Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    If there's a person on this board who wouldn't have liked to have DJ last year - please raise your hand.

Hello?

Hello?

McFly?

Supa "a poster with nothing good to say is like the guy standing on the court telling everyone else to get rebounds" Dave...

Dahntay was a great player for us in 2003. Along with some others (notably Duhon) I wish he had asserted himself more in 2002 instead of Jay-watching; which was easy to do given how dominant he was.

I'd take DJ on a Duke team any year.

Dahntay was the type of guy that everyone would love to have on their team and that everyone else hates if he's not on their team. He was the backbone of that 2002-2003 team that almost beat Kansas in the Sweet 16. What a great game that was (minus the final score of course).

Dahntay was the leader on that 02-03 team with a bunch of freshmen and it should be noted that Duhon, really the only other major upperclassman on that team, had the worst year of his Duke career.

I personally enjoyed his attitude when he played at Duke and never thought he did much to earn any ire. His "showmanship" (the push-ups after his dunk in the youtube clip) could have been toned down a little but he really played his heart out and left what he had on the court. The man shouldn't be panned and, yes, I'd have him on the team any year.

I'm really suprised to compare the Elton thread to the Dahntay thread. Elton gets crazy love, and Dahntay gets blasted? Are you kidding me?

Dahntay was a guy that played with fire and passion. Although a transfer student, he really immersed himself into the Duke culture. He was a leader to a team full of freshman, when ACC Preseason Player of the Year Chris Duhon had pretty much a dud of a season. Dahntay's two years at Duke are much more moving to me than Elton's--by far! Even though the '99 team is probably the one I am closest to emotionally (it was my senior year team), I'm still pretty annoyed that Elton didn't play a little harder, throughout the year, and especially on Monday Night. Does anyone else remember when Quin came and told the Crazies to yell that Muhammed Ali "Elton Kumay-yeh" thing or whatever it was to get him to play harder? Seeing what Battier and Cwell became after that season, I wish we'd given them a few more shots at the time. Elton couldn't take care of Jake Voskul because he had the NBA on his mind and really, he never totally unpacked his bags at Duke. He's certainly never coming back to get the degree that Dahntay has.

Clearly, I have my issues with Brand, but when I see him get so much support, and then to hear that people have a problem with Dahntay Jones, I'm flabbergasted. Dahntay loved being a Blue Devil, and I am proud to call him a fellow alum. He's a guy that played his butt off, and with so much heart, and had to show a lot of toughness to carry a team full of freshman. He's still the only Blue Devil that I know of with a tatoo of the Duke "D". Show the man some love!

Right on Edouble! Dahntay was a fine Dukie, proud of his team and his school.
    Good enough for me!
    Maybe I should get one of those gothic "D" tatoos, too.

FWIW, I think Duhon also has a Duke D tattoo!

Dahntay is far and away my favorite Duke Player- there are a lot of Duke Players that can match his heart, but very few could match his personality, swagger, and stones.

Dahntay was the player we sorely needed during the 2006 run that got ended prematurely. He's the quick, "athletic" scorer that everyone complained about us not having so vociferously. Hating on him is preposterous.

But getting back to the main point...Hard to say if he'll play in the NBA again. Dahntay was always destined to be never more than a marginal pro; not tall enough to play 3, not a good enough shooter or ball handler to play 2. When I saw him try out for the Celtics last year, he really looked out of place; he didn't seem to move well away from the ball at all. It wasn't surprising they cut him.
    My bet is he heads overseas for a few more years, where he can get by for 2 or 3 more years on athletic ability, and then that'll be it.

Quote Originally Posted by juise View Post
    One of the related videos had Dahntay dunking "over" Yao (which has been posted before, but is worth another go-around).
    I noticed that too, and looked at it. And then I noticed that in the related videos there were about 15 other videos of Yao getting dunked on by various players (Kobe, Luol, Melo, etc.) Does any other player of Yao's talent level get dunked on that much? I watched some of them, he just kind of flops back in all of them...

Brand

I can't speak to Elton not playing hard throughout the year, but I did observe that Voskuhl was tackling him a good degree in that game--Elton never I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.ed or complained, but it's hard to receive the ball much less shoot when ol Jake has you in a full nelson.

I agree with you to a point, but there are plenty of Duke teams have made it to the FF without a guy like him (see 1994 ). I like feistiness, and I like guys that don't take any crap (Billy King, Phil Henderson, Laettner, McLeod, Wojo) , but I thought he went too far. I don't think I need my head examined over expressing that opinion. :O)

FWIW, I thought CP3 and Ndiaye took what Dahntay did to another extreme. I really detested those two.