PDA

View Full Version : McDonalds = thieves

hc5duke
06-06-2008, 03:41 AM
Their new "Southern-Style Chicken Sandwich" is pretty much a replica (or stolen recipe) of Chick-fil-A's sandwich. Not that I'm complaining since the nearest CfA location is like 50 miles away... Anyone else tried this new sandwich? Sad to say we might be going to McD more often, after not going there (at all) for about 5 years. Their burgers are still disgusting.

dukemomLA
06-06-2008, 05:00 AM
Living in L.A., the closest Chick is out the 10 Freeway on the way to San Bernardino. (My daughter and son-in-law, both Duke grads, stop there with delight whenever heading to the camp at which they counsel each year).

HOWEVER, my daughter has ordered the McDonald's sandwich numerous times since it was introduced -- smiling with glee, that it comes close to the Chick. High praise. So...I guess what I'm saying, is that if your community / state, etc. doesn't have a Chick nearby -- the new McD's chicken sandwich is worth a bite.

YmoBeThere
06-06-2008, 06:02 AM
Haven't tried it yet, but when they described as just the chicken and the a couple of pickles I figured they were trying to get at fil-A. Which is fine with me, Chick-fil-A makes some darn good chicken, but the whole not open on Sunday thing bothers me.

Plus, the whole waffle fries thing escapes me...

DevilWolf
06-06-2008, 07:54 AM
I've always wondered why someone didn't buy a ton of Chick-Fil-A sandwiches on Saturday, keep them warm, and then sell them on the side of the street on Sundays.

Everybody craves Chick-Fil-A on Sunday.

aimo
06-06-2008, 08:15 AM
KFC is bragging about their "new" idea for a simple chicken sandwich, just chicken on a bun with pickles. I haven't tried theirs, but McD's ain't even close to ChicFilA. Don't eat it often, but when I do, man, that's good eatin'.

killerleft
06-06-2008, 08:56 AM
I tried the new McD's chicken sandwich, and it does taste much like the Chick-Fil-A. But I was turned off by the meat itself. If that was breast filet, they must have beat it with a hammer for a while.

ugadevil
06-06-2008, 09:05 AM
Haven't tried it yet, but when they described as just the chicken and the a couple of pickles I figured they were trying to get at fil-A. Which is fine with me, Chick-fil-A makes some darn good chicken, but the whole not open on Sunday thing bothers me.

You do know why they aren't open on Sundays right? One of the owners, Dan Cathy, used to be one of my sunday school teachers in church.

Tommac
06-06-2008, 09:10 AM
I've tried the new McDonald southern style chicken sandwich and it is good but no Chick Fil a. The chicken and the crust have a different texture and taste. I have added Dukes mayo and tomato to make mine taste better. Chick Fil A is the only chicken sandwich that I can eat dry without adding any extras.

DukieInKansas
06-06-2008, 09:24 AM
You do know why they aren't open on Sundays right? One of the owners, Dan Cathy, used to be one of my sunday school teachers in church.

So they are closed on Sundays as he is still recovering? (JK)

Obviously, I don't go by the CfAs enough here to realize they are closed on Sunday. They aren't the only business that closes on Sundays - Hobby Lobby & Mardel are also closed. I'm fine with that - I just plan accordingly.

TillyGalore
06-06-2008, 09:32 AM
I had McD's southern chicken thing and it tasted like fish. They put a fish sandwich in my bag and I didn't realize it until I got home.

Not liking that all these places are imitating CFA, so I think I'll stick with CFA's chicken.

bjornolf
06-06-2008, 09:50 AM
sometimes I prefer McD's, sometimes CFA. McD's bun is different and the chicken lacks the sweet aftertaste of CFA. So, it depends on whether I feel like the sweet taste or not. ;) IOW, I DON'T think it's a total copy, but an attempt at getting some of CFA's popularity. Plus, I can buy them on Sundays! And there's only 1 CFA within 10 miles of my house, and it's PACKED at all hours. I can go to McD's with NO line 9/10 times.

ugadevil
06-06-2008, 09:54 AM
So they are closed on Sundays as he is still recovering? (JK)

You got it! Having a class of middle schoolers takes so much effort that you must shut down your business for the day :D

All this talk about how people don't have a CFA near them makes me appreciate where I live. I believe there are currently 4 CFA's within 10 miles of my apartment, with a 5th one opening next month!

2535Miles
06-06-2008, 12:02 PM
Living in L.A., the closest Chick is out the 10 Freeway on the way to San Bernardino. (My daughter and son-in-law, both Duke grads, stop there with delight whenever heading to the camp at which they counsel each year).

