PDA

View Full Version : Bipartisan couples

Bostondevil
05-23-2008, 04:12 PM
There's an article highlighted on msn.com today with the title "He's a Reblican, You're a Democrat" with a subheading about how couples handle their differences. I didn't read the article. What I noticed is that the guy in the picture is wearing a New York Yankees t-shirt. Forget Republican! A Yankee fan? No way!

(Same goes for Carolina, of course.)

TillyGalore
05-23-2008, 04:17 PM
There's an article highlighted on msn.com today with the title "He's a Reblican, You're a Democrat" with a subheading about how couples handle their differences. I didn't read the article. What I noticed is that the guy in the picture is wearing a New York Yankees t-shirt. Forget Republican! A Yankee fan? No way!

(Same goes for Carolina, of course.)

I dated a guy who was both a Yankee fan and complete opposite of me politically. Should have known early on things wouldn't work based. At least he wasn't a Hole fan. And that is THE only nice thing I can say about him.

ugadevil
05-23-2008, 04:34 PM
I dated a girl who hated Duke. I came to hate her. :D

DukeUsul
05-23-2008, 05:07 PM
I'm a Red Sox fan. It was three years into marriage that my wife finally admitted she'd always been a Yankees fan.

DukePA
05-23-2008, 05:13 PM
As some of you know, my boyfriend is heel. We manage to stay together by following very strict rules:

1. We don't watch Duke/caroina games together.
2. Whose ever team wins is not allowed to rub it in, brag or gloat.
3. The one with the winning team must do something very nice for the other to help take the sting out. He got some nice cigars last season and I got homemade etouffe.
4. The one whose team loses reserves the right to bring the game up. I made him wait a week last year!
5. We don't bad-mouth each other's team in front of each other.

It works pretty well, but I still hate the hell out of unc!!

CameronBornAndBred
05-23-2008, 05:51 PM
I saw that article earlier today, and was thinking on the way home that it was suprising they didn't use Arnold and Maria (The governator and wife). I figured they would be the total poster couple for it.

Bluedog
05-23-2008, 06:12 PM
I saw that article earlier today, and was thinking on the way home that it was suprising they didn't use Arnold and Maria (The governator and wife). I figured they would be the total poster couple for it.

James Carville and Mary Matalin also come to mind. No idea how they get along considering they are both very involved in politics.

SouthgateWindsor
05-23-2008, 08:21 PM
My husband and I have been canceling each other out for the past 3 elections, going on our 4th. :)

Bostondevil
05-24-2008, 08:30 AM
I'm a Red Sox fan. It was three years into marriage that my wife finally admitted she'd always been a Yankees fan.

And you're still married!?! GO SOX!!!

She must not be a very vocal Yankees fan. I suppose that's obvious if it took you more than 3 years to find out. Maybe we can chalk it up to her loving you so much that she didn't tell you right away. OK, you can stay married.

Back when I was single, I always found these things out on the first date.

DukePA, you're a better woman than I, I couldn't do that.

I posted in another thread that if it came to a choice where I had to either wear a Yankees t-shirt or a Carolina t-shirt, it would be the Yankees t-shirt. Nothing Carolina blue touches this body, ever.

DukePA
05-24-2008, 10:07 AM
And you're still married!?! GO SOX!!!

She must not be a very vocal Yankees fan. I suppose that's obvious if it took you more than 3 years to find out. Maybe we can chalk it up to her loving you so much that she didn't tell you right away. OK, you can stay married.

Back when I was single, I always found these things out on the first date.

DukePA, you're a better woman than I, I couldn't do that.

I posted in another thread that if it came to a choice where I had to either wear a Yankees t-shirt or a Carolina t-shirt, it would be the Yankees t-shirt. Nothing Carolina blue touches this body, ever.

Same here. There's no way I could ever, ever wear anything slime blue. I don't know that I'm a better woman. I just love the big goofy guy despite his ridiculous alignment with the jerks in chapel hell. You should hear what goes on in my head when we're watching carolina play. It took everything I had not to run around the house screaming GTHC after we watched Maryland beat them last season. That was sweet!!! Just to be clear, upon waking in the morning my mind sings my favorite line from the Duke fight song: "carolina go to Hell, ES!!"

CathyCA
05-24-2008, 02:46 PM
I was in a "mixed marriage." For 17 years, we were members of different parties. Finally, he couldn't take it anymore and he switched to my party. Now we're divorced. I think we were happier when we were on opposite sides of the political fence.

knights68
05-25-2008, 07:31 PM
I would think being on certain opposing sides would add a certain friction (in a good way) to any relationship.
Religion may be an exception, and money too for that matter.
But politics, sports and the such I would think would be a good thing?!!

My girl and I have similar views on politics with only a few differences (depending on topic). Sporting teams, well, we are much more aligned.
At the end of the day it's all good! :cool: