PDA

View Full Version : MMJ-Evil Urges

rockymtn devil
06-02-2008, 05:16 PM
Anyone else eagerly anticipating the new My Morning Jacket album "Evil Urges"? The Rolling Stone review of the album (4/5 stars) was posted online last week and has gotten me even more excited. According to RS, the album is more experimental than "Z", yet somehow manages to stay true to the traditional Southern Rock heritage of their previous albums. I think it's that apparent contradiction that has me most interested.

And, for added effect I'm sure, RS compared it "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot" and "Kid A" in terms of veering off course and messing with expectations. Given that I love the former and hate the latter, I'm hoping it's more like a Wilco change than a Radiohead one.

Mal
06-02-2008, 07:54 PM
I'm excited for it, as well. From the first single I heard, it sounds like among other things, Jim James has turned off the reverb on his mike a little. That alone was startling enough that it took me a minute to even recognize who it was.

Agreed with the sentiment re: YHF vs. Kid A and hoping it's more the former than the latter. My ears think RS's analogy is somewhat flawed, anyway. I think of YHF as Wilco's OK Computer. A Ghost Is Born was more like Kid A to me - what worked so amazingly well in Yankee, the big conceptual leap, was pushed perhaps a bit too far on the followup. Likewise with Kid A (and Amnesiac). Regardless, it seems safe, given where the two of them came from, to guess MMJ's progression would be more similar to Wilco's. I just can't imagine there's a big electronica bent this time around.

rockymtn devil
06-02-2008, 08:36 PM
I'm excited for it, as well. From the first single I heard, it sounds like among other things, Jim James has turned off the reverb on his mike a little. That alone was startling enough that it took me a minute to even recognize who it was.

Agreed with the sentiment re: YHF vs. Kid A and hoping it's more the former than the latter. My ears think RS's analogy is somewhat flawed, anyway. I think of YHF as Wilco's OK Computer. A Ghost Is Born was more like Kid A to me - what worked so amazingly well in Yankee, the big conceptual leap, was pushed perhaps a bit too far on the followup. Likewise with Kid A (and Amnesiac). Regardless, it seems safe, given where the two of them came from, to guess MMJ's progression would be more similar to Wilco's. I just can't imagine there's a big electronica bent this time around.

The minimal amount of reverb is a huge change, but a needed one. I guess with the success of Band of Horses, James had to stake out some new ground to separate MMJ from their contemporaries. I've only heard the stream of "Evil Urges" and whatever songs they played on SNL a few weeks ago (I was half asleep and didn't catch the titles). Very much intrigued.

Agreed on the Kid A vs. YHF. Prior to Kid A, Radiohead had flirted with electronic music (OK Computer) so it wasn't a huge jump. Prior to YHF--even considering Summerteeth--Wilco was just playing a punked-up version of The Byrds (something that Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers had already done). YHF ended their run as an "alt-country" band.

rockymtn devil
06-04-2008, 10:17 PM
BTW, streamed the entire album and it's great. "Highly Suspicious" is the weirdest and funniest song I've heard in ages. Will be a party fav on college campuses across the country.

rockymtn devil
06-11-2008, 01:02 PM

Did you pick it up yesterday? I've listened to it a few times through now and think I can fairly assess it.

First of all, it isn't on par with YHF, but that's a really high standard to meet. I'm also surprised that the music is much more akin to "It Still Moves" than "Z". The southern rock guitar rips are still there, they're just surrounded by funk and soul bass lines and vocals and 80s drum beats. The album gets a little sleepy in the middle ("Two Halves" and "Sec Walking" are the weak points) but the more rocking songs are great ("I'm Amazed", "Aluminum Park", "Highly Suspicious"). I also like the way "Evil Urges" goes from a wannabe Prince song to an Allman Brother's duel midway through. Finally, I love "Smokin' From Shooting"--up there with "I Will Sing You Songs" as my favorite MMJ tunes.

Mal
06-11-2008, 01:45 PM
Downloading and listening in full are two wholly separated activites for me these days, I'm afraid. I haven't even synched my iPod in about a month, despite having purchased a few albums last week. So, it may take me awhile.

I trust your taste (and share your high opinion of "I Will Sing You Songs"), so your review has gotten me psyched. Especially after reading Pitchfork's utterly predictable, but still harsher than I expected, slamming. I'll try to get to it ASAP, and will definitely get the album as a Father's Day gift to myself. Glad to hear your thought that it's closer to "It Still Moves" which is MMJ's best, in my opinion. Not that I didn't love "Z" but it was a bit schizo, where there were multiple buried treasures on "It Still Moves" and the funky horn arrangements made it a homerun. Plus I loved the album cover.

rockymtn devil
06-11-2008, 01:51 PM
Downloading and listening in full are two wholly separated activites for me these days, I'm afraid. I haven't even synched my iPod in about a month, despite having purchased a few albums last week. So, it may take me awhile.

I trust your taste (and share your high opinion of "I Will Sing You Songs"), so your review has gotten me psyched. Especially after reading Pitchfork's utterly predictable, but still harsher than I expected, slamming. I'll try to get to it ASAP, and will definitely get the album as a Father's Day gift to myself. Glad to hear your thought that it's closer to "It Still Moves" which is MMJ's best, in my opinion. Not that I didn't love "Z" but it was a bit schizo, where there were multiple buried treasures on "It Still Moves" and the funky horn arrangements made it a homerun. Plus I loved the album cover.

Yes, Pitchfork was harsh. No, I'm not surprised. Unlike other publications, it has the unfortunate burden of having to keep in mind its self-designated role as arbiter of indieness. I'm actually surprised that a band that has now produced 3 albums for Dave Matthews' label didn't get slammed by them earlier. It will only be a matter of time before Band of Horses and Iron & Wine reach the same fate. Lucky for their writers, I don't think Panda Bear will ever lose indie cred.

Mal
06-11-2008, 03:31 PM
Band of Horses is already there. If their next work is anything like their last, they get scalded. When my wife likes a band, they are dead to Pitchfork.

You're probably right about Panda Bear, if they remain as inaccessible to most of the public as they are now. But you never know - if they keep showing up on Bob Boilen's yearly Top Ten list on NPR, they might get a little tarnish on their indieness and need to be taken down a peg. Because we can't have Gen X'ers with money listening to them.

Prediction: Arcade Fire's next album gets less than 6.5. People my age who were not on board two albums ago will have absorbed them in sufficient number by then. Or Montreal will no longer be considered cool. Or something like that.

willywoody
06-14-2008, 12:40 AM
i've listened to it a few times via their myspace page and it's good but all over the place. i've got tix to see them again at the end of the summer and it will be interesting to hear some of these songs live. i think its better than the live album and their first one overall. i'll be picking it up pronto.