PDA

View Full Version : Sweat in Eyes Producing Foggy Vision

EarlJam
05-19-2008, 11:14 AM
What is this? Is it normal?

It's happened a few times before. I played softball yesterday. Sweat/salt got in my right eye and about 30 minutes later, my vision in that eye became foggy. Think, breathing on a window and looking through it. And when I'd look at a light, I got a rainbow halo effect around the light. I was practically blind in that eye and it didn't go away for about six hours.

I tried flushing the eye and using drops but it didn't clear things up immediately.

What the hey? Anyone in the know here?

-EarlJam

Shammrog
05-19-2008, 11:19 AM
What is this? Is it normal?

It's happened a few times before. I played softball yesterday. Sweat/salt got in my right eye and about 30 minutes later, my vision in that eye became foggy. Think, breathing on a window and looking through it. And when I'd look at a light, I got a rainbow halo effect around the light. I was practically blind in that eye and it didn't go away for about six hours.

I tried flushing the eye and using drops but it didn't clear things up immediately.

What the hey? Anyone in the know here?

-EarlJam

I have had that happen; not sure if its irritation, or just salt/cloudiness from the sweat. I think it is normal.

EarlJam
05-19-2008, 11:24 AM
I have had that happen; not sure if its irritation, or just salt/cloudiness from the sweat. I think it is normal.

And it lasted for a long time (hours?). It has all the symptoms of cataracts (sp) but I know it's not that. Only happens when sweat gets in my eyes.

Shammrog
05-19-2008, 11:42 AM
And it lasted for a long time (hours?). It has all the symptoms of cataracts (sp) but I know it's not that. Only happens when sweat gets in my eyes.

Hmmm. In your case, I suggest antibiotics. MEGA-DOSES of antibiotics...

bdh21
05-19-2008, 01:24 PM
Sweat/salt got in my right eye and about 30 minutes later, my vision in that eye became foggy. Think, breathing on a window and looking through it.

That's weird, the opposite happens to me. I wear contacts and I've consistently noticed that when sweat gets into my eyes they still a little bit, but I am able to pick out small details on objects much farther that I would normally be able to.

EarlJam
05-19-2008, 01:26 PM
I don't like what the @#$@#! I'm hearing in these responses. :confused:

Lavabe
05-19-2008, 02:03 PM
I don't like what the @#$@#! I'm hearing in these responses. :confused:

Dude, there's one obvious solution. Can you say Slick Watts?

http://www.nba.com/media/sonics/slick_295_051110.jpg
Whoops, maybe the solution involves TWO things.:D
Cheers,
Lavabe

Lavabe
05-19-2008, 02:17 PM
Face facts, an ounce of prevention might help out. A headband would work just fine.

Seriously: As you are going on a trip shortly, and this bugs you, you might consider calling up your eye doctor (assuming you're covered by insurance). If this is the first time it's ever happened, or if you can't recall the last time you've seen an eye doctor, you'd probably be wise to get a check-up. COULDN'T HURT!

I never thought much of Slick Watts, until the first time I played tennis without a headband. Slick was right!

Don't shave your hair ... just yet!:)

Good luck,
Lavabe

BlueDevilBaby
05-19-2008, 02:25 PM
How about some Kareem goggles?

EarlJam
05-19-2008, 03:39 PM
I just don't understand for the life of me how a little water, salt, and one little hit of acid (and a vodka) can cause that reaction.

Oh well. I'll definitely get it checked out.

-EJ

DevilAlumna
05-19-2008, 04:09 PM
I don't know how many times I've told you, EJ, but just because it claims to be "waterproof" mascara, doesn't mean it won't rub off into your eyes.

Same with the moisturizer, foundation makeup, and some eyeliners. You really should upgrade your line of cosmetics. :eek:

Shammrog
05-19-2008, 04:21 PM
I don't know how many times I've told you, EJ, but just because it claims to be "waterproof" mascara, doesn't mean it won't rub off into your eyes.

Same with the moisturizer, foundation makeup, and some eyeliners. You really should upgrade your line of cosmetics. :eek:

(YummyAlumny - can you specify a location in the "beaches" thread for our ilicit rendezvous? Then we can figure out how to get sweat in our eyes.)

Thanks! Shammrog.

2535Miles
05-19-2008, 04:58 PM
As far as prevention goes: get the headband. I have a shaved head and used to wear one when I played racquetball. It made a world of difference. As far as the Foggy Vision is concerned, I know this doctor in San Diego and this collective of growers...

HoganLake
05-20-2008, 01:49 PM
That happened to me once as well, except I was outside trying to clean up after a hurricane hit. My power was on so when I woke up, I took a shower and put gel in my hair and headed out to clean up the neighborhood. It was still raining outside and the gel from my hair ran into my eyes causing the foggy vision.

If you are as vain as I am, you probably using some kind of hair product that might be running into your eyes along with the sweat.