Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Ok, the semifinal matchups are set and it is the most bizarre pairings you will ever see.

On one side is 1991 Duke vs. 1992 Duke. These are essentially the exact same teams -- except one is older and more confident in itself. Predictably, 1992 Duke is currently winning 63% - 37%

On the other side is 1973 NC State vs. 1974 NC State. Whaaa?!?!?! Again, matchups of essentially the same teams (Monte Towe, Tom Burleson, and that dude named David were the key players on both squads). Of course, the 1974 version was older, stronger, wiser, whatever. Plus, 1974 was playing with a chip on its shoulder after 1973 was on probation and not allowed to play in the NCAAs. Again, I am not sure how you vote for 1973 over 1974 (though the 1973 team went undefeated and the 1974 club lost one game -- to a truly great Maryland club, IIRC).

Anyway, as you might imagine 1974 is leading 74% - 26%.

Looking like we are gonna see 1974 NC State against 1992 Duke for the "title." A great matchup. Hard to argue with these two being the two best teams of all-time in the ACC.

-Jason "glad to see none of the panzy Carolina teams make it through -- though the 1957 club was truly great and could be in the conversation here" Evans

How can a parent choose between two (incredible, amazing, successful, perfect) children... 91' or 92'... just can't do it

I don't grieve for the 2000 team so much because it led directly to the 2001 campaign, which was exhilarating. On the downside, that 2000 tournament did give Billy Donovan his first taste of coaching success...

Semifinals. The results when I voted:

1991 Duke 35%
    1992 Duke 65%

A bit generous to the 1991 team. Not only was the 1992 squad more accomplished and memorable, but it failed to crumble even with the #1 target on its backs all season. I have great adoration for Duke 1991, a very tough team in its own right, but I just don't see how it was superior. (Though I suppose 1991's seniors and Billy McCaffrey were better than 1992's freshmen.)

1973 NCSU 26%
    1974 NCSU 74%

Before my time, so it's nearly impossible for me to gauge the comparative strengths here. It's a testament to the Wolfpack fans that a non-title team (whatever the circumstances) got this far.

Stunning to see 4 UNC teams in the quarterfinals and none making it to the next round. I haven't seen Carolina basketball choke like that in, like, months. When they fail again next season -- and I think they will -- they could go far in a nationwide bracket comparing the best teams that lost in the NCAA tournament. (Though they'll face some stiff competition from 3 Duke squads and any number of Kansas squads coached by Ol' Roy.) I'd very much like to see someone do that poll.

Since DBR is poll skewin' here's another one:
    http://www.sportsline.com/collegebas...story/10892112

It appears that July is the time of year for sports websites to beg for visitor hits. (Isn't baseball enough? No? Okay.) Way too many irrelevant polls out there, but let's stick with this one.

Finals. The results when I voted:

1992 Duke 16%
    1974 NCSU 84%

I think that, given the bracket positions, the right two teams are in the final. (None of UNC's four champions, nor Maryland 2002, can realistically make the cut here.) And, objectively speaking, the right team is receiving more votes, though the percentage lead is obscenely exaggerated.

Duke's 1992 squad was known and beloved for a lot of things, but amazing comebacks wasn't one of them. (We either played close or were well ahead.) This is a Raleigh-based news agency, with a lot of hometown support, so the Wolfpack were going to win. But let's vote and make this respectable.