PDA

View Full Version : Lost last night (5/15)

blublood
05-16-2008, 10:38 AM
So what do we think? As far as I could tell, not much actually happened. A lot of it, of course, was set-up for the finale, but still pretty uneventful. Sun buys a controlling interest in her father's company.... uh, o.k. Ben gives himself up so Locke can move the island... o.k. The Others capture Kate and Sayid in the jungle like they have about 2,000 times before... o.k.

The only intriguing thing to me was the timing and the drama of Jack finding out about Claire. That was one scene where you can really see the difference in the Lost of the past and these hurry-up scripts. A lot of the subtlety that I personally love so much about the show has been sacrificed. I mean, come on, we all knew who the Australian woman was, why she was there, and what she was going to say. We didn't need, "Her name..... (long, dramatic pause)... was Claire."

JasonEvans
05-16-2008, 10:49 AM
Holy #@^@&@*&!!!

So, we know that Jack, Kate, Sayid, Hurley, Sun, and Aaron are all making it off the island in the next episode (at least that is what we have been told) but they are currently in 4 different locations!!!

Jack is in the jungle heading toward the Orchid. Saywyer, who does not get off the island, is with him.
Kate and Sayid are in the jungle captured by The Others. I have no idea where they are going-- to "the Temple" perhaps?
Hurley is at the Orchid with Locke, who does not get off the island.
Sun and Aaron are on the frieghter with several other characters, including Jin, who do not get off the island.

How on Earth are they going to get all the Oceanic 6 together in one place without so many of the other characters? It seems they will get off in a boat of some sort, but why would Jack take a boat off the island without so many other people. Why wouldn't Jin be on the boat before Jack? There are at least a dozen people who would leave before Jack and Sayid, the two heroes of the group, would depart.

Wow-- 2 hours left and I can't wait to see where they take us!

Other stuff--

Sun using her Oceanic settlement to buy a controlling interest in her father's company is idiotic. No way her settlement was big enough to do that. They should have had her comment that she also put the money her father had given her over the years to good use or maybe say, "I have a friend who won the lottery-- he didn't mind loaning me some money." The notion that the settlement she got from Oceanic was big enough to buy Paik Heavy Industry is absurd. Are we supposed to believe that Oceanic gave her a $100 million+ settlement? No way!

I was looking forward to seeing Ben kick some butt against Keamy's men. Bummer! I wanted Ben to say something to Locke like, "They need to take me alive, John. That gives me an advantage... because I want them all dead." That woulda been cool. He should have kept his telescoping baton too, and taken out some dudes with it. As Ben was walking off to get captured, my wife said, "he's the best character on this show." I agree.

The biggest thing I want to find out in the next episode is -- why are the Oceanic 6 lying? What are they covering up? To me, that is the key question that I think will get answered in the season finale... I hope.

I want to know what is going to happen to Daniel and Charlotte. Dan sure as heck wants to get off the island. He knows something bad is going to happen at the Orchid station. I think that moving the island is a really bad thing. I am betting there are a couple places on the island where you are safe if the island is moved and everyone else is in bad shape when it happens. Perhaps the island moved but the people on it do not... one minute you are on dry land and the next you are in the middle of the ocean. Hmmmm.

There is little question in my mind that the freighter is gonna blow. Sun and Aaron will get off. I am betting that Desmond makes it off too. Everyone else, including Michael probably, are going up in a biiig blast-- especially the "red shirts" (the other survivors who are now on the frieghter).

I love that Jack now knows that he is Aaron's uncle and that Claire is his sister. His recoil at that was great. Utterly speechless.

It was nice to get the numbers again-- even though it was sorta silly. you can see why Hurley is going crazy though.

--Jason "oh so eager for the finale... even if it marks an 8 month hiatus for Lost!" Evans

Jfrosh
05-16-2008, 10:53 AM
I enjoyed the episode, but agree that it was mostly just a set up for the season finale. Which I can't believe I have to wait 2 weeks for. We actually had more scenes off the island than on it, which is a little disappointing as the island is my favorite character. The numbers remain significant as they show up on Hurleys odometer. "Jesus is not a weapon" I love Hurleys whole family.

JasonEvans
05-16-2008, 10:54 AM
For those of you who do not know, DarkUFO, which is the best Lost site around, has gotten what is apparently an extensive spoiler of the season 4final episode. Last year, DarkUFO had the spoiler which said that the Jack flashbacks were actually a flash forward and that he would end up talking to Kate at the end of the episode. The same person who gave DarkUFO that spoiler is the person who has given him this spoiler for the end of Season 4.

I usually like spoilers, but I am not going to read this one. I want the show to wash across me as the producers intend it to, not with me knowing what is coming.

I post this note as a warning to all of you. I am sure there will be other websites that will have the spoilers up and available, probably copying them from DarkUFO. I warn all of you to be careful as you surf. I also ask that if you find out what happens, do not post it here as, even if it is an accident, I don't want to find out before 11pm on Thursday the 29th.

