PDA

View Full Version : Another Olek Czyz Video - RBK U Highlights

altitech
06-15-2008, 01:41 AM
Here we go again... Is it my imagination or does he have some balance between left and right handed jams?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DUdYfgWxjc

Bluedog
06-15-2008, 02:10 AM
I know high school highlight videos don't really mean anything, but wow! That (as well as the two other youtube videos of Olek) is fun to watch. Seems like he thinks everything should be a dunk. I especially like the through the legs to the windmill move. Hopefully, he can shoot (or learn to shoot) as well as he can jump and dunk. And play some D. Then he'll be a LOT of fun to watch.

DukeBlood
06-15-2008, 02:53 AM
The video just proved he can dunk. Wasn't anymore then a dunk show. Still impressive none the less.

Is it me, or did his vertical jump look less then 40 inches? I think someone thats 6'8 with a 40 inch vertical should be easily able to put his hand above the top of the white box on the backboard.

He qot up really quick, just wasn't as high as I was expecting. There's people like Nate Robinson who has a 43" vertical and gets his hand near the upper end of that box. Nate's listed at like 5'9 but I honestly doubt that. Im around 5'9 and I stood a couple of inches taller then him. Although he could of grown since moving to the NBA....

Wikipedia lists Nate as 5'7 with a 43" veritical so I did get those right. Also looked up Olek and they have him listed at 6'7

Does anyone have a exact measurement of Olek's vert? Maybe he just wasnt going all out for height....

DevilDan
06-15-2008, 03:13 AM
The last Duke recruit I saw in a "dunking" highlight video was Josh McRoberts. As a third option, McRoberts was OK. Once he was asked to step up to the plate, it was a different story. Still, we have to wonder what last last year "could" have been, with him around to least board and block shots ...

Anyway, I've got high hopes for Olek. I hope he and Plumlee can earn minutes, and help us develop a frontcourt to go along with the rest of the team.

roywhite
06-15-2008, 08:14 AM
Here we go again... Is it my imagination or does he have some balance between left and right handed jams?

Thanks, altitech. In addition to being impressive, that use of the left and right hand near the basket is productive.

Indoor66
06-15-2008, 09:05 AM
Thanks, altitech. In addition to being impressive, that use of the left and right hand near the basket is productive.

If any Duke player can average one (1) dunk per game, I will be impressed. Can he make a layup?

bhd28
06-15-2008, 10:23 AM
Only 1 guy listed at 6'7" or more had a 40 inch vert at the pre-draft camp. Only 2 guys over 6'4" did. I wouldn't necessarily expect Olek to have one, despite reports. It isn't very common. His hops look like they are enough... especially when he gets Duke conditioning under his belt and ends up dropping about 5-10lbs in the process.

DevilDan
06-15-2008, 11:25 AM
OK, I couldn't help myself, I looked at the video AGAIN. So this is the thought ... we had nobody with size and strength who could take it to the rim last year. So OLEK could bring this new dynamic to a team that already has much to put on the floor. IF he earns minutes in the rotation in Coach K's eyes, I hope to see him out there in Nov-Dec ... where he could carve a niche for himself, and help us in ACC play and beyond.

Adding his aggressive style, quickness, and power to our game would be an asset. If he can "bring it" at this higher level, our offense adds a weapon that was missing last season. I haven't lost my faith in Lance & Brian, but I am really glad we got OLEK. Go DUKE !

91.92.01DUKE
06-15-2008, 11:54 AM
With the three point line farther away from the hoop we could have him run a cut into the post for an alley or perhaps a kick back out based on his post abilities. He seems a capable passer so he could improve our spacing.

altitech
06-15-2008, 12:24 PM

Also an interesting note is the Olek writes left handed but shoots dominantly right. I wonder if the coaches can use this to develop him into a true two handed player. That would be freaky.

juise
06-15-2008, 01:08 PM
Also an interesting note is the Olek writes left handed but shoots dominantly right. I wonder if the coaches can use this to develop him into a true two handed player. That would be freaky.

Amphibious, even. :)

ForeverBlowingBubbles
06-15-2008, 03:45 PM
The video just proved he can dunk. Wasn't anymore then a dunk show. Still impressive none the less.

Is it me, or did his vertical jump look less then 40 inches? I think someone thats 6'8 with a 40 inch vertical should be easily able to put his hand above the top of the white box on the backboard.

He qot up really quick, just wasn't as high as I was expecting. There's people like Nate Robinson who has a 43" vertical and gets his hand near the upper end of that box. Nate's listed at like 5'9 but I honestly doubt that. Im around 5'9 and I stood a couple of inches taller then him. Although he could of grown since moving to the NBA....

Wikipedia lists Nate as 5'7 with a 43" veritical so I did get those right. Also looked up Olek and they have him listed at 6'7

Does anyone have a exact measurement of Olek's vert? Maybe he just wasnt going all out for height....

Im guessing Olek is more lilke 6'5, 6'6 without shoes.

CameronCrazy'11
06-15-2008, 05:02 PM
There was the one 3-pointer he made so that gives me hope that he will be able to shoot somewhat well. You can't really blame him for making so many dunks. Most players will take the dunk when they can get it, but it'll be much harder in the ACC. I think he'll probably get most of the minutes at the 4 when Kyle takes a break. I can definitely see him posting up one powerful dunk each game that really gets the crowd going and has the potential to be a momentum-builder.

bbar7502
06-15-2008, 06:06 PM
maybe he can teach Z how to go hard and dunk:D

altitech
06-15-2008, 08:33 PM
Judging by some of the comments, sounds like a few might not have seen his other videos on youtube. Just in case...

RBK U (this post)- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DUdYfgWxjc

Action - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2TXxeVy9h4

State Title '08 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eGN7CgMsOI

CALVET
06-15-2008, 10:35 PM

When I look close at some of the dunks in the videos listed, Olek's head looks right at rim level at the peak of the jump (most cases well prior to reaching the rim if clutching). A 6'8" head with a 40" max vertical equals 10' exactly.

Oriole Way
06-15-2008, 11:25 PM
I really hope we start seeing some "CZYZ IN YOUR FACE!" signs in Cameron next season.