PDA

View Full Version : What's on your summer reading list?

calltheobvious
05-25-2008, 09:21 AM
So far my works-in-progress looks like this:

The Lucifer Effect: Understanding How Good People Turn Evil, by Philip Zimbardo, social psychologist and creator of the Stanford Prison Experiment.

Boston, by Upton Sinclair, his novel based on the Sacco and Vanzetti case.

SouthgateWindsor
05-25-2008, 10:57 AM
For an easy, fun read I highly recommend Sex Lives Of Cannibals (http://www.amazon.com/Sex-Lives-Cannibals-Equatorial-Pacific/dp/0767915305/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1211727296&sr=8-1) by J. Maarten Troost.

blazindw
05-25-2008, 11:06 AM
Bar review books...probably taking another bar exam :(

Other than that, I will hopefully read the Barack Obama books along with the Coach K books (of which I'm sad to say I've been slipping on)

pacificrounder
05-25-2008, 12:02 PM
I've already started The World is Flat by T.L. Friedman, hopefully next will be Audacity of Hope (I figure I should read it if he's going to be running for President, which it seems like he is), and then probably GRE review books toward the end of the summer. :( :(

Bluedawg
05-30-2008, 04:15 PM
Currently reading ‘Real Change (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22653331/)" Newt Gingrich

Also working on "The Reagan Diaries (http://www.harpercollins.com/books/9780060876005/The_Reagan_Diaries/index.aspx)" Ronald Reagan

Need to finish "Just Walk Across the Room (http://www.zondervan.com/Cultures/en-US/Product/ProductDetail.htm?ProdID=com.zondervan.97803102666 93&QueryStringSite=Zondervan)" Bill Hybels

Want to read "Never Give In (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23609556/)" Arlen Specter

BlueDevilBaby
05-30-2008, 05:48 PM
Y'll are too serious. I'm on "The Last Juror" right now and may go to Suite Francaise next. I would like to read that Walmart book (The Walmart Effect?) at some point, as well as one of the Obama books that my dad gave me. But I'm just not a real big non-fiction reader. Even have the Coach K books but have not cracked them yet. I'm sorry!:o

DevilAlumna
05-30-2008, 08:38 PM
I just finished "Bel Canto," by Ann Patchett -- a good beach book, with solid prose and a captivating story. I think I'll start Michener's "Caribbean" next. (I'm in the mood for an all-engrossing book, and you can live in a Michener world for weeks on end. Loved Hawaii, Alaska, and The Source!)

For entertainment while doing household chores and yardwork, I'm currently listening to "Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal," by Christopher Moore. It's pretty funny, somewhat irreverent, and again, good writing/prose.

Oh, and David Sedaris has a new book out, so that's high on the must-read list.

duke74
05-30-2008, 08:41 PM
The new books by Fareed Zakaria and Robert Kagan.

Devil in the Blue Dress
05-30-2008, 08:42 PM
I'm about to finish Mariette in Ecstasy by Ron Hansen which is the final book on the Duke Reads list for this year.

2535Miles
05-30-2008, 10:17 PM
Monkeyluv: And Other Essays on Our Lives as Animals (http://www.amazon.com/Monkeyluv-Other-Essays-Lives-Animals/dp/0743260155) - Robert M. Sapolsky. I cannot put this book down.

The Elegant Universe (http://www.amazon.com/Elegant-Universe-Superstrings-Dimensions-Ultimate/dp/0375708111) - Bryan Greene. Not exactly a beach read, but I'm into it.

The Black Swan: The Impact of the Highly Improbable (http://www.amazon.com/Black-Swan-Impact-Highly-Improbable/dp/1400063515) - Nassim Nicholas Taleb. I am beginning to rethink a few things.

Cougars (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9474&page=5) - EarlJam. 'Nuff said.

Lavabe
05-30-2008, 10:35 PM
Beowulf!:D

Bob Green
05-31-2008, 06:04 AM
I'm about two-thirds of the way through A Confederacy of Dunces the Pulitizer Prize winner by John Kennedy Toole. The comedic exploits of Ignatius J. Reilly are extremely entertaining.

