Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

All-ACC Predictions

Here is my best guess, but this is one of the hardest things to predict. I am sure there are about 10 other combinations equally as likely.

- A couple of notes-
    - I put Vasquez down on the third team, because without help down low the defenses will really key in on him and his assists off interior dishes will disappear
    -KC Rivers was the last man in on my 1st team, but as the returning leader of a balanced and talented core I really see him emerging as the best player on a very good team
    -Sky is the limit for James Johnson who averaged 15 and 8 as a Freshman and will be the go to scorer on a good Wake team
    -Paulus didn't make a team because with Scheyer in the starting lineup as a Junior I think his numbers will go up enough to bump Paulus off the third team although I can see Paulus as high as second team depending on how good Duke actually becomes

1st Team-
    Rice (BC)
    Henderson (Duke)
    Hansbrough (Carolina)
    Rivers (Clemson)
    McClinton (Miami)

2nd Team-
    Lawson (UNC)
    Singler (Duke)
    J. Johnson (Wake)
    D. Collins (Miami)
    Ellington (UNC)

3rd Team-
    Teague (Wake)
    A.D. Vasallo (Va. Tech)
    Vasquez (Maryland)
    Scheyer (Duke)
    T. Douglas (Fl St)

Honorable Mention- Paulus (Duke), Lawal (Georgia Tech), J. Allen (Va. Tech)

i think that Lawson and even Vazquez are far better PG than Rice and McClinton who are just crazy shooters. I hope Singler can be in the first team too

Quote Originally Posted by guybrush View Post
    i think that Lawson and even Vazquez are far better PG than Rice and McClinton who are just crazy shooters. I hope Singler can be in the first team too
    I totally agree... unfortunately positions don't matter much in All-ACC voting. It's all about numbers.

I think you are overlooking Paulus to your peril on these lists.

I'd take Booker and Allen over Collins any day of the week.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    I'd take Booker and Allen over Collins any day of the week.
    Yah, I thought about sticking Allen up there, but my theory was that with Miami becoming a legit ACC contender Collins will be putting up some much improved numbers... it'll be close though.

I'd love it if a few of you guys would put up your own predictions...

Smile Well....

Perception is often reality in Alll-Star teams. I would begin by looking at the 12 returning players from the 2008 All-ACC teams and hon. mention, moved up in the same numerical order:

1st Team
    Hansbrough - UNC
    Rice - BC
    McLinton - MIA
    Vazquez - UMd
    Ellington - UNC

2nd team
    Vassallo - VT
    Rivers - CL
    Singler - DU
    Douglas - FSU
    Johnson - WF

3rd Team
    Paulus - DU
    Lawson - UNC

I have two comments on this list. First, Lawson, if healthy is likely to be 1st Team. Second, if Duke is one of the top two teams in the ACC next year, someone will make first team.

Re blueintheface's picks: I don't see Gerald leapfrogging Singler, Paulus (and Scheyer) to go from not even Hon. Mention to 1st Team. He would have to play incredibly well, and in Duke's balanced scheme no one will average 20 PPG.

Vazquez is in position to be 1st Team, based on being 2nd Team this year. If he learns to play under control without sacrificing his creativity, he should make it -- even on a weak UMd team. I doubt that he drops to third team.

And on the occasions when I watched VT, A.D. Vassallo always seemed to be the best player on the court. I wouldn't be surprised to see him move up to 1st Team.

Given the strength of the No. Car. news media in conference voting, I would expect Wake to have strong representation on the All-ACC team, unless they are a disappointment.

sagegrouse

1st: Hansbrough, Singler, Vasquez, Rice, McClinton

2nd: Scheyer, Henderson, Ellington, Johnson, Rivers

3rd: Booker, Teague, Lawson, Vassallo, Allen

My darkhorse candidate is Demontez Stitt.

i really don't think vasquez will be 1st team - i think he'll remain second team. look at the maryland team next year - they will be entering the season with so many questions. i think he will play well, but given what he will be surrounded by, i don't think his play will b elevated to the caliber of 1st team ACC

Quote Originally Posted by Davidson09 View Post
    i really don't think vasquez will be 1st team - i think he'll remain second team. look at the maryland team next year - they will be entering the season with so many questions. i think he will play well, but given what he will be surrounded by, i don't think his play will b elevated to the caliber of 1st team ACC
    Things don't look very good for Maryland, but Singletary and Rice made 1st team last year and played on bad ACC teams. Vasquez will have the numbers.

