Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Gentlemen, how many shaves do you get before you have to replace the blade?

Electric-shaver types need not reply.

If you shave manually and you shave every day, how often do you have to replace the blade? Is anybody getting much more than a week or ten days out of a blade before it's dull or abrasive?

My curiosity was piqued by the new ads for the Gilette Fusion blades, which claim that some people can use a single blade for THREE WEEKS. This doesn't seem possible to me.

Tell me your experience. If you're getting more than 10 days, what kind of blades are you using and what kind of beard do you have?

I've seen an ad for a device that allegedly sharpens manual blades of all types. It allegedly extends the life of blades almost indefinitely. Anybody got any experience with this product? (I don't recall the name of the device.)

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    I've seen an ad for a device that allegedly sharpens manual blades of all types. It allegedly extends the life of blades almost indefinitely. Anybody got any experience with this product? (I don't recall the name of the device.)
    Wow, if a device like this worked and ever gained traction, Gillette would send a team of ninjas to kill the developer.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post

If you shave manually and you shave every day, how often do you have to replace the blade? Is anybody getting much more than a week or ten days out of a blade before it's dull or abrasive?

My curiosity was piqued by the new ads for the Gilette Fusion blades, which claim that some people can use a single blade for THREE WEEKS. This doesn't seem possible to me.

Tell me your experience. If you're getting more than 10 days, what kind of blades are you using and what kind of beard do you have?
    I use Fusion, and I change about every 10 days. They get evil just as quickly as other blades.

I use the Gilette Fusion and the blades last me a good long time, at least 20 or so shaves (framing it in terms of weeks isn't helpful because I regularly go stretches without shaving). More importantly, the replacement blade packs aren't all that expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by UVaAmbassador View Post
    I use the Gilette Fusion and the blades last me a good long time, at least 20 or so shaves (framing it in terms of weeks isn't helpful because I regularly go stretches without shaving). More importantly, the replacement blade packs aren't all that expensive.
    Wow. Maybe my wife is right: my face is made of cactus.

I have a very heavy, sharp beard, as my wife will attest. Even clean shaved I can scrape her bad. I also have sensitive skin, unfortunately. I generally shave every other day, as even new razors rip me up if I do it every day, but I'm pretty bushy by the time I shave. Anyway, I have this magnetic thing that I stick my gillette sensor excel (I think that's what it's called...I use the old two blade one as the three blade one rips me up) in every day. I think it was from sharper image, but I'm not sure. Anyway, it keeps my blade in great shape. I only have to replace it every couple months.

Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    Wow. Maybe my wife is right: my face is made of cactus.
    From the look of your avatar, though, it appears you have considerably more hair than I do.

Though I rock a beard, I still shave my neck about 3-4 times a week. My beard comes down about one inch under my chin and progressively gets closer to my jaw as it moves towards my ears. So, I have about 1/2 of a face to shave. I guess that gives me the equivalent of a full face shave twice a week. Enough with the numbers.

To answer the question at hand, every Christmas my wife buys me a ten pack of Gillette Sensor Excel or Sensor 3 blades. I go through the first nine by March. The final blade lasts me until December 25th. It takes a man to rock a beard, but it takes an even bigger man to use the same razor blade for 9 months.

I have a neck of steel. Respect the neck...

I use the Mach III and replace the blade every 10-15 shaves. I tried the Fusion but I felt a lot more pull/drag on my beard when shaving. I'm speculating, but I think the blades might be too close together for my beard.

In a closely related point, blade proliferation is getting out of hand. Haven't we reached the point of significantly diminishing returns or are we going to have to watch commercials for the Gillette "Ocho"?

are we going to have to watch commercials for the Gillette "Ocho"?[/QUOTE]

Ya, I've been watching the dodgeball tournament on the Ocho. ESPN 8. I just can't get enough of it.

Quote Originally Posted by mph View Post
    Haven't we reached the point of significantly diminishing returns or are we going to have to watch commercials for the Gillette "Ocho"?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F7TMlrDXtw

I see commercials for the "Infinity" blade or something that they claim lasts for life and they'll replace it if it doesn't...but it seems like a gimmick to me. Anything that seems too good to be true, is...

I shave every other day and only get 3-4 uses out of the Gillette Fusion. As soon as the moisturizing strip wears away, I have to change the blade; otherwise, I'm in for a rough shave.

It seems like most of you are getting 2-3 weeks out of a blade. What's the secret? No reliance on the strip?

I also always shave against the grain; maybe that has something to do with it.

I'd be curious to know whether others shave with the grain or against it. If I shave with the grain, I might as well not shave at all. The only problem is this can irritate my skin (and apparently burn through razor blades).

Quote Originally Posted by IamMatt'sUserName View Post
    I'd be curious to know whether others shave with the grain or against it. If I shave with the grain, I might as well not shave at all. The only problem is this can irritate my skin (and apparently burn through razor blades).
    Agaisnt the grain - always. That is the only way I feel like I have gotten a close shave. But it does wear the razor blade out a lot faster. I've also found that razor blades last a lot longer if I use a high quality shave gel. It really does seem to make a difference. Also, I tend to get a better shave if I shower before I shave rather than after (I guess it softens up the skin) and if I use really hot water.

My kid game me this piece of crap for Father's Day (it's called "save a blade"). Don't waste your time or money. It made the razor DULLER and more likely to cut my face. I saw a video about it on the internet and they looked at the blades microscopically before and after using this thing; it created massive roughness at the edge of the blade.
    Last edited by rsvman; 07-14-2008 at 03:15 PM. Reason: remembered name of device

No more than 7-8 days, and that's pushing it. I've tried multiple brands, all pretty much the same.

When I do shave, I use a blade once and then toss it. My beard is made of steel and grows in so many directions that there is no such thing as grain. I hate shaving. I have a beard.

My beard is just now starting to come back so i don't recall. I normally buy disposals, because I’m cheep, and they don't last long although I use them until they don't cut anymore. I just let it pull.

I have heard that if you dry off the blades one blade should last close to a year.

In February 2006, a gentleman called the show and spoke about using the same razor for a year. He revealed that blades don't degrade from shaving, but rather they corrode from the moisture that collects on them once you're done shaving.
    Drying your razor blades extends shelf life

Wow. I know I'm cheap but I'm worse than I expected. I use the Mach 3, shave during the week, not much on the weekend and I usually replace my blade once every 2-3 months. I just ride it until finally I remember that I haven't replaced it in awhile and then go another week or so before finally giving in.