Devil in the Blue Dress
05-31-2008, 09:46 AM
I'm about two-thirds of the way through A Confederacy of Dunces the Pulitizer Prize winner by John Kennedy Toole. The comedic exploits of Ignatius J. Reilly are extremely entertaining.
Oh, that's one of my favorites! I bought a copy in New Orleans and read it on the flight home. It was difficult not to laugh out loud. Other people couldn't understand what was so entertaining. For those who know NOLA, especially as it was before Katrina, this book is a treasure in its descriptions of places and people.

2535Miles
05-31-2008, 03:46 PM
Such a great book with an interesting history behind it's publication. This is a must own.

Devil in the Blue Dress
05-31-2008, 04:16 PM
Such a great book with an interesting history behind it's publication. This is a must own.

The sad loss of the writer to suicide at a relatively young age and his mother's persistence to get the attention of a professor at Loyola could be story enough if there were no more to that story.

Ignatius J. Reilly and the rest of the characters live on at the Chateau Sonesta Hotel in NOLA. The hotel is housed in the building which once was the D. H. Holmes department store. The building has been cleverly renovated and offers the largest hotel rooms in the city, all with 12 foot high ceilings. The clock mentioned in the novel is now part of the decor of the bar known as The Clock Bar. The side of the building which faces Canal St. still has the windows of the department store "repurposed" for the hotel's displays. A statue of Ignatius stands in front of one of the display windows, his Wheel of Fortuna represented in a piece of art which is part of the window display.... at least that's the way it was when I made my last visit, before the flood waters took over. In a wide hallway leading to Ralph Brennan's Red Fish Grill, memorabilia from the D. H. Holmes store is displayed in glass cases.

rthomas
05-31-2008, 05:42 PM

That is one of my all time favorites.

Mike Corey
05-31-2008, 06:17 PM
Would love to hear a review of the Zakaria book.

I'm currently reading (and would highly recommend) This Republic of Suffering by Drew Gilpin Faust, which is about the enormity of death during the Civil War.

I'd like to read A Peace to End All Peace by David Fromkin, Sedaris' new book, and The Counterlife by Philip Roth before summer's end.

dkbaseball
05-31-2008, 10:30 PM
The sad loss of the writer to suicide at a relatively young age and his mother's persistence to get the attention of a professor at Loyola could be story enough if there were no more to that story.

The Loyola professor was a fellow name of Walker Percy, one of the country's best known novelists.

I'm currently reading The Dumbest Generation. A disappointment so far. I was expecting a much better dissection of our stupidity epidemic (not to put too fine a point on it).

hamster
05-31-2008, 11:23 PM
NOTHING. For someone in the law, this is what is known as heaven...

Just kidding. I'm going to try to get through some classics that I have missed before - currently working on 1984. (Of course, I just finished 2001, so maybe years are the real theme.)

Nonfiction on the list that I am partway through: The Omnivore's Dilemma and Inside the Presidential Debates.

hamster
05-31-2008, 11:24 PM
The Loyola professor was a fellow name of Walker Percy, one of the country's best known novelists.

I'm currently reading The Dumbest Generation. A disappointment so far. I was expecting a much better dissection of our stupidity epidemic (not to put too fine a point on it).

Have you tried A Nation of Wimps?

bdh21
06-01-2008, 04:48 PM
The Omnivore's Dilemma

To summarize: Corn, corn, corn, corn, corn, Americans eat a lot of corn, corn, corn, corn, corn, corn, corn, we even eat more corn than Mexicans, corn, corn, corn, corn, corn, corn, corn is in every food we eat, corn, corn, corn, corn, & a bit more about corn.

Cavlaw
06-01-2008, 05:43 PM
I just read World Without End by Ken Follet, which is something of a sequel to The Pillars of the Earth, though is completely standalone.

I've been struggling through Islands in the Net by Bruce Sterling, a collaborator of William Gibson, but it isn't terrifcally good and his ideas about how society and the internet would develop have proven, well, less than accurate.

Next on the list if Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad, followed by Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Phillip K. Dick.

duke74
06-01-2008, 06:04 PM
Would love to hear a review of the Zakaria book.

Just FYI, the book was recently reviewed in The Economist and the NY Times Sunday Review of Books.

Ignatius07
06-01-2008, 08:48 PM

This is an absolutely phenomenal book - and the title character is my (DBR) namesake.

I'm currently reading A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers - not sure what is next.

Cavlaw
06-01-2008, 08:50 PM
This is an absolutely phenomenal book - and the title character is my (DBR) namesake.

