Page 101 of 107 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103 ... LastLast
Results 2,001 to 2,020 of 2134

Drumroll...

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    It is 1:10, somebody on the West Coast tell us where he is going!

BTW bakery sounds like former Duke guard Kenny Blakeney
    Duke it is! Gonna take a nap until the game. Life is good!!!!!

He is going to ISU...

Hi,

The banner on the top of the DBR page bellow the links and about the posts themselves had ISU items for sale. This is because the folks at DBR know he is going there and can't say anything until he announces. I don't know what an omen is, but if that isn't one Ole Roy needs to eat his hat.

GO DUKE! AND Relax we will all know soon so this thread can be closed.

Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    Two things:
    One, there are rabid Cyclone fans?
    Two, what ISU Fan in their right mind believes he'd choose ISU? It was clear from the start that ISU was probably at best #4 out of his 6 choices.

If he picks the Cyclones, the world has turned on its head.
    Better question yet is if he chooses ISU, is this the last we hear and see of Barnes? I know the draw of being the hometown hero is great but I just don't see ISU as a means to an end for HB, either to the league or championship. Funny because many on the ISU board says either UNC or Duke would be essentially using HB as their means to and end, being a championship while HB may be doing the same. Bottom line, everyone could use each other in this recruitment!

When this is over, I am swearing off following recruiting. One of these times, it's bound to stick.
    I was just checking out general sports news at ESPN and one of the headlines listed on the right side of the page said, "Tar Heels land... " I nearly had a heart attack before reading the rest "two elite guards." Talking about Marshall and Bullock. I'm done after this one. Really, I am.

Quote Originally Posted by CEF1959 View Post
    WHO-TV in DesMoines is reporting that HB has scheduled an appearance for Sunday with their people to discuss his decision.

http://www.whotv.com/news/who-story-...,2107407.story

Hmm. Why do that if he's going out of state? Just to explain himself to disappointed locals, perhaps? Or is the Ouija board puck headed toward the "I"?
    Absolutely! He sounds like the type of kid that would want to explain why he chose Duke over the home team.

2000 posts and 100 pages

Whoooohoooooo and the message board burn is now in overdrive...LOL

Tried that!

Quote Originally Posted by sandinmyshoes View Post
    When this is over, I am swearing off following recruiting. One of these times, it's bound to stick.
    I swore it off during the Wall saga but am back for more! Wish I could have stuck to my guns.

The Ames Tribune posted a very nice tribute to HB, put out before his choice. It includes these excerpts. Nice.

"So, Harrison, wherever you choose to play your college ball, we know you’ll shine. Years from now, a lot of people in Ames will watch you play on television, admiring your grace and skill, and will nudge their friends and say, “I knew him when he played in Ames, you know. He was incredible!”

Congratulations, Harrison. Ames is proud of you."

Quote Originally Posted by sandinmyshoes View Post
    I was just checking out general sports news at ESPN and one of the headlines listed on the right side of the page said, "Tar Heels land... " I nearly had a heart attack before reading the rest "two elite guards." Talking about Marshall and Bullock. I'm done after this one. Really, I am.
    Man am I glad that I didn't read that. I almost had a heart attack just reading your post.

What we know about HB: He's extremely disciplined. Not afraid of lots and lots of hard work. He has almost a military-style routine and work-ethic. He cares a lot about academics.

Why he picks ISU: His mom works there (weight, out of 5: 2). His friend is going there. (2) His friend's Dad coaches there. (0-1) It's in his hometown. (2) It would shock everyone. (2) He'd be the new Stephen Curry. (3)
    Why he doesn't pick ISU: No solid business program. (5) No regular TV coverage of his games.(4) Tough to get the kind of ultimate, D-I college experience in Ames, IA that will prepare him for the spotlight of the NBA.(5)

Why he picks UNC: His mom loves UNC.(3) Lots of obvious famous alumni.(2) UNC has the best recent track record of collecting National Championships.(4) UNC has a well-respected undergraduate business program. (5) Has a friend who will be playing for UNC. (2)
    Why he doesn't pick UNC: Roy came late to the game in recruiting him. (4) Roy doesn't have a track record of graduating players early. (4)

Why he picks Oklahoma: Some national exposure, but with the opportunity of establishing a new basketball powerhouse via a National Championship.(2)
    Why he doesn't pick Oklahoma: It's not Duke or UNC. (3)

Why he picks UCLA: It's UCLA. Excellent tradition. (2) Seems to have struck up a great rapport with Ben Howland during his official visit. (3) Opportunity to get UCLA "over the hump." (1)
    Why he doesn't pick UCLA: Poor national TV coverage. (3) LA distractions.(4)

Why he picks Duke: K has wanted him from day 1. (4) Best overall academic school out of the 5 finalists. (5) Jay Williams and Carlos Boozer established the "graduate in 3" model. (4.5) Opportunity to play for a team that is on national TV at least twice a week. (3.5) Opportunity to play for coach of Team USA with all his basketball connections. (4)
    Why he doesn't pick Duke: "They don't have his major," et al.(3) His mom seems to be a huge UNC fan. (1.5)

I've spent the morning trying as hard as I can to take off the Duke-blue glasses and look at this thing how (I think) HB would look at it, and I have to say in all honesty, I think it's a complete toss-up between Duke and UNC (surprise, surprise).

