Page 2 of 107 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

is it possible for duke to bring in 5 players for 2010?

since duke already have a verbal from andre dawkins SG,
    can duke bring in 4 other recruits such as:

PG: Brandon Knight
    SF: Harrison Barnes
    PF: Josh Hairston
    C: Josh Smith

that would be a dynamic recruiting class, maybe just a dream at this point though.

Quote Originally Posted by speedevil View Post
    since duke already have a verbal from andre dawkins SG,
    can duke bring in 4 other recruits such as:

PG: Brandon Knight
    C: Josh Smith

that would be a dynamic recruiting class, maybe just a dream at this point though.
    It's definitely possible. We will have enough room for 5 '10 scholarships, assuming we get 3 '09 players. Hairston looks pretty likely at this point and Harrison Barnes has said that he wants a school that is both a title contender and very strong academically, so Duke looks set to be a leader there. Duke looks to be in surprisingly good position with Knight considering many thought we would not seriously consider Duke. Smith might be the longest shot considering his list is still pretty long and many good schools were recruiting him before us, but he's said that he wouldn't mind playing away from home, so we should be in the running. Obviously, a recruiting class with these four plus Dawkins would be amazing, probably one of the best recruiting classes ever. However, that's a long shot at this point, and I know Duke has backup plans for a lot of these players that it is following closely.

its definately a dream but 3 of those five is more likely
    4 isnt out of reach but 5 is a long shot

I trust and believe everything Watzone has to say. Thank you Watzone, for all you add to DBR. We are grateful.

Quote Originally Posted by dukemomLA View Post
    I trust and believe everything Watzone has to say. Thank you Watzone, for all you add to DBR. We are grateful.
    i too believe in everything watzone post here on dbr

Quote Originally Posted by CameronCrazy'11 View Post
    It's definitely possible. We will have enough room for 5 '10 scholarships, assuming we get 3 '09 players. Hairston looks pretty likely at this point and Harrison Barnes has said that he wants a school that is both a title contender and very strong academically, so Duke looks set to be a leader there. Duke looks to be in surprisingly good position with Knight considering many thought we would not seriously consider Duke. Smith might be the longest shot considering his list is still pretty long and many good schools were recruiting him before us, but he's said that he wouldn't mind playing away from home, so we should be in the running. Obviously, a recruiting class with these four plus Dawkins would be amazing, probably one of the best recruiting classes ever. However, that's a long shot at this point, and I know Duke has backup plans for a lot of these players that it is following closely.
    i actually expect just a 2 man class for 09: Plumlee and Boynton
    The recent offer to Barnes shows (imo) that coach k might not offer wilson or vinson. 2010 should be a 5 or 6 man class though.

My prediction:
    PG: Tyler Thornton
    SG: Dawkins
    PF: Nate Lubick
    and maybe 1 more player

ya it looks like we will only get 3 or 4 in 2010 because smith really likes ucla, although i think we have a good shot at knight.

knight

in one recently linked article, knight listed his top 3 schools as duke, tech of the georgia variety, and miami. i was pleasantly surprised not to see florida on this list. i would think an outside observer would favor duke among the 3 listed. haith's doing a good job, but i'd be happy for knight to take in games at cameron and at miami and draw comparisons. hewitt has shown he can pull in some big recruits, but, other than his 1 final 4 year, i think he has consistently underachieved. plus, since knight has a 4.2 gpa, duke's academics should be a draw.

any particular reason why some don't feel confident about our chances? he sounds like a terrific talent and a great kid.

I feel a lot more confident about landing Knight now than I did a few months ago. I'm not sure if landing Kenny Boynton would help (Boynton and Knight are friends) or hurt (with Smith, Boynton, and Wiliams that would already be a crowded backcourt).

10. I personally think it's either/or when it comes to Boynton and Knight. On their AAU team Boynton played SG while Knight played PG, but Boynton knows in the NBA he'll have to play PG. Is he willing to play out of position in college especially if he has the talent to be a one-and-done? On top of that, Knight and Boynton are good friends so they probably wouldn't feel too comfortable competing with each other for the PG spot day-in day-out, and Boynton must know that Knight is good enough to potentially unseat him.

This is pure speculation, but I'm guessing the reason the we haven't offered Knight is because of the above. If Boynton accepts our offer, we'll probably pass on Knight and go with a back-up guard for the 2010 class or with a star guard in the 2011 class. If Boynton declines our offer, I'm guessing that's when the full court press on Knight will commence.

Boynton

If he's a "one-and-done," I hope he goes somewhere else.

I think that Lute Olson may be losing it in some ways, but he makes a lot of sense in saying that he won't recruit any more "one-and-dones." I'd prefer having Coach K take the same approach. Duke can attract sufficiently talented, true student-athletes to be competitive without the guys who aren't interested in longer stays in school.

12. I don't think Coach K is averse to recruiting talent who could potentially be one-and-done. He was quoted as saying that the recruit however must have the mindset of "you never know," i.e. that if you're ready, you're ready, but you should acknowledge the possibility that you might end up need more than a year.

Quote Originally Posted by jyuwono View Post
    If Boynton accepts our offer, we'll probably pass on Knight and go with a back-up guard for the 2010 class or with a star guard in the 2011 class. If Boynton declines our offer, I'm guessing that's when the full court press on Knight will commence.
    I don't agree. Brandon Knight is a pure point guard and should be our #1 target in the Class of 2010. He would be the first point guard signed since the Class of 2005 (Greg Paulus):

2006: Jon Scheyer, Gerald Henderson
    2007: Nolan Smith
    2008: Elliot Williams
    2009: Kenny Boynton (Hopefully )
    2010: Andre Dawkins

Every guard we have signed since Greg Paulus has been a combo guard or shooting guard. We need Kenny Boynton in 2009 followed by Brandon Knight in 2010.

