Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Boozer View Post
    Does anyone know which year the holes actually decided to start claiming the undefeated season against 1920's' rec clubs as an official NC???
    Weren't they still using peach baskets then?

Mad Lib Response...

VERB Chapel Hill up the BODY PART with an ADJECTIVE NOUN!

I saw the promos. Talking about all the jerseys and banners for basketball. Half those are ADJECTIVE NOUN anyway.

Like another poster said, I can EASILY make the argument for many other cities being given the label Titletown over those ADJECTIVE NOUNS in Chapel PARENT VERB Hill.

ADJECTIVE ADJECTIVE ADJECTIVE VERB NOUNS!

Diety Damnit.

-EarlJam

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedawg View Post
    University of North Carolina fans will have a chance to prove to the country what they already believe -- that Chapel Hill is the capital of sports in this country.
    The town is among 20 finalists for ESPN's "Titletown USA." After an online nomination process that was open to the public, producers chose 50 cities and towns. The top 20 was set by a panel made up of 12 SportsCenter anchors and 19 journalists not associated with the sports TV network.

'Titletown' nominee: Chapel Hill

What are thier chances? I was thinking about nominating the triangle with the hurricanes, State, Duke, UNC Central and UNC. can UNC claim that on their own.

Yahoo! Sports answer to TitleTown

Yahoo! Sports says "Forget TitleTown: Where do you want to be a fan?"

They list the best cities to be a sports fan and ask you to vote: Atlanta, Austin, Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles, New York, Raleigh.

For Raleigh: "The bad: If you can't stand the Duke-UNC rivalry, Raleigh's probably not for you.

The ugly: No comment."

Ouch! Liked the article until the last line!

The only thing more lame than the Helms Trophy factoring into this discussion is when ESPN added included Tiger Woods in the discussion about Stanford. True, Tiger went to Stanford, but his accomplishments for the university was one NCAA title.

Much as I hate to use UNC as a reference point here, but using Tiger's pro success as a measure of Stanford's worth as "Titletown" makes about as much sense as counting Jordan's titles with the Bulls when evaluating Chapel Hill.

Celebrate

I hate to disagree with everyone but I think the 1924 Helms Championship should be celebrated. In fact I propose making bumperstickers and tee shirts to comemorate the title.

"1924 does anyone remember the score?"

"Our 1924 team was an collegiate wonder,
    anyone who remembers is now 6 feet under."

"Sure we won a championship when they still used peach baskets, let's have a reunion and dig up the caskets!"

"That 1924 championship is especially vital, we never brought it up until Duke tied us for titles."