HOWEVER, my daughter has ordered the McDonald's sandwich numerous times since it was introduced -- smiling with glee, that it comes close to the Chick. High praise. So...I guess what I'm saying, is that if your community / state, etc. doesn't have a Chick nearby -- the new McD's chicken sandwich is worth a bite.
Not only is the closet Chick-Fil-A a drive, but the closet Bojangles is a few thousand miles away. It's a sad state of affairs when we have to drive so far to get "good" Southern-style cooking, or that we have to rely on McDonald's as a substitute.

DevilAlumna
06-06-2008, 12:15 PM
It's a sad state of affairs when we have to drive so far to get "good" Southern-style cooking,

Alas, the nearest of my favorite "Southern" joints, The Waffle House, is a 2.5 day drive from here. :(

I miss my scattered, smothered, covered and chunked hashbrowns.

Clipsfan
06-06-2008, 12:20 PM
Not only is the closet Chick-Fil-A a drive, but the closet Bojangles is a few thousand miles away. It's a sad state of affairs when we have to drive so far to get "good" Southern-style cooking, or that we have to rely on McDonald's as a substitute.

Yeah, I went to South Carolina a while back and hit up both Bojangles and Chikc-Fil-A for the first lunch out there. I didn't know that there were any CFA within CA, but apparently there are. I guess I may hit up the KFC and McD's which are right next to each other to compare their sandwiches. I doubt they're in the same league as CFA.

OZZIE4DUKE
06-06-2008, 01:09 PM
Yeah, I went to South Carolina a while back and hit up both Bojangles and Chikc-Fil-A for the first lunch out there. I didn't know that there were any CFA within CA, but apparently there are. I guess I may hit up the KFC and McD's which are right next to each other to compare their sandwiches. I doubt they're in the same league as CFA.

Our Chick-Fil-A is across the street from one of our 3 McDonald's. The Bojangles is next to another McDonald's and across the street on opposite corners of a traffic light from our KFC and one of our two Waffle Houses in town. Being along I-95 does have its benefits.

And oh yeah, the Smithfield's Chicken and BBQ is down the street from the CFA.

That said, the CFA original sandwich is far superior to the McD and KFC copies. Better flavor by far.

2535Miles
06-06-2008, 01:20 PM
Alas, the nearest of my favorite "Southern" joints, The Waffle House, is a 2.5 day drive from here. :(

I made it to San Diego from Charlotte in two days, surely we can make a road trip in less than to days. :)

There's a CFA in San Marcos (North County San Diego) but for some reason it does not appear on the Store Locator on their website.

I Love Bojangles.
http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1&pictureid=50

YmoBeThere
06-06-2008, 07:03 PM

Yes, I know...doesn't mean I agree. As the business owners they are entitled to decide what hours and days of the week they are open.

Ben63
06-07-2008, 09:50 AM
Not that it matters, the only sandwich anyone should ever eat is the Baconator from Wendy's.

aimo
06-09-2008, 01:14 PM
I used my coupon for a free Southern Style Chicken Sandwich at McD's just now. Got it all the way to work, took one bite, and SEVERELY UNDERCOOKED!!! As in still pink inside. Gross. And when I tried to call the franchise, no answer. So, I called the national number, and they're going to "Contact the owner to get in touch with the franchise to tell them to answer their phone." Yep, I'll be getting my $$ back very soon. Okay, so it was a coupon, but my lunch is still ruined today.

This has NEVER happened to me at Chic Fil A.

HaveFunExpectToWin
06-09-2008, 03:06 PM
I tried the McD's chicken biscuit and I have to say it doesn't hold a candle to the ChickFilA chicken biscuit at all. Normally, I'm all for competition, but it was not good. Yes, I did eat it all, hoping it would get better, but as someone else mentioned the aftertaste is not quite right.

I'll stick with ChickFilA now and forever.

Devil in the Blue Dress
06-09-2008, 03:16 PM
I used my coupon for a free Southern Style Chicken Sandwich at McD's just now. Got it all the way to work, took one bite, and SEVERELY UNDERCOOKED!!! As in still pink inside. Gross. And when I tried to call the franchise, no answer. So, I called the national number, and they're going to "Contact the owner to get in touch with the franchise to tell them to answer their phone." Yep, I'll be getting my $$ back very soon. Okay, so it was a coupon, but my lunch is still ruined today.

Having lived in Durham for many years, I can almost guess which McD's that is.

hc5duke
06-09-2008, 03:33 PM
I tried the McD's chicken biscuit and I have to say it doesn't hold a candle to the ChickFilA chicken biscuit at all. Normally, I'm all for competition, but it was not good. Yes, I did eat it all, hoping it would get better, but as someone else mentioned the aftertaste is not quite right.

