Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Kyle Singler article and update

Kyle Singler is currently participating in the Lebron James Skills Academy in Akron, Ohio as are many Duke recruiting prospects. The Academy has both college and high school players who ball and learn skill sets seperately. Jay Bilas is helping out and Coach K was there today.

Here is Bob Green on Singler - http://bluedevilnation.wordpress.com...ke-basketball/

nice article

good to see that Kyle has the desire to amp up his game, and Duke´s game. Although i agree about the next articel about LT and how a player´s value is not always measured by a box score, i thought it was pretty thin. I hope he improves in the coming year, and he did improe some in his So. year as well. More rebounds would be nice.

You want LT to improve on the boards and on D, get him more quality touches on the other end, particularly on the move. I believe that they started to look to do that at the end but that his handle was injured and he did not hurt people like he could.

If K wants LT to contribute more in doing the heavy lifting, he will have to empower him to exert control on the offensive end over stronger/bigger opponents. Last year the offense was not geared to that, although there were signs of it, in the first NC game in particular where I believe that LT's inside scoring early set the tone for the game.

With a healed handle (let's hope), LT should make those twisty little layups he missed at the end of some otherwise neat interior pass to a diving/riving Thomas. He makes them the other guys don't "look so proud," don't feel so bold, coming down the other end. LT then shoots a lane, makes a steal, uses his length to snare a long handed rebound and starts a break, and boom, a run for Duke started by their fifth starter.

K and his staff have to decide whether they want to feature LT the way they featured many of the other starters. Not because he is the best player at his position, but because it is the nature of the game that if a talented guy gets the edge on the interior in space and momentum on a defender, that defender is in a world of trouble.

This team if it wants to reah its potential must do that, in my opinion. We sahll see if the Kman agrees.

Greybeard--

What do you mean when you say that LT needs to have a healed handle? To me "handle" refers to ball handling, and I'm not sure how this can be injured. Is "handle" slang for something else?

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    Greybeard--

What do you mean when you say that LT needs to have a healed handle? To me "handle" refers to ball handling, and I'm not sure how this can be injured. Is "handle" slang for something else?
    Good question...I'm just surprised that there was no mention of needing to play soccer.

hand...le

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    Greybeard--

Didn't LT have an injured hand? I think that's what the Grey one is referring to.

Quote Originally Posted by greybeard View Post
    You want LT to improve on the boards and on D, get him more quality touches on the other end, particularly on the move. I believe that they started to look to do that at the end but that his handle was injured and he did not hurt people like he could.

If K wants LT to contribute more in doing the heavy lifting, he will have to empower him to exert control on the offensive end over stronger/bigger opponents. Last year the offense was not geared to that, although there were signs of it, in the first NC game in particular where I believe that LT's inside scoring early set the tone for the game.

With a healed handle (let's hope), LT should make those twisty little layups he missed at the end of some otherwise neat interior pass to a diving/riving Thomas. He makes them the other guys don't "look so proud," don't feel so bold, coming down the other end. LT then shoots a lane, makes a steal, uses his length to snare a long handed rebound and starts a break, and boom, a run for Duke started by their fifth starter.

K and his staff have to decide whether they want to feature LT the way they featured many of the other starters. Not because he is the best player at his position, but because it is the nature of the game that if a talented guy gets the edge on the interior in space and momentum on a defender, that defender is in a world of trouble.

This team if it wants to reah its potential must do that, in my opinion. We sahll see if the Kman agrees.

I'm sorry but this is one of the most hilarious posts I've ever read. The whole handle thing is hilarious and then the rest of this is pure speculation.

L.T. will of course be better this year. Has there EVER been a Duke player that didn't get better?

Physically imposing? Never. And Lance knows that and I've even seen him state it in an article.

However, one thing that he knows he does have is speed. Coach K utilized it a lot last year and Lance did indeed have some great games that were not necessarly notated in the box score.

The one thing I saw, that lets me know he's gonna be a lot better than you think this year, is the fact that close to the end of the year - he stopped pump faking so freaking much. That was his achilles heel and the bigger players simply waited on him. By the end of the year he figured it out and started going straight up - his confidence soared in the process.

That in itself will give us a much better player this year.

Oh yeah - back to the speculation. I'm gonna write down that scenario b/c if I EVER see Lance Thomas physically take over a game I'm gonna lose my freaking mind. We should beat that team by a minimum of 30 points.

