PDA

View Full Version : How old do you "FEEL?" (for those over 34)

EarlJam
05-14-2008, 02:57 PM
I, EarlJam, am 39 years old (since November).

I NEVER thought I'd feel the way I do at 39 when I was sayyyyyyy 21.

But mentally, and to a degree, physically, I feel like I'm still 25 years old.

Yes, I've had some physical breakdowns, but I can still play ball and compete with those that are in their 20s. Also, when I'm with people in their 20s, I like it. It feels natural to me.

Is that odd? Should I feel older? Do others every think about this? In some ways, I like it. In other ways, it bothers me a littel. But mostly, I like it. :D

-EarlJam

wilson
05-14-2008, 03:00 PM
Lame, stupid poll. I didn't want to play anyway.

EarlJam
05-14-2008, 03:04 PM
Lame, stupid poll. I didn't want to play anyway.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh, youth. (Not that I'm old). But seriously man, you're 25, right? Awesome. Embrace it. Love it. Marinate in it.

That seems like a blink of an eye ago to me. It goes by so ridiculously fast.

I remember being 25 and talking to my boss who was 40. He was talking about how great he felt. I remember thinking, "Cool man. But I'm glad I'm not 40!"

Now I'm almost there and it came in a farggin' FLASH!

I'm babbling.

wilson
05-14-2008, 03:09 PM
I will be 26 in August. I am indeed marinating in it.

EarlJam
05-14-2008, 03:09 PM
EarlJam's liver here. I and his kidney's just saw his post. Pfffffffffffffft. What a joke.

Yeah, he may feel like and act like he's still in his 20s but we feel like we're in our 70s.

EarlJam's a nice guy, but having to be his liver and kidneys has to be one of the most demanding jobs in the world.

Just thought we deserved a few props here for keeping him on his feet despite his "refuse to grow old" ways.

-EJ's Liver

Lavabe
05-14-2008, 03:14 PM
... I feel 20 years older than I really am. The same applies to any thread in the PPB.:mad:

But now that I am posting here, I feel my actual age.:o

And once Ymo/Devildeac/BillyBreen start posting, I'll feel ten years younger.:D

Cheers,
Lavabe

EarlJam
05-14-2008, 03:16 PM
I will be 26 in August. I am indeed marinating in it.

The relevance to those in your 20s on this post is the good news that when you get into your late 30s, 40, you can most certainly feel the same as you did in your 20s.

In no way do I mean to imply I'm bummed about being 39 or turning 40. It feels great to me and I've "done" the 20s and most of the 30s. The experience gained is priceless.

I joke about alcohol and other things at times, but truth is, until a couple of years ago and even to a point now, I take pretty darn good care of myself. Good diet, don't smoke, exercise, sniff "light" glue, etc.

I'm just very surprised at how fast 25 turned to 39. That actually scares me.

I ramble on.

-EarlJam

Jfrosh
05-14-2008, 03:55 PM
I just hit 40. Mentally I feel younger, but physically, especially getting out of bed in the morning or after playing ball, I feel older

Shammrog
05-14-2008, 06:16 PM
The relevance to those in your 20s on this post is the good news that when you get into your late 30s, 40, you can most certainly feel the same as you did in your 20s.

In no way do I mean to imply I'm bummed about being 39 or turning 40. It feels great to me and I've "done" the 20s and most of the 30s. The experience gained is priceless.

I joke about alcohol and other things at times, but truth is, until a couple of years ago and even to a point now, I take pretty darn good care of myself. Good diet, don't smoke, exercise, sniff "light" glue, etc.

I ramble on.

-EarlJam

You and me both, man. I am 36, but really in most ways feel no different than 25. And, I am in better shape now.

