Seattle vacation review

Following up on my request from a couple weeks ago, here are a few tidbits from our Friday nite to Sunday afternoon visit to the Emerald City.

Overall, a very nice city for a visit and several day stay.

Hey, DA, I hope you are reading as we got a hotel upgrade at the Westin and had a room on the 36th floor with a view of the city (with the way the hotel looks, I think all the rooms had city views). Our faced north and we had a fabulous view of Lake Union on a gorgeous Saturday AM. On to the market.

Breakfast at Pieroschka, Pieroschka (sp?), a Russian bakery at the north end of the market. My wife had a large, fresh cinnamon apple pastry and I had a large, fluffy square pastry with groud beef and onions. Yum. Into the market.

Quite crowded but we headed to the fruit vendors and sampled ourselves silly on Bing cherries and bought about 1/2 pound of Ranier cherries. Delicious. Found another bakery and had a Russian tea cookie and mixed berry scone. Oohh. We passed many vendors and saw one with a light colored fruit resembling a raspberry, inquired about it and found out it was a golden raspberry. He said we should support the local farmers and, of course, we did, with a 1/2 pint purchase. Tasty. On to 1st Avenue and some window shopping and some real shopping. Pioneer Square is next.

Smith Tower was a cool 35 floor hand operated elevator ride to an observation deck for a fabulous panorama fo the city on a mega clear day.

The Underground tour was fascinating as we entered and exited various alleys, stairways, dark passages, basements that comprised the "2nd Seattle" built on/under/around/under wood, cement, bricks and human waste. Take the tour and you will understand. Next, down to Qwest, Safeco and the Pyramid Alehouse. Oops, that's for another thread.

Seattle vacation review

Finished up the afternoon with a Cow Chip Cookie, some walking and window shopping and a nap in the hotel before heading out to the Olympic Sculpture Park (strange) and then Quinn's for dinner. Delicious. Eclectic. 20-30 somethings crowd. Good beer selections. See "ymm, beer" thread for the only adult beverage I enjoyed that evening. Walked around some more and retired early.

Sunday was a visit to the park around the Space Needle and a couple hours in the Experimental Music Project (kind of a small rock and roll museum with a heavy emphasis on native son, Jimi Hendrix) and the science fiction museum. Walked to the pier so we could avoid the parade that day which blocked 4th Avenue for a few hours and then boarded the cruise ship.

Fun and interesting city. We would certainly love to return and spend more time in the city and the surrounding areas. Just did not have time to get to Alki or take the ferry to Bainbridge. Also missed the Pike Brewery.