-Jason "thanks... now I am sure many of you will scurry off to DarkUFO to read all about it" Evans

onepresent
05-16-2008, 10:55 AM
To me, the arrival of Richard Alpert and his clan was the highlight of this partial episode.

JasonEvans
05-16-2008, 10:59 AM
To me, the arrival of Richard Alpert and his clan was the highlight of this partial episode.

Did you notice that they are back to wearing ancient-looking, tattered clothing? "Back to nature," so to speak, after leaving Othertown wearing very contemporary clothing.

-Jason "I think Richard really prefers 'the old ways' versus being modern" Evans

ChrisP
05-16-2008, 11:16 AM
I said after the last "flash forward" to Jack and Kate living together that Jack KNEW he was Aaron's uncle. When he and Kate were arguing, Jack said something to the effect that "you're not even related to him". A few people shot me down on that theory but...I told ya so! :)

I agree with the other poster that the way they handled that "reveal" after the funeral was ham-handed by Lost standards, but I'm glad that one of the many mysterious connections between the Lostaways has been established. That's something we fans seem to take for granted now (the interrelatedness of so many characters prior to boarding Oceanic 815) but I think it plays a MAJOR role in whatever secret(s) is/are ultimately revealed about the island and in the mythology of this show. At least I hope so - to come down to the end of it and find out it was just all the result of several coincidences would be really, really LAME. But, so far, Lost has been far from lame, so I'm betting that's not the case.

onepresent
05-16-2008, 11:17 AM
Did you notice that they are back to wearing ancient-looking, tattered clothing? "Back to nature," so to speak, after leaving Othertown wearing very contemporary clothing.

Interesting.

In season 2(?) it was revealed that "Tom" and the others were wearing tattered clothing as a costume. Do you think this is the case here?

2535Miles
05-16-2008, 11:35 AM
The notion that the settlement she got from Oceanic was big enough to buy Paik Heavy Industry is absurd. Are we supposed to believe that Oceanic gave her a $100 million+ settlement? No way!
Totally agreed, although I am a fan of her sticking it to the old man on Jin's behalf.

As Ben was walking off to get captured, my wife said, "he's the best character on this show." I agree.
Me too. Hurley comes in a close second for me.

Perhaps the island moved but the people on it do not... one minute you are on dry land and the next you are in the middle of the ocean. Hmmmm.
Talk about a sick twist for those who want to "get off the island".

There is little question in my mind that the freighter is gonna blow. Sun and Aaron will get off. I am betting that Desmond makes it off too. Everyone else, including Michael probably, are going up in a biiig blast-- especially the "red shirts" (the other survivors who are now on the frieghter).
I think Desmond has to make it off too. His role has expanded greatly thanks to Mr. Whidmore > Ben > Sayid > Penny. I'm looking forward to seeing how the dynamic between them plays out.

I love that Jack now knows that he is Aaron's uncle and that Claire is his sister. His recoil at that was great. Utterly speechless.
I think that scene was one of Matthew Fox's best performances on this show. I was getting really sick and tired of his self-destructive, self-loathing, blah blah blah problems. It was refreshing to see him show some real emotion.

JasonEvans
05-16-2008, 11:55 AM
Interesting.

In season 2(?) it was revealed that "Tom" and the others were wearing tattered clothing as a costume. Do you think this is the case here?

Nope, can't be because Kate and Sayid have seen the Others in regular clothes several times. Recall that Kate was a captive of the Others for several days back when she was being held on the 2nd island.

--Jason "Richard does not approve of Ben's modern ways" Evans

HaveFunExpectToWin
05-16-2008, 02:10 PM
Was I the only dork out there that immediately blurted out "Ensign Ro" when the Ocenanic rep first showed up on screen?

OZZIE4DUKE
05-16-2008, 02:17 PM
Everyone else, including Michael probably, are going up in a biiig blast-- especially the "red shirts" (the other survivors who are now on the freighter).
Evans

Nice Star Trek reference! And yes, I agree with you. That is A LOT of C4.

OZZIE4DUKE
05-16-2008, 02:23 PM
Was I the only dork out there that immediately blurted out "Ensign Ro" when the Ocenanic rep first showed up on screen?

Recognized her, but couldn't place her. A second S T (NG) bit placed in the episode. Too bad the registration number on the boat (or helicopter) isn't NCC-1701

BlueDevilBaby
05-16-2008, 02:44 PM
I'm thinking somehow the six end up in the zodiac offshore, the boat goes kablewee, and the island disappears before their eyes. Could moving the island mean moving it in time rather than location? So many possibilities. My head hurts.

JasonEvans
05-16-2008, 03:15 PM
I'm thinking somehow the six end up in the zodiac offshore, the boat goes kablewee, and the island disappears before their eyes. Could moving the island mean moving it in time rather than location? So many possibilities. My head hurts.

Yup, I am thinking that makes sense...