Only thing is, cannot drink like I used to. At all.

pamtar
05-14-2008, 06:25 PM

-EarlJam

I refuse to believe you. I will be 27 for the next ever.

onepresent
05-14-2008, 06:44 PM
I'm not clear on what it is suppose to feel like at my age.

dukefanSD
05-14-2008, 07:30 PM
I'm 37, and I feel like I'm about 30. I just started to get gray hairs and that is freaking me out a little. It feels like I was in my late 20's and I blinked and now I'm facing 40. I remember when my folks turned 40 and they seemed so OLD. I curl into a ball thinking about being 50.

UrinalCake
05-14-2008, 11:18 PM
31, feel about 27. I've never been very strong or athletic, but as I've gotten older everyone else's bodies have broken down, so now I'm way more fit than most people I know. I knew I'd have my come-uppance!

The thought of spending a night getting drunk at a bar and then sleeping until noon has about zero appeal to me. I guess that's how I know I'm old...

CathyCA
05-15-2008, 01:41 AM
Okay, class of '84. You all do the math.

I've been seeing a guy who is 28. I've been forced to subscribe to urbandictionary.com to keep up with him.

Deslok
05-15-2008, 02:05 AM
Ok, I'm 36. And I do tend to feel younger than I am(it also helps to have people not believe that I'm older than 30).

But then there's the fact that I teach at a HS. And on Thursday nights we play soccer, with students there too, and that's when I start feeling really old(especially since we have a student who is the best soccer player I've ever known, its really just a question of how he wants me to look foolish if I ever have to guard him). Toss in things like chaperoning lock ins(did that post prom this year) and realize that those all nighters aren't quite so easy to manage these days.

Shammrog
05-15-2008, 05:40 AM
Okay, class of '84. You all do the math.

I've been seeing a guy who is 28. I've been forced to subscribe to urbandictionary.com to keep up with him.

(Are you Demi Moore?!?)

CathyCA
05-15-2008, 10:24 AM
(Are you Demi Moore?!?)

In my dreams! Ashton Kutcher is a hottie!

;)

Lavabe
05-15-2008, 11:29 AM
As posted in another thread, class of '83. And as CathyCa stated, you do the math.

Hopefully my daughter is class of 2018. She keeps me feeling young, as do my students. So does the infrequent DBR night in Atlanta!;)

Cheers,
Lavabe

Exiled_Devil
05-15-2008, 11:31 AM
I had the first over-estimate on my age ever a few weeks ago - someone though I was 38 and I am 35. It actually felt good - typically people think I am in my 20's, which is a liability in my line of work (leadership development).

As for feeling age, I never had a tight back before I took a desk job at 29. I put on weight in the last year due to stress, and I ascribe the way my body feels to that. I refuse to acknowledge the idea that metabolism slows down - I will just drop this weight as soon as I eat right and exercise.

Where I do feel age is in being aware that I think that Gen Y exists and is different in silly ways (Those young kids) and the measure of life against where I thought I'd be by now (When I was 12, I thought I'd be a Senator by now. Really glad I dropped that idea.) Of course, I work with people older than me, so I am still considered a wunderkin in some of my work circles. At 35.

wilson
05-15-2008, 11:46 AM
Being mistaken for younger than one really is isn't always so pleasant. Last summer when I went to see "Knocked Up," I got carded. You only have to be 17 to see a rated R movie. I was 25 at the time. It really chapped my [fanny].

Bostondevil
05-15-2008, 12:02 PM
Whereas I am inclined to kiss young men who card me.

(And way to go CathyCA!) We old married farts can look to you for a vicarious thrill.

BD - Class of '85

dukepsy1963
05-15-2008, 12:04 PM
21, 22,26,30,32,36,40, 45, 50, 59, 66............

Get used to it!!!

blublood
05-15-2008, 12:23 PM
Toss in things like chaperoning lock ins(did that post prom this year) and realize that those all nighters aren't quite so easy to manage these days.

All-nighter... wait, is that like Waffle House?

