Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nolan Smith ?

Nolan Smith ?

Now that his season is over, Does anyone have a link to his season stats?

I know it doesnt matter much, but I believe he will go up in the rankings(scout.com and rivals.com). From what i have heard/read he has been Oak Hill's best player. I dont believe he gets the respect because of Jennings, Vaughn and Legion.

Also, If you know. King and Singler Stats?

Partly Orlando, FL partly heard Sandpoint, ID
    The McDonalds All America page http://www.mcdonaldsallamerican.com/ has the basic averages for each player:
    Smith 22.1 PPG, 4.6 RPG, 4.1 APG, 3.2 SPG
    King 27.6 PPG, 11.7 RPG, 2.0 BPG
    Singler 29.7 PPG, 8.8 RPG, 3.0 APG, 2.0 SPG

Since Smith is the only Oak Hill McD's I can't compare him to his teammates stat wise. If you want to try to assemble the data, all the Oak Hill box scores can be found at http://www.oak-hill.net/athletics/gold/gold_updates.htm

Wow- amazing stats

I'm not really a stats guy (except when it comes to baseball), but those are some really big numbers for our kids in a 32 minute game! On Smith being the only McD All-American from his team, the other top-teir talent in the backcourt, Brandon Jennings, is a Junior and will be going to USC next year. He'll be a McDAA next year. Oak Hill always has one McDAA ever year (Tywon Lawson in '06). Amazing.

I also didn't realize how well-rounded Smith's game was, though I've watched him play a couple of times. That's a lot of rebounds, assists, and steals. He almost seems to be an afterthought on the court at times for his high school team, and I think that he will blend in very well for us. Is it right to get this excited about next year when it's still February?

Time flies like an arrow
    Fruit flies like a banana

I saw on YouTube the highlights of Oak Hill vs. Singler's school...We are getting 2 very talented young men. I had saw a clip before of Singler and was only moderately impressed. After that clip, I see why they make comparisons to Dirk and Bird, Singler can flat out do it and someone MUST, I repeat MUST take a seat. Nolan can do it all including put it on the floor and attack, something we are desparately missing. He can even play the point. The future is very bright and we could be very good in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Deslok View Post
    The McDonalds All America page http://www.mcdonaldsallamerican.com/ has the basic averages for each player:
    Smith 22.1 PPG, 4.6 RPG, 4.1 APG, 3.2 SPG
    King 27.6 PPG, 11.7 RPG, 2.0 BPG
    Singler 29.7 PPG, 8.8 RPG, 3.0 APG, 2.0 SPG

Since Smith is the only Oak Hill McD's I can't compare him to his teammates stat wise. If you want to try to assemble the data, all the Oak Hill box scores can be found at http://www.oak-hill.net/athletics/gold/gold_updates.htm
    I think that I saw something about Jennings averaging a ridiculous 11 or so assists a game during one of the high school games I watched on ESPN. I also think that his totals would be higher if his teammates could catch some of the passes he whips across the court. I know that he said he'd go to USC, but I've heard that it may not happen. I hope not, I like USC being weak.

Question Nolan Smith

ok,

what's the word on nolan smith outside of what we see on bob gibbons' rankings or the espn rankings?

espn, for example, says he is very competitive and can play either of the two guard positions, and the general view here on DBR is that he's a very good defender, a shooter with speed, but NOT A viable candidate to take over the starting point guard spot (and i'm putting many threads together over an extended period of time to bring up that synopsis of Smith....).

based on what i'm reading from espn, at least, he's got the goods to take over that spot for Duke next year. and, I feel that Paulus could serve us so very well as an established shooting guard; I was very impressed with his shooting as the year progressed.

what's your opinion on Smith at PG for our team?

dth.

Quote Originally Posted by dukestheheat View Post
    ok,

what's the word on nolan smith outside of what we see on bob gibbons' rankings or the espn rankings?

espn, for example, says he is very competitive and can play either of the two guard positions, and the general view here on DBR is that he's a very good defender, a shooter with speed, but NOT A viable candidate to take over the starting point guard spot (and i'm putting many threads together over an extended period of time to bring up that synopsis of Smith....).

based on what i'm reading from espn, at least, he's got the goods to take over that spot for Duke next year. and, I feel that Paulus could serve us so very well as an established shooting guard; I was very impressed with his shooting as the year progressed.

what's your opinion on Smith at PG for our team?

dth.
    Not going to happen.

Is Nolan Smith what you get when you crossbreed Nolan Richardson with Dean Smith?

