View Poll Results: Will Brett Farve be playing in the NFL next season?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, he's still got the passion and will be back

16 38.10%
  • No, the rumors are unjustified

15 35.71%
  • He'll be back, but with a network as an analyst

11 26.19%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Brett Favre

I hate this story, not because Brett Favre is thinking about un-retiring and risking his legacy. It's because he's screwing up his legacy RIGHT NOW.

I believe people who retire should stay retired -- at least from the exact profession they were in. He's welcome to dabble in something else, or even start a second career, but he shouldn't put his fans and teammates (and yeah, employers) through the emotional ringer just to change his mind and inevitably do it again.

Obviously, Favre doesn't care about his legacy or what I think. Which is fine. But he's also wrong in thinking that he's somehow above the league and can get released from a contract commitment that he signed. I don't know or care about the Packers ownership, but I'm 100% with them on this one. Keep him, trade him, or send him a followup retirement card. Those are really their only options.

I may have jumped the gun on how Packers fans are going to respond to Favre's demands.

Quote Originally Posted by mph View Post
    I may have jumped the gun on how Packers fans are going to respond to Favre's demands.
    One of the interesting little twists in this saga is that IIRC, the Packers are publicly held. While I'd like to think that most Packers fans could see what was going on here, I have no doubt that sentimentality will push a sizable percentage of the fans into supporting a comeback. It will be interesting to see how popular opinion shapes the decision making of the Board of Directors (and thus the GM) as the Board is, of course, accountable to the shareholding public.

Hmm, guy with unbelieveable injuries early in his career makes it that far, had to go into rehab for overindulging in "pain killers" at one point in his career, has a terrific, injury-free season last year during which he performed better, as in hugely better, than in any preceding year in memory, and, then, in the wake of Mr. Roger et al, announces before his uniform is dry from his last game that he is retiring.

Is there a story within a story here, or is everybody just thinking that he was lucky?

Quote Originally Posted by UVaAmbassador View Post
    One of the interesting little twists in this saga is that IIRC, the Packers are publicly held. While I'd like to think that most Packers fans could see what was going on here, I have no doubt that sentimentality will push a sizable percentage of the fans into supporting a comeback. It will be interesting to see how popular opinion shapes the decision making of the Board of Directors (and thus the GM) as the Board is, of course, accountable to the shareholding public.
    Visit the What should the Packers do? thread. I post an article that discusses part of this.

As one unfortunately born into the unhappy station in life called "being a Vikings fan," I'm torn on all this. On the one hand, it pleases me to no end to see Packers fans so distraught about the Fav-ruh will he stay or will he go melodrama every offseason, and this just takes it epic. On the other hand, OMG, shut up about Brett Favre already, sports media.

There is no way the Vikes would pick him up, speculation be damned. If they're sane, that is. Not that I mind the Packers being irrationally terrified by the prospect. Chilly's been all "we have all the pieces in place" for the entire offseason, everyone's been yakkity-yakking about how ready Tarvaris Jackson is to take it the next level in his third year, and how he's taken on leadership responsibilities and matured, etc., etc., they made the biggest defensive free agent pickup of the offseason. They're potentially a perennial favorite to win the division and a deep playoff threat for the next five years if the Jackson works out, and AP and the offensive line hold up physically. They have what should easily be one of the best defensive lines in the league having added Allen to the two Williamses. Fun as it would be for Vikes fans when to drive over to Lambeau in purple No. 4 jerseys this year, to all of the sudden take a sidetrack into the Favre freak show for one season would be incredibly shortsighted. It could submarine Jackson's confidence permanently.

Quote Originally Posted by greybeard View Post
    Hmm, guy with unbelieveable injuries early in his career makes it that far, had to go into rehab for overindulging in "pain killers" at one point in his career, has a terrific, injury-free season last year during which he performed better, as in hugely better, than in any preceding year in memory, and, then, in the wake of Mr. Roger et al, announces before his uniform is dry from his last game that he is retiring.

Is there a story within a story here, or is everybody just thinking that he was lucky?
    Golly. Guess I'm being narcissistic here, but thought you were drawing a parallel to me, EarlJam. For I, EarlJam:

-Went through two surgeries and two other minor injuries
    -Had a bout with overindulging / getting off of pain killers (seriously)
    -Am having my best tennis season (last season and now) to date and am playing better than ever
    -Am nearly Favre's age and nearly announced my "retirement" from playing sports competitively last year

Why Favre and I are practically twins! (That was joke. Be gentle.)

-EarlJam

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    Golly. Guess I'm being narcissistic here, but thought you were drawing a parallel to me, EarlJam. For I, EarlJam:

-Went through two surgeries and two other minor injuries
    -Had a bout with overindulging / getting off of pain killers (seriously)
    -Am having my best tennis season (last season and now) to date and am playing better than ever
    -Am nearly Favre's age and nearly announced my "retirement" from playing sports competitively last year

Why Favre and I are practically twins! (That was joke. Be gentle.)

