PDA

View Full Version : What board do you visit first?

pamtar
05-13-2008, 07:29 PM
Just curious. For me, it depends if its BBall season, or if there a big recruiting decision coming up. I'd say I go Off Topic first about 90% of the time though.

Mods please put a ? on the poll title if ya don't mind.

OZZIE4DUKE
05-13-2008, 07:40 PM
Usually the EK forum, but I tend to read more threads Off Topic. Again, it is a function of so many of the threads on the EK forum being so long there is no reason to read them, even if they are totally different from the original topic. I last read about the Plumlees the day after Miles committed. That was what? 220 posts ago (now totaling 243)? How much more needed to be said?

YmoBeThere
05-13-2008, 07:41 PM
Very easy, if you could see my post counts they are highly skewed to the OTB. Originally, I thought it was Off Track Betting, but even after discovering it wasn't I got hooked.

Channing
05-13-2008, 07:46 PM
depends on the season - off season i go to the OTB

rthomas
05-13-2008, 07:53 PM
depends on the season - off season i go to the OTB

Season dependent too.

Lavabe
05-13-2008, 07:54 PM
Yes, well that was difficult to figure out.:rolleyes:

I find the civility much different on the PPB.

The EK Forum is filled with good information, but I do agree with Ozzie. After a while, do we need 243 posts about Plumlee? Just how much more do we learn?

C'est la vie! To each his own.
Cheers,
Lavabe

BCGroup
05-13-2008, 08:58 PM
Definitely need a choice for on season, on topic; off season, off topic.

-jk
05-13-2008, 09:32 PM
Usually the EK forum, but I tend to read more threads Off Topic. Again, it is a function of so many of the threads on the EK forum being so long there is no reason to read them, even if they are totally different from the original topic. I last read about the Plumlees the day after Miles committed. That was what? 220 posts ago (now totaling 243)? How much more needed to be said?

You're missing a great discussion of Plumlee's high jumping exploits. And bad graduation speeches.

(And how do I vote "none of the above"?)

-jk

Ben63
05-13-2008, 09:42 PM
I seem to be in the majority.

Right now I read Off Topic 1st

During Season I read EK 1st

billybreen
05-13-2008, 10:13 PM
For me it's either the PPB or the OTB. I pretty rarely visit EK. Once we get closer to the general election, I'll probably be landing on the PPB more often than not.

terrih
05-13-2008, 10:33 PM
I checkout EK first, in-season or not. I browse through the top 10 or 20 subjects. I don't always enter a thread though, as someone stated, if really old and last time i checked it had taken a tangent, it is unlikely I will check it out again.

Then to the OTB for me. Rarely do I visit the PP board.

ArkieDukie
05-13-2008, 11:02 PM
Before I discovered the OTB, it was the main board.

A question: since the poll is on the OTB, is it skewed away from those who never visit the OTB?

Bluedog
05-13-2008, 11:14 PM

A question: since the poll is on the OTB, is it skewed away from those who never visit the OTB?

Yes, definitely. I'd say 90% of users post and view the EK board only. I only recently started visiting the off-topic board and I have at least a (somewhat) respectable number of posts. You'd also be surprised at how many lurkers are out there....people that view EK but never post. I'd guess only 25% of people who routinely visit DBR actually post...and, yes, I have no evidence to back up any of these numbers :p Just based on personal experience and conversations I've had with others. Also, look at the view counts.

Oh, and I check out EK first - in season or not.

YmoBeThere
05-14-2008, 08:02 AM

Yes, it definitely appears to be skewed away from those who visit the PPB first.

Fish80
05-14-2008, 08:45 AM
Squarely in line with the majority - season dependent.

Regarding skewness, is the pollster measuring the tendencies of all DBR readers or just the subset who read off topic? If the latter, then I throw down the guantlet and question your skewness!

Shammrog
05-14-2008, 09:50 AM
Off season, the PPB. It is fun to fight with my liberal friends!