... but one thing is missing. Recall that they all decide that it is for the best if they lie to everyone about what really happened. Something must happen to convince them to make up the crazy story about living on one island and then going to another island and everyone else being dead. And whatever it is that convinces them, there is tremendous guilt that comes with it -- enough to drive Jack to try suicide and make Hurley crazy.

-Jason "2 weeks... I cannot wait 2 weeks!!" Evans

BlueDevilBaby
05-16-2008, 03:20 PM
^Perhaps because they know Whidmore is looking for the island (Ben, "You'll never find it.") and continues to pose a threat to those who remained behind.

alteran
05-16-2008, 04:03 PM

More than that, she's Admiral Cain (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helena_Cain)! Michelle Forbes is like the second lady of kickass science fiction chicks. (The first being, of course, Sigourney Weaver. Seriously, you almost feel sorry for the Aliens.)

MarineTwinsDad
05-16-2008, 04:21 PM
Something said here triggered a thought: there are already two islands. How will that affect the change in position of the main island? Is there even anyone staying on that other island anymore?

As much as everyone posting here seems to want to see how it all wraps up for this season, I wonder what will be coming up next year. Ben has already been seen with Whidmore bringing up the change in rules, after his "daughter" was killed. Personally, I'm very bored with Jack's character now, and just don't find anything that comes out of his mouth to be interesting. One oddity: the apparent age of the baby, from the time of the Oceanic 6's arrival at home, to what we saw after Kate's trial. He's walking around, and seems to be about three years old.

As far as Jack walking around after having his appendix out: I had an undiagnosed burst appendix for seven weeks in Papua New Guinea. When I finally made it to a hospital on Guam, I was released two days after they operated - and was walking around - and wasn't bleeding.

So where does it all go? What's left, after the six get off the island? I really don't care what happens to Jack, and Hurley has become unsympathetic as well. Kate? Not sure she's all that interesting anymore. Unless the island is somehow back in the story, what is the point to continuing the story? It would be interesting to see more on Sayid and Desmond, but their stories are really more peripheral.

2535Miles
05-16-2008, 04:40 PM
As far as Jack walking around after having his appendix out: I had an undiagnosed burst appendix for seven weeks in Papua New Guinea. When I finally made it to a hospital on Guam, I was released two days after they operated - and was walking around - and wasn't bleeding.
Yes but you weren't operated on by a fertility doctor, in a hut, on a beach. Wait, you were in Guam, I could be wrong. :p

jimbonelson
05-16-2008, 10:42 PM
2ND week in a row that he has said to someone that he promises to get ever body off island

JasonEvans
05-17-2008, 06:54 AM
Something said here triggered a thought: there are already two islands. How will that affect the change in position of the main island? Is there even anyone staying on that other island anymore?
I think the other island would go with the main island. I am guessing that the main island has been moved before -- Ben seems to know how to do it and what the consequences are. Recall that the other island has a full Dharma station on it (the Hydra) which says to me that it goes along with the main island in a move.

I am not sure if anyone else is still on the Hydra, but there are some yummy fishbiscuits there if you get stranded all alone on that sucker.

As much as everyone posting here seems to want to see how it all wraps up for this season, I wonder what will be coming up next year. Ben has already been seen with Whidmore bringing up the change in rules, after his "daughter" was killed. Personally, I'm very bored with Jack's character now, and just don't find anything that comes out of his mouth to be interesting. One oddity: the apparent age of the baby, from the time of the Oceanic 6's arrival at home, to what we saw after Kate's trial. He's walking around, and seems to be about three years old.

I agree that the age of Kate's baby is a really problematic thing for the Oceanic 6 and the credibility of their story. Perhaps we will get hints of people who doubt the Oceanic 6's story in future episodes -- I think a ranting investigative reporter from a tabloid would be a somewhat fun sideshow in a future "flashforward."

Aaron being Kate's baby and Sun buying her father's company with the Oceanic settlement are the two most logically inconsistent things that have happened this season.

Worth noting-- the normal rules of medicine don't really apply on the island. If Rose's cancer, Jin's infertility, and Locke's paralysis can instantly be cured, I think Jack's stitches are a pretty minor concern ;)

So where does it all go? What's left, after the six get off the island? I really don't care what happens to Jack, and Hurley has become unsympathetic as well. Kate? Not sure she's all that interesting anymore. Unless the island is somehow back in the story, what is the point to continuing the story? It would be interesting to see more on Sayid and Desmond, but their stories are really more peripheral.

Of course the Island is still in the story!! The producers say this is what (http://www.nypost.com/seven/02242008/tv/10_reasons_why_lost_is_found_98856.htm?page=0) to expect going forward--

"Season 4 is about who gets off the island and the fact that they need to get back. Season 5 is about why they need to get back, and season 6 is about what happens when they get back." -- Damon Lindelof

I am sure we will see more of what is going on with Locke, Juliet, Sawyer, Ben and the Others on the Island in coming seasons -- certain of it! I am betting other characters we've been following are still on the island, like Rose and Bernard. I think Desmond is probably still on the island and I won't be at all surprised if most of the freighter crew, Charlotte and Daniel especially, are still there. It is clear to me that the freighter is not the way the Oceanic 6 are getting off the island (the freighter is going to be blown sky high, don't ya'll think?) so the folks who are not on the freighter when it blows have to go somewhere.