I'm currently reading A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers - not sure what is next.
I've read both. I really liked A Confederacy of Dunces but it did seem to drag on. A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius didn't do much for me. It was interesting enough to keep me reading, but I didn't really enjoy it.

Bostondevil
06-01-2008, 10:11 PM
We're reading The Soul Thief by Charles Baxter in my book club right now. We just finished The Welsh Girl. I'd give The Welsh Girl a mild thumbs up. Not great but not a bad read either.

I've also got some Alexander McCall Smith's on my list, the Sunday Philosopher's Club series, I've already read most of the #1 Ladies Detective Agency books.

Ignatius07
06-01-2008, 11:03 PM
I've read both. I really liked A Confederacy of Dunces but it did seem to drag on. A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius didn't do much for me. It was interesting enough to keep me reading, but I didn't really enjoy it.

I would probably agree that Confederacy could have benefited from being a bit shorter, but as it's the only available work by Toole (as far as I know), it's difficult for me to have that particular complaint.

I am enjoying AHWOSG a lot more than, say, Indecision by Benjamin Kunkel. Eggers casts his unique story in a completely original light that I find compelling. Not the best thing I've ever read, but definitely worth a read.

One book I will be reading sometime this summer is Within a Budding Grove, which is the second book from Proust's In Search of Lost Time. Last year I decided that I would read the entire 7-part book over 7 years - one book each year. So last year I read Swann's Way, which was incredible, even in English (don't know enough French to slog through it). I've heard that some of the middle books are not as good as the first and last. Does anybody have any thoughts on these (not that they will dissuade me from reading them, just curious)?

aimo
06-02-2008, 08:18 AM
I just finished a really fun novel called The Monsters of Templeton by first-time novelist Lauren Groff. Kind of a chick book, but I really enjoyed it. I've been recommending it to everyone I know.

I'm now going back to finish Loving Frank, about Frank Lloyd Wright's highly publicized affair. Pretty interesting.

I'm also planning on finally reading Band of Brothers so I can then rent the dvds.

Then I'll probably pull out a James Patterson or Patricia Cornwell for my summer poolside trash-reading.

Bluedawg
06-02-2008, 03:45 PM
Just moving this back up top. I've been enjoying seeing where everyone book interest lies.

duke74
06-02-2008, 03:57 PM
I'm also planning on finally reading Band of Brothers so I can then rent the dvds.

There are many Ambrose books worthy of attention: Citizen Soldiers, for example. He captures a time and an attitude long past.

The History Channel has run a BoB marathon occasionally (including this past weekend). Glues me to the chair every time.

wiscodevil
06-02-2008, 06:16 PM

What is the What - http://www.amazon.com/WHAT-Dave-Eggers/dp/0676979491/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1212444963&sr=1-1

Bob Green
06-03-2008, 07:40 PM
I've started a new book: Founding Brothers by Joseph J. Ellis. This book details six events that impacted our young nation. Chapter One describes the deadly duel between Aaron Burr and Alexander Hamilton.

Exiled_Devil
06-03-2008, 11:11 PM
I am reading HOw Designers Think - a book on architect trainig

My pile of books on the shelf to read:
Predictable Irrationality - Dan Arielly (Fuqua Prof)
Elegant Universe -
X Saves the World: How Generation X got the shaft but can still keep everything from sucking -
High-Tech Heretic: Reflections of a Computer Contrarian -
Play: Its Role in Development and Evolution by Jerome S. Bruner; Alison Joll
Banker To The Poor: Micro-Lending and the Battle Against World Poverty -

I'm kind of an eclectic geek

DevilAlumna
06-03-2008, 11:50 PM
X Saves the World: How Generation X got the shaft but can still keep everything from sucking -

Looks like a good list. When you get to this one, will you post a mini-book report? Pretty Please?

cspan37421
06-04-2008, 12:20 AM
I've started a new book: Founding Brothers by Joseph J. Ellis. This book details six events that impacted our young nation. Chapter One describes the deadly duel between Aaron Burr and Alexander Hamilton.

Great book, Pulitzer Winner IIRC. Unfortunate that it was delivered through such a flawed vessel, but it is still a great read.

Has anyone read Postwar by Tony Judt? I've begun that massive tome but yet to decide if it is worth the commitment. So far, so good.

Exiled_Devil
06-04-2008, 08:18 AM
Looks like a good list. When you get to this one, will you post a mini-book report? Pretty Please?

