recruiting analyst who's been in the business for more than 30 years, said Barnes reminds him of Chicago Bulls forward Luol Deng and his basketball smarts are reminiscent of Grant Hill."

Hmmm...what do those two have in common?
    Anyone else notice that he's now talking about a school with a strong ECON department...

Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    Anyone else notice that he's now talking about a school with a strong ECON department...
    There is no mention of economics departments in the article. The writer suggests that Barnes is looking for a strong "business program." There is a huge difference between studying business and economics.

Quote Originally Posted by JG Nothing View Post
    There is no mention of economics departments in the article. The writer suggests that Barnes is looking for a strong "business program." There is a huge difference between studying business and economics.
    But he did say this...

"It's important because I need a school with a lot of connections in economics, to set me up with internships and job opportunities after college," Barnes said.

A Bachelor of Science Degree in Economics from Duke coupled with a good G.P.A. is pretty impressive. Businesses headed by Dukies all over America have internship programs.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
    A Bachelor of Science Degree in Economics from Duke coupled with a good G.P.A. is pretty impressive. Businesses headed by Dukies all over America have internship programs.
    Even GM. Ooooops.

Quote Originally Posted by johaad View Post
    But he did say this...

"It's important because I need a school with a lot of connections in economics, to set me up with internships and job opportunities after college," Barnes said.
    Right - and you would think he said that after looking at what certain schools had to offer - i.e. strong ECON depts...

Duke Econ

Check it out:

http://www.econ.duke.edu

Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    Right - and you would think he said that after looking at what certain schools had to offer - i.e. strong ECON depts...
    When Barnes talks about "economics connections" I am sure he means business connections. He mentions reading a book by Warren Buffett, not Amartya Sen or someone like that.

There is a huge difference between economics departments and business schools. Modern economics is dominated by the mathematical study of human behavior. Business schools teach students how to run businesses. This distinction is important because there is no undergraduate major in business at Duke, although I think you can get a certificate in management or something like that.

Having said that, I am sure there is a great Duke network in the business world. Probably the second most common stereotype of Duke undergrads (besides the New Jersey thing) is that they all go into investment banking.

I'd rather have an Economics Degree from Duke than a business degree from chapels hill.

I rather suspect that if a athlete with high name recognition wished to leverage a Duke degree into an opening into the business world, some options would be available.

Quote Originally Posted by JG Nothing View Post
    When Barnes talks about "economics connections" I am sure he means business connections. He mentions reading a book by Warren Buffett, not Amartya Sen or someone like that.

There is a huge difference between economics departments and business schools. Modern economics is dominated by the mathematical study of human behavior. Business schools teach students how to run businesses. This distinction is important because there is no undergraduate major in business at Duke, although I think you can get a certificate in management or something like that.

Having said that, I am sure there is a great Duke network in the business world. Probably the second most common stereotype of Duke undergrads (besides the New Jersey thing) is that they all go into investment banking.
    I'm not sure what you are trying to argue. If he wants economic connections or business connections doesn't really matter b/c Duke has both.

That fact of the matter is that he went from speaking of business to talking about economics - something that would suggest he's been looking at economics programs and how they relate to business at the schools he's interested in. He's a smart kid and he's doing his homework.

And as far as the stereotype goes - well you just sound silly.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    I rather suspect that if a athlete with high name recognition wished to leverage a Duke degree into an opening into the business world, some options would be available.
    You could be the right hand man of the President of the United States!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Even GM. Ooooops.
    Yeah, now GM is run by a Harvard Law grad

18. Pre-business types at Duke (i.e. those that get jobs in finance and consulting) tend to be Econ grads with perhaps a certificate in Markets & Management. As long as you select your classes carefully within these two departments, you can get a very good business education.

Personally, I think getting a business degree for undergrad is a waste of time. 18-22 year olds simply haven't experienced enough to appreciate a "soft" science like business. This is why all the top schools -- even those with top tier MBA programs -- like Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, etc. do not offer an undergrad business degree.

Hopefully someone close to Barnes has explained all this.

Quote Originally Posted by jyuwono View Post
    Pre-business types at Duke (i.e. those that get jobs in finance and consulting) tend to be Econ grads with perhaps a certificate in Markets & Management. As long as you select your classes carefully within these two departments, you can get a very good business education.

Personally, I think getting a business degree for undergrad is a waste of time. 18-22 year olds simply haven't experienced enough to appreciate a "soft" science like business. This is why all the top schools -- even those with top tier MBA programs -- like Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, etc. do not offer an undergrad business degree.

Hopefully someone close to Barnes has explained all this.

I agree with you 100% on this one. I received my B.S. in Finance, but honestly it didn't mean much to me at the time. Now I am going back and getting my B.S. in Accounting (to obtain the CPA next year) and while I take my classes I think: how much more I would have understood/enjoyed my Finance classes now that I have "real-world" experience?

The business school is working on a finance for undergrads program, which could help attract a recruit like Barnes. Unfortunately, I don't have any kind of link for this - I'm a rising junior and my dad is one of the people working on it. He suggested that I take advantage of it, so I'd imagine that it will be available in the next two years.