-EarlJam
    You doing roids too, EarlJam, say it ain't so. See, I wrote my man T about this as soon as Farv announced. I recall when he got all choked up, I thought he was about to come clean and caught himself.

If he was using, management found out, and with all the heat about roids in other sports, it was just too risky--thus, his retirement. Having swept it under the rug, now that he is clean, they can't exactly blow the whistle on him without blowing it on themselves. Man, I watch too much CSI; have got to stop.

You doing roids too, EarlJam, say it ain't so. See, I wrote my man T about this as soon as Farv announced. I recall when he got all choked up, I thought he was about to come clean and caught himself.

If he was using, management found out, and with all the heat about roids in other sports, it was just too risky--thus, his retirement. Having swept it under the rug, now that he is clean, they can't exactly blow the whistle on him without blowing it on themselves. Man, I watch too much CSI; have got to stop.
    You don't think it was actually pain killers he was addicted to? Really?

I thought while watchinng him speak on FOX the other night that he was acting a bit like he was on pain killers again. Kind of a mellow flip-flopping love-fest with the media.

-EJ

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    You don't think it was actually pain killers he was addicted to? Really?

I thought while watchinng him speak on FOX the other night that he was acting a bit like he was on pain killers again. Kind of a mellow flip-flopping love-fest with the media.

-EJ
    Nope, roids. He does have a huge head, right. I mean, he'd give Barry a run in hat size. Come on, the good ole country boy routine, anybody buying that. The guy was juiced. No other way to explain the turn around. That's why the Packers don't want him back. They escaped once, don't want to reopen the door. If he takes again, there's the risk of testing and being found out. If he don't, he has a year like 2006-07, instead of 2007-08, and even the heads start asking questions, well no, that's too much to ask for.

So, was TO right or was he right. Brett would have been better than McNabb, yet everybody threw him under the bus because he answered a question honestly. No way after last year anybody questions that answer. The heads of all forgotten how much they vilified TO for that answer. I think that they should apologize.

However, I'm bettin none of them realizes the disconnect between the position that they took in burying TO to have had the terminerity to have gotten it right, and the fact that Bret actually proved him right. They're spending too much time trying to explain why the Packers don't want Bret back after the season he had. Roids, boys, the guy was on the juice.

Now, that "story" has about as much meat on it than their having pillaged TO. Yet, not one of them, the talking heads that is, will even suggest possible steroid use by Bret. Why the double standard? Hi How Silver away.

Nope, roids. He does have a huge head, right. I mean, he'd give Barry a run in hat size. Come on, the good ole country boy routine, anybody buying that. The guy was juiced. No other way to explain the turn around. That's why the Packers don't want him back. They escaped once, don't want to reopen the door. If he takes again, there's the risk of testing and being found out. If he don't, he has a year like 2006-07, instead of 2007-08, and even the heads start asking questions, well no, that's too much to ask for.

So, was TO right or was he right. Brett would have been better than McNabb, yet everybody threw him under the bus because he answered a question honestly. No way after last year anybody questions that answer. The heads of all forgotten how much they vilified TO for that answer. I think that they should apologize.

However, I'm bettin none of them realizes the disconnect between the position that they took in burying TO to have had the terminerity to have gotten it right, and the fact that Bret actually proved him right. They're spending too much time trying to explain why the Packers don't want Bret back after the season he had. Roids, boys, the guy was on the juice.

Now, that "story" has about as much meat on it than their having pillaged TO. Yet, not one of them, the talking heads that is, will even suggest possible steroid use by Bret. Why the double standard? Hi How Silver away.
    I'm no farve fan, but this probably requires some proof.

Quote Originally Posted by UVaAmbassador View Post
    I'm no farve fan, but this probably requires some proof.
    Agreed. I find Greybeard's theory very interesting and I certainly wouldn't doubt it if it came to be true (Favre did have an unusually amazing turn-around), but I believe he was addicted to pain killers. He has the surgeries and history to back it up.

And believe me, those things are INCREDIBLY addictive. And I have to think an NFL superstar would have unlimited access to them through "prescription."

-EJ

I just wish Favre would give it up, and realize there are consequences to his decisions and quit acting like the galaxy revolves around him. By 2020, he will have retired and un-retired about 12 times. It's really old, and I'm tired of it. This is tarnishing his legacy.

If you've read what I've written about roids in the past, you know that I think that they should be legal, especially in pro sports where they are used anyway and abhor witch hunts. That said, how come nobody looked into Farv, or said that he should be looked into, when he had the amazing turnaround. If that happens in baseball again, you can bet your whatever that the guy would be tested.

So, this situation to me screamed for testing, if one is an advocate of it, yet no one mentioned that as something that someone might maybe want to do to check out if Farv was legit. How come, is what I want to know? Not really, but I find his apparent desire to return now, and the Packer's response, more than a tad unseemly.