Sure thing. It arrived yesterday, and although I am in the end of another book, I started looking at it briefly. Briefly turned into the introduction and first chapter. It's nonfiction, and the premise intrigues me: Gen X somehow disappeared from media view around December 1999. First we were the slackers who wouldn't fit in with the boomer world, now we are the establishment that needs to adjust for super-duper Gen Y and also the establishment that mus serve Boomers in their dotage.

I should be done in a week or so - I'll write up a full review then.

whereinthehellami
06-04-2008, 08:48 AM
I just read World Without End by Ken Follet, which is something of a sequel to The Pillars of the Earth, though is completely standalone.

I'm currently reading World Without End and find it to be as enjoyable as Pillars of the Earth. Follet does a good job of transporting you back to the dank and dirty days of castles and ruthless politics.

Cavlaw
06-04-2008, 10:45 AM
I should mention for Throaty that I read Cormac McCarthy's The Road last weekend. It was a short, entertaining read with some deep meaning.

Tommac
06-04-2008, 03:32 PM
I just finished reading Term Limits by Vince Flynn (his first) and recently read all of his Mitch Rapp books. I am currently reading A Bridge Too Far by Cornelius Ryan. I also read the Band of Brothers this past year after seeing the HBO dvds. It was really good reading in that I could put a face with the characters as I was reading. I am patiently waiting for Terry Brooks' next book The Gypsy Morph, the third book in his Genesis of Shannara trilogy.

Cavlaw
06-04-2008, 03:41 PM
I just finished reading Term Limits by Vince Flynn (his first) and recently read all of his Mitch Rapp books. I am currently reading A Bridge Too Far by Cornelius Ryan. I also read the Band of Brothers this past year after seeing the HBO dvds. It was really good reading in that I could put a face with the characters as I was reading. I am patiently waiting for Terry Brooks' next book The Gypsy Morph, the third book in his Genesis of Shannara trilogy.
I'm also curious about Gypsy Morph. I was a big fan of Terry's growing up, but did not care for the Voyage of the Jerle Shanarra trilogy or the High Druid trilogy. When I first read Armageddon's Children I thought it was a big step in the right direction for the more concise style he has been working on.

As a random aside, he signed up a couple of copies of that one when he came through Chicago in '06 to be used as prizes for a flash fiction contest I ran on his website.

A-Tex Devil
06-04-2008, 04:36 PM
Read Blindness and now into Seeing by Jose Saramago... Blindness is just a brutal read, but an excellent book. Seeing is not bad so far.

Read Generation Kill in anticipation of what is sure to be an awesome miniseries on HBO later this month. HBO+David Simon+great source material = possibly the best Iraq War movie/miniseries to date.

Also reading my Lonely Planet Honduras in anticipation of my upcoming trip to Roatan!! :)

DevilAlumna
06-04-2008, 08:21 PM
Read Blindness and now into Seeing by Jose Saramago... Blindness is just a brutal read, but an excellent book. Seeing is not bad so far.

Read Generation Kill in anticipation of what is sure to be an awesome miniseries on HBO later this month. HBO+David Simon+great source material = possibly the best Iraq War movie/miniseries to date.

Also reading my Lonely Planet Honduras in anticipation of my upcoming trip to Roatan!! :)

Kudos to you for getting through Blindness -- I gave up.

Roatan rocks, I'm jealous. Great diving. Enjoy your trip!

aimo
06-05-2008, 09:03 AM

One of my anthropology professors from Wake now lives there. If you run into David Evans, tell him one of the Bobbsey Twins says hello!

blublood
06-05-2008, 11:52 AM
I'm reading The History of the American Revolution by Dr. David Ramsay. It's awesome - a first-generation account of the war by someone who lived through it. He gets a little dry at times, but hey, he's a doctor, not a history writer.

For a modern version of the same, I read 1776 which is wonderful.

A-Tex Devil
06-05-2008, 01:28 PM
Kudos to you for getting through Blindness -- I gave up.

Roatan rocks, I'm jealous. Great diving. Enjoy your trip!

Not to thread hijack, but just last night I saw the trailer for Blindness. I can't believe they are making a movie out of it. It's either going to be amazing or uncomfortable to the point of unwatchable.