Of course, discussing kids who haven't started their junior year of high school doesn't pass the "common sense" or "mental stability" test, but it is cheap entertainment!
    Bob Green

I don't see why we won't pick up 3 players in the 09 class.

I think we'll have Ma. Plumlee, Boynton and Terrell Vinson (who might be a better prospect and fit than Wilson...scout says Vinson is "noted for his cerebral play" which is a good indicator for Duke).

As far as '10 goes, we'll get 5...but maybe not the best possible 5. Think of our past 5-player classes. Many times there's a bust or a transfer. It's hard to land that many superstars.

I think we'll pick up:
    PG Brandon Knight
    SG Andre Dawkins
    SF Mychal Parker
    PF Josh Hairston
    C Nate Lubick

Quote Originally Posted by dukefan47 View Post
    i actually expect just a 2 man class for 09: Plumlee and Boynton
    The recent offer to Barnes shows (imo) that coach k might not offer wilson or vinson. 2010 should be a 5 or 6 man class though.

My prediction:
    and maybe 1 more player
    I hope you're wrong about '09 because I think that it would be a big mistake to only bring in 2 players for that year. If we are able to land Boynton he is not likely to stick around for more than 2 years. My gut says that Plumlee is at least a 3 year if not 4 year guy but if he does leave early then that would leave a senior voided class. Then when you look at the primary targets for '10, there is a good chance that we could leave 2 or more of them early. This would eventually put us back in the position that we were in in '07.

I think that K is trying to make sure that he assembles recruiting classes that have at least one 4 year player which means that he should be offering another '09 prospect before too long.

Not to mention, even if we get 3 commits in '09, we still have at least 5 spots for '10. It's not like we really need to "save" a scholarship for '10. If anything we would probably be saving the extra spot for '11 so we could have a three person class there.

Quote Originally Posted by jyuwono View Post
    I personally think it's either/or when it comes to Boynton and Knight. On their AAU team Boynton played SG while Knight played PG, but Boynton knows in the NBA he'll have to play PG. Is he willing to play out of position in college especially if he has the talent to be a one-and-done? On top of that, Knight and Boynton are good friends so they probably wouldn't feel too comfortable competing with each other for the PG spot day-in day-out, and Boynton must know that Knight is good enough to potentially unseat him.

This is pure speculation, but I'm guessing the reason the we haven't offered Knight is because of the above. If Boynton accepts our offer, we'll probably pass on Knight and go with a back-up guard for the 2010 class or with a star guard in the 2011 class. If Boynton declines our offer, I'm guessing that's when the full court press on Knight will commence.
    Run this back about half a decade or so and replace Boynton with Jason Williams and Knight with Duhon. Duke has been after both Boynton and Knight for a long time now and they definitely see them in the backcourt together.

Quote Originally Posted by Bay Area Duke Fan View Post
    If he's a "one-and-done," I hope he goes somewhere else.

I think that Lute Olson may be losing it in some ways, but he makes a lot of sense in saying that he won't recruit any more "one-and-dones." I'd prefer having Coach K take the same approach. Duke can attract sufficiently talented, true student-athletes to be competitive without the guys who aren't interested in longer stays in school.
    Yet at the same time Lute has an offer out to 6-9 / 280 lb. big man Josh Smith who would certainly be considered a flight risk.

My prediction:
    and maybe 1 more player[/QUOTE]

I like your prediction but I would not be suprised to see it this way;
    PG: Knight
    SF: Barnes
    PF: Hairston
    PF: someone not even on our radar(long way to go)
    I think we offer Knight regardless of what KB does.

Couldn't help myself

Quote Originally Posted by CameronCrazy'11 View Post
    …We will have enough room for 5 '10 scholarships, assuming we get 3 '09 players…
    I sure hope we get the 3'9" guys. No one will be able to get low enough to steal the ball from them. I wonder if they can dunk like Mugsy!

Boynton/Knight

Boynton and Knight can co-exist and are not mutually exclusive. In coach K's 4 out 1-in motion system, the offense never runs through only 1 guard. Does it help to have a very strong PG manning the lead spot? Definitely, but as we saw with J-Will and Duhon, the system is flexible and allows all players in the 1-4 spots to create and play "pg".

While I personally don't think Brandon Knight is a once-in-a-lifetime talent like Derrick Rose, he is definitely in that elite upper echelon. You just don't turn away those type of players, even if you already have depth and talent in place. Especially one with Knight's academic background and priorities.

My impression is that Brandon Knight knows he has an offering coming to him and the staff is in no rush to make it formal since Brandon will not make a decision anytime in the near future. Remember, Nolan will be a senior by the time the '10 class matriculates. PG is absolutely a need in that class and if Knight looks elsewhere we will likely put the full court press on Tyler Thornton or Ray McCallum.

As far as the '09 class goes. If we can find the right fit, I am all for the coaches making a 3rd offer. That said, this class has been exceptionally disappointing and surprisingly weak and I do not want to see the staff offer a third scholarship just for the sake of balancing out classes. If the staff feels Vinson/Wilson aren't up to snuff, I'm fine with them taking a pass. The last thing Duke needs is to bring in more Eric Boatengs, Jamal Boykins, or Taylor Kings just to watch them struggle and inevitably transfer.

I think that while a longshot, there is a good chance Duke lands Knight, Dawkins, Hairston, and Barnes. If they land that group, there is little chance Josh Smith comes to Duke. I think a more realistic class would be Thornton, Dawkins, Hairston, Barnes, and TBD.
    Last edited by studdlee10; 07-17-2008 at 12:39 PM.