Supa "Lance is a lock for a minimum 8 and 5 next year" Dave

Interesting - Kyle measured out to be only 6'7 in shoes

http://www.draftexpress.com/blog/Hig...emy-Recap-3293

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverBlowingBubbles View Post
    Interesting - Kyle measured out to be only 6'7 in shoes

http://www.draftexpress.com/blog/Hig...emy-Recap-3293
    Apparently Nike did those measurements, and if you click the Kyle Singler link higher up in the article it says he is 6'9" 210 so 2 inches taller but weights 12 less pounds. So lots of variation as I recall hearing he had gotten up to 230 last year.

The 'link higher up' is more than likely just based on an estimate or just taken off our roster since Draft Express doesn't do any kind of measurements themselves.

This measurement was done in the last week so if it is correct, its current. 6'7 in shoes puts Kyle's real height at about 6'6.

The 'link higher up' is more than likely just based on an estimate or just taken off our roster since Draft Express doesn't do any kind of measurements themselves.

This measurement was done in the last week so if it is correct, its current. 6'7 in shoes puts Kyle's real height at about 6'6.
    But then you look at this picture

http://bluedevilnation.net/?p=2430

and he is very nearly as tall as MP1 and MP2. No way is Singler only 6'6, IMHO.
    The Gordog

Quote Originally Posted by The Gordog View Post

I always thought he looked shorter than Hansbrough when standing next to him... I don't know how accurately that picture can be used judge his height either. College rosters notoriously overstate players heights by an inch or two. He's still a big guy. More power to him if at 6'7 he's able to hold down the post... I would have guessed around 6'7 6'8 without shoes on, but I don't think you can rule that there is no way he's only 6'6.

If the measurement is legit its just interesting because it may slightly effect his stock (as at 6'9 he would be a good sized NBA SF but at 6'6 he would just be about average). I suppose we will see what he measures out at next year if he decides to go to pre-draft camp. He'll be a 1st rounder either way.

On Tuesdays, I'm 5'11", on Fridays, I'm 5'9"

You would think they would just bring the same scale and ruler with them to all of the camps...

Got to be the shoes!

Quote Originally Posted by The Gordog View Post

In that photo Kyle is standing in front of the others, so there may be some distortion from the camera angle. In the team photo he appears to be quite a bit shorter than Miles...

http://www.goduke.com/SportSelect.db...45&SPSID=22727

but a shade taller than Lance, even though both are listed as 6-8. Of course, since Duke listed DeMarcus at 6-4 and the NBA measured him at 6-0 in socks, anything is possible.

If Kyle is truly 6-6 and only 1" taller than our friend Greivis, then it makes perfect sense for him to play a traditional swingman role this year, John Havlicek style. So maybe this is good news if we want to consider that our beer mug if half full.
    Last edited by miramar; 07-13-2009 at 10:04 AM. Reason: precision

If Kyle is 6'6", he may be the best rebounder for his size Duke has had in a long time. That means he and Jon are about the same height. No way! Go Duke!

rebounder

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    If Kyle is 6'6", he may be the best rebounder for his size Duke has had in a long time. That means he and Jon are about the same height. No way! Go Duke!
    Actually, DeMarcus Nelson (who was somewhere between 6-0 and 6-4) would get the title as "the best rebounder for his size". In 2008, he ended up with one less rebound for the season than Singler (somewhere between 6-6 and 6-9).

I think I can resolve the discrepancy. Here is what he looked like when he was measured 6'8"

And this is what he looks like now:

Heights

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Actually, DeMarcus Nelson (who was somewhere between 6-0 and 6-4) would get the title as "the best rebounder for his size". In 2008, he ended up with one less rebound for the season than Singler (somewhere between 6-6 and 6-9).
    I think this conversation about players heights is in multiple threads but suffice it to say - DeMarc was and is 6' 1" tall on a good day and is perhaps the best rebounding guard at that size Duke has ever had. Singler is definitely only 6' 6" tall- and that more than anything will require him to be a more consistent scorer from the wing to get to the next level. Two years of practice at Duke ought to do it

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    I think this conversation about players heights is in multiple threads but suffice it to say - DeMarc was and is 6' 1" tall on a good day and is perhaps the best rebounding guard at that size Duke has ever had. Singler is definitely only 6' 6" tall- and that more than anything will require him to be a more consistent scorer from the wing to get to the next level. Two years of practice at Duke ought to do it
    For a guy that I've seen listed consistently as 6'8" or occasionally 6'9" (even heard Coach K say that), no, I don't think he is definitely 6'6".

But he is what he is. He is definitely a good player, and key to our success.