It has a great cast (Julianne Moore, Mark Ruffalo, Alice Braga, Gael Garcia Bernal, Danny Glover) and a great director (the guy that did City of God and the Constant Gardner), but how do you make a movie out of that book?

ArkieDukie
06-22-2008, 07:58 PM
I just finished reading With (http://www.amazon.com/Donald-Harington/dp/1592640508/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1214178489&sr=8-3), a novel by Donald Harington. He's a regional writer, so most of you probably have not heard of him. His fictional town of Stay More is quite close to where I grew up in the hills of NW AR. With is strangely captivating. It's one of the most bizarre books I've ever read, but I couldn't put it down.

91.92.01DUKE
06-22-2008, 09:32 PM
My school readings are approximately 5th grade level, utterly disappointing at best, thus, I have decided to supplement them with Guns, Germs, & Steel, and Collapse by Jared Diamond, A Soldier of the Great War, The works of Isaac Bashevis Singer, The Catcher in the Rye, The Chosen (Chaim Potok), and maybe some Shakespeare.

DevilAlumna
06-22-2008, 10:42 PM
My school readings are approximately 5th grade level, utterly disappointing at best, thus, I have decided to supplement them with Guns, Germs, & Steel, and Collapse by Jared Diamond, A Soldier of the Great War, The works of Isaac Bashevis Singer, The Catcher in the Rye, The Chosen (Chaim Potok), and maybe some Shakespeare.

By Mark Helprin? Great, great book. One of my favorites. Good story, beautiful prose, and it left me some images that have stuck with me for a long, long time.

Cavlaw
06-25-2008, 09:44 AM
I finished Islands in the Net last week. It finished much better than it started, but was still not a terrific book. I read Heart of Darkness a few days ago, and was surprised that so little action occured in the book Apocalypse Now was based on. I liked it well enough, but didn't think it was terrific.

I'm now reading Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, which is the basis for the movie Blade Runner. Within a couple pages I was hooked. After this one I'll give Paradise Lost a read, followed by Babel-17. The latter might be a good read for Throaty, given the description (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babel-17).

SouthgateWindsor
06-25-2008, 11:03 AM
Just finished People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks.

Now on The Enchantress of Florence by Salman Rushdie.

Cavlaw
07-30-2008, 05:53 PM
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Philip Dick was terrific. I recommend it, and note that its sci-fi premise hasn't gone stale despite the decades of technological innovation since it was penned. After reading it I watched Blade Runner, and was sadly not at all impressed.

I stalled out on Milton's Paradise Lost. It's beautiful, but tough to read. I hope to make my way through it over the next month or two.

In the interim, I read Babel-17 by Sam Delany, and enjoyed it. The scene in which the main character picks out the crew for her ship predates the Star Wars cantina scene, and I think I know where Lucas might have gotten the inspiration. A short volume and not great, but a good summer read.

I'm now working on Ray Bradbury's The Martian Chronicles, and am withholding judgment. The early chapters were... odd. We'll see how it turns out.

dukemomLA
07-31-2008, 04:23 AM
Almost afraid to post here. I am a novel slut (...OMG...will I be censored for that?)

Just finishing the new Clive Cussler and excited to head next to Karin Slaughter's new book. Re-read Grapes of Wrath, Three Musketeers, Les Miserables recently -- a few of my favorites.

I don't have much time for most non-fiction, except for biographies and autobios, and some religious/new age stuff.

I know I'm a low-brow reader. So be it. I read at least 200 books a year -- and if I can get my new granddaughter -- and the kids I tutor in my volunteer work in L.A. -- (...my 'job' is in the arts -- music, drama, etc.) then I don't CARE what they read. Just that they do -- and love the magical places that books can send them.

billybreen
07-31-2008, 09:26 AM
I'm halfway through Pulitzer Prize winner The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao (http://www.amazon.com/Brief-Wondrous-Life-Oscar-Wao/dp/1594489580) by Junot Díaz. I think I would enjoy it more if I knew Spanish and enjoy it less if I didn't get the majority of the geek references, but so far I strongly recommend it.

Devil in the Blue Dress
07-31-2008, 11:57 AM
I'm currently reading again one of my favorites, A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole. It's a Pulitzer Prize winner that's full of entertaining scenes and chock full of meanings on multiple levels. Anyone who's visited NOLA beyond spending a few hours on Bourbon Street will recognize how well the author has presented the different ways the locals speak and he's accomplished this feat without poking fun.

