Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    For a guy that I've seen listed consistently as 6'8" or occasionally 6'9" (even heard Coach K say that), no, I don't think he is definitely 6'6".

But he is what he is. He is definitely a good player, and key to our success.
    I hope he can still rebound this year now that he is shorter

Here's some unreasonable expectations for you: I'll be mildly disappointed if I can't look you in the eye at the end of the year and tell you that Singler should be a first team all-American. I hope we have enough team success to get him in the NPOY conversation.

As for Lance, I wouldn't be terribly surprised if he's squeezed out of his starting job like Greg last year. That's tough to say without knowing just how ready to play Kelley and the Plumlees are, but most of us are expecting to play slower next year, and I don't think that's LT's game. He'll get double-digit minutes regardless because he'll be an important piece (particularly on defense) and we're thin in general, but he's not a lock for even 6 points per game, and K should not feature Lance in the offense as much as he does Singler, Scheyer, Nolan, or - I'm guessing on this one - Mason.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    As for Lance, I wouldn't be terribly surprised if he's squeezed out of his starting job like Greg last year. That's tough to say without knowing just how ready to play Kelley and the Plumlees are, but most of us are expecting to play slower next year, and I don't think that's LT's game. He'll get major minutes regardless because we're thin in general, but he's not a lock for even 6 points per game, and K should not feature Lance in the offense as much as he does Singler, Scheyer, Nolan, or - I'm guessing on this one - Mason.
    I expect Lance to start or not start based on matchups, but in most games to come off the bench. It won't be like Greg, however, because when Greg stopped starting his minutes went way down, and Lance is going to see a lot of minutes next year due to his defensive versatility.

As for Kyle, now that he's 6'6", voila! We have three guards again.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    I expect Lance to start or not start based on matchups, but in most games to come off the bench. It won't be like Greg, however, because when Greg stopped starting his minutes went way down, and Lance is going to see a lot of minutes next year due to his defensive versatility.
    Agreed. I don't expect him to take the dive in minutes that Greg did, at any point in the season, so not the best analogy.

If he keeps shrinking

He could be the answer at the point.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    Agreed. I don't expect him to take the dive in minutes that Greg did, at any point in the season, so not the best analogy.
    Not really a fair comparison since Greg averaged 27.7 mpg his junior year. LT only averaged 18.6 mpg his junior year. It's a lot easier to "take [a] dive in minutes" when you average nearly 10 mpg more. Btw, Greg averaged 16.1 mpg last season.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Not really a fair comparison since Greg averaged 27.7 mpg his junior year. LT only averaged 18.6 mpg his junior year. It's a lot easier to "take [a] dive in minutes" when you average nearly 10 mpg more. Btw, Greg averaged 16.1 mpg last season.
    Your point makes sense, but personally I expect LT to start fewer games next year and at the same time see his minutes increase. If I'm right, he would clearly be on a different path from GP.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    For a guy that I've seen listed consistently as 6'8" or occasionally 6'9" (even heard Coach K say that), no, I don't think he is definitely 6'6".

But he is what he is. He is definitely a good player, and key to our success.
    I agree roywhite. He is the key to our success this year no matter what his height. As for his rebounding ability, I just look back at his freshman year where he had to defend the opponents #5 many games. At 6'6" I don't think he could have been as successful as he was in doing that. Go Duke!

Your point makes sense, but personally I expect LT to start fewer games next year and at the same time see his minutes increase. If I'm right, he would clearly be on a different path from GP.
    I agree with all of this. IMO, Lance plays 20-25 MPG (much more than last year if he can stay out of FT and hit FTs) but usually does not start if Mason can play PF better which I think he can.

If Duke is playing a team with a big center where Zoubek/Miles can play a role for a combined 30 MPG with Mason the other 10, then Kelly sees more time at PF too with Lance the designated perimeter defender.

Against a really small team, Lance may play more PF and Mason more center. In those OOC games, Duke can win anyway and ought to stick with its bigs IMO to draw fouls on an already undersized team.

The exception would be Sims from Michigan and Monroe from G-town type of games where outcome may not be in doubt.

http://www.draftexpress.com/blog/Hig...-Profiles-3294

DraftExpress has some write-ups on Singler, Barnes, and Dawkins from the LBJ Academy. Let's hope the scuttlebut on Barnes is old or faulty. The other obvious common thread in these 3 players evaluations and most Duke recruits is the competitiveness and maturity they apparently show.
    Last edited by SupaDave; 07-14-2009 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Article has thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Double DD View Post
    -

http://www.draftexpress.com/blog/Hig...-Profiles-3294

DraftExpress has some write-ups on Singler, Barnes, and Dawkins from the LBJ Academy. Let's hope the scuttlebut on Barnes is old or faulty. The other obvious common thread in these 3 players evaluations and most Duke recruits is the competitiveness and maturity they apparently show.
    From his draft review...

Looking forward, Singler will have a tough choice to make this coming offseason, as he currently projects as a mid-to-late first round pick if he declares. There are some questions about what position he will play at the next level, but combo forwards of similar physical builds such as Hedo Turkoglu have found niches in the league, regardless of position. Singler still needs a lot of work to develop his skill level to have that kind of impact, both with his ball-handling and his shooting, however teams will likely be attracted to his relentless work ethic, very high basketball IQ and strong role-player potential.

Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    From his draft review...

Looking forward, Singler will have a tough choice to make this coming offseason, as he currently projects as a mid-to-late first round pick if he declares. There are some questions about what position he will play at the next level, but combo forwards of similar physical builds such as Hedo Turkoglu have found niches in the league, regardless of position. Singler still needs a lot of work to develop his skill level to have that kind of impact, both with his ball-handling and his shooting, however teams will likely be attracted to his relentless work ethic, very high basketball IQ and strong role-player potential.
    That's a pretty accurate write-up from DraftExpress, in my opinion. Turkoglu is a nice approximation of the type of player that Singler could hope to become. Turkoglu is a better ballhandler and better shooter than Singler. But with time Singler could improve his ballhandling and his shooting.

Though I'd note that Turkoglu is pretty much a SF or point-forward rather than a combo forward. He's spent very little time at the PF spot, and only plays there when Orlando goes REALLY small. I think the same applies for Singler. He'll be a swingman or SF in the NBA - especially if he really is 6'6"/6'7" as suggested by the DraftExpress/Nike measurements.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    That's a pretty accurate write-up from DraftExpress, in my opinion. Turkoglu is a nice approximation of the type of player that Singler could hope to become. Turkoglu is a better ballhandler and better shooter than Singler. But with time Singler could improve his ballhandling and his shooting.

Though I'd note that Turkoglu is pretty much a SF or point-forward rather than a combo forward. He's spent very little time at the PF spot, and only plays there when Orlando goes REALLY small. I think the same applies for Singler. He'll be a swingman or SF in the NBA - especially if he really is 6'6"/6'7" as suggested by the DraftExpress/Nike measurements.
    Turkoglu is also around 6'10", which makes a big difference if Singler is only around 6'7" in shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Clipsfan View Post
    Turkoglu is also around 6'10", which makes a big difference if Singler is only around 6'7" in shoes.
    True. Of course, Turkoglu is listed at 6'10". We don't know if that's his true height. Remember Singler is listed as 6'8" or 6'9", so the height might or might not be a big difference. But if Singler is really 6'7" in shoes and Turkoglu is really 6'10", then I agree that is a big difference.