--Jason "I do wonder a bit about how the island stories will feel minus Jack, Hurley, Sayid, and Kate -- who have been real mainstays in just about every island storyline" Evans

Jmac1970
05-17-2008, 03:56 PM
I agree with Jason that the freighter is done for. It occurred to me that the show made a point of showing Mr. Kimi (the head special forces guy) strapping what looked like a radio receiver onto his upper arm. I think that this is a remote detonator for the C4 in the boat. If so, it will be interesting to see how that plays out especially with the time differential between the boat and the island.

JasonEvans
05-17-2008, 04:59 PM
I agree with Jason that the freighter is done for. It occurred to me that the show made a point of showing Mr. Kimi (the head special forces guy) strapping what looked like a radio receiver onto his upper arm. I think that this is a remote detonator for the C4 in the boat. If so, it will be interesting to see how that plays out especially with the time differential between the boat and the island.

Ohhh- the time differential. Hmmmm. I wonder if this will allow someone on the island to warn the folks on the freighter that it is about to blow.

--Jason "what happened to Desmond's visions of the future this season? Did they stop when Charlie died?" Evans

Pacer
05-17-2008, 05:29 PM
"what happened to Desmond's visions of the future this season? Did they stop when Charlie died?"

I inferred that it was part of the consciousness jumping that was exacerbated by leaving the island.... which was alleviated by finding his constant.

Exiled_Devil
05-18-2008, 12:18 AM
More than that, she's Admiral Cain (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helena_Cain)! Michelle Forbes is like the second lady of kickass science fiction chicks. (The first being, of course, Sigourney Weaver. Seriously, you almost feel sorry for the Aliens.)

I was right there with you, thinking "Admiral Cain" but I don't know about Sigourney - I may have to suggest Lucy Lawless. Not only Xena, but also a soon-to-unboxed Number 3.

Sigourney is cool and all, but only had one major scifi role. I think the epanse of a couple of roles outdoes her.

JasonEvans
05-18-2008, 07:08 AM
I inferred that it was part of the consciousness jumping that was exacerbated by leaving the island.... which was alleviated by finding his constant.

Yeah, maybe, but that was jumping into his past while these events were jumping into the future... a future that could be changed. I just thought it was a cool plot devise and I liked the way they used it.

--Jason "I want Desmond to see the freighter blowing up so he and Sun can get off just in time" Evans

johnb
05-19-2008, 09:29 AM
I'd like Kimi to detonate the C4 and then go back to the boat to figure out why it didn't work, just in time for Sun, Aaron, and Desmond to get off in the helicopter and for us to see a big explosion. I worry that the chopper pilot has enough self sacrifice on his face that he might just die for the child or something, which worries me only because I kind of like his character.

Hmmm. I am slowly agreeing that some of the original characters are getting a bit routine. Not Ben or Locke, of course, who continue to surprise, but the idea of watching the gang in suburbia seems boring. I'm also not too thrilled about how the writers are handling normal life: seems to me that the outside world is all about complete devastation (pauper's funeral; death of loved one; psych hospital) or life without limits (mostly about money--too many people from the island seem to have infinite cash--but even about airline tickets). Those seem like tricks from amateur writers, especially in contrast to the complexity of the island, and in contrast to the reality that the writers and producers have a lot of money, thereby having had experience enough not to have to throw in adolescent fantasies about expensive golf courses and corporate takeovers. Further, they should probably have some idea that while the (apparent) mothers of Aaron and John Locke were beautiful, neither could be quite so svelte just prior to delivery.

blublood
05-19-2008, 09:41 AM
Perhaps we will get hints of people who doubt the Oceanic 6's story in future episodes -- I think a ranting investigative reporter from a tabloid would be a somewhat fun sideshow in a future "flashforward."

Aaron being Kate's baby and Sun buying her father's company with the Oceanic settlement are the two most logically inconsistent things that have happened this season.

Yeah, you sort of got a hint of that with the dude's question in the press conference. He asked very specifically, "So your son is how old?... So that would have made you 6 months pregnant when you were apprehended?" before the Oceanic rep cut him off.

That really should become a point of contention in the seasons going forward or the show loses a lot of credibility. Heck, even I could tell that baby was older than 5 weeks and I was watching from TV land.

I can only assume that Sun having a stake in her father's company is important in future episodes or else that scene was totally pointless. She may become a player in the same way Penny is since Paik was involved with financing Hanso at one point. (wow, if you don't watch Lost, that sentence would have made no sense whatsoever)

JasonEvans
05-19-2008, 11:20 AM
I can only assume that Sun having a stake in her father's company is important in future episodes or else that scene was totally pointless. She may become a player in the same way Penny is since Paik was involved with financing Hanso at one point. (wow, if you don't watch Lost, that sentence would have made no sense whatsoever)

I wonder if that is how the Oceanic 6 will get back to the island? Sun will be able to find out stuff about the island and how to get there as she investigates her father's company's connection to Dharma.