Exiled_Devil
08-01-2008, 04:26 PM
Sure thing. It arrived yesterday, and although I am in the end of another book, I started looking at it briefly. Briefly turned into the introduction and first chapter. It's nonfiction, and the premise intrigues me: Gen X somehow disappeared from media view around December 1999. First we were the slackers who wouldn't fit in with the boomer world, now we are the establishment that needs to adjust for super-duper Gen Y and also the establishment that mus serve Boomers in their dotage.

I should be done in a week or so - I'll write up a full review then.

SO I did finish the book in a week, but got buried otherwise.

The title should read "Gen X - everyone else makes things suck, and heres why. With an appendix about not paying attention to it all."

There was little in the book about how to prevent the suckitude, but it does a good job of describing the rise and fall of Gen X in the media, as well as the what is going on for our generation as we move from disinterested slackers to internet creators to parents and captains of industry.

A worthwhile read, but not life changing. I hoped with the title it would be inspiring, but ends up being just interesting.

DevilAlumna
08-01-2008, 11:51 PM
Seems like Gen X is the hot topic du jour -- I just heard an interview of Lisa Chamberlain, author of "Slackonomics: Generation X in the age of Creative Destruction."

Part of it made me chuckle -- they played a line from Lloyd Dobbler (John Cusack's character in "Say Anything"): "I don't want to sell anything, buy anything, or process anything as a career. I don't want to sell anything bought or processed, or buy anything sold or processed, or process anything sold, bought, or processed, or repair anything sold, bought, or processed. You know, as a career, I don't want to do that."

The author then commented, "Lloyd's probably opened up a kickboxing studio somewhere and is very happy." : )

billybreen
08-01-2008, 11:58 PM
Part of it made me chuckle -- they played a line from Lloyd Dobbler (John Cusack's character in "Say Anything"): "I don't want to sell anything, buy anything, or process anything as a career. I don't want to sell anything bought or processed, or buy anything sold or processed, or process anything sold, bought, or processed, or repair anything sold, bought, or processed. You know, as a career, I don't want to do that."

One of the best lines ever written or read.

Cavlaw
08-27-2008, 09:17 AM
Gypsy Morph was released yesterday, so I read it yesterday. It was ok. It's obviously written in the same abbreviated style that Terry adopted beginning with Ilse Witch, but at the level of refinement of Armageddon's Children. I do think the entire Genesis of Shanarra series is superior to the Voyage series and the High Druid series, but it pales in comparison with his earlier efforts.

Gypsy Morph is probably the second best of this series, with more focus, better writing, and better "showing" of the resolution of plot threads than he provided in Elves of the Cintra, but not as strong a work as Armageddon's Children (which itself was not a masterpiece).

It suffers from an overabundance of Duex Ex Machina moments, a handful of pointless sidetracks, and paper thin emotional development. Not to mention that the biggest threat to the exodus is dealt and overcome in a single paragraph.

Cavlaw
08-27-2008, 09:24 AM
In other news, I finished the Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury, one of the most esteemed Sci Fi books of all time. It was ok. There are some terrific ideas scattered throughout, but much of the writing is elementary and the dialog is painful. You can tell this was Bradbury's first published work, and even among the stories themselves it is painfully obvious which were his earlier efforts and which came later as he refined his craft.

I also read Solaris, by Stanislaw Lem, another highly regarded work of Sci Fi. It had a very interesting premise, but was completely lacking in plot resolution. It also went on excruciatingly long tangents into hard science that, rather than being actual hard science were comprised of completely ficticious analysis of one of his main characters - the alien planet. In all, not a work I would recommend.

Finally, I've almost finished working my way through volume 25 of The Year's Best Science Fiction, an anthology of short stories edited by Gardner Dozois. There are some terrific stories in it this year, but also some dogs that left me scratching my head at their selection. After completing it I'm going to try to slog through Green Mars, by Kim Stanley Robinson. The Mars Trilogy is another well-regarded set of science fiction works, but I was not overly pleased with the first volume, Red Mars. Paradise Lost remains on my nightstand, awaiting my return.

aimo
08-27-2008, 02:31 PM
After allowing myself to lose some brain cells by reading several Patricia Cornwell novels (my summer poolside trash reading), I am now halfway through Ishmael Beah's A Long Way Gone - Memoirs of a Boy Soldier. I saw an interview with him on Good Morning America a couple of weeks ago as this book has just been released in paperback. It is a heartbreaking read. He is so articulate in the way he expresses himself. As I said, I'm only about halfway through.

weezie
08-27-2008, 03:05 PM
I cannot recommend enough that everybody go get a copy of "Stoner" by John Williams. I guarantee no one will be able to read it without shedding a tear at the end, even guys. One of the finest books in American literature. A bit hard to find but well worth the effort.

