PDA

View Full Version : Bumper Repair

IamMatt'sUserName
05-16-2008, 04:13 PM
One of my vehicles (a Toyota Highlander, in case it matters) has a crack in the bumper, which is the result of backing it into some sort of parking post/barrier thing. The crack is about 3" in length. Is there any way I can repair this myself or will I have to take it to a body shop?

I'm not too concerned about aesthetics, as it's 6+ years old.

It almost seems like the combination of glue/epoxy and a clamp would work, but this community is so insightful I'd be curious to know if there is a better way.

Thanks for any advice you might have.

HaveFunExpectToWin
05-16-2008, 04:25 PM
Hey wired,

I know very little about this, so I'd go to an advance auto parts or somewhere like that and ask them. Perhaps a local body shop might be able to fix this at a reasonable cost.

2535Miles
05-16-2008, 04:35 PM
Assuming you're talking about plastic?
3M™ Automix™ Plastic and Bumper Repair (http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/3MAutomotive/Aftermarket/Products/Product-Catalog/?PC_7_RJH9U5230GE3E02LECFTDQCEK3_nid=GSRBDQRS68be6 DTWTJQPBBgl)
I've never used the stuff but hey, what's the worst you can do?

Jmac1970
05-16-2008, 04:43 PM
I recently barely scratched the bumper of my 2007 Subaru WRX (noticeable only if you walk right up to it). I went to 3 repair shops for estimates and was quoted about $600 at each. There was no crack, just a scratch. Needless to say I just used $14 touch up paint. I suspect that it would cost you maybe twice that.

If you are worried about safety, the bumper itself lies below that plastic shell that was cracked. When I talked to the repair shop they told me that the safety of my car was not compromised and I suspect that is true for you as well.

OZZIE4DUKE
05-16-2008, 05:31 PM
I recently barely scratched the bumper of my 2007 Subaru WRX (noticeable only if you walk right up to it). I went to 3 repair shops for estimates and was quoted about $600 at each. There was no crack, just a scratch. Needless to say I just used $14 touch up paint. I suspect that it would cost you maybe twice that.

If you are worried about safety, the bumper itself lies below that plastic shell that was cracked. When I talked to the repair shop they told me that the safety of my car was not compromised and I suspect that is true for you as well.

If you live anywhere near the Triangle, I've got a guy here in Smithfield who does amazing work very reasonably. He does the used car body repairs for a big local dealer (as opposed to their regular on site body shop that would charge an arm and a leg for the same work). He completely refinished the rear bumper on the Maxima I used to have for less than $100 (3 years ago), and you couldn't tell it wasn't new.

Jmac1970
05-17-2008, 04:00 PM
If you live anywhere near the Triangle, I've got a guy here in Smithfield who does amazing work very reasonably. He does the used car body repairs for a big local dealer (as opposed to their regular on site body shop that would charge an arm and a leg for the same work). He completely refinished the rear bumper on the Maxima I used to have for less than $100 (3 years ago), and you couldn't tell it wasn't new.

Thanks Ozzie. I wish I could but I moved from Cary to Minneapolis 3 years ago for a fellowship. I am hoping to get back to the Triangle in the nest few years. It would be good to know someone who can make repairs for cheap. You might hear from me eventually.