View Poll Results: What's your favorite breakfast joint?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bob Evans

1 2.86%
  • Denny's

2 5.71%
  • IHOP

4 11.43%
  • Original House of Pancakes

2 5.71%
  • Perkins

1 2.86%
  • Shoney's

0 0%
  • Waffle House

3 8.57%
  • Other

22 62.86%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Uncle Bill's Pancake House

in St. Louis (on Hampton).

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by 2535Miles View Post
    Is El's Drive In still around? Not really a breakfast joint but you could get a bacon and egg sandwich. I miss that place.
    Yes and still busy as always.

Quote Originally Posted by HaveFunExpectToWin View Post
    An order of silver dollar pancakes, hashbrowns, and a Coke cured many a hangover at this Nashville establishment right by the Vandy campus.

Bonus: I saw Faith Hill there my freshman year.
    There's a Pancake Pantry in Gatlinburg, TN. Best pancakes I've ever had. For those that live in the Winston-Salem area, there's a sister restaurant called the Midtown Cafe and Dessertery. Pretty much the same pancakes and the Big Buckaroo is good eatin' too.

I agree with BB's point regarding limiting our votes to chains, so I went with IHOP.

If I were including local breakfast joints, here would be a few of my favorites.

Tip Top Meats, Carlsbad, CA (This place is a German market, butcher, and restaurant. The Big John breakfast is off the charts. Three eggs, potatoes, bread, and all of the bacon, sausage, pork, ham, and bratwurst you can eat. All for 6 bucks. It was my dream breakfast when I was on the Atkins diet.

Mickey's Country Kitchen, Walkertown, NC (awesome pork tenderloin and great biscuits.)

In Lynchburg I like The Country Kitchen. It's a super cheap local place where all of the retired guys come for breakfast.

Quote Originally Posted by mph View Post
    Tip Top Meats, Carlsbad, CA (This place is a German market, butcher, and restaurant. The Big John breakfast is off the charts. Three eggs, potatoes, bread, and all of the bacon, sausage, pork, ham, and bratwurst you can eat. All for 6 bucks. It was my dream breakfast when I was on the Atkins diet.
    Tip Top is Awesome! I used to live right up the hill from Tip Top before I moved to LA. Their breakfast cannot be beat and their butchers are fantastic. It is always my first stop when we're going to grill out or throw a party. Great call!

I couldn't decide. I love a ton of them. My favorites: WaHo, Original Pancake House, IHOP, Bob Evans, Shoney's, and Denny's. Others that are not included on the original poll list are the Cracker Barrell and the Omelette Shoppe (similar setup to WaHo and Huddle House, but specializing in omelettes).
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Talking A St. Louis institution

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    Uncle Bill's Pancake House in St. Louis (on Hampton).
    Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner!!!!

A VERY wise call!

... and it sure beat the Parkmoor when that one was still around.

Arkie Dukie: go immediately to it!

Cheers,
    Lavabe

I love Walker Brothers pancakes which has a few restaurants in the burbs north of Chicago. Mmmmmmmm!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DukePA View Post
    I love Walker Brothers pancakes which has a few restaurants in the burbs north of Chicago. Mmmmmmmm!!!!!!
    Definitely good stuff (my wife is from the area), but I can't handle those apple pancakes. After a few mouthfuls, it's just too sweet.

My house.

"Dad, will you make a big breakfast?"

"Of course."

Cheese grits, country ham (and bacon for mrsallenmurray who never acquired a taste for country ham, though I love her anyway), biscuits (made only with Red Band brand flour), eggs over easy (so you can smush them into the grits), high quality blackberry preserves, and cantaloupe.

On days that you are not sure if there is a god, eat that breakfast. YOu still might not be sure, but you'll feel better anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilBaby View Post
    Bob and Edith's in Arlington, VA. It's in an old Arby's and has a shaded outdoor seating area. Awesome on a Sun. morning.
    I voted "other" with Bob & Edith's in mind. Great diner.

BDB, however, has described the 2nd (and lesser/expansion) location. The original Bob & Edith's has no outdoor seating, and is much closer to the Marine Barracks on Columbia Pike.

B&E2 doesn't come close in dinerdom to B&E1, the Metro Diner on Lee Highway, or an awesome old diner out in Fairfax, not too far from GMU. There's also a good one up in Rockville, Md. that was worth the hike. (I love old Diners, in case you couldn't tell.)

Quote Originally Posted by HaveFunExpectToWin View Post
    An order of silver dollar pancakes, hashbrowns, and a Coke cured many a hangover at this Nashville establishment right by the Vandy campus.
    Used to live w/in walking distance of this place, never saw the allure... then again, maybe it was hidden by the crowds causing an hour+ wait on weekends.

Waffle House still stands as the best breakfast chain, in my book.

I'm from New Jersey. We didn't have chains, we had diners. Medport Diner in Medford, NJ was where we always went...

The best now is Elmo's Diner near East Campus. Before the baby came along, we ate there pretty much every other weekend. We just brought the 10-week old there last week for her first trip. :-) And not the last.

If I HAD to pick a chain, I'd probably go with CB. Their thick-cut bacon is to die for.

chains

I too voted other. Its a chain but only local to Dallas (maybe other parts of TX too) - Cafe Brazil.

long gone

The best place to eat breakfast closed over ten years ago. Akron Drive Restaurant in Winston-Salem near WFU. It was traditionally open 24 hours, so naturally students ate there often. Then it cut its hours, but was still a great place to go on a weekend morning. Smaller than Waffle House, I believe, so you had to wait usually. I could get one egg, grits, two big AWESOME homemade biscuits, coffee, and tip for $3. I cried a little when it closed.

It actually still had brains and eggs listed on the menu.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilBaby View Post
    Bob and Edith's in Arlington, VA. It's in an old Arby's and has a shaded outdoor seating area. Awesome on a Sun. morning.
    Yeah, baby! Bob and Edith's also has some real characters in there at 2 in the morning when you're heading back to VA after a night out in DC. I'm referring to the one on Columbia Pike. Apparently there is another one because I have never seen outdoor seating.
    The Gordog