In season, the On-Topic board, of course.

ugadevil
05-14-2008, 09:51 AM
Off-topic for life!!!!!!!!! I'm uncomfortable PW'ing on the other boards.

wilson
05-14-2008, 10:29 AM
Off-Topic all the time. I frequent the EK Board more regularly during the season, though I usually check it daily even in the offseason.
I find that the OTB more closely approaches the oft-repeated vision of DBR as an online neighborhood pub. There's a solid group of us regulars here, and it's kind of nice to know that I can expect certain things from certain people, and that if I get together in real life with some of the crew, I'll still feel like they're my friends, even the first time I lay eyes on them. Then again, I suppose I'm mostly preaching at the choir here.
On a related note, I finally exposited my Board obsession in full to my girlfriend yesterday. She took my admission that I have honest to goodness "internet friends" surprisingly well.

duke74
05-14-2008, 10:43 AM
I click on "new posts" and read from there. So, I guess my choice would be "all of the above".

allenmurray
05-14-2008, 10:51 AM
I need new reading glasses. I misread the thread title as What broad do you visit first.

duke74
05-14-2008, 10:53 AM
I need new reading glasses. I misread the thread title as What broad do you visit first.

Funny. You running for NYS Governor?

blublood
05-14-2008, 11:23 AM
I find that the OTB more closely approaches the oft-repeated vision of DBR as an online neighborhood pub.

No kidding. I regret to say that when I do venture onto the BB board and post there, I frequently (not the majority of the time, but frequently) get some kind of snippy response so why bother participating?

ugadevil
05-14-2008, 11:35 AM
I click on "new posts" and read from there. So, I guess my choice would be "all of the above".

You must only be reading the threads BillyBreen posts in since he has a new post every couple minutes. ;)

duke74
05-14-2008, 11:46 AM
You must only be reading the threads BillyBreen posts in since he has a new post every couple minutes. ;)

I think it may be a toss up...BB, EJ or JE! (I KNOW I'm forgetting someone - sorry)

ugadevil
05-14-2008, 11:50 AM
I think it may be a toss up...BB, EJ or JE! (I KNOW I'm forgetting someone - sorry)

You're forgetting Devildeac in the beer thread.

2535Miles
05-14-2008, 07:29 PM
find that the OTB more closely approaches the oft-repeated vision of DBR as an online neighborhood pub.

You said it best. When I'm at the pub with my friends (when I used to a have pub, and when I had friends - all before I moved to California) we talked basketball during the season, but only for a few a while. We definitely spent more time on the mundane, oddities, politics, blah blah blah. I think one of the greatest things about DBR is the Off Topic forum.

devildeac
05-14-2008, 10:32 PM

or less;)

throatybeard
05-15-2008, 02:46 PM
Moderating full time was getting to be too much of a time commitment, and so at the end of the men's season I asked Julio if I could do it just part time and he said yes. I've barely moderated anything since then.

w/o the obligation of reading the main board, I find that I don't at all. I read a little of this board and all of the PPB board. I may read the EK board a bit once FB season starts, but probably quit again once BB season starts. The volume of posts is ginormous, and the quality of the basketball discussions has fallen precipitously.

Bluedawg
05-15-2008, 03:05 PM
for me it varies. I have all three bookmarked and it depend on my mood.

devildeac
05-15-2008, 03:28 PM
sometimes I visit the cupboard first...

ArkieDukie
05-15-2008, 08:55 PM
w/o the obligation of reading the main board, I find that I don't at all. I read a little of this board and all of the PPB board. I may read the EK board a bit once FB season starts, but probably quit again once BB season starts. The volume of posts is ginormous, and the quality of the basketball discussions has fallen precipitously.

Sadly, I have to agree with you on this point. The level of discourse has dropped noticeably on the EK board. The OTB is more fun. Maybe I should venture back to the PPB.

billybreen
05-15-2008, 09:31 PM
Moderating full time was getting to be too much of a time commitment, and so at the end of the men's season I asked Julio if I could do it just part time and he said yes. I've barely moderated anything since then.

Read: I was fired for sexually harassing Jumbo.