I think Hanbrough, Lawson, and Singler are all going to have an easy path to the first team. They'll have to put up much lower numbers than expected to be left off. Then, the other two spots are up for grabs, depending on individual stats and team performance. Some of the top candidates will be Ellington, Paulus, Henderson, Scheyer, McClinton, Rice, and Vasquez. It's difficult, but possible, to get three guys on the first team. I think the ACC will be a quality league this year, and UNC would probably have to really separate themselves (aka by going 15-1) to get Ellington on there as well. Henderson and Scheyer may hurt themselves by playing essentially the same position on a team with balanced scoring. G may be able to separate himself and push for the first team if he can prove himself to be a really strong defender, and garner a bigger national following by pairing his highlight dunks with about 15-16 ppg. I think Paulus would have to show some serious game control and lead us to a regular season championship to make the first team.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Perception is often reality in Alll-Star teams.
    This is very true... I put in Rice and McClinton for exactly that reason (last year all-acc members). In that same vein, I put Gerald and not Kyle on the 1st team because the media seems to already be tapping Gerald for one of the huge breakout players of the year. If he manages to even partially live up to this potential that all the prognosticators see in such abundance then he should be Duke's representative on the first team... even if Kyle may be more deserving. Plus, his game IS far more explosive and potentially memorable for media members.

Of course, it is always possible that both make the team and I would be just fine with that... but I doubt it will happen.

My darkhorse candidate is Demontez Stitt.
    ... SO TRUE. That kid could be the best pg in the acc if he wanted too... though i hear he has a few attitude issues

ehh

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    Here is my best guess, but this is one of the hardest things to predict. I am sure there are about 10 other combinations equally as likely.

- A couple of notes-
    - I put Vasquez down on the third team, because without help down low the defenses will really key in on him and his assists off interior dishes will disappear
    -KC Rivers was the last man in on my 1st team, but as the returning leader of a balanced and talented core I really see him emerging as the best player on a very good team
    -Sky is the limit for James Johnson who averaged 15 and 8 as a Freshman and will be the go to scorer on a good Wake team
    -Paulus didn't make a team because with Scheyer in the starting lineup as a Junior I think his numbers will go up enough to bump Paulus off the third team although I can see Paulus as high as second team depending on how good Duke actually becomes

1st Team-
    Rice (BC)
    Henderson (Duke)
    Hansbrough (Carolina)
    Rivers (Clemson)
    McClinton (Miami)

2nd Team-
    Lawson (UNC)
    Singler (Duke)
    J. Johnson (Wake)
    D. Collins (Miami)
    Ellington (UNC)

3rd Team-
    Teague (Wake)
    A.D. Vasallo (Va. Tech)
    Vasquez (Maryland)
    Scheyer (Duke)
    T. Douglas (Fl St)

I think the predictions are good, but I think that Courtney Fells and Brandon Costner will both have a breakout year and be on the 2nd team instead of collins and johnson, and elliott williams of our dukies will replace either douglas or scheyer for 3rd team.

and Vasquez could definatley be a 1st teamer after last year

"It's difficult, but possible, to get three guys on the first team"

Try once in 55 years difficult. And that was before 12 teams.

Should this unlikely sceanrio come to pass next season, I suspect Hansbrough, Lawson, and Ellington are way more likely than any Duke trio. But as I said, highly, highly unlikely anyone does it.

But probably more likely than Elliott Williams making All-ACC next season. 2010 maybe.

Paulus? Good chance for third team, outside chance for second team. If he makes first team, Duke is cutting down lots of nets.

Was just discussing this with some Duke friends the other day..