Seriously, enjoy even having the ability to pull all-nighters while you can! We have a small child at home and the sad, sad truth is that a really swingin' night for me is being able to go to sleep at 9 o'clock. When my husband and I do get out on a date, the date's always over at, like, 10 because we have to go home and liberate the babysitter.

The times, they do change! :)

Shammrog
05-15-2008, 12:33 PM

Get used to it!!!

Why? (Don't get it.)

Are these milestone birthdays? I would put them - in adulthood only - as:

Truth
05-15-2008, 12:41 PM
The revelation that EarlJam is 39 is somewhat shocking. Having read about his wild antics and crazy (I mean that in a good ways) relationships, both work and personal, since the Bacon years, I would've put EarlJam into the 27-31 bracket.

I've already contributed a few posts on here with the general theme that my increased awareness of the passage of time is somewhat haunting. It's not that I particularly FEEL old, it's just that I am more keenly aware that I have now been out of college nearly twice as long as I was in it (Class of '01).

Beyond simple age numbers, I think there's also a challenging element of eroding egocentricism, where in HS and college most-everything centers around individual priorities in a much, much smaller world. It takes awhile to strike a balance as one "wisens up," so to speak...

rsvman
05-15-2008, 12:45 PM
Oh, no! Do I have to curl up in a ball? I'm 49 and will be 50 in November. I still feel pretty danged young. I'm 6'3" and only weigh 175, I have all my hair, I play basketball with my kids, I ride a bike for exercise, and the teenagers at my church think I'm cool because I can restring and set-up a bass guitar for them, or help them write a bass line for their latest song. I keep up with all the latest music and pop culture, so I don't get left behind in conversation.

I remember when my dad turned 50. I asked him how it felt to be 50. He told me it felt pretty much like being 30. I feel the same way he did. In my mind, in my soul, I'm perpetually young. My body can age, but my soul is still in its youth.

EarlJam
05-15-2008, 01:29 PM
The revelation that EarlJam is 39 is somewhat shocking. Having read about his wild antics and crazy (I mean that in a good ways) relationships, both work and personal, since the Bacon years, I would've put EarlJam into the 27-31 bracket.

I've already contributed a few posts on here with the general theme that my increased awareness of the passage of time is somewhat haunting. It's not that I particularly FEEL old, it's just that I am more keenly aware that I have now been out of college nearly twice as long as I was in it (Class of '01).

Beyond simple age numbers, I think there's also a challenging element of eroding egocentricism, where in HS and college most-everything centers around individual priorities in a much, much smaller world. It takes awhile to strike a balance as one "wisens up," so to speak...

Most people I meet think I'm in my early 30s. I generally get feedback that I look much younger (and definitely have a spirit much younger) than 39. I feel perfectly at home hanging out with people in there 20s, early 30s.

Much of the antics have taken place since my divorce. I could write a book on it. Divorce does so many things to you. After talking with many others who have gone through it, I've found I'm not alone. It's made me adopt a much younger mindset, and I'm learning to embrace that as a positive.

No more dates with girls with guns though.

-EJ

EarlJam
05-15-2008, 01:30 PM
Oh, no! Do I have to curl up in a ball? I'm 49 and will be 50 in November. I still feel pretty danged young. I'm 6'3" and only weigh 175, I have all my hair, I play basketball with my kids, I ride a bike for exercise, and the teenagers at my church think I'm cool because I can restring and set-up a bass guitar for them, or help them write a bass line for their latest song. I keep up with all the latest music and pop culture, so I don't get left behind in conversation.

I remember when my dad turned 50. I asked him how it felt to be 50. He told me it felt pretty much like being 30. I feel the same way he did. In my mind, in my soul, I'm perpetually young. My body can age, but my soul is still in its youth.

The above is an awesome, awesome, awesome post.

Shammrog
05-15-2008, 02:07 PM
Most people I meet think I'm in my early 30s. I generally get feedback that I look much younger (and definitely have a spirit much younger) than 39. I feel perfectly at home hanging out with people in there 20s, early 30s.

