Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Swag Level of This Year's Team

We shall see, but this has the feel of a pretty "confident" bunch.

Grayson is Grayson - probably more physically intimidating than trash-talking. And he'll probably be intentionally reserved and avoid confrontations.

Judging from highlight videos, Bagley will do a little talking. Maybe more than a little, if things get heated.

Gary Trent has the feel of a "never back down" kind of guy, possibly in the mold of Winslow and Nate. He looks like the enforcer of the squad.

Carter is a mystery, from what little I've seen. He seems more reserved than the others.

But the guy who has me totally psyched - and the guy I'm MOST excited about getting - is Duval. This guy is a dynamic, flamboyant, swag MONSTER.

What am I hoping for this year, w/r/t how Duke treats its opponents?

In the immortal words of Mr. T - PAIN!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by slower View Post
    We shall see, but this has the feel of a pretty "confident" bunch.

Grayson is Grayson - probably more physically intimidating than trash-talking. And he'll probably be intentionally reserved and avoid confrontations.

Judging from highlight videos, Bagley will do a little talking. Maybe more than a little, if things get heated.

Gary Trent has the feel of a "never back down" kind of guy, possibly in the mold of Winslow and Nate. He looks like the enforcer of the squad.

Carter is a mystery, from what little I've seen. He seems more reserved than the others.

But the guy who has me totally psyched - and the guy I'm MOST excited about getting - is Duval. This guy is a dynamic, flamboyant, swag MONSTER.

What am I hoping for this year, w/r/t how Duke treats its opponents?

In the immortal words of Mr. T - PAIN!!!!!!!!!!
    Agreed that I’d love to see some more attitude and swagger from our guys as long as we don’t cross the line into dirty play.

Who goes in the Duke Swag Hall of Fame? You have to think Justise and Banks are unanimous first-ballots, no?

Quote Originally Posted by Native View Post
    Agreed that I’d love to see some more attitude and swagger from our guys as long as we don’t cross the line into dirty play.

Who goes in the Duke Swag Hall of Fame? You have to think Justise and Banks are unanimous first-ballots, no?
    I'd nominate Quinn Cook and Dahntay Jones.

Laettner leads the team.

Dahntay and Christian. Everyone else gets in line behind them.

JJ would be third.

#1 = Art Heyman.

Quote Originally Posted by Native View Post
    Yes, absolutely.

I don't want to see any dirty play or punk behavior. But I also don't want to see our guys back down - ever.

Give me Singler's warrior mentality.

Was never a fan of Dahntay - he was kind of a punk.

Swag is no substitute for quiet confidence and focus. Go watch the Miracle Minute over again and take a look into those faces. Not an ounce of swagger there, just confident concentration. Unfortunately that comes with maturity though, so we don't see it much these days.
    Love, Ima

Additional swag, MOFO, enforcers:

Kenny Dennard
    Danny Meagher

Quote Originally Posted by Ima Facultiwyfe View Post
    Swag is no substitute for quiet confidence and focus. Go watch the Miracle Minute over again and take a look into those faces. Not an ounce of swagger there, just confident concentration. Unfortunately that comes with maturity though, so we don't see it much these days.
    Love, Ima
    True. Those were definitely different times.

I guess the best way to put it is that I'm looking for reactive swag, not proactive. Hopefully, it's something you never have to use. But it's there if you need it. There's a line that you shouldn't let others cross with you.

There was a stretch there for a few years when teams would absolutely try to manhandle us and get into our heads. I don't want us to be the guys who start the fight - but I want us to be able to finish it, if that's what it comes down to.

Nate James

I guess everyone left off Nate because he is the definition by which all others are judged.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Laettner leads the team.
    Seconded, and I'm not sure there is a close second, at least in the K era. Maybe JJ or Stones would be next.
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    #1 = Art Heyman.
    Quote Originally Posted by mr. synellinden View Post
    Seconded, and I'm not sure there is a close second, at least in the K era. Maybe JJ or Stones would be next.
    Having nominated Laettner, I gotta agree that Art was the original gangsta. I have in my memory that he punched UNC Coach Frank McGuire in the nads during the infamous '61 game (although that cannot really be right):

https://youtu.be/I0RroAH4vwU

Art is the one who gets fouled by Larry Brown, then swings on him. (The freshmen game before the main one had so many fights, UNC finished the game with only three players on the court). Art was the subject of thuggery for years by UNC once he decommitted and changed to Duke. He needed stitches after an incident in his freshman game.

So I would suggest co-captains.

Dan Meagher may be more all-thug team, though to be fair Tom Sheehey was the ultimate punk and got what he deserved.
    Last edited by OldPhiKap; 08-26-2017 at 05:31 PM.

Having nominated Laettner, I gotta agree that Art was the original gangsta. I have in my memory that he punched UNC Coach Frank McGuire in the nads during the infamous '61 game (although that cannot really be right):

Art is the one who gets fouled by Larry Brown, then swings on him. (The freshmen game before the main one had so many fights, UNC finished the game with only three players on the court). Art was the subject of thuggery for years by UNC once he decommitted and changed to Duke. He needed stitches after an incident in his freshman game.

Dan Meagher may be more all-thug team, though to be fair Tom Sheehey was the ultimate punk and got what he deserved.
    Nah. John Roche was the ultimate punk. John Ribock was the ultimate thug.

Corey Maggette

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    You make good points.

But Sheehey, Makhtar N'Diaye and Deron Washington need to be on a list too.

Our guys are very different from their thugs. Their guys don't deserve mention.

On our team, in regards to tough, intimidating, frustrating guys, I love Laettner, Jones, Brand, Wojo, Battier. Who brought anxiety to the visiting locker room. I dunno...

Quote Originally Posted by Atldukie79 View Post
    Additional swag, MOFO, enforcers:

Kenny Dennard
    Danny Meagher
    People forget the physical play and "bring it" attitude Dan Meagher brought every game he played in. I just wish he'd been eligible for one more season. I have my doubts Pervis Ellison would have scored as easily at the end of the 86 championship game with him on the court. (That game still makes me sick to think about...)

I was at the game in February 1961..

The players' benches were at the end of the courts, not on the sidelines. In the last minute of the game, Larry Brown drove through the lane in front of the Carolina bench. Art Heyman grabbed him in a bear hug. Brown responded by through a roundhouse right at Art. And then the melee ensued. Don't ask me as an eyewitness to say what happened, 'cuz it was total confusion.

A film clip of the beginning is available, but the key part is missing (probably sent to the league office as evidence). I believe it is true that Art punched Frank McGuire in the groin.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    You must spread some Comments around before commenting on jimsumner again.

And yes, yes, yes - It is impossible to describe just how thuggish those South Carolina teams were to someone who wasn't there to see it.

Roche was probably the most despised player ever in the ACC - and he reveled in it.
    Ribock was the ultimate enforcer. (i.e. thug)

Hopefully this link works - to an SI story on Roche
    https://www.si.com/vault/1971/01/04/...anybodys-block