I think he's going to go with what his gut tells him. And I think, based on our intensity and persistence (and length) of recruiting him, based on the number of visits he made to Duke, he's going to pick Duke.

The Ames Tribune posted a very nice tribute to HB, put out before his choice. It includes these excerpts. Nice.[/I]
    That is a very thoughtful and sincere message. We'll have to remember this after he picks Duke and those same people start calling him the antichrist.

The Ames Tribune posted a very nice tribute to HB, put out before his choice. It includes these excerpts. Nice.

"So, Harrison, wherever you choose to play your college ball, we know you’ll shine. Years from now, a lot of people in Ames will watch you play on television, admiring your grace and skill, and will nudge their friends and say, “I knew him when he played in Ames, you know. He was incredible!”

Congratulations, Harrison. Ames is proud of you."
    Hey, goes to show you most people still have class. It's easy to bash people today but credit is due when it is obvious. Hopefully, all fans, yes I include UNC, ISU and others will act with class after his announcement. I think most will and there will be those a-holes who make the rest of us look bad but it's been a wild and whacky ride. Gotta love it!

This is funny. Evan Daniels is in Ames for Scout.com, claiming "exclusive" coverage and "unprecedented access." His tweets from this morning include this critical bit of insider info:

Des Moines appears bigger than I thought from the air!

Why I love twitter.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    That is a very thoughtful and sincere message. We'll have to remember this after he picks Duke and those same people start calling him the antichrist.
    no, that would be Kentucky fans....unc fans (for the most part) won't like it if he picks duke, but they won't tear the kid down...

what they WILL do is try to spin it that HB "won't be that big of a difference" to pull duke back even with them...

Wink ISU

Completely off topic, but the town where I grew up also had an ISU (Idaho State University). The locals who went to college elsewhere would joke with their friends who went to ISU by saying that ISU stood for "I Screwed Up".

So, would you choose a school that could stand for I Screwed Up?

UNC on the other hand, scares me a little. This whole thing has shades of Wright a few years back, but I hope the outcome is different this time.

----

First game in Cameron since graduation! Go Duke! Beat UNCG!

Quote Originally Posted by NYDukie View Post
    Hey, goes to show you most people still have class. It's easy to bash people today but credit is due when it is obvious. Hopefully, all fans, yes I include UNC, ISU and others will act with class after his announcement. I think most will and there will be those a-holes who make the rest of us look bad but it's been a wild and whacky ride. Gotta love it!
    One of the things HB mentioned as particularly memorable about his OV to Crowlina was a letter in the UNC-CH display case from Coach K to Michael Jordan wishing him luck at Carolina. If I'm not mistaken, when Shane Battier called Dean Smith to tell him he was going to Duke, Dean said "OK" and hung up on him.

Better question yet is if he chooses ISU, is this the last we hear and see of Barnes?
    Yes.

ISU's season has the potential for disaster. They're expected to be around the 6-9th team in the Big 12 this season but with a team with only 1 star player they could very well end up with another disappointing season that results in another year without the NCAA tournament as Brackins leaves for the NBA.

If they don't go to the NCAA tournament who knows if McDermott will even be back for Harrison's freshman season?

It'd be disappointing to see us go through this again with Harrison in the late signing period.

Whoooohoooooo and the message board burn is now in overdrive...LOL
    Has any Duke recruit ever received this many post on a thread??

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    no, that would be Kentucky fans....unc fans (for the most part) won't like it if he picks duke, but they won't tear the kid down...

what they WILL do is try to spin it that HB "won't be that big of a difference" to pull duke back even with them...
    Kentucky fans would claim hes overrated and claim that he dominated weaker competition in Iowa but couldn't do the same anywhere else.

UNC will spin it by claiming it gives them 1 extra scholarship for 2011 to get Quincy Miller.

Quote Originally Posted by Battierfan01 View Post
    Has any Duke recruit ever received this many post on a thread??
    See Wall, John. We're still about 500 posts shy. 8 of the 10 most viewed threads on DBR are recruiting threads...