Also just about to start "City of Thieves," mentioned by the WSJ as a great summer read.

billybreen
08-27-2008, 03:40 PM
I started reading Steven King's Dark Tower series. I think that means it will be on next summer's reading list as well.

2535Miles
08-27-2008, 04:25 PM
I also read Solaris, by Stanislaw Lem, another highly regarded work of Sci Fi. It had a very interesting premise, but was completely lacking in plot resolution. It also went on excruciatingly long tangents into hard science that, rather than being actual hard science were comprised of completely ficticious analysis of one of his main characters - the alien planet. In all, not a work I would recommend.
Perhaps the substance was lost in translation, but I also found that book to be a huge let down.

I'm still reading The Black Swan, putting it down occasionally to thumb through A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson.

YmoBeThere
08-27-2008, 09:10 PM
Anything by Billy Breen has been a must read for me...

But seriously...Black Swan was awhile ago. I've read The Last Lecture, Man's Search for Meaning, and some books on poker. I've definitely kept a light reading load the last few months. Probably because of too many magazine subscriptions.

Devil in the Blue Dress
08-27-2008, 09:36 PM
Just started What Is the What by David Eggers, the first book on the Duke Reads list for the current academic year. So far it's quite compelling and a bit disconcerting. I was reading it in the customer lounge of the service department where I take my car. So good it was hard to put down.

billybreen
08-27-2008, 10:14 PM

Well, if you're reading it all, you're certainly keeping busy. :)

DevilAlumna
08-28-2008, 12:36 AM
I just finished "When You are Engulfed in Flames" by David Sedaris, in audiobook form. I'm a huge fan, so enjoyed this offering thoroughly, but it does have some repeat material from another of his CDs.

He's definitely grown in his storytelling style, adding more insight and tying uncommon mini-stories together through a common thread, instead of going for the big laughs of absurdity and insult. Anyone else here a fan?

2535Miles
08-28-2008, 01:55 AM
I just finished "When You are Engulfed in Flames" by David Sedaris, in audiobook form. I'm a huge fan, so enjoyed this offering thoroughly, but it does have some repeat material from another of his CDs.

He's definitely grown in his storytelling style, adding more insight and tying uncommon mini-stories together through a common thread, instead of going for the big laughs of absurdity and insult. Anyone else here a fan?
David Sedaris is great and probably one of the few audio books I would consider purchasing. I've read Me Talk Pretty One Day, while it was good it didn't come across half as funny as listening to Sedaris on This American Life.

Thanks for posting this, you actually got me to change my opinion on audio books. :)

DevilAlumna
08-28-2008, 03:24 AM
If you haven't already, I strongly urge you to check out his "Live at Carnegie Hall' CD - it has some snort-out-loud funny moments. Hearing the crowd interact with his readings also really adds to the experience.

Both "Me Talk Pretty" and "When You are Engulfed" have a few live readings mixed in as well. (WYAE repeats a story from the Live @ Carnegie performance.)

aimo
08-28-2008, 08:29 AM
I've read just about all of Sedaris's stuff. But the best was when he was promoting Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim a few years ago at Quail Ridge Books in Raleigh. He read aloud the one about the mouse. I was shaking I was laughing so hard. And he is so nice and gracious to his fans. His whole (screwed up) family was there, including his sister Amy.

I'll have to look into his audios.

Cavlaw
08-28-2008, 05:13 PM
I just broke down and bought David Brin's original uplift saga. I expect I'll like it, given that it picked up Nebula and Hugo awards.

2535Miles
01-07-2009, 02:59 PM

But seriously...Black Swan was awhile ago. I've read The Last Lecture, Man's Search for Meaning, and some books on poker. I've definitely kept a light reading load the last few months. Probably because of too many magazine subscriptions.
My father gave me "The Last Lecture" for Christmas. What a wonderful, inspiring book. I won't lie, I cried on the airplane when I finished it.