PDA

View Full Version : Mopeds

Channing
05-12-2008, 09:38 PM
I am going to be living pretty close to where i work - probably between 1/2 and 1.5 miles. I was thinking of getting a moped to get myself to and from work. I figure the amt I spend on gas will pay back for the moped over the course of a couple years. Any suggestions? What are the insurance implications? Do you generally need a motorcycle license to operate a moped?

I was thinking of just getting a 50cc - just enough juice to get my 185 lb frame to and from work.

Lavabe
05-12-2008, 09:48 PM
I am going to be living pretty close to where i work - probably between 1/2 and 1.5 miles. I was thinking of getting a moped to get myself to and from work. I figure the amt I spend on gas will pay back for the moped over the course of a couple years. Any suggestions? What are the insurance implications? Do you generally need a motorcycle license to operate a moped?

I was thinking of just getting a 50cc - just enough juice to get my 185 lb frame to and from work.

I am assuming you're talking about the upcoming position in Atlanta.

I would think that the bigger issue is where to PARK the moped securely. And there is the issue of Atlanta drivers knowing what to do when there's a moped on the road.

Depending on where you're talking, taking MARTA gets you out of any of these issues.;) Some businesses will help subsidize your MARTA monthly pass.

Cheers,
Lavabe

Channing
05-12-2008, 10:48 PM
I am assuming you're talking about the upcoming position in Atlanta.

I would think that the bigger issue is where to PARK the moped securely. And there is the issue of Atlanta drivers knowing what to do when there's a moped on the road.

Depending on where you're talking, taking MARTA gets you out of any of these issues.;) Some businesses will help subsidize your MARTA monthly pass.

Cheers,
Lavabe

i thought about the parking. i will probably have to get parking at my bldg for those rainy days anyway. I was also thinking about one of those razer scooters (http://store.platinumgalleria.com/razor-electric-scooter-e300.html) that has been modified to incorporate some sort of motor. I plan on walking as much as possible ... but some of those midsummer days can get kind of hot to be hiking around in business clothes.

greybeard
05-13-2008, 01:04 AM
Vespa is the way to go. Classics. If you were in DC, I could hook you up with the owner of the dealership. Way cool guy named Phil.

CameronBornAndBred
05-13-2008, 01:11 AM
Vespa is the way to go. Classics. If you were in DC, I could hook you up with the owner of the dealership. Way cool guy named Phil.

I went to art school in DC, graduated from the Corcoran. I showed up with a moped, and by the end of the 1st year, those crappy streets had torn it to shreds. The last time I drove it, a cop had stopped me and made me walk it home! The headlight was hanging from it's last screw. Damn Marion Barry Potholes.

Cavlaw
05-13-2008, 10:16 AM
With that kind of distance, why not just get a bike?

Shammrog
05-13-2008, 10:24 AM

I wouldn't. Atlanta traffic is very bad. And dangerous.

(Yes. I am serious.)

If you do, I would be very careful to limit your use to the work commute. This city is just a mess traffic-wise - and with a lot of fast and aggressive drivers.

DukeDevil
05-13-2008, 11:06 AM
I live near DC and am looking for a moped, could you hook me up with the dealer?

HaveFunExpectToWin
05-13-2008, 11:24 AM
Would anyone here legitimately look at a Segway as transportation in a situation like this?

HaveFunExpectToWin
05-13-2008, 11:25 AM
I live near DC and am looking for a moped, could you hook me up with the dealer?

If you'd settle/upgrade to a scooter, http://www.vespaofarlington.com/

greybeard
05-13-2008, 11:36 AM

Phil Mitchell is his name. You can find him at his other business, Park Place, an outdoor/indorr furniture store on upper Wisconsin Av in the district. Tell Phil the big greybeard guy who thinks he knows it all about basketball (Phil's son was the player of the year in DC when Monroe, Forte and Bogins were also seniors; Gonzaga, Pat's team, beat Good Counsel and Dematha three times each on its way to the Catholic league Championship; yeap, I used to try to tell Pat what to do to improve) recommended you to him, and said you'd do right by him. He'll know to whom you refer. Whether that helps is another matter. His Vespa place is in upper Georgetown.