-Jason "I am not sure we need an investigative reporter storyline-- some casual mention of people being skeptical would be enough" Evans

Clipsfan
05-19-2008, 03:00 PM
Ohhh- the time differential. Hmmmm. I wonder if this will allow someone on the island to warn the folks on the freighter that it is about to blow.

--Jason "what happened to Desmond's visions of the future this season? Did they stop when Charlie died?" Evans

The thing is, the radio signals don't seem to be affected by the time difference (hence the ability to talk to the people on the boat etc.) The time difference has influenced physical items, such as the body of the doctor and the probes which Daniel sent. However, the probes took longer than they should have to arrive on the island and the doctor's body appeared before he was actually killed (and well before the helicopter which left shortly after his death) so the time effect varies.

alteran
05-20-2008, 09:35 AM
The thing is, the radio signals don't seem to be affected by the time difference (hence the ability to talk to the people on the boat etc.) The time difference has influenced physical items, such as the body of the doctor and the probes which Daniel sent. However, the probes took longer than they should have to arrive on the island and the doctor's body appeared before he was actually killed (and well before the helicopter which left shortly after his death) so the time effect varies.

We don't actually KNOW that radio waves are immune.

We THINK because there's a conversation going back and forth on radios that they're happening at the same time at both locations, but if radio waves follow the equivalent of a vector (and these are satellite phones, so they're fairly "vectorous") the conversation could be going back and forth through time.

For example, when Faraday asked the freighter to shoot the probe, we interpreted that as the probe being sent instantaneously, then being pushed forward through time 28 minutes (or whatever). However, it could also be that when Faraday called the boat, his conversation went FORWARD 28 minutes, and the responses, going through the same "vector," went BACKWARD 28 minutes, making them flow normally-- while the probe experienced no time fluctuation at all.

Of course, the probe AND the conversation could be having fluctuations. Argh.

I recommend watching way too much Star Trek if you want to get a handle on EVERY POSSIBLE PERMUTATION of time distortion-- those people muck around in the time stream the way most of us go out for coffee. ;)

Bottom line, there COULD BE a time shift on the radio broadcasts (and maybe the show has already established that it is 28 minutes with the probe-- in fact, that may have been the primary plot point of the probe).

If that's the case, all bets are off.

blublood
05-20-2008, 10:13 AM
How sad is it that I spent a significant part of my downtime at work yesterday (and since it's summer and everyone's on vacation, that's about 7.5 out of 8 hours) reading Lost scripts? Not even watching Lost - just reading the stupid scripts.

In my defense, the scripts do have a lot of commentary that doesn't quite get conveyed in acting out the show. For instance, the scene was Jin and Sun when she was about to leave him in the Sydney airport was touching for sure, but I didn't quite pick up on the fact that she stayed for a chance at redemption, not out of guilt.

JasonEvans
05-20-2008, 10:30 AM
Bottom line, there COULD BE a time shift on the radio broadcasts (and maybe the show has already established that it is 28 minutes with the probe-- in fact, that may have been the primary plot point of the probe).

If that's the case, all bets are off.

It is clear to me that the time shifts are not constant. After all, the doctor's body and the doctor's death were several days apart and it took his body some time to get to the island. So, the time shift was 28 minutes for the probe but several days for the doctor's death.

To me, there almost has to be a moment where Keamy hits the button to blow up the boat and then the Oceanic 6 (minus Sun and Aaron) fly off the island and actually see the boat not exploded yet and they rescue some of the folks on the boat before it blows up. Perhaps there is not enough room on the copter to save everyone and Jin forces Sun to leave while he stays behind to sacrifice himself (thus Sun would blame Keamy for his death or maybe Ben for not stopping Keamy... I dunno).

-Jason "is it next Thursday yet?" Evans

budwom
05-20-2008, 01:23 PM
I'm sick of the bye-bee. But it seems like we're stuck with it.

Truth
05-20-2008, 01:25 PM

The what??? :confused:

budwom
05-20-2008, 01:50 PM
Claire was incessantly running around screeching that "I cain't find my bye-bee!" I believe it's Australian for those little squawking things that wear diapers.

dukeblueyes
05-20-2008, 03:02 PM
Maybe the dingo ate your baby.

budwom
05-20-2008, 03:09 PM
Maybe the dingo ate your baby.

Precisely! My wife and I were wondering why you can't ever get a dingo when you need one.

DevilAlumna
05-20-2008, 03:20 PM
One thing that intrigues me (and I don't read other Lostie forums, just what's on here, so pardon if this is known/discussed ad nauseum elswhere) --

When the Oceanic 6 presser was happening, the Airways spokesperson described the 6 as having a fishing boat wash up to them on island 1, thus enabling them to get to island 2, where they were discovered. There was a picture of them beaching on island 2.

