PDA

View Full Version : Coca-Cola 600/Indy 500 - Weekend Racing

YmoBeThere
05-23-2008, 08:09 AM
I may actually watch parts of the 500 since they reunited the two CART/IRL or whatever they were calling them leagues.

BlueDevilJay
05-23-2008, 08:18 AM
I look forward to this Sunday every year. I'll be at my wife's grandmothers house in Kentucky, with a housefull of rednecks (myself included with my Kurt Busch hat on), watching both races from start to finish. It doesn't sound like much, but it really is a pretty good time shooting the bull with them all day watching for the next wreck.

Bluedawg
05-23-2008, 10:26 AM
I enjoy the NASCAR but can't take the Indy cars. I'll watch the 600!

TillyGalore
05-23-2008, 10:29 AM
Part of me wants Kyle Busch to blow an engine again this week, except that I still have him on my team.

BlueDevilJay - you used to be one of my favorite posters. Now that I know your taste in drivers, I'm not so sure about you . ;)

ANYBODY BUT A BUSCH (ABAB)

Go Jr!!!

Bluedawg
05-23-2008, 10:29 AM
I look forward to this Sunday every year. I'll be at my wife's grandmothers house in Kentucky, with a housefull of rednecks (myself included with my Kurt Busch hat on), watching both races from start to finish. It doesn't sound like much, but it really is a pretty good time shooting the bull with them all day watching for the next wreck.

Looks like the other Bush will be up front on Sunday Busch captures pole (http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/story/1082573.html)

I'm a ROUSH guy myself, so I pull for his cars.

Brian Vickers qualified third, giving Toyota two of the top three spots. Greg Biffle will start fourth, followed by David Ragan and Dale Earnhardt Jr.

Looks like we have two in the top 5 with David Ragan starting to come on strong as Mark's replacement.

arydolphin
05-23-2008, 12:31 PM
If you enjoy all forms of motorsports, don't forget about the crown jewel of the Formula 1 season is also on Sunday. The Monaco Grand Prix is on Sunday morning on Speed Channel, it's simply awesome to watch the F1 cars wind through the narrow city streets of Monaco. Plus, it's a great start to the day, with a little break from brunch before the start of the Indy 500, then move on to the Coca-Cola 600 at the end of the day.

BlueDevilJay
05-23-2008, 12:32 PM
Looks like the other Bush will be up front on Sunday Busch captures pole (http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/story/1082573.html)

I'm a ROUSH guy myself, so I pull for his cars.

Looks like we have two in the top 5 with David Ragan starting to come on strong as Mark's replacement.

See that was me too, I was a Roush guy, my best friend with Kenseth, and me with Kurt. Im still pissed at him for leaving Roush, but I had to make a decision and I decided I started liking him because of the way he drove (I became a fan during the Craven/Busch battle at Darlington, when Craven won) so I didn't figure that would change just because he changed cars. I do still pull for all the Roush racing team members though, but don't claim any of them as my favorites.

And
BlueDevilJay - you used to be one of my favorite posters. Now that I know your taste in drivers, I'm not so sure about you.

Wow....I have a fan? I thought everyone on here hated me (based on the PPB) :) Come on Tilly, surely I can win back your fan loyalty :D . I even have a picture of Jr (in car on track) from Martinsville when I was there that I could send you if you PM me an address to send it to. Its not the most high quality picture, but I was down against the fence right on the track, and took it as he was pulling out of the garage area, directly in front of me. (actually on second thought, Ill post it in an album and then put the link here, but you can PM me if you want the full screen version for a wallpaper or something)

TillyGalore
05-23-2008, 12:34 PM
If you enjoy all forms of motorsports, don't forget about the crown jewel of the Formula 1 season is also on Sunday. The Monaco Grand Prix is on Sunday morning on Speed Channel, it's simply awesome to watch the F1 cars wind through the narrow city streets of Monaco. Plus, it's a great start to the day, with a little break from brunch before the start of the Indy 500, then move on to the Coca-Cola 600 at the end of the day.

I've watched that race before and find it fascinating as it's done on the streets versus a track. I'll try to catch some of it before and/or after church.

BlueDevilJay
05-23-2008, 12:35 PM
http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=4&pictureid=44

There it is. :) See, Jr all the way! Jr #1! :D

As for the Indy, I need to rephrase. We all sit in a room talking with the Indy 500 on the TV but rarely pay attention unless they show Danica Patrick in a bikini or soft core film or something. We are all into it when the 600 comes on though.

