PDA

View Full Version : French Open

ugadevil
06-02-2008, 04:19 PM
Is anyone watching this tournament? On the men's side, it looks like every major tournament is coming down to three players. Djokovic, Nadal, and Federer are the clear favorites to play for the title - with Nadal being the heavy front-runner. I'd like Djokovic to take the title, but that's because he's my favorite out of the three. Another typical lousy performance turned in by the Americans on the Men's Draw.

In the Women's Draw, I'm no longer paying attention. Maria Sharapova out = Ugadevil out. :mad:

EarlJam
06-02-2008, 04:35 PM
Is anyone watching this tournament? On the men's side, it looks like every major tournament is coming down to three players. Djokovic, Nadal, and Federer are the clear favorites to play for the title - with Nadal being the heavy front-runner. I'd like Djokovic to take the title, but that's because he's my favorite out of the three. Another typical lousy performance turned in by the Americans on the Men's Draw.

In the Women's Draw, I'm no longer paying attention. Maria Sharapova out = Ugadevil out. :mad:

I'm watching it. I was betting on Federer because he was so freakin' dominant the other day. Then I saw the Nadal score. Wow.

I'm still putting my money on Federer though. Dude's too mentally tough to keep losing to one player. He wants the French Open title - and I think he'll get it.

-EarlJam

dukemomLA
06-03-2008, 04:36 AM
Although the French Open is my least favorite of the Grand Slam events, I'm watching. BUT....I am continually annoyed and frustrated by the lack of success of the Americans. (...okay...call me an Ugly American). You'd think after all these years that a large country with such amazing athletes could nurture tennis players, year after year, who could not only compete, but dominate on clay.

Go Nadal.

micah75
06-08-2008, 03:32 PM
I watched the final set between Nadal and Federer on NBC, with Federer winning the fifth set 6-2 and falling to the clay in celebration. But when I just recently checked my Yahoo page, I see headlines that read "Nadal wins French Open." When I click on the link (http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news;_ylt=ArLFW1_IF.HWU8O_au9Yod44v7YF?slug=ap-frenchopen&prov=ap&type=lgns) there is a complete detailed summary of Nadal winning 6-1, 6-3, 6-0.

What gives? Is this a bhogus story? I'm still scratching my head as I could have sworn that I just watched Roger finally beat Nadal.

Dominating the world’s No. 1 player with astounding ease, Nadal swept six consecutive games early in the match and swept the final nine games to win 6-1, 6-3, 6-0.

It was Federer’s worst loss in his 173 Grand Slam matches, and the most lopsided men’s final at Roland Garros since 1977.

So thorough was the thumping that during the trophy ceremony, Nadal was moved to apologize.

billybreen
06-08-2008, 03:38 PM
I watched the final set between Nadal and Federer on NBC, with Federer winning the fifth set 6-2 and falling to the clay in celebration. But when I just recently checked my Yahoo page, I see headlines that read "Nadal wins French Open." When I click on the link (http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news;_ylt=ArLFW1_IF.HWU8O_au9Yod44v7YF?slug=ap-frenchopen&prov=ap&type=lgns) there is a complete detailed summary of Nadal winning 6-1, 6-3, 6-0.

What gives? Is this a bhogus story? I'm still scratching my head as I could have sworn that I just watched Roger finally beat Nadal.

I'm guessing that was the 5th of Wimbeldon last year, and the 'clay', which I suspect was a very worn down shade of green, was actually grass.

billybreen
06-08-2008, 03:40 PM
Although the French Open is my least favorite of the Grand Slam events, I'm watching. BUT....I am continually annoyed and frustrated by the lack of success of the Americans. (...okay...call me an Ugly American). You'd think after all these years that a large country with such amazing athletes could nurture tennis players, year after year, who could not only compete, but dominate on clay.

Go Nadal.

Our finest young athletes are playing basketball, football, and (to a lesser extent) baseball and golf. I just don't think tennis has the draw it once did.

EarlJam plays it, so it must not be cool.

micah75
06-08-2008, 03:43 PM
I'm guessing that was the 5th of Wimbeldon last year, and the 'clay', which I suspect was a very worn down shade of green, was actually grass.

I guess that would explain it. I didn't tune in until the beginning of the 5th set, so I was going on the assumption that this was today's French Open finals. They must have some time to kill if Nadal
won in 3 straight.

rthomas
06-08-2008, 04:59 PM

Ana Ivanovic est très hot.

http://www.sportsmansdaily.com/images/ana-ivanovic11_001.jpg

billybreen
06-08-2008, 05:17 PM
Ana Ivanovic est très hot.

Indeed. I'd rate her well above Maria.

Bluedog
06-08-2008, 09:43 PM
Our finest young athletes are playing basketball, football, and (to a lesser extent) baseball and golf. I just don't think tennis has the draw it once did.

EarlJam plays it, so it must not be cool.

Well, tennis is probably the second most popular sport in many countries (especially eastern Europe), so we can't expect Americans to truly dominate.....just as we don't expect American to dominate in soccer. The sheer percentages are tough to overcome. We dominate in football because nobody else plays it, and used to dominate in basketball....hopefully that will return. But hopefully Querrey or Young can bring it at some point. (self promoting note: I beat Donald Young in a doubles match! (.....when he was 10 and I was 14, but he was a damn good player for a 10-year-old) )