PDA

View Full Version : Dexter fans?

Cormac
05-13-2008, 12:42 PM
Any Dexter fans out there? For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, its a show on Showtime based on the books by Jeff Lindsay. The show/books focus on Dexter who works for the Miami Police Department as a blood spatter expert (I'm a forensics grad student so get totally geeked up about shows that have anything to do with my field). However, there's a twist. Dexter moonlights as a serial killer himself, murdering only the worst of the worst who have ducked the system. Anyway, that is a very brief description, as there are lots of other characters and plot lines.
I have just started the second season and its a great show with a lot of interesting moral questions. I know, i know, we cant run around killing people, nor do I think we should, but it is interesting. As the writers put it, "Is Dexter a good guy doing bad things or a bad guy doing good things?" Would we really mourn the death of the couple that smuggled in Cuban immigrants only to kidnap them until their loved ones coughed up more money, killing most of them in the process? Or the buy that raped and murdered young boys? I don't know, i just find its premise intriguing, even if its highly unrealistic, but tv is escapism, so I dig it. Anyone else a fan?

brevity
05-13-2008, 01:03 PM
I recently watched its 1st season rebroadcast on CBS Sunday nights. Great cast of relative unknowns, and it's amazing to see Michael C. Hall move so seamlessly away from Six Feet Under.

Unfortunately, it's extremely difficult to talk about this show without spoiling things for fans who have seen fewer episodes. I'd heard some of what goes on in Season 2 before I ever started watching the show, and now I feel like I've been denied the element of surprise.

Cormac
05-14-2008, 09:00 AM
The cast is amazing. Michael C. Hall plays Dexter perfectly. Even the teenage that plays him in his high school flashbacks plays the role pretty well I think. I didn't watch the reruns on CBS, I assumed they cut a lot out. Plus, to truly appreciate the show, you have to hear his sister's nonstop strings of f-bombs. I have only watched episode one of season two, but it starts off with a bang. Some very interesting developments, but I won't give away anymore in case anyone has a desire to see the show. I highly recommend it. Anyone read the books?

YmoBeThere
05-14-2008, 07:41 PM
Umm, not a Dexter fan but I did like that show Chuck. Does that count?

DevilAlumna
05-18-2008, 11:34 PM
Loved the show, the books were good too, but I read them (well, listened via Audible) after seeing the tv version, so not too much suspense in that regard. IIRC, the show was pretty true to the books (first season = first book, 2nd season = 2nd book) but as to be expected, the books had a lot more detail and character insight, particularly in regards to Dexter's relationship with his family members.

Anyone know if there's a Season 3, and if so, when it starts? (We dropped our HBO/Showtime subscriptions, so I've missed any promos.)

brevity
05-19-2008, 02:24 AM
Anyone know if there's a Season 3, and if so, when it starts? (We dropped our HBO/Showtime subscriptions, so I've missed any promos.)

There will be a 3rd season. Showtime just says it starts this fall; some TV websites speculate the end of September.

johnb
05-19-2008, 09:35 AM
It's among my faves--what a great role for the actor...

dukepsy1963
05-19-2008, 11:21 AM
Dexter...but certainly, Dexter Gordon.........:).

ghost
05-19-2008, 01:58 PM
Loved the show, the books were good too, but I read them (well, listened via Audible) after seeing the tv version, so not too much suspense in that regard. IIRC, the show was pretty true to the books (first season = first book, 2nd season = 2nd book) but as to be expected, the books had a lot more detail and character insight, particularly in regards to Dexter's relationship with his family members.

My husband found audios of the first two books, too. I woke up one night thinking he was talking in his sleep to find that he was laying in bed listening to it on his ipod!

Cormac
05-27-2008, 07:22 AM
I just finished season 2, and wow, all I can say is it was a phenomenal season. Lila was casted perfectly, what an evil vampire of a woman. She did understand Dexter more than others I guess and she did help him out in a sticky situation, but wow, she was still pretty much pure evil. I won't say more in case there are folks hoping to watch the season. Just be prepared, its a bumpy ride!
Also, for those of you who have read the books, how good are they? I'm thinking about picking them up. I've seen the two seasons already, so I assume I won't find them very suspenseful, but hopefully still worth the read. How many books are there? I think each season so far has followed its respective book, so is there a third book for the third season to follow?

Cormac
10-22-2008, 02:17 PM
Anyone watching season 3? It started off slow, but I think it has potential. If there is a serial killer skinning people, then I think that could go some interesting directions.

SPOILERS!!!

This whole Dexter being a father thing and having a "friend" in Prado are strange developments and could be "jump the shark" moments if they're not careful. But we'll see where they go, I'm not giving up on the show yet!

DevilAlumna
10-23-2008, 12:03 AM
Yup, Dexter fan here. (Though after finishing all five seasons of Six Feet Under this summer, it's so hard to reconcile Dexter != David Fischer....)

I'm usually a couple days behind on watching, so no major spoiler postings appreciated. I can't say that I'm into Jimmy Smits' character, or the prospect of Daddy Dexter, but we'll see how the season goes.

2535Miles
10-23-2008, 01:15 AM
(Though after finishing all five seasons of Six Feet Under this summer, it's so hard to reconcile Dexter != David Fischer....)
<threadjack>Where have you been when I've talked about the final episode and other various mentionings (new word!!!) of Six Feet Under? Best ending to a series ever!

Cormac
12-16-2008, 10:36 AM
Well, what did everyone think of the season 3? Ep. 12 was very rushed as they had a lot to tie up. I would have liked to have seen more interaction between Dexter and the Skinner. Maybe see Dexter use some more of his Judo skills/finisher the skinner off like he usually does. But, all and all, not a bad season. Not as good as the first two, but still better than most of whats on tv these days. I wasn't a big fan of Prado, and I"m still unsure about this whole Dexter as family man thing, but I'm willing to wait and see. Thoughts?