PDA

View Full Version : Vegetarian Hikers?

bdh21
05-30-2008, 11:42 AM
Are there any vegetarian hikers on the boards who might have tips on how to eat and get enough protein out in the backcountry?

Thanks

billybreen
05-30-2008, 11:44 AM
I have nothing to add to this thread. But I think 'vegetarian hikers' should be a euphemism for something cool. It just feels like there's something there.

juise
05-30-2008, 11:54 AM
I would think that (preferably unsalted) nuts would be a good option. When I was in Uganda last summer doing construction(ish) work, we survived on nutty granola bars, beef jerky, and dried fruit during the day.

onepresent
05-30-2008, 12:08 PM
I've been a vegetarian for about 20 years, and a backpacker all my adult life. My trail diet usually consists of instant oatmill for breakfast and a couple small handfuls of dried fruit, lots of black coffee. Lunch is cheese, crackers, slice of bread, seseme sticks, dried fruit, and cookies. Dinner is either rice or noodles in a soup mix with fresh onion and bell pepper, sometimes with cheese and crackers. Lather, rinse and repeat.

The other guys who backpack with me are flesh-eaters, but they always go vegie on this trip and never mention missing meat. (I believe it's extremely difficult to I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. and moan while in the wilderness.)

This question got me looking online for some protein facts...

http://www.iloveindia.com/nutrition/protein/daily-protein-requirement.html

A person whose physical activity level is good enough and who performs exercises for about an hour or so, for them the ideal protein intake is about 1.0-1.2g of protein per kg of body weight. The recommended protein requirement differs for athletes, like for people who are engaged in endurance training, the protein intake should be about 1.2-1.4g of protein per kg of body weight, while for persons who are engaged in strength training, the daily recommended protein requirement is approximately 1.6-1.7g of protein per kg of body weight.

http://www.babycenter.in/toddler/nutrition/cheeseormilkexpert/
...a slice of cheese, approximately 20 g,...
Protein (g): 4.98

Doing the math from the above two links (advance warning, I'm doing math) it looks like about a half gram of protein per pound of body weight. Or a slice of cheese per 10 pounds of body weight.

This is higher than I thought would be needed. I'd guess I'm not getting enough protein on my trips, but then my trips only last around 5-6 days.

I hope we hear more from others, but I imagine this is an extremely small percent of the population.

Indoor66
05-30-2008, 12:19 PM
I hope we hear more from others, but I imagine this is an extremely small percent of the population.

A first I thought the thread title was an oxymoron! :D

EarlJam
05-30-2008, 12:38 PM
I have nothing to add to this thread. But I think 'vegetarian hikers' should be a euphemism for something cool. It just feels like there's something there.

Vegetarian hikers;
Are more a threat to me;
Than large Hungarian bikers;
That stab you in the knee.

They hike the trails of the nation;
Eating leaves and nuts;
While people who are Haitian;
Eat pig and big bull butts.

Just hike and eat your meat;
You'll stay quite healthy that way;
Enjoy some pickeled pigs feet;
Stop eating grass and hay.

For grass and hay is for rabbits;
And long ago Brontosauruses;
So get into the habit;
Of stuffing meat into your orifices.

So now I'll get off of my soap box;
I hope in some way I've made clear;
Eat the bull, ostrich or yummy ox;
And perhaps a plate of deer.

God bless you all. Good night.

-E to the A to the R to the L to the "We be JAMmin'!"

EarlJam
05-30-2008, 12:41 PM

You know what? I agree with you but didn't know what I was relating it to. Not a euphemism, but something from an old classic movie, "The Blues Brothers."

Remember this scene?

"Illinois Nazis."

"I hate Illinois Nazis."

Well, just replace it with vegetarian hikers.

"Vegetarian Hikers."

"I hate vegetarian hikers."

-EarlJam

onepresent
05-30-2008, 12:44 PM
EarlJam, that is beautiful and persuasive.

xenic
05-30-2008, 01:36 PM

While this is probably true, I'd guess that a much larger percent of hikers are vegetarian than in the rest of the population.

Spirulina is a good source of protein... it's quite expensive though, and many people have trouble dealing with the green color.

bdh21
05-30-2008, 01:37 PM
I've been a vegetarian for about 20 years, and a backpacker all my adult life. My trail diet usually consists of instant oatmill for breakfast and a couple small handfuls of dried fruit, lots of black coffee. Lunch is cheese, crackers, slice of bread, seseme sticks, dried fruit, and cookies. Dinner is either rice or noodles in a soup mix with fresh onion and bell pepper, sometimes with cheese and crackers. Lather, rinse and repeat.

The other guys who backpack with me are flesh-eaters, but they always go vegie on this trip and never mention missing meat. (I believe it's extremely difficult to I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. and moan while in the wilderness.)

This question got me looking online for some protein facts...

http://www.iloveindia.com/nutrition/protein/daily-protein-requirement.html

A person whose physical activity level is good enough and who performs exercises for about an hour or so, for them the ideal protein intake is about 1.0-1.2g of protein per kg of body weight. The recommended protein requirement differs for athletes, like for people who are engaged in endurance training, the protein intake should be about 1.2-1.4g of protein per kg of body weight, while for persons who are engaged in strength training, the daily recommended protein requirement is approximately 1.6-1.7g of protein per kg of body weight.

http://www.babycenter.in/toddler/nutrition/cheeseormilkexpert/
...a slice of cheese, approximately 20 g,...
Protein (g): 4.98

Doing the math from the above two links (advance warning, I'm doing math) it looks like about a half gram of protein per pound of body weight. Or a slice of cheese per 10 pounds of body weight.

This is higher than I thought would be needed. I'd guess I'm not getting enough protein on my trips, but then my trips only last around 5-6 days.

I'm not vegetarian (I usually eat my bodyweight in meat each day) but my friend just converted. We're planning an 18-day hike this summer: Yep, I'm doing the JMT (http://www.hikejmt.com/) again.

When you string together that many strenuous days in a row, protein becomes a real issue. I've heard of strategies like "mix some whey protein into your couscous," but just the thought of that nauseates me. The actual weight (& density, & water content) of the food is also a big concern because we're going to have to carry 10 days of food on our backs at one point.

Actually, I think I'll just show him EarlJAM's epic poem, he'll be eating meat, problem solved.

EarlJam
05-30-2008, 01:54 PM
Actually, I think I'll just show him EarlJAM's epic poem, he'll be eating meat, problem solved.

A few years ago I went vegetarian (except for fish) for over a year and got in the best shape of my life.

Where to get protein? I got mine from tuna, beans and stuff like that.

I could be wrong, but I also believe protein bars have protein in them.

-EarlJam

cato
05-30-2008, 03:08 PM
I'm not vegetarian (I usually eat my bodyweight in meat each day) but my friend just converted. We're planning an 18-day hike this summer: Yep, I'm doing the JMT (http://www.hikejmt.com/) again.

When you string together that many strenuous days in a row, protein becomes a real issue. I've heard of strategies like "mix some whey protein into your couscous," but just the thought of that nauseates me. The actual weight (& density, & water content) of the food is also a big concern because we're going to have to carry 10 days of food on our backs at one point.

I did outward bound when I was 17, and we did not eat meat for something approaching 3 weeks. It can be done (although I did lose a whole bunch of weight). However, that was over a decade ago, so I can't help on the meal planning.