View Poll Results: Who will win (and by what score)

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nadal in 3

0 0%
  • Nadal in 4

2 8.33%
  • Nadal in 5

7 29.17%
  • Federer in 3

1 4.17%
  • Federer in 4

9 37.50%
  • Federer in 5

5 20.83%
  • Other

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wimbledon Finals

Who will win, Rafa, or Roger?

Quote Originally Posted by 91.92.01DUKE View Post
    Who will win, Rafa, or Roger?
    Federer was humiliated in Paris by Nadal. And even though Nadal meant well, I bet what stung Federer the most is when Nadal apologized to Federer for beating him so badly.

No WAY Federer loses after all that. He wants to eat Nadal for lunch.

Rafa will give him a fight, but Federer will prevail.

Federer wins 6-4, 4-6, 7-5, 6-3.

-EarlJam (who is working his way towards the goal of being the oldest Grand Slam tennis winner in history)

Well, so far it's a 5-vote unanimous decision that Roger wins in 4.

Rafa almost lost the 2nd set against Schuettler.

It is official we will have a Rafa-Fed final.

Maybe someone who follows the sport more closely can correct me, but I'm thinking that, if Fed and Rafa are on their games we might see some of the best tennis ever played in this final.

It's amazing to me how Fed has bounced back from getting destroyed on clay just short weeks ago, but he looks to be playing as well as I've seen him. Maybe abandoning his experiment with having a coach for the clay season and trusting his own genius has gotten him straightened out. Maybe he's finally completely recovered from mono. He looks to be in great shape, in his lithe sort of way.

Nadal is just a force of nature. I don't think I've ever seen an athlete with that combination of power and endurance. He just keeps coming at you like a jackhammer.

Again, please correct me, but I don't remember the greats of the past having quite as much in the way of shot-making ability and physical tools as these two. I think they are playing the best tennis I have ever seen.

It takes two to tango

Quote Originally Posted by dkbaseball View Post
    Maybe someone who follows the sport more closely can correct me, but I'm thinking that, if Fed and Rafa are on their games we might see some of the best tennis ever played in this final.

It's amazing to me how Fed has bounced back from getting destroyed on clay just short weeks ago, but he looks to be playing as well as I've seen him. Maybe abandoning his experiment with having a coach for the clay season and trusting his own genius has gotten him straightened out. Maybe he's finally completely recovered from mono. He looks to be in great shape, in his lithe sort of way.

Nadal is just a force of nature. I don't think I've ever seen an athlete with that combination of power and endurance. He just keeps coming at you like a jackhammer.

Again, please correct me, but I don't remember the greats of the past having quite as much in the way of shot-making ability and physical tools as these two. I think they are playing the best tennis I have ever seen.
    They have no competition. The men's game is very weak, unlike the Sampras era when it was as strong as it has ever been.

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    Federer was humiliated in Paris by Nadal. And even though Nadal meant well, I bet what stung Federer the most is when Nadal apologized to Federer for beating him so badly.

No WAY Federer loses after all that. He wants to eat Nadal for lunch.

Rafa will give him a fight, but Federer will prevail.

Federer wins 6-4, 4-6, 7-5, 6-3.

-EarlJam (who is working his way towards the goal of being the oldest Grand Slam tennis winner in history)
    Way to call it EJ! (Dont feel bad, I had Federer in 4 too.)

What. a. tiebreak.

I agree. They're just now beginning the 5th set after Federer won the previous 2 on tiebreaks. Just some incredible power tennis on display. What an entertaining performance.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Wow, rain delay and 100% square tied up, even the game score. Who has the advantage coming back? That has to be frustrating to be in it like that and get forced off the court.

Nadal, Sr. was hilarious.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    150% awesome match!

And amazing amount of grace Federer had in losing, and Nadal in winning. Nice complements from both, you can see the respect.

Outstanding match from the both of them. I think we're seeing one of the great tennis rivalries between Nadal and Federer right now. We'll probably see them again at the U.S. Open.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Seems your thinking was correct. Might be the best match I've ever seen...absolutely phenomenal. Federer and Nadal are clearly 2 of the greatest ever.

That final set, especially the final half dozen games, were played at a ridiculously high level. The shotmaking and clutch performances -- wow!!

That
    was
    a
    treat!!

--Jason " speechless " Evans

Great match! This is why tennis is my fav pro sport to watch!

So is Nadal the new world's #1? That's two slams in a row. Federer looked pretty pissed. Nadal is younger, quicker, and is starting to get REALLY good in all aspects of his game. Dare I say it, he's becoming "Federesque."

Quote Originally Posted by pamtar View Post
    Great match! This is why tennis is my fav pro sport to watch!

So is Nadal the new world's #1? That's two slams in a row."
    McEnroe was asked that question by his announcing partner and he answered in the affirmative.

Nadal is younger, quicker, and is starting to get REALLY good in all aspects of his game.
    And yet he still has areas in which he can improve, which is scary. His first "serve and volley" didn't take place until the final set. Not sure why. Also, he had far fewer Aces than Federer, although with his arm strength I suspect that will change in time. Nadal is entering his prime at the age of 22, Federer I believe, is almost 27.

Both were making incredibly tough shots well behind the baseline for winners, not just saves. They were pretty evenly matched, imo. Neither seemed to tire during the marathon.

Did everyone get to see McEnroe gush during interviews with both players, thanking them for allowing him to witness the greatest match he had ever seen? I remember the great Borg/McEnroe matches, especially from '80 when Borg won the French and Wimbledon back-to-back. I don't know, I could be wrong, but my perception is that Nadal and Federer took tennis to a whole new level. It should be fun to watch this rivalry unfold, assuming Federer has a few strong years left in the tank.

Thumbs up Wow!!!

Wow. Wow. Wow! Perhaps the greatest match ever. (And I'm old enough to have seen quite a few). Two players at the top of their game, battling it out for almost 5 hours. Could have gone either way. Amazing hours of tennis.

Shame on McEnroe and NBC

Unless I missed something during the rain delays, all they talked about was this vast void from 1980 until today. Ever since Bjorn Borg, no one had achieved this so-called "double" of winning both the French Open and Wimbledon in the same year.

Problem is, it's happened SIX times between then and now. Click the link in my signature to learn more about what NBC so clearly missed.

And by the way, it was a very good match, worth getting up at 6am on a Sunday here on the West Coast.