TillyGalore
05-23-2008, 12:38 PM
S
Wow....I have a fan? I thought everyone on here hated me (based on the PPB) :) Come on Tilly, surely I can win back your fan loyalty :D . I even have a picture of Jr (in car on track) from Martinsville when I was there that I could send you if you PM me an address to send it to. Its not the most high quality picture, but I was down against the fence right on the track, and took it as he was pulling out of the garage area, directly in front of me. (actually on second thought, Ill post it in an album and then put the link here, but you can PM me if you want the full screen version for a wallpaper or something)

Well, since you're offering up a bribe to win me back, how can I turn you down. But, I still question your ability to pick a driver. Perhaps you route from him as he drives a Duke blue car. If that's the case, well then...

throatybeard
05-23-2008, 05:32 PM
I just want to say that Danica Patrick rules me.

YmoBeThere
05-23-2008, 06:39 PM
Roush? Yuck!

Bluedawg
05-23-2008, 10:05 PM
http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=4&pictureid=44

There it is. :) See, Jr all the way! Jr #1! :D

As for the Indy, I need to rephrase. We all sit in a room talking with the Indy 500 on the TV but rarely pay attention unless they show Danica Patrick in a bikini or soft core film or something. We are all into it when the 600 comes on though.

Actually I'm enjoying his losing streak. Hendrick is my least favorite team. they are the equivalent to UNC to me.

YmoBeThere
05-24-2008, 07:07 AM
Roush = Ford which equals Found on Roadside Dead...and that is what I predict for Sunday

I have been wrong before though.

Well, since I live near Boston, should I soften my stance since it is now Roush-Fenway Racing?

Lavabe
05-24-2008, 09:20 AM
Roush = Ford which equals Found on Roadside Dead...and that is what I predict for Sunday

I have been wrong before though.

Well, since I live near Boston, should I soften my stance since it is now Roush-Fenway Racing?

It's a long race. I normally go with Toyota, but 99 may be on my team this weekend. The Casey/Kasey combo figures prominently in this race.

Cheers,
Lavabe

Bluedawg
05-24-2008, 02:19 PM
Roush = Ford

First On Race Day

Ben63
05-24-2008, 04:49 PM
First On Race Day

First where? To the garage?

BTW I root for Kasey Kahne. Hoping that All Star Race can give him and his team some confidence to move forward the rest of the year.

YmoBeThere
05-25-2008, 09:56 AM
Well, the appointed day is here...I spend Saturday incognito in the basement of Foxwoods terrorizing other patrons at the 2-4 limit table. But my bank account is thankful for the event. Haven't really come up with a game plan yet on how to handle the day's racing...

YmoBeThere
05-25-2008, 03:27 PM
After being forced to an outside line that lead to his wrecking, Tony Kanaan was much more polite than I would have been.

YmoBeThere
05-25-2008, 04:24 PM
Danica Patrick out, she was walking down pit lane like she was going after somebody. Not sure what she was thinking...definitely makes me appreciate TK more.

Bluedawg
05-25-2008, 04:33 PM
Danica Patrick out, she was walking down pit lane like she was going after somebody. Not sure what she was thinking...definitely makes me appreciate TK more.

I'm not really trying to sound sexist....but I just can't help but wonder if she is a driver (http://www.femalefan.com/score/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/danica-patrick.bmp)or a model (http://galleria.motori-online.it/images/danica-patrick-copertina4p.jpg) http://patdollard.com/wp-content/uploads/danica_patrick.jpg?

billybreen
05-25-2008, 04:42 PM
I'm not really trying to sound sexist....but I just can't help but wonder if she is a driver (http://www.femalefan.com/score/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/danica-patrick.bmp)or a model (http://galleria.motori-online.it/images/danica-patrick-copertina4p.jpg) http://patdollard.com/wp-content/uploads/danica_patrick.jpg?

Why can't she be both?

FWIW, I've never watched a motorsports event before, but I TiVoed part of this to put a new TV through its paces (this race looks nice at 42" of 1080i). I saw Danica get taken out, and I would be ready to bust some heads if that happened to me.

YmoBeThere
05-25-2008, 06:47 PM
I missed the actual accident, so don't know if her anger was justified. Sounds like it was. BB, a new motorsports convert if it can be viewed in HD?

If TillyGalore is watching the 600, she must be loving the part where the Busch brothers are fighting it out for the lead...

knights68
05-25-2008, 07:21 PM
Hope the Busch loses out & Hendricks newest young gun (with an assist from Johnson perhaps) take it all!
Jr. Keeps flirting with winning a race, if only he'd ditch Tony Jr!!
Tonight is his best chance to date, hope he pulls it off. Especially shutting out a Busch!