I say that, if the guy wants to play, he should, if somebody wants him, except if the team that owns him, won't let that happen. Football, and all the harm it does, is a testament to something, but it ain't sport.

If you've read what I've written about roids in the past, you know that I think that they should be legal, especially in pro sports where they are used anyway and abhor witch hunts. That said, how come nobody looked into Farv, or said that he should be looked into, when he had the amazing turnaround. If that happens in baseball again, you can bet your whatever that the guy would be tested.

So, this situation to me screamed for testing, if one is an advocate of it, yet no one mentioned that as something that someone might maybe want to do to check out if Farv was legit. How come, is what I want to know? Not really, but I find his apparent desire to return now, and the Packer's response, more than a tad unseemly.

I say that, if the guy wants to play, he should, if somebody wants him, except if the team that owns him, won't let that happen. Football, and all the harm it does, is a testament to something, but it ain't sport.

I don't follow the Packers particularly closely, so correct me if I'm wrong, but my perception is that Farve's turnaround last season was due to the coaching staff forcing him to play a more disciplined game. While a "gunslinger" quality is desirable in a QB, rolling out of the pocket and making it up as you go along shouldn't be the first option. Farve was gunslinging first, quarterbacking second. They adjusted the offense to make Farve more of a game manager. His completion % went up 10 points because they were pushing him to focus on sticking to the script more, and ad libbing only when necessary. I don't think it was a dramatic physical ability change (he didn't become a rushing QB for example).

I think at the QB position, a dramatic turnaround is more common and less suspicious than in baseball or even in other football positions because so much of the game at that position is mental. Maybe I'm naive, but I don't rush to suspect Farve of roids.

How do you know Favre wasn't tested? The NFL tests 10 players, selected at random, from each team, every week. While it's possible that he wasn't tested, odds are he was.

Spoiler Spoiler Spoiler

ESPYS SPOILER!!! Warning, the following posts contains a mild spoiler for the ESPYS (airing on Sunday at 9:00 PM ET).

SPOILER BELOW

I warned you
    Quotes (roughly accurate) from Brett Favre tonight at the ESPYS:
    "Seeing that makes me wanna play again"
    "We'll see what happens"

It sure seems like the guy wants to play. I'm torn. I love watching the 'gunslinger' Brett, but I admit I was also getting attached to the idea of seeing him in another Super Bowl. I disappointed in the NFC Championship game but eventually glad because the I think the right coaches and team faced up against the Pats.

Anywho, I think Brett should hang up the helmet, which makes me very sad. But it sure does seem like the guy wants to play.

Quote Originally Posted by rockymtn devil View Post
    How do you know Favre wasn't tested? The NFL tests 10 players, selected at random, from each team, every week. While it's possible that he wasn't tested, odds are he was.
    I don't, but then so too don't the talking heads, or at least they are not talking. Why wouldn't Farve or any other greybeard not be using, at least HGH. Is there a reason that baseball has suddenly gotten younger, and home runs less prevalent.

As soon as football gets in the spot light, I mean really in the spot light, you will see some of these smashing hits stop; you will see some of these guys laying flat out to receive, tackle, intercept stop. You perhaps will see some of the injuries go down.

Of course, and it is of course, you will see some of the old war horses, the Bret Farves, be out of the game much sooner, and therefore the league will have to market differently.

By the way, Farve talks about coming back and we see them start bashing Roger again. You don't think, . . . .

grey "I have been watching too much television but not that ridiculous spectacle that they call football" beard

I'm really not sure what he is up to. This comment threw me...

Favre's agent, Bus Cook, told ESPN on Wednesday that he and Favre have "no definite plans to ask for reinstatement" and it was up to the Packers to decide what to do next.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/story/1144260.html
    If I understand this correctly the ball is in his court. Nothing can be done until he is granted reinstatement and that won't happen until he askes for it.

Bluedawg, the way the talking heads I listened to described it, the reasoning on both sides goes like this:

Management does not want Farve back and does not want him to go to another team, so says he is welcome back, but only as a back-up, tag you are it. The hope here is that Farve does not apply for reinstatement because if he does, he has to report to camp or be fined, and they know that he does not want or need to come to camp, certainly not as a back-up.

Farve's camp responds, "Fine, we can play that game too." Farve avoids having to come to camp pending his decision about whether to come back or not even though he clearly intends and wants to play. He takes the pressure off himself and leaves the Packers with the specter of having to pay him big bucks to sit on the bench, which neither he nor they really want, but if he calls their bluff, they will end up having to pay or say no to Packertown's hero, which will not play well for the locals.

Seems like there will be a trade made, and Farve will give it a run with someone else. That's what the jockying seems to be about. I do not look for much out of Farve this season; these kind of late, late career moves never work out. I can remember a few late career moves working, the former Standford guy to Oakland, YA Tittle to NY, Williams to the Skins, but late, lates like Johnny U, Nameth, Montana, nope. I'd like to see Farve hang em up.