Quote Originally Posted by jyuwono View Post
Pre-business types at Duke (i.e. those that get jobs in finance and consulting) tend to be Econ grads with perhaps a certificate in Markets & Management. As long as you select your classes carefully within these two departments, you can get a very good business education.

Personally, I think getting a business degree for undergrad is a waste of time. 18-22 year olds simply haven't experienced enough to appreciate a "soft" science like business. This is why all the top schools -- even those with top tier MBA programs -- like Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, etc. do not offer an undergrad business degree.

Hopefully someone close to Barnes has explained all this.
Ahhhh, yes, someone with sense has commented on the subject!

Only a handful of universities offer business degrees, and they are generally laughed at by the rest of the academic world. 18 year olds should not know how to run a business - rather, they should be learning how multiple businesses (ie the economy) is run on a marco scale (ie an Econ degree).

Unfortunately, IMO, the markets and management certificate is quite useless (I didn't get one but many of my friends got one). It's interesting but doesn't provide you with much. Just learn econ from Fullenkamp and you're good to go!