UrinalCake
05-13-2008, 11:54 AM
Here in NC the law is that if the scooter is more than 50cc or can exceed 30MPH on flat ground, it is considered a motorcycle and all motorcycle laws apply. Thus the user is required to register the vehicle and obtain a motorcycle license. If it is less than 50cc and goes under 30MPH, no license or registration is required. I guess it would be the same as a bicycle.

I don't know what the laws are in your state but I'm sure you could find them on the local DMV or DOT website. I've been thinking about scootering myself, though I'm a little farther from work - about five miles - and a chunk of that is on a 45MPH road, so I'd want to get a bigger scooter. Then I'd be tempted to just get a motorcycle.

Cavlaw
05-13-2008, 12:05 PM
Here in NC the law is that if the scooter is more than 50cc or can exceed 30MPH on flat ground, it is considered a motorcycle and all motorcycle laws apply. Thus the user is required to register the vehicle and obtain a motorcycle license. If it is less than 50cc and goes under 30MPH, no license or registration is required. I guess it would be the same as a bicycle.

I don't know what the laws are in your state but I'm sure you could find them on the local DMV or DOT website. I've been thinking about scootering myself, though I'm a little farther from work - about five miles - and a chunk of that is on a 45MPH road, so I'd want to get a bigger scooter. Then I'd be tempted to just get a motorcycle.
Is this why the motorcycles are the standard vehicle in 100cc mario kart grand prix, but below that its karts?

Lavabe
05-13-2008, 01:31 PM
I wouldn't. Atlanta traffic is very bad. And dangerous.

(Yes. I am serious.)

If you do, I would be very careful to limit your use to the work commute. This city is just a mess traffic-wise - and with a lot of fast and aggressive drivers.

I cannot agree more with Shammrog. Whether it's moped or bicycle, beware of the downtown driving/riding. In case you want more info on Marta schedules and maps, here's the link:
www.itsmarta.com

There is also considerable talk about construction for expansion of downtown public transport. Some developments (e.g., Atlantic Station) have shuttle options as well. A number of other developments in the city are multipurpose with groceries, shopping, and public transportation in close walking distance.

Cheers,
Lavabe

Shammrog
05-13-2008, 02:15 PM
I cannot agree more with Shammrog. Whether it's moped or bicycle, beware of the downtown driving/riding. In case you want more info on Marta schedules and maps, here's the link:
www.itsmarta.com

There is also considerable talk about construction for expansion of downtown public transport. Some developments (e.g., Atlantic Station) have shuttle options as well. A number of other developments in the city are multipurpose with groceries, shopping, and public transportation in close walking distance.

Cheers,
Lavabe

If you plan on using Marta, invest in a quality firearm with a high capacity clip.

I rode it last week - the collection of low-life's I got to enjoy reminded me why I don't ride more than once every few years... :D

Channing
05-13-2008, 02:18 PM
If you plan on using Marta, invest in a quality firearm with a high capacity clip.

I rode it last week - the collection of low-life's I got to enjoy reminded me why I don't ride more than once every few years... :D

Marta isnt necessary. I'll be so close where walking will probably be my primary method of transportation. I may just get a razer scooter if I determine I want a set of wheels. I think the scooter is a bit of a pipe dream for safety reasons.

Lavabe
05-13-2008, 02:30 PM

I ride it most everyday into work.:D

Low-life cheers,;)
Lavabe

Shammrog
05-13-2008, 02:33 PM
I ride it most everyday into work.:D

Low-life cheers,;)
Lavabe

(I was mainly making a joke. You do get "all types" on Marta; last week I got to see a drug deal gone bad! No kidding.)

ugadevil
05-13-2008, 02:36 PM

I'm probably in trouble for not reporting a crime on Marta. A few months ago, I rode it and there was a man behind me who did not move the ENTIRE time I was riding. He could have been sleeping or passed out, but I didn't hear a sound out of him. We got off and my fiance asked, "Is he dead?"

Lavabe
05-13-2008, 02:42 PM
(I was mainly making a joke. You do get "all types" on Marta; last week I got to see a drug deal gone bad! No kidding.)

I know you were joking. I couldn't resist tweaking back at you. Will joke some more at the Braves' game!

FWIW, I've had more problems with panhandlers at red lights. On MARTA, I put on my iTouch, get out my grading, and voila, I'm there. I also have quantitative data to show my blood pressure go down while on MARTA (vs. driving in).:eek:

Low-life (better than Miller High Life) Cheers,
Lavabe