Much of the antics have taken place since my divorce. I could write a book on it. Divorce does so many things to you. After talking with many others who have gone through it, I've found I'm not alone. It's made me adopt a much younger mindset, and I'm learning to embrace that as a positive.

No more dates with girls with guns though.

-EJ

Let me say that, in many ways my very good friend EarlJam behaves like he is 15 years younger. And, he is my hero!

Truth
05-15-2008, 02:08 PM

Can you Crank Dat?

CathyCA
05-15-2008, 02:16 PM
Divorce does so many things to you. After talking with many others who have gone through it, I've found I'm not alone. It's made me adopt a much younger mindset, and I'm learning to embrace that as a positive.

Word.

I didn't choose my divorce, but I did choose the way I react to mine. My life post-divorce is an exciting new adventure. I am determined to be happy. That younger mindset, and hanging out with people who aren't so jaded and cynical (and let's be honest, they're usually younger) makes me happy.

rsvman
05-15-2008, 02:44 PM
Can you Crank Dat?

You know it, Soulja Boy.

(But I choose not to.);)

devildeac
05-15-2008, 03:27 PM

Get used to it!!!

you can't be female then as their ages stop at 39(jk here-no offense made to anyone-just post padding:o).

Devil in the Blue Dress
05-15-2008, 05:43 PM

Get used to it!!!

I'm not far behind dukepsy1963! He graduated the same year I enrolled as a freshman.

You youngsters really do have much to look forward to as you progress through future stages of life. I'm happier than than I've ever been. Instead of being frustrated by the changes that have occurred over time, I've embraced them and adapted. The list of what's important is much shorter and better articulated at this point in time than it used to be. I don't waste my time doing things I don't like or going places that don't appeal to me. I think young, but make better choices than I used to. And guess what! You can be carded! It happens from time to time when I ask for the senior discount. (Used to happen lots when I was much younger, too!)

Bluedawg
05-15-2008, 05:49 PM
...although I don't know how I'm supposed to feel at 51.

dukemomLA
05-16-2008, 02:09 AM
Did you know you can join this sucker at 50? Great discounts, etc.
(couldn't resist)
I am 59 and as said before, I figured I would be a 'grown-up' when I stopped wearing jeans and could no longer do a one-handed cartwheel. Still waiting.

But....I've learned to relax, take a breath, do nothing, read a good book, do a jigsaw puzzle, climb a new mountain, dig in my yard, and not stress (too much) if my work life is not up to snuff.

Our music from the 60s-80s still reign. (Only a couple a folk to add to that). We challenged the system, we caused some folks to think, ... and yet, much to our disgust and angst, we did not change the world.

Peace and love

OZZIE4DUKE
05-16-2008, 09:18 AM
Four years ago today, when I had a birthday ending in a zero, I decided it was time to turn 30 and no longer act and feel like someone in his 20's. So today I guess I turn, oh, let's say 31. In last night's softball game I went 1 for 2 with a run scored, a sac fly and 1 RBI, was the losing pitcher, striking out 1 and walking 0. I think I can play at least another 10 years, and I don't think the old people telling me to hang up my sneakers know what they are talking about. I won't tell you about tearing the short end (tendon) of my bicep :eek: three weeks ago. It has completely healed and no longer hampers me.

Fish80
05-16-2008, 09:20 AM
I'm 49 with a heart age of 39 according to my employer mandated health screen. That still gives me a 5% chance of a heart attack in the next 10 years. So from now on it's carpe diem. :D

I'm much younger than my age implies, but there are some old people things that are more appealing year by year:

Naps are good, although infrequent
It's important to stay properly hydrated
Regularity is a good thing
Staying up past midnight is rarely worth it
Demi Moore is not old

Windsor
05-16-2008, 10:53 AM

I'll be 50 in February....I agree completely. My sould still thinks I'm 30. (but every once a while my body reminds me that my soul is mistaken!)