TillyGalore
05-25-2008, 08:43 PM
I missed the actual accident, so don't know if her anger was justified. Sounds like it was. BB, a new motorsports convert if it can be viewed in HD?

If TillyGalore is watching the 600, she must be loving the part where the Busch brothers are fighting it out for the lead...

I saw the Danica incident, and her anger was justified. After she was hit, she was walking down pit lane with her helmet on, but you could see the fire in her eyes. The head of Indy security and an official intervened and gently moved her off the lane and back to her area. I would not want to mess with her.

billybreen
05-25-2008, 08:59 PM

Sadly no. I could only watch a minute or so at a time. Just doesn't do it for me.

Golf looks even nicer than racing in HD, and my family is friends of the Pamplings, so I spent most of the afternoon watching his heartbreaking loss to that Mickelson dude.

YmoBeThere
05-25-2008, 09:03 PM
The head of Indy security and an official intervened and gently moved her off the lane and back to her area. I would not want to mess with her.

I saw the security guy, he could have picked her up and stuck her in his jacket pocket. Mad or not, he was like twice her size, now the driver that knocked her out of the race that is another story.

YmoBeThere
05-25-2008, 09:05 PM
Sadly no. I could only watch a minute or so at a time. Just doesn't do it for me.

Golf looks even nicer than racing in HD, and my family is friends of the Pamplings, so I spent most of the afternoon watching his heartbreaking loss to that Mickelson dude.

Ahh, I completely missed today's action as I was caught up in auto racing. Which is why I like the Saturday night races, lets me watch other sports on Sunday.

YmoBeThere
05-25-2008, 10:23 PM
Kasey Kahne with his first win since 2006. Kyle Busch second but things got confusing on the last lap. Still waiting for the official result. With that said, my night stunk. JJ and Paul Menard blew engines. Ever since I sent out the league stuff, my picking has just stunk. Well, honestly I stunk earlier this year too, but have done decently over the years...

TillyGalore
05-25-2008, 10:33 PM
My drivers finished 2, 3, and 4. Had another good night. :D

YmoBeThere
05-25-2008, 10:49 PM
3 and 5 :) then 39 and 41:(

Channing
05-25-2008, 10:50 PM
vickers and JJ both went out - yuck.

However, Kasey Kahne won and Kyle Busch came in third so hopefully that saves me.

Bluedawg
05-25-2008, 10:51 PM
Why can't she be both?

Because one anna kournikova is enough.

Bluedawg
05-25-2008, 10:57 PM
Mine came in 2, 7, 9, 12. Also a good night. Best part is that Hendrick did not win.

Has Kasey dethroned Jimmy Johnson as the new King of Lowes?

billybreen
05-25-2008, 10:58 PM
Because one anna kournikova is enough.

I don't think one unsuccessful (in competition) attractive female athlete should define the boundaries for future attractive female athletes.

YmoBeThere
05-25-2008, 11:04 PM
Has Kasey dethroned Jimmy Johnson as the new King of Lowes?

Ummm, no?

Lavabe
05-25-2008, 11:29 PM
Ummm, no?

Kasey's 2nd CocaCola 600. Too bad I went with the other Casey who won a CocaCola 600 (CM finished 29th).

What a bizarro final couple of laps. Smoke comes into the pits w/a flat. Edwards, my choice, was looking for 2nd or 3rd, ran out of gas on turn 3 in the final lap, coasted, and finished 9th. And Jr? How bizarre!

So my Ford picks this week did better than my normal Toyota picks.;)

Tilly: Umm, not to dismiss your fine performance this week, but Biffle got second (that was my one good pick). It looks like you had 3, 4, 5. VERY good picking by our leader!

I do agree with you. Danica was doing her best Smoke impersonation, and rightfully so. She probably would have had a spot somewhere between 5 and 9 had she continued. She would have killed him, easily.

Danica's modeling/promoting, along with Helio's dancing/promoting, are what's helped out the Indy circuit. Take them out, and there's little buzz.

Meanwhile, Sarah Fischer's hit of Tony Kanaan was just awful. TK hit the wall, and started drifting down. Unfortunately, Fischer couldn't duck lower, and hit him. It really hurts when you run a small team. The economics are such that I'd be surprised if she made it to the next race. TK is probably annoyed with Marco for helping him push up to the wall.

Hey, who's the new person in the fantasy league?

Cheers,
Lavabe

Lavabe
05-25-2008, 11:32 PM
However, Kasey Kahne won and Kyle Busch came in third so hopefully that saves me.

So early on, they say that Kyle had an alternator problem, and probably wouldn't finish.

Yeah, right!:p

Cheers,
Lavabe

P.S. Jaws playing around with Yao Ming? What's up with THAT!?

