Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by blublood View Post
    I was going to post this earlier and now that CathyCA has joined this fascinating topic of conversation, I feel justified in doing so.

* Men of DBR - if you're having a lot of trouble with razor burn, bumps, etc. it may not be your razor that's to blame.* My husband thought I was crazy, but after getting "razor burn" (more accurately characterized as a horrible, stinging pain radiating down my legs) from shaving with his shaving cream on my legs, I suggested that he switch to Aveeno. No fragrances, emulsifiers, weird colors, dioxymidiichlorians, etc. From that point onwards, he claims that his face has become less sensitive, but I know the truth and I'm the one that has to buy the stuff for him because he's embarrassed.
    I've gone through it all. The best solution that I stick with now is Clinique's Men's 3-Step and skin care products. The face scrub softens the beard up nicely, the shaving cream is great and the lotion dulls the fire on my face quite nicely.

Occasionally, I'll sport the Abe Lincoln because the mustache and higher areas on the cheek don't seem to have the same problems as my neck. My biggest problem is the ingrown hairs on my neck that happen afterwards. So far, Clinique hasn't made anything to address that. :-(

How is it that we've had this whole thread about shaving habits but haven't heard from the poster whose facial hair affectations inspired his username? Where is throatybeard?

Quote Originally Posted by blublood View Post
    You mean you don't think our forefathers would have rejoiced to see this day on that night when they crossed the whole Delaware in sub-zero temperatures in their selfless dedication to our country and us, their descendants??
    Nope. A bunch of them were sitting around in Sam Adams' tavern until the wee hours and the talk turned to shaving. Hancock was grousing about what a PITA it was to go to the damn barber every other day. Franklin remarked that if you really wanted a good shave, you had to go all the way to Italy. The next morning, before they got back to work arguing about whether Burke, Locke, or Hobbes was better, and where they should tell the King to shove his tea, Hancock said, 'Dude, we were totally wasted last night. I can't remember what we were talking about, but it was some @#$$@#-up @#$@#$!! And Jefferson couldn't keep his mitts off that cougar wench from Southie; he's not here yet, I wonder if he got any sumpin-sumpin... And that wuss Adams - he always goes home so early, that boy is whipped... Good thing wearing this wig helps the hangover go away, but Revere looks like such a mess he should be wearing two... "

Or something like that...

Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    How is it that we've had this whole thread about shaving habits but haven't heard from the poster whose facial hair affectations inspired his username? Where is throatybeard?
    The coolest thing about throaty is that he was probably the most recognizable person on campus. Some people might not have recognized Trajan, Cherokee or Brand, but if you mentioned "Amish dude", everybody knew who you were talking about.

The Aveeno gel really is nice. I'll suggest another absolutely great shaving cream (not a gel and not a foam) that you can buy relatively cheaply at Target. It's called "Everyman Jack," and it is also fragrance and irritant free.

I recently picked up some shaving cream from Trader Joe's that really moisturizes. It does have some mango-honey fragrance, but it's pretty light and it doesn't seem to irritate my face. The amazing thing is how smooth and moisturized it makes my face.

I have pretty much decided that in general, true creams are better than foams (what people normally call "shaving cream") or gels (that essentially turn into foams but leave a thin layer of cream beneath).

Kiehl's is my favorite shaving product. I was previously on Zihr, but Kiehl's is better at moisturizing. Use of fancy shaving creams and the fact that I now shave with the grain are a result of the few episodes of Queer Eye I watched back in 2003.

Kiehl's is my favorite shaving product. I was previously on Zihr, but Kiehl's is better at moisturizing. Use of fancy shaving creams and the fact that I now shave with the grain are a result of the few episodes of Queer Eye I watched back in 2003.
    As an aside, while I never really watched Queer Eye during its run, I'd be fascinated to see a "Where are they now" type show with people who they tried to improve. I'd be very curious to see what percentage have regressed back into slob-dom.