Ok, just to clarify, I would prefer CfA to McD any day (except Sunday), but for those of us not fortunate enough to be near one, McD is a reasonable alternative. Now if they just add Bojangles chicken we'd be set. Ditto whoever said CfA waffle fries suck. Everyone should adopt Arby's curly fries, end of story.

TillyGalore
06-09-2008, 03:37 PM

Still a little new to Durham, so please share with McD you received your undercooked cix. Thanks!

ugadevil
06-09-2008, 03:54 PM

I've had many CFA biscuits in my day, and they are good. However, for chicken biscuits, I'd take Hardees and Bojangles over CFA any day of the week. Hardees is my favorite but their locations seem to be few and far between.

CLT Devil
06-09-2008, 05:27 PM
I guess McD's hasn't found out the Chick-Fil-A secret: soak the chicken in pickle juice for at least 24 hours before cooking it. Alright, the cat's out of the bag.

Plus the Honey Mustard is second only to Bojo's

aimo
06-10-2008, 08:18 AM
Still a little new to Durham, so please share with McD you received your undercooked cix. Thanks!

It was the one at Southpoint Crossing on 54. I NEVER eat at McDonald's, but if you give me a coupon . . . I get what I deserve.

I tried calling again several times. Later, I finally got the manager to answer. He asked me was I the one who narced on him to the 800 number (my words, not his). He apologized, said he didn't know what happened, that no one else complained of an undercooked sandwich, blah blah blah. Since I said that I never eat there, he is basically leaving it up to the owner to deal with me. When I got home, she had left a message telling me to call her so she can send me coupons. Right now, the thought of ever eating one of those again makes me nauseous.

TillyGalore
06-10-2008, 08:25 AM
It was the one at Southpoint Crossing on 54. I NEVER eat at McDonald's, but if you give me a coupon . . . I get what I deserve.

I tried calling again several times. Later, I finally got the manager to answer. He asked me was I the one who narced on him to the 800 number (my words, not his). He apologized, said he didn't know what happened, that no one else complained of an undercooked sandwich, blah blah blah. Since I said that I never eat there, he is basically leaving it up to the owner to deal with me. When I got home, she had left a message telling me to call her so she can send me coupons. Right now, the thought of ever eating one of those again makes me nauseous.

I was afraid that was the McDonald's you were referring to. I've not had issues with them, but my boyfriend was very unimpressed with the service.

Oh well, good thing I prefer Wendy's for burgers, and CFA for chix. :D

snowdenscold
06-10-2008, 09:51 AM
It's funny - about 75% of the time I have a huge CfA craving it's been on Sunday. Oh well, I completely respect them for that and think it's great - I just wish my apetite would sync up with my brain.
I always ate the nuggets there for the longest time but have switched to the chicken sandwiches recently - why did I not do this sooner??

ugadevil
06-10-2008, 09:53 AM
Anyone tried the new chicken salad sandwich at CFA? Is the original version still available? It looks like they've changed the bread and made it a little more deluxe.

2535Miles
06-10-2008, 11:51 AM
It's funny - about 75% of the time I have a huge CfA craving it's been on Sunday. Oh well, I completely respect them for that and think it's great - I just wish my apetite would sync up with my brain.
I always ate the nuggets there for the longest time but have switched to the chicken sandwiches recently - why did I not do this sooner??
That's funny, when I used to live in Greenville, SC 75% of alcohol cravings occurred on Sunday too!

Jim3k
06-10-2008, 07:36 PM

Would that be the Waffle House near the Albuquerque airport? I think it's only a 2 day drive from SEA to ABQ. (But at $4.50 a gallon, it's probably not the best of ideas.) Oh, wait. There are several in Denver.

I was in Charleston 2 weeks ago, but still missed out on the one there.

hc5duke
06-10-2008, 07:45 PM
Would that be the Waffle House near the Albuquerque airport? I think it's only a 2 day drive from SEA to ABQ. (But at $4.50 a gallon, it's probably not the best of ideas.) Oh, wait. There are several in Denver.

I was in Charleston 2 weeks ago, but still missed out on the one there.

Waffle House is such a hit-or-miss though... I've always been more of a Cracker Barrel guy... I don't know where the nearest one is, but Google seems to think there is one in Fremont, CA (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=cracker+barrel+near+94588&ie=UTF8&z=11&iwloc=A). I haven't checked but I'm 99.9% sure that's a mistake. Here's the review:

It's official. The best Thai food...‎ - wander28‎ - Dec 5, 2007
You might not guess it from the deli-like setting, of which it is also, but Cracker Barrel is serving the best Thai cuisine I have ever tasted. All of my other Thai dining ...‎

The Cracker Barrel website says "Kingman AZ" (605 mi, 9.5 hr) and "St. George UT" (655mi, 10 hrs) are the nearest locations.