YmoBeThere
05-26-2008, 09:12 AM
He posts around here occasionally, so I will let him introduce himself.

Bluedawg
05-26-2008, 10:21 AM
Danica's modeling/promoting, along with Helio's dancing/promoting, are what's helped out the Indy circuit. Take them out, and there's little buzz.

Cheers,
Lavabe

That doesn't say much for the athletic competition on the Indy circuit if the female driver has to strip down to get some "buzz"

Bluedawg
05-26-2008, 10:28 AM
RANK DRIVER POINTS BEHIND
1 Kyle Busch 1690 Leader
2 Jeff Burton 1611 -79
3 Earnhardt Jr. 1556 -134
4 Denny Hamlin 1500 -190
5 Clint Bowyer 1490 -200
6 Jimmie Johnson 1442 -248
7 Carl Edwards 1400 -290
8 Tony Stewart 1397 -293
9 Kevin Harvick 1396 -294
10 Jeff Gordon 1326 -364
11 Greg Biffle 1308 -382
12 David Ragan 1266 -424

http://www.nascar.com/races/cup/2008/data/standings_official.html

Its great to see Jeff Burton up top. And how about David Ragan hanging around in then top 12...a young driver taking over Mark's car.

Can Kyle be stopped??? The 6-7th he will drive in three races at three different tracks

Lavabe
05-26-2008, 10:33 AM
That doesn't say much for the athletic competition on the Indy circuit if the female driver has to strip down to get some "buzz"

Likewise, it doesn't say much for the "athletic competition on the Indy circuit" if Helio has to go on "Dancing With the Stars" to get some buzz. Notice that his dancing partner sang the national anthem?

I think Indy suffered more yesterday just because of the race itself. I have never seen so many yellow flags going on. It was hard to follow.

I'd also say that some of Danica's commercials are pretty decent. I like the one with the young girl racer yesterday. Schmaltzy, but nice.

Overall, I like her the same way I like Tony Stewart. Same attitude. Now if she could just win some more races.

Like it or not, Danica's presence in the race yesterday tapped an audience that wouldn't otherwise watch an Indy race. My wife actually watched motorsports with me for the first time.:D

FWIW, kudos to the ABC crew covering Indy. Some good segments in there.

Cheers,
Lavabe

knights68
05-26-2008, 11:23 AM
Hey, who's the new person in the fantasy league?

Hey gang,

Just a quick note from me. Thought I'd give the fantasy league a go. Never participated in one before. This is gonna be fun!
Knights' knights shall reign superior soon!:D

PS, who is "Jaws"??

Channing
05-26-2008, 11:42 AM
Likewise, it doesn't say much for the "athletic competition on the Indy circuit" if Helio has to go on "Dancing With the Stars" to get some buzz. Notice that his dancing partner sang the national anthem?

I think Indy suffered more yesterday just because of the race itself. I have never seen so many yellow flags going on. It was hard to follow.

I'd also say that some of Danica's commercials are pretty decent. I like the one with the young girl racer yesterday. Schmaltzy, but nice.

Overall, I like her the same way I like Tony Stewart. Same attitude. Now if she could just win some more races.

Like it or not, Danica's presence in the race yesterday tapped an audience that wouldn't otherwise watch an Indy race. My wife actually watched motorsports with me for the first time.:D

FWIW, kudos to the ABC crew covering Indy. Some good segments in there.

Cheers,
Lavabe

The Indy circuit was relegated to 3rd or 4th tier status when they split over a decade ago. The two separate circuits meandered along but never really amounted to much. Now that they are back they need whatever they can get to get people to start watching their races again - if it takes gimmicks marketing ploys, so be it.

Lavabe
05-26-2008, 03:50 PM
Hey gang,

Just a quick note from me. Thought I'd give the fantasy league a go. Never participated in one before. This is gonna be fun!
Knights' knights shall reign superior soon!:D

PS, who is "Jaws"??

The vocal (but no longer racing) Mr. Waltrip (I believe Hubby nicknamed him).

I've never participated in one as well. I think my knowledge of the sport is pretty much reflected in the standings.:o

The weird thing is ... my dentist got to talking about his fantasy picks the other day while examining me.

Why is it that dentists try to hold a conversation with you when they don't want you to move your mouth?:)

Cheers,
Lavabe

TillyGalore
05-26-2008, 04:59 PM
Knights68 is also my boyfriend. He introduced me to NASCAR a few years ago, and I introduced him to Fantasy Auto Racing. Should be fun for our relationship.:)

Bluedawg
05-27-2008, 09:03 AM
Kyle Bush presser....

http://www.wral.com/sports/video/2929418/