I've had very sporadic internet access, as I'm in rural MS in a friend's internetless, cableless house.

One Mach 3 blade lasts me somewhere between 60 and 90 days, I would estimate. Of course, it only gets used on the mustachal area, so it has maybe 5% or 10% as much work to do as most people's blades. I tried some quintuple blade and found it less comfortable than Mach 3, despite the extra blades. I believe 3 is the perfect number of blades. I shave in the shower with no mirror.

I trim the beard about once every 17 to 20 days, roughly a haircut cycle, 20 days or so. MMV becuase I have to keep in more or less in equilibrium with my hair. I can't get a haircut (setting three on the trimmer all around) and then have a big bushy beard. I'm not sure how many beard trimmers I've destroyed in 15 years. I'd guess at least a dozen.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

shaving

often use the old fashioned 2 blade razors and get 2-3 weeks of shaving out of them, usually skipping Friday nights for a shave-free day. Currently using some of the 5 blade disposables (Gillette?) and working on about a month now, I guess. The moisturizing strip is falling apart so it is time to change that. Any shave cream with aloe works for me with rare burns and I shave with and against the grain. I hate the gel shave products as I can never get all the junk out from between the blades. I have had 2 beards in rebellious stages (wife hates them) and 1 goatee (hated also). Had a moustache/mustache since I was about 20 and trim it about once weekly. No one touches/trims that but me. My razors NEVER touch my wife's legs/axillae-she knows better-and vice versa.

A Shaving Marathon

Passing time in the pandemic? Here's one thing I did.

I just finished a marathon shaving endeavor. I completed one year of shaving with a single Gillette disposable razor (2 blades). I took my first shave on 01/01/2020 and my last shave with the razor today 12/31/2020. I must admit I fudged things a bit. I have a beard and only shave cheeks and neck, under the chin, three time per week. Still that's about 150 "shaves" from the razor.

Best thing: After the March 01 I didn't have to worry at all about nicks.

Worst thing: After September 01 I had to make multiple passes to get satisfactory results.

The razor:
    gilette-razor-2020.jpg

The face:
    beard-2020.jpg

Note: I searched for a newer thread, but this was the relevant one I found.

Note 2: I'm a bit worried about my next shave with a new blade. It might be a bloodbath.

I had forgotten I even started this thread oh so many years ago.

I have had quite a shaving journey since then. In March of 2009 I joined a forum called "Badger and Blade" that is dedicated to old-fashioned ways of shaving. My April I was lathering with a shaving brush and shaving with a double-edge razor.

This went on for a long time, and then, in late 2017, I tried a replaceable-blade straight razor for about a month. This led to acquisition of actual straight razors, which I maintained and used for about the next 260 shaves or so.

I finally got tired of obsessing about the "edge" and had no desire to learn honing, so I went back, for about 6 months or so, to double-edge safety razor shaving.

In late September of last year, I remembered how much I had liked straight shaving but disliked the upkeep. That led me back to replaceable blade straight razors (sometimes erroneously called "shavettes"). Just like a real straight razor, these are a form of open-blade shaving. They take special blades called Artist Club (or AC) blades. I started back with these razors in late September and since then I have used nothing else.

I now shave only 4 times a week rather than every single day. A single AC blade usually lasts me about a month, so about 16 shaves. I am still making lather the old-fashioned way, with a brush, and now use shaving soaps exclusively (rather than lathering creams).

I know this way of shaving isn't for everybody, but it works for me and I love it. It is very meditative. You have to learn the skill and you have to pay attention, because it is a very sharp open blade (much sharper than even the sharpest straight razor, which, by the way, are a lot safer), but once you get good at it it's pretty much muscle memory. My wife knows not to plow through the door when I'm in there with an open razor up against my jugular.

