PDA

View Full Version : Get your ice cold water here!

EarlJam
05-29-2008, 07:15 PM
When I was at Turner Field the other day, there was a tent set up with a sign that read, "Ice Cold Bottled Water." I've also seen this adjective to describe other beverages in various parts of the city/world.

Question: If it's ice cold, shouldn't it be frozen?

I mean, I understand how a river or some waterways can be 32 degrees but not frozen due to the movement of water. But bottled water? Ice cold?

Not possible is it?

-EarlJam

hughgs
05-29-2008, 07:25 PM
When I was at Turner Field the other day, there was a tent set up with a sign that read, "Ice Cold Bottled Water." I've also seen this adjective to describe other beverages in various parts of the city/world.

I mean, I understand how a river or some waterways can be 32 degrees but not frozen due to the movement of water. But bottled water? Ice cold?

Not possible is it?

-EarlJam

The molecule known as water (H20) can exist in both liquid form and solid form at 0 degrees Celsius. In fact, if you remove heat from water that is initially above 0 degrees, when you arrive at 0 degrees you have to remove additional heat to get ice to form. While the ice is forming the temperature does not decrease. And only after all of the liquid has transformed to ice has formed will the temperature begin to decrease. At least at the macroscopic scale.

cato
05-29-2008, 07:32 PM

Not possible is it?

-EarlJam

When I was a frosh, I put a bottle of water in the freezer section of my mini fridge. I opened the door one day, and pulled out the bottle of liquid water. During the time it took me to lift the bottle out of the freezer and start to twist the cap, the water turned to ice. It was truly awesome.

EarlJam
05-29-2008, 07:44 PM
The molecule known as water (H20) can exist in both liquid form and solid form at 0 degrees Celsius. In fact, if you remove heat from water that is initially above 0 degrees, when you arrive at 0 degrees you have to remove additional heat to get ice to form. While the ice is forming the temperature does not decrease. And only after all of the liquid has transformed to ice has formed will the temperature begin to decrease. At least at the macroscopic scale.

What? :eek:

I did not go to Duke, so I need some layman's terms. So if the water in a bottle is 32 degrees, it won't freeze??

EarlJam
05-29-2008, 07:46 PM
When I was a frosh, I put a bottle of water in the freezer section of my mini fridge. I opened the door one day, and pulled out the bottle of liquid water. During the time it took me to lift the bottle out of the freezer and start to twist the cap, the water turned to ice. It was truly awesome.

I've had this happen with beer. And yes, it is truly awesome!

-EJ

Bluedawg
05-29-2008, 07:58 PM
ice cold water (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moWn5AejvQM)

EarlJam
05-29-2008, 08:17 PM
ice cold water (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moWn5AejvQM)

Awesome?

-EarlJam

rthomas
05-29-2008, 09:30 PM

Not possible is it?

-EarlJam

Please tell me why you were looking at a tent selling water, when you should be looking for tents selling Ice Cold Beer Liquids.

hughgs
05-29-2008, 10:09 PM
What? :eek:

I did not go to Duke, so I need some layman's terms. So if the water in a bottle is 32 degrees, it won't freeze??

No, if the water in the bottle is 32 degrees, it is possible that part of the water is in liquid form and part of it is ice..

You may be getting hung up on the difference between cooling an object and the temperature change of an object. When an object exhibits a phase shift, such as liquid water to solid ice, cooling the water does not create a drop in temperature but contributes to the phase change, changing the liquid water to ice.

Start with water at 33 degrees. Start cooling heat. When the temperature reaches 32 degrees, the water is still liquid. Continue to remove heat (cooling it). The water will start to change to ice, but the temperature will remain at 32 degrees. When all the water is ice, then further cooling will decrease the temperature.

In essence, you can't instantaneously change from liquid water to solid ice as you cool the water. You have to allow the phase change to occur before further temperature changes.

If something doesn't make sense let me know so I can explain it better.

-jk
05-29-2008, 11:23 PM

Ooh! Supercooled water! This guy has video (http://f0rked.com/articles/supercooling).

-jk

devildeac
05-29-2008, 11:55 PM
Ooh! Supercooled water! This guy has video (http://f0rked.com/articles/supercooling).

-jk

this smacks of pure indulgence when -jk is participating in this thread. next thing you know, he will be posting in the rice-a-roni-beef-a-roni thread. oh, my:o;)

OZZIE4DUKE
05-30-2008, 12:48 AM
this smacks of pure indulgence when -jk is participating in this thread. next thing you know, he will be posting in the rice-a-roni-beef-a-roni thread. oh, my:o;)

You post whore, you!:eek:

hughgs
05-30-2008, 02:15 AM

-jk

Water is one substance that can simultaneously occur as steam, liquid, and ice at the same time (triple point).

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:quezcHMxwvwJ:www.maniacworld.com/water-at-triple-point.jpg

rsvman
05-30-2008, 10:37 AM
As I understand it, all substances could be brought to the triple point if you could physically create the right pressure and temperature.

Water that rapidly freezes after being jostled is water that is supercooled; in other words, taken to colder than the freezing point but not frozen. If it can be supercooled, it follows that "ice-cold water" is certainly possible.

What was described above with regards to freezing is also true when it comes to the other phase-shift of water, liquid to gas (i.e., boiling). Once a pot of water hits the boiling point, the water stays the same temperature even if you put more heat into the system; that energy goes to phase-changing. So all boiling water is the same temperature. To get hotter it needs to be in gaseous form (at atmospheric temperatures, obviously).

Bluedawg
05-30-2008, 03:41 PM
Awesome?

-EarlJam

I thought you'd like it.

hughgs
05-30-2008, 05:11 PM
As I understand it, all substances could be brought to the triple point if you could physically create the right pressure and temperature.

Water that rapidly freezes after being jostled is water that is supercooled; in other words, taken to colder than the freezing point but not frozen. If it can be supercooled, it follows that "ice-cold water" is certainly possible.

What was described above with regards to freezing is also true when it comes to the other phase-shift of water, liquid to gas (i.e., boiling). Once a pot of water hits the boiling point, the water stays the same temperature even if you put more heat into the system; that energy goes to phase-changing. So all boiling water is the same temperature. To get hotter it needs to be in gaseous form (at atmospheric temperatures, obviously).

I don't think every substance has a triple point. While, most substances have triple point, if I remember my thermodynamics class correctly, not all substances have a triple point. However, a quick Google search didn't reveal any substances without a triple point, so maybe I'm getting old :).

-jk
05-30-2008, 05:19 PM

I may go slumming now and again, but I do have standards. (Rice-a-Roni? Blech.) ;)

-jk

captmojo
05-30-2008, 05:22 PM
I may go slumming now and again, but I do have standards. (Rice-a-Roni? Blech.) ;)

-jk

I twisted it.