When does that fishing boat come in to play? It's not the freighter (too big, about to go kabloowie), not the zodiac (hard to confuse that as a fishing boat.) Could it be the same boat that Michael left in? Do the Others have another boat hidden somewhere?

Duvall
05-20-2008, 03:20 PM

Be careful what you wish for. The bay-bay may get replaced with a whiny toddler next season.

blublood
05-20-2008, 04:14 PM
When does that fishing boat come in to play? It's not the freighter (too big, about to go kabloowie), not the zodiac (hard to confuse that as a fishing boat.) Could it be the same boat that Michael left in? Do the Others have another boat hidden somewhere?

Michael and Walt left in a motorized, pleasure-cruising-type boat and the boat that was in the photo looked to be barely more than a canoe. So there's no telling where it came from... Othersville, maybe? I can't think of any other explanation unless Keamy and Co. have another boat stored on the freighter. Or Lapidus has one in his chopper. Both are unlikely.

DevilAlumna
05-20-2008, 05:23 PM
Othersville, maybe?

Was I the only one who laughed out loud when Sawyer made some ranting reference to the folks from "West Othertown"?

JasonEvans
05-20-2008, 06:20 PM
Was I the only one who laughed out loud when Sawyer made some ranting reference to the folks from "West Othertown"?

It is New Otherton and that is what fans of the show started calling it online a season or so ago. The producers adopted it. There is great interaction between the fans and the folks behind this show.

--Jason "the Dharma shark, for example, was supposedly a little treat just for the online fans of the show" Evans

Exiled_Devil
05-20-2008, 11:57 PM
One thing that intrigues me (and I don't read other Lostie forums, just what's on here, so pardon if this is known/discussed ad nauseum elswhere) --

When the Oceanic 6 presser was happening, the Airways spokesperson described the 6 as having a fishing boat wash up to them on island 1, thus enabling them to get to island 2, where they were discovered. There was a picture of them beaching on island 2.

I think that the whole beach landing is fabricated. I expect that Oceanic or some other power stages the whole event in order to support the false story of what happened.

Pacer
05-21-2008, 08:19 AM
the Dharma shark, for example, was supposedly a little treat just for the online fans of the show" Evans

You must be referring to Ezra James Sharkington....

FYI, the producers said in the new podcast that 1) part one of the finale will be re-aired before part 2 next thursday, and 2) there will be an extended scene inserted in part 1 in the return press conference, more questions are asked of the Oceanic 6.

Truth
05-21-2008, 06:45 PM

I don't think the fishing boat ever comes into play. In fact, I think the plot here is that the fishing boat you are referencing doesn't even exist. It's simply the government agency providing background details to fill in the necessary gaps -- think Armstrong and the moon landing.

YmoBeThere
05-22-2008, 05:38 AM
re: Lost last night (5/15)

Perhaps you should just get a GPS?

BlueDevilBaby
05-22-2008, 10:42 AM
I watched the repeat last night. Did anyone else think that Christian looked absolutely skeletal before he leaned into the light and then skeletal again when he leaned back in his chair into the dark? Great effect with the lighting and maybe the shirt he was wearing. It creeped me out both times I saw it. Also noticed the second time around that Horace chopped down the same tree like three times. Don't know if that was intentional or not - maybe they did not have enough fake trees.:D

Anyway, I am starting to love the popups on repeats because, as I said previously, I can't remember all the tie-ins and cross-references, plot lines, etc. For the life of me, I could not remember who Horace was.

FWIW, I think John was supposed to take the comic book. Heck, I probably would have taken the knife too at that age.

gus
05-22-2008, 11:12 AM
Also noticed the second time around that Horace chopped down the same tree like three times. Don't know if that was intentional or not - maybe they did not have enough fake trees.:

It was definitely intentional. Locke even reacted to it. Horace also greeted Locke more than once...

blublood
05-22-2008, 11:23 AM
Don't know if that was intentional or not - maybe they did not have enough fake trees.:D

Anyway, I am starting to love the popups on repeats because, as I said previously, I can't remember all the tie-ins and cross-references, plot lines, etc. For the life of me, I could not remember who Horace was.

Wait, there was a Lost last night?? Why didn't anyone tell me??

Yes, agree, the tree thing was definitely intentional, but because I hate the whole "time loop theory", I don't think it has as much significance as we'd like to think. Lost is great at establishing creepy dream cycles for no other reason than their creepiness. For instance, I don't know if we're ever going to get an explanation for why Walt always showed up soaking wet and talking backwards, but it sure does freak people out.

Clipsfan
05-22-2008, 05:56 PM
Wait, there was a Lost last night?? Why didn't anyone tell me??

Yes, agree, the tree thing was definitely intentional, but because I hate the whole "time loop theory", I don't think it has as much significance as we'd like to think. Lost is great at establishing creepy dream cycles for no other reason than their creepiness. For instance, I don't know if we're ever going to get an explanation for why Walt always showed up soaking wet and talking backwards, but it sure does freak people out.