Another advantage of this type of shaving is that it contributes no waste to the environment. The razor itself lasts a lifetime. The tiny blades are fully recyclable. I put them into Altoids Smalls tins. I fill one up about every two years, lol. Then into the recycling it goes. I generally buy shave soap refills and re-use containers I already have.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

I bought a new Norelco rotary razor for myself in November because the price at Costco, with a replacement head included, was just over the cost of replacement blades. I've used my current Norelco rotarty for about 4 years (including the replacement head it came with) and there's nothing wrong with it. Even the battery charge still lasts about a month. I'll keep the new model in reserve until I need to replace the current blades.

May not be the absolute closest shave available, but it is the most comfortable, with no nicks or cuts ever. I do use Williams Lectric Shave to lubricate my beard first, so there is no razor burn.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    I had forgotten I even started this thread oh so many years ago.

I have had quite a shaving journey since then. In March of 2009 I joined a forum called "Badger and Blade" that is dedicated to old-fashioned ways of shaving. My April I was lathering with a shaving brush and shaving with a double-edge razor.

This went on for a long time, and then, in late 2017, I tried a replaceable-blade straight razor for about a month. This led to acquisition of actual straight razors, which I maintained and used for about the next 260 shaves or so.

I finally got tired of obsessing about the "edge" and had no desire to learn honing, so I went back, for about 6 months or so, to double-edge safety razor shaving.

In late September of last year, I remembered how much I had liked straight shaving but disliked the upkeep. That led me back to replaceable blade straight razors (sometimes erroneously called "shavettes"). Just like a real straight razor, these are a form of open-blade shaving. They take special blades called Artist Club (or AC) blades. I started back with these razors in late September and since then I have used nothing else.

I now shave only 4 times a week rather than every single day. A single AC blade usually lasts me about a month, so about 16 shaves. I am still making lather the old-fashioned way, with a brush, and now use shaving soaps exclusively (rather than lathering creams).

I know this way of shaving isn't for everybody, but it works for me and I love it. It is very meditative. You have to learn the skill and you have to pay attention, because it is a very sharp open blade (much sharper than even the sharpest straight razor, which, by the way, are a lot safer), but once you get good at it it's pretty much muscle memory. My wife knows not to plow through the door when I'm in there with an open razor up against my jugular.

Another advantage of this type of shaving is that it contributes no waste to the environment. The razor itself lasts a lifetime. The tiny blades are fully recyclable. I put them into Altoids Smalls tins. I fill one up about every two years, lol. Then into the recycling it goes. I generally buy shave soap refills and re-use containers I already have.
    Love that this thread got kicked back up to the top.

I started down the path of “not Gillette” in 2016.
    Not because I didn’t like the shave, but because I was tired of the cost.

I spent a lot of time of Badger & Blade before buying a Merkur handle, Bic double edge safety blades, and a badger brush from eShave.

I swear by Mike’s All Natural soaps.
    The most “zen” part of the shave for me is lathering the brush and my face.

I got comfortable enough in April 2017 to make the jump to Feathers.
    I bought a 100 pack of Feather blades and literally switched to the last one after shaving this morning.

Aside from the initial investment (from memory, maybe 25-50 for the handle, 15 for a soap puck, and maybe another 20-40 for the brush), its been dirt cheap to shave.

I spent $20 on the Feathers, and $12 on the Mike’s shave soap (need a new soap puck about every six months). That $20 lasted for two and a half years of shaves.

I’d go through a Gillette top end cartridge head maybe every 2 weeks. A month if I was lucky.

Now that Schick(?) acquired Harrys we’ll see if the economic disruption Dollar Shave Club and Harry’s started will continue.

For what its worth if you like the shave you get from DSC, you can get the same from Amazon.

I’ve not been bold enough to make a step into shavettes or straight razors.

I can recommend getting into double edge safety razor shaving as a daily habit that is a bit of a fun way to save money as well.

Where are typical brick and mortar places to find double-edged safety razor blades? I just got handed down a safety razor and don't have any blades. Prefer to buy local, and won't use the river site if at all possible.