I'm curious about this too. Would it be accurate to say that Nolan Smith is more Daniel Ewing than William Avery? Meaning an undersized 2 that can score and occasionally handle the ball vs. a shoot first point guard who can get to the hole and be a primary ball handler?

Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post
    I'm curious about this too. Would it be accurate to say that Nolan Smith is more Daniel Ewing than William Avery? Meaning an undersized 2 that can score and occasionally handle the ball vs. a shoot first point guard who can get to the hole and be a primary ball handler?
    It's really tough to tell watching him play, as I've only seen the HS games which ESPN has shown. The problem with those is that he has one of the best PGs in the country (Jennings) on his team, so he doesn't handle the ball that much. From what I saw, he is a good slasher and has a fairly good 3 point shot, and I didn't see anything which contradicts the statements that he can handle the ball. However, I don't see Paulus being moved away from the PG spot.

clipsfan,

well, as far as him taking over the PG spot....IF Smith can play the defense like espn claims that he can (and slash and hit the shot as you say), he's going to be mighty attractive when we're trying to slow down a certain Mr. Lawson from the lesser shade of blue, or anyone else for that matter.

dth.

I saw him when he came to Cameron this year. He plays with Jennings, the number 1 point guard in the junior class, but he still handled the ball at the top of the key many times throughout the game (especially late). I distinctly remember him running through the Mater Dei (including Taylor King) defense in an attempt to run out the clock. He has excellent ball-handling skills, in my opinion. Someone said he played some PG his junior year? He's much faster, more nimble, and athletic than Scheyer (when he played this year). However, I don't expect him to start over Paulus at any point. He will be a very worthy back-up and will challenge Paulus in practice to raise his game/keep his starting role.
    Last edited by FireOgilvie; 03-26-2007 at 07:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post
    From what I have seen of Nolan, I think the Daniel Ewing comparison is spot-on. Nolan is a good shooter, can defend multiple perimeter spots, and is very quick. But he probably won't be a full-time PG right away at Duke, though he will be able to spell Paulus there (but I wouldn't count out Scheyer as the backup PG next year). Nolan projects to be a PG at the professional level, and Daniel Ewing's role with the Clippers is similar to what Nolan's might be eventually.

Nolan might be a little bit better as a slasher and finisher than Daniel. But he doesn't have the same pull-up game as Daniel. He also appears to be a little taller, longer, and stronger than Daniel was as a HS senior/college freshman. Regardless, Nolan will be a great addition to the team.

The aspect of Nolan Smith that makes me the most excited is that he is an excellent leader and captain on a team of all-stars. This is something that Duke can use next year/in the future. Oak Hill is absolutely loaded with talent. I seem to remember hearing that Smith was a captain both his junior and senior years.

My Guess

I have not seen Smith play.

However he should be very helpful, especially on defense.

Paulus will be the starting point guard but Smith will see plenty of action.

SoCal

Wink

I had a friend who is a big North Carolina fan who saw him play in some kind of tournament, and he said by the time smith is done we wont be talking about JJ anymore. This person is a smart basketball fan, I think that Smith could turn out to be our best freshman next year.
    Last edited by DBFAN; 03-26-2007 at 07:50 PM.

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    Is Nolan Smith what you get when you crossbreed Nolan Richardson with Dean Smith?
    No, that combo would result in Forty Minutes of Nose Hair.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

I have see a few videos on nolan and i liked what i saw! i dont think he will take greg"s place but i do think with his skill he should and must get alot of mins this year! he can provide an instant spark of offense, with slashing and a good pull up jumper! i cant wait till next season

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by JBDuke View Post
    No, that combo would result in Forty Minutes of Nose Hair.

I was thinking about starting a new thread but my question/comment fits pretty well here.

There has been a fair amount of talk recently about Paulus' lack of driving and pentrating ability. My concern was more with his passing. When I watched him in the McD game and during his freshman year I thought that he could end up as the best passer Duke's had since Hurley. He lead the league in assists as a freshman and had a that one 15 assist game. I felt like he might come close to the 1000 assist career mark.

But this year his passes were tentative and often telegraphed. I don't know if his foot injury affected his confidence or if his lack of familiarity with the young team made him hesitent but he clearly was not the same playmaker as last year. I wonder if with some film study and summer ball with the team he might be able to get his assist numbers at or above his freshman numbers and cut down on his turnovers. Maybe then people will seem him as the dynamic point gaurd he was predicted to be coming out of high school.

What do you think?