It was just repeats, although I was not sure why they were on a Wednesday. I recorded the Lakers and watched that instead anyway when I got home (had to tell the DVR to stop recording Lost).

JasonEvans
05-23-2008, 12:01 AM
I just thought of something--

The casket. The producers said we would find out who was in the casket this season. That is a big deal in my mind and with only one episode left, it must play a role in the finale.

We've been guessing about this one for a full season and now we finally get an answer.

I've been saying Ben for a while or maybe Michael. I know it is fashionable to say it is Christian Sheppard but we were at his funeral last week. Recall, it must be someone who would not attract anyone to come to the funeral and someone that Kate would ask, "why would I go to that funeral?" with some disdain in her voice. It has got to be Ben, right?

Ooooh, you know what would be cool-- if it was Richard Alpert!! The ageless guy finally dies. It would be a sign to Jack that somethign was wrong with the Island, that the Island had lost some of its power or something like that. Plus, no one would go to Richard's funeral and Kate would not care about him either. Yeah-- I am liking that!! If it is Richard, then I get big props!!

--Jason "it better not be Sawyer cause Kate's reaction was all wrong for it to be Sawyer" Evans

blublood
05-23-2008, 09:58 AM
I just thought of something--

The casket. The producers said we would find out who was in the casket this season. That is a big deal in my mind and with only one episode left, it must play a role in the finale.

We've been guessing about this one for a full season and now we finally get an answer.

I heard a good thought about this the other day on another Lost message board as folks were debating whether it would be Michael or Ben in the coffin. One person pointed out that when Jack went to the funeral parlor, the attendant asked him, "Friend or family?" I hadn't really noticed it before, but it would be unusual - not unheard of, but unusual - for him to phrase the question like that to a white man if the guy who was dead was African American.

The poster was, of course, immediately attacked as a racist bigot and KKK sympathizer, but I think there's something to it. This suggests to me that it's going to be Ben although I like the idea of Richard being dead too. Certainly since Kate and Sayid are now in the Others' clutches, there's ample opportunity for something to happen to them which would provoke Kate's hatred.

JasonEvans
05-23-2008, 12:50 PM
I heard a good thought about this the other day on another Lost message board as folks were debating whether it would be Michael or Ben in the coffin. One person pointed out that when Jack went to the funeral parlor, the attendant asked him, "Friend or family?" I hadn't really noticed it before, but it would be unusual - not unheard of, but unusual - for him to phrase the question like that to a white man if the guy who was dead was African American.

The poster was, of course, immediately attacked as a racist bigot and KKK sympathizer, but I think there's something to it. This suggests to me that it's going to be Ben although I like the idea of Richard being dead too. Certainly since Kate and Sayid are now in the Others' clutches, there's ample opportunity for something to happen to them which would provoke Kate's hatred.

Ok, I've been thinking about this for a while now and I have come up with the list of people it could possibly be.

1) Ben - though I do not like this idea because he is too central to the mythology of the show to not "be there" at the end. Plus, what would that say about how his battle with Whitmore turned out?

2) Richard Alpert - the more I think about it, the more I love this possibility. Is it too late for me to apply to be one of the writers on the show? Everything fits perfectly if it is Richard. No one would be there. His death would be movign and meaningful to Jack as it would say something about the state of the Island, and Kate would feel nothing toward him and not want to go to his funeral. It all fits.

3) Michael - Would Walt and Michael's mother both skip the funeral? what about his ex-wife? If Michael had assumed a new identity then I suppose they might not even know about it. Kate could still feel anger to Michael for his betrayal on the Island. Jack might feel sadness though. I guess this works but it feels wrong to me.

4) Locke - How does he get off the island? But, if he does I could see there being no one at his funeral. He had no family. He is not one of the Oceanic 6 so there would be no press there for the funeral. Kate's reaction though, seems wrong.

5) Desmond - Aside from Penny we have not seen anyone who really cares about Desmond, have we? How would he get off the Island? He is not one of the Oceanic 6 so he would not attract attention of the press at his funeral. I guess this works though I feel like Des has a larger role to play in the end game, sorta like Ben.

6) Frank Lapidus, Daniel Farraday, or Miles - Kate's reaction would seem to work for these. We know so little about their back stories that I guess it is possible no one would show up for their funerals. Not sure why their death would affect Jack so much. Personally, I would not like it if it was one of these and I would feel a little cheated as it was not someone we knew a year ago when the casket was introduced.

Those are the only possibilities I see. I have ruled out the following--

Sawyer - Kate's reaction is all wrong. If it is Sawyer, the producers cheated when they wrote about it for the first time a year ago.

Hurly, Sayid - As members of the Oceanic 6, their deaths would be a big deal in the press and Hurley certainly has family who would be there. Kate's reaction is wrong for it to be them too.