I am inclined to believe that Kyle will field the best overall numbers of anyone on our club this coming season, which, as another poster alluded to, should be enough to catapult him onto a First Team ACC position. (Once again, as that same poster made point of, Duke's best numbers man will most likely earn a First Team selection.) I do, however, believe that Gerald will be right there in terms of battling for a First Team slot, and may even garner one himself.

I think Greg, depending on the year he has and how well we do in the wins and losses column against Carolina, also has a chance to reach Second Team status. If we beat Carolina at least once, and finish ahead of the Heels in the ACC race, I think that could easily sway votes from Lawson towards Greg.

To finish things off, I also have Jon making the Third Team. He's just too damn good of an overall player not to make All-ACC. He will be there; it's just a matter of where.

Four All-ACC guys may seem like a lot, but, lest we forget, we had three on the All-ACC First Team alone back in 2001-02, while Maryland locked in the other two spots. So, as we have seen before, the ACC does not care how many players one team accumulates in the awards department.

I'm just praying that we beat Carolina twice, and that Kyle plays HUGE amazing, spectacular games in each contest.. How sweet would it be for a rising Duke soph to steal away Mr. Hansbrough's senior thunder?

We need to keep in mind that it's going to be a lot harder for one team to dominate the voting in a 12-team league than it was in a 9-team league.

We also need to keep in mind that Big Four schools now comprise a mere 33% of the league teams, down from a historic high of 57% when the league only had seven teams. I do not know if that is reflected in the voter breakdown but I'm pretty sure any Big Four bias as been significantly diminished.

Those are very good points, Mr. Sumner. I was just pointing out that a high one team percentage of All-ACC votes could happen, as it has in the past, but certainly not that it will again. At least not three same team First Teamers. That will likely never happen again.

I do see Duke landing four guys on the first three teams, though, especially if we edge out Carolina as the best team in the conference.

You are undoubtedly correct, however, in that it would be virtually impossible for any one team to land a majority of the ACC First Team. That occurrence in 2002 was more than likely a once in a lifetime happening.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Re blueintheface's picks: I don't see Gerald leapfrogging Singler, Paulus (and Scheyer) to go from not even Hon. Mention to 1st Team. He would have to play incredibly well, and in Duke's balanced scheme no one will average 20 PPG.
    Demarcus averaged less than 15, and I think gerald will average 15-16ppg, maybe more. I also think he will hit the boards more, assume some of demarcus' leadership responsibilities which includes doing little things on defense, getting big scores/blocks/rebounds/free throws etc. I dont think its at all unrealistic for him to be 1st team, though if I had to predict I'd guess 2nd team.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post

- A couple of notes-

1st Team-
    Rice (BC)
    Henderson (Duke)
    Hansbrough (Carolina)
    Rivers (Clemson)
    McClinton (Miami)

2nd Team-
    Lawson (UNC)
    Singler (Duke)
    J. Johnson (Wake)
    D. Collins (Miami)
    Ellington (UNC)

3rd Team-
    Teague (Wake)
    A.D. Vasallo (Va. Tech)
    Vasquez (Maryland)
    Scheyer (Duke)
    T. Douglas (Fl St)

I would count on 3 from WFU and Teague on the 1st Team as these guys will finish second in the conference - behind DUKE!! The frosh from GA should crack the 3rd team.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    "It's difficult, but possible, to get three guys on the first team"

Try once in 55 years difficult. And that was before 12 teams.

Should this unlikely sceanrio come to pass next season, I suspect Hansbrough, Lawson, and Ellington are way more likely than any Duke trio. But as I said, highly, highly unlikely anyone does it.
    It was also highly unlikely that all 4 #1 seeds would make the Final Four with a 65 team tournament field.

It was just about as unlikely that Carolina didn't lose anyone to the draft this year. If 3 guys from one squad make the First Team All-ACC, it's likely to be in a year like this, where the conference is top heavy, and returning some guys that were incredibley close to going into the draft. It would be a difficult feat, but far from impossible. I doubt there's anyone who thinks Hansbrough won't be on the first team, and that Lawson and Elington won't be on one of the top 2 All-ACC teams. If the 'Heels really dominate like they're expected to, and Duke has a balanced scoring attack, there's a good chance of this happening, as good a chance as we've had in a while.