2535Miles
06-10-2008, 08:51 PM
Waffle House is such a hit-or-miss though... I've always been more of a Cracker Barrel guy... I don't know where the nearest one is, but Google seems to think there is one in Fremont, CA (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=cracker+barrel+near+94588&ie=UTF8&z=11&iwloc=A). I haven't checked but I'm 99.9% sure that's a mistake. Here's the review:

The Cracker Barrel website says "Kingman AZ" (605 mi, 9.5 hr) and "St. George UT" (655mi, 10 hrs) are the nearest locations.
I can't even compare Waffle House and Cracker Barrel. Cracker Barrel is best suited for road trip pit stops or stopping with family on vacation. Waffle House should never be frequented during daylight, and preferably not frequented unless one's BAL is approximately 0.15%.

I miss seeing this on menus.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c97/long1118/hashbrowns.jpg

DevilAlumna
06-11-2008, 01:51 AM
Waffle House is such a hit-or-miss though... I've always been more of a Cracker Barrel guy...

And I thought you were a decent fellow.... ;)

Actually Cracker Barrel is fine, but it's *no* Waffle House.

Last I checked (which, admittedly, was 2003) the nearest WH was on the Nebraska side of Denver. When I drove Westward, it took me 2+ days from Scottsbluff to Seattle (granted, I was a little pokey.) I doubt any NM location would be closer, but I've never calculated the distance.

ugadevil
06-11-2008, 08:53 AM
I can't even compare Waffle House and Cracker Barrel. Cracker Barrel is best suited for road trip pit stops or stopping with family on vacation. Waffle House should never be frequented during daylight, and preferably not frequented unless one's BAL is approximately 0.15%.

I wasn't aware that sober people even considered Waffle House as a legitimate place to eat.

HaveFunExpectToWin
06-11-2008, 10:25 AM
Ok, just to clarify, I would prefer CfA to McD any day (except Sunday), but for those of us not fortunate enough to be near one, McD is a reasonable alternative. Now if they just add Bojangles chicken we'd be set. Ditto whoever said CfA waffle fries suck. Everyone should adopt Arby's curly fries, end of story.

I live walking distance to the ChickFilA in the Ballston Mall (Arlington VA) and work near the one in Reston. It's kinda gross how much I like ChickFilA.

Arby's fries and roast beef are awesome.

hc5duke
06-11-2008, 02:23 PM
And I thought you were a decent fellow.... ;)

My mistake must have been trying to go during daylight :o . Though to be fair, in Durham, Honey's was always our dining choice when BAC went above a certain point past midnight. I believe I still hold the unofficial Hungry Man's Challenge* record at 2:51.

* three eggs, two pancakes, bacon strips, sausage links, hash browns, grits, biscuits, and gravy according to CitySearch.

2535Miles
06-11-2008, 02:44 PM
My mistake must have been trying to go during daylight :o . Though to be fair, in Durham, Honey's was always our dining choice when BAC went above a certain point past midnight. I believe I still hold the unofficial Hungry Man's Challenge* record at 2:51.

* three eggs, two pancakes, bacon strips, sausage links, hash browns, grits, biscuits, and gravy according to CitySearch.
I love Honey's!

snowdenscold
06-11-2008, 03:03 PM
I just went and had two chick-fil-a sandwiches and some waffle fires for lunch earlier. I am still very full.

hc5duke
06-11-2008, 03:07 PM
I just went and had two chick-fil-a sandwiches and some waffle fires for lunch earlier. I am still very full.

waffle fires tastes like burning
http://www.binarytuberculosis.com/media/tastes_like_burning.gif

snowdenscold
06-12-2008, 11:26 AM
I love Honey's!

They have good water.

aimo
06-12-2008, 12:52 PM
the owner of the franchise sent me $5 in gift certificates. Unfortunately, they're to McDonald's.

cspan37421
06-17-2008, 01:08 PM
Came back from Durham last night - going back Fri - and stopped around 9pm in Black Mtn. and used my coupon for the McD Southern Style Chicken Sandwich.

First impression: ungenerous size. Talk about portion control all you want, but the first impression is that this thing is almost biscuit-sized. Remember the original McD plain hamburger? That's the bun size we're talking about here.

Taste impression: while it might be recognized as an imitation of the Chick-Fil-A chicken sandwich, it was a poor imitation. Mine was not underdone in terms of raw chicken, but the coating was barely a shade over pale, as opposed to the nearly-browned "original". The taste wasn't quite there, either. Too mild, in terms of all flavors - not talking spicy. It was just bland. The pickles were pale and yellow too, not bright green.

Like most McD food - and I'll admit, I think they've improved a lot lately - it'll fill you, but you won't be thinking "boy was that good."

BTW their coffee, supposedly "premium" these days, was not fresh and probably not very good even when fresh.