Generally I'm a twin blade disposable guy (the cheapest kind works fine!), having been twin-blade cartridge and saw Atra and the like soar in price for no apparent advantage over the throwaways. I would really like to cut my use of disposable plastic, so I'm going to look around for options.

Close burn free shave for me typically involves:

Shaving with the grain first, but leave a bit of Barbasol on the perimeter ... then,
    warm water and spread thin layer of rest of Barbasol, then shave against the grain.

rinse blade frequently

sometimes helps to skip a day or shave every 36h instead of every 24.

I replace shaver every 10 shaves or so. About 2 weeks.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    Where are typical brick and mortar places to find double-edged safety razor blades? I just got handed down a safety razor and don't have any blades. Prefer to buy local, and won't use the river site if at all possible.

Generally I'm a twin blade disposable guy (the cheapest kind works fine!), having been twin-blade cartridge and saw Atra and the like soar in price for no apparent advantage over the throwaways. I would really like to cut my use of disposable plastic, so I'm going to look around for options.

Close burn free shave for me typically involves:

Shaving with the grain first, but leave a bit of Barbasol on the perimeter ... then,
    warm water and spread thin layer of rest of Barbasol, then shave against the grain.

rinse blade frequently

sometimes helps to skip a day or shave every 36h instead of every 24.

I replace shaver every 10 shaves or so. About 2 weeks.

Thanks!
    Walmart used to carry German Wilkinsln Sword blades that I really liked, but they discontinued them a few years ago. The blades you can buy at cvs and the like are generally Korean blades. I find them rough, and they are way overpriced.
    For double edge blades you should definitely go to the internet. Many blades are available for about $15-20 per hundred.
    If you are a newbie, you should get a blade sampler first, before buying in bulk, because blade taste is highly individual.

I remember those Wilkinson Sword ones, and agree, they were quite good. I like Schick's Slim Twin a lot. Most twin blade razors do well. But would like to cut that plastic trash.

Say, how do you handle those double-edged safety razor blades? Other than carefully? Can you touch them on the short ends safely? I can see cutting my fingers before I ever get a chance to cut my face!

I gave up daily shaving a few years ago. Just too harsh on my skin. I keep a short beard and just shave my neckline once or twice a week at most. So much more comfortable than daily shaving and battling constant irritation.

I do have one bit of general shaving advice and one secret I’ll share. For many, many years I just assumed that rinsing my face with warm water when done with my shave was the good and right thing to do. Wrong! About five years ago I learned that rinsing with cold water was the only way to go. What a difference. Really helps close your pores after your shave and reduces irritation.

Now my secret... I suffered through the pain and dread of ingrown hair for most of my shaving life. I must have spent $200 or more trying all sorts of aftershave lotions, potions and balms and nothing worked. Not even a little. I had kinda given up and accepted that I would never be able to overcome the problem. Then one day in a Walgreens of all places I found an aftershave called Bump Patrol and gave it a shot. For seven bucks, I had nothing to lose. Well, turns out this company sells a miracle in the form of a liquid aftershave in a blue plastic bottle. I don’t know what’s in it. I don’t know why it’s so different. And frankly I don’t care. Because I haven’t had an ingrown hair or neck irritation in years. I have no stake in the company but I do buy it on Amazon by the boatload just in case they ever stopped making it. If you have shaving irritation problems, this stuff will literally change your life.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

I remember those Wilkinson Sword ones, and agree, they were quite good. I like Schick's Slim Twin a lot. Most twin blade razors do well. But would like to cut that plastic trash.

Say, how do you handle those double-edged safety razor blades? Other than carefully? Can you touch them on the short ends safely? I can see cutting my fingers before I ever get a chance to cut my face!
    And do you still push them through the slot behind the mirror?

-jk

It is totally safe to handle them by the narrow ends, yes.

I have a Burt Reynolds mustache. It’s silly and hilarious and I like it. I shave the rest of my face with grocery store brand razors. It’s fine.