Jin - He has family. He would not be burried in LA. Sun would be there.

Boone, Charlie, Eko, Doc Artz - No. Burried on the Island. It would be real bad faith for the show to do this, IMO.

Bernard - Where is Rose? Kate's reaction is wrong. Jack's reaction is wrong too. How did he get off the island?

Matthew Abaddon, Charles Whitmore, Keamy, Alvar Hanso, Dr. Martin Candle/Edgar Hallowax - No. A horrid cop-out and a strange twist if it is any of these. Maybe Abaddon would be interesting.

--Jason "well, that's it-- anyone else have any other thoughts?" Evans

alteran
05-23-2008, 01:47 PM
3) Michael - Would Walt and Michael's mother both skip the funeral? what about his ex-wife? If Michael had assumed a new identity then I suppose they might not even know about it. Kate could still feel anger to Michael for his betrayal on the Island. Jack might feel sadness though. I guess this works but it feels wrong to me.

Oooh-- good catch! While I feel compelled to point out that Michael's ex-wife skipping the funeral should be forgiven because she is currently deceased in a non-Lost-Island location, Walt and Michael's mom not showing is a bit much to explain.

Still, I think too many other things work here to dislodge Michael as the best possibility.

I think Kate's reaction was more disgust than indifference. This makes Richard Alpert a less attractive possibility. However, since he just took Kate and Jack prisoner, there's plenty of time for him to get in her bad graces.

I don't like this possibility as much as you, though. It has a "copout" feel to it-- the funeral location becomes a weird red herring, and we knew of no real connection between Jack, Kate, and Richard at the time of the original "flashforward" episode.

Pacer
05-23-2008, 04:27 PM
2) Richard Alpert - the more I think about it, the more I love this possibility. Is it too late for me to apply to be one of the writers on the show? Everything fits perfectly if it is Richard. No one would be there. His death would be movign and meaningful to Jack as it would say something about the state of the Island, and Kate would feel nothing toward him and not want to go to his funeral. It all fits.

I tend to disagree with this one in that I don't think Jack has met Alpert yet... if he's going to meet him on the island... it has to happen quick... however, we know that Alpert can leave the island.... so it is not absolute that Jack has to meet him before Jack leaves the island..

So far, we haven't been given a meeting that would allow Jack to recognize Alpert's name in a newspaper.

BCGroup
05-24-2008, 06:47 AM
Rarely do I look to the Charlotte Observer for my Lost news, but these points are worth the two minute read:

http://justyouwatch.blogspot.com/2008/05/lost-5-keys-to-unlocking-finale.html

YmoBeThere
05-24-2008, 07:08 AM
I still haven't found what I'm looking for...

JasonEvans
05-24-2008, 11:14 AM
I tend to disagree with this one in that I don't think Jack has met Alpert yet... if he's going to meet him on the island... it has to happen quick... however, we know that Alpert can leave the island.... so it is not absolute that Jack has to meet him before Jack leaves the island..

So far, we haven't been given a meeting that would allow Jack to recognize Alpert's name in a newspaper.

Umm- Jack was captured by the Others for a week or so at the end of season 2 - beginning of season 3. I am usre he has met Richard.

As for recognizing the name, yeah, that may be dicey. Perhaps there was a picture in the paper to go with the name? We also do not know all of Jack's post-Island story so maybe he runs across Richard (using an alias) or something.

I dunno -- can you come up with anyone other than Ben who fits all the criteria we need to be the person in the casket. I really hope it is not Ben!

-Jason "c'mon folks, lets hear other guesses" Evans

2535Miles
05-25-2008, 02:05 PM
... Sayid - As members of the Oceanic 6, their deaths would be a big deal in the press and Hurley certainly has family who would be there. Kate's reaction is wrong for it to be them too.
Where in time is the funeral? Maybe it's after Sayid has been hired by Ben to kill Penny. Maybe Kate is disgusted with the new Sayid? Sayid doesn't have any family so that might explain why no one shows up, though you'd think the press would be there since they hounded him during Nadia's funeral.

Exiled_Devil
05-25-2008, 11:21 PM
So I have to agree that Alpert is the best possibility - the main issue I thought was that Jack needed to get near him soon, but I forgot that he was captured at the end of the last episode.

That makes me think it is another flash forward episode, and possible Alpert's - I would love to see his story. Maybe even a flash forward and flashback episode!!
Give me some Alpert history!!

As for other possibilities, the O6 is out as Jason said - they would be big news. Ben and Locke are possible. Locke would be viable as a "no" answer to friends and family - they need to deny the existence of the non-6 who are on the island.

dukeblueyes
05-29-2008, 11:06 AM
http://www.mcsweeneys.net/2008/5/29bridgman.html

Cell-R
05-29-2008, 06:07 PM
Season Finale Tonight!!!
I can't wait to see who is in the coffin.
But at the same time - I'm not sure I want to know who it is :(

accfanfrom1970
05-29-2008, 11:27 PM
Locke? Jeremy is Locke?