PDA

View Full Version : Daily Poll - What do you bench, dude(tte)?

Shammrog
05-12-2008, 09:50 AM
Part of my continuing daily poll series:

I read somewhere that, in his prime, the typical adult male can bench press 135 lbs. You are really good if you can legitimately bench press your own weight.

So, what do you bench, dude(tte)s?

Ignatius07
05-12-2008, 10:02 AM
There is a big difference between what you can bench (ie maxing out) and what you bench in sets of 8, 10, or 12. I assume this refers to sets?

Shammrog
05-12-2008, 10:03 AM
There is a big difference between what you can bench (ie maxing out) and what you bench in sets of 8, 10, or 12. I assume this refers to sets?

This is for the *maximum*. If you don't max, there are a host of online max calculators where you put in what you can do, specify the weight and number of reps and it uses a pretty standard formula to predict your one-rep max.

Channing
05-12-2008, 10:24 AM
I used this calculator: http://www.bodybuilding-supplement-guide.com/1-rep-max-bench-press-calculator.html

I am pretty sure it is very inaccurate though. I can rep 12-14 pretty easily at 225, but this thing told me my max would be at 347. That is significantly higher than anything I have ever tried to max at.

A cautionary tale: My mom (an aerobics instructor and personal trainer) had a client who played soccer for UNC (female). She maxed out on the bench and ended up seriously hurting herself, and actually having to give up soccer. If you are going to max you must have good spotters and really focus on your form.

OldPhiKap
05-12-2008, 10:25 AM
This is for the *maximum*. If you don't max, there are a host of online max calculators where you put in what you can do, specify the weight and number of reps and it uses a pretty standard formula to predict your one-rep max.

Link?

Shammrog
05-12-2008, 10:29 AM
Link?

Here is the one provided above (works well!):

http://www.bodybuilding-supplement-guide.com/1-rep-max-bench-press-calculator.html

I don't know exactly how accurate these are, but they are pretty universal (except that it won't work for very high reps - more than 15 or so.)

murpho
05-12-2008, 10:53 AM
Our HS football team ran a fundraiser by having a benchathon so I was able to find out a max for myself albeit 20yrs ago now. However we specifically trained for this with appropriate sets, etc. I wouldn't recommend anyone just go out there and see what their max is even if you're a regular benchpresser but are doing standard sets of ten of the same weight. You really need to switch to a bulk workout or at the least you need to work up to a max and of course need a spotter.

BlueDevilBaby
05-12-2008, 10:55 AM
Used to be, I could rep at 120. [sigh], those were the days. Age and shoulder injuries have severely reduced the amount and how I bench. I pretty much just bench with 10lb dumbells on the floor now.

Sincerely,
A Dudette

allenmurray
05-12-2008, 11:35 AM
I have been very successful at sitting on benches of a variety of weights. Any bench that weighs less than 50 lbs. would have to be made of strong materials and be well designed to hold me (210 lbs.). A bench that weighed more than 150 lbs. is probably overbuilt. So I guess I would have to say I prefer a bench of somewhere around 100 lbs., preferably with a curved seat and back, made of oak slats, and with some decorative cast iron. Preferably in the shade.

YmoBeThere
05-12-2008, 12:47 PM
Good form or just reversing the momentum? I saw so many people lift with bad form and then claiming weights much higher than if they did a single controlled rep. Always made me feel bad for their sternums.

Shammrog
05-12-2008, 01:03 PM
Good form or just reversing the momentum? I saw so many people lift with bad form and then claiming weights much higher than if they did a single controlled rep. Always made me feel bad for their sternums.

Good form only, please. And you are all on your honor! :)

OldPhiKap
05-12-2008, 01:35 PM
Come sundown, I'll be doing several reps of 12 ounce diminishing curls.

Clipsfan
05-12-2008, 01:39 PM
I used to do my reps at around 140% of my body weight, but I hurt myself a few years back and doubt I can do 10 reps at my old warm-up weight these days. Time to get back on it.

DukeDevil
05-12-2008, 01:46 PM
Ooops, thought it was workout weight not max weight. I don't do max because of the injury risk, plus there is no real benefit to it other than saying you've done it, and that's not worth the risk.

GopherBlue
05-12-2008, 02:30 PM

Are there any online max calculators that predict your one-rep max based upon variables such as last year in which you visited a gym and bowls of fruit loops you have for breakfast?

YmoBeThere
05-12-2008, 07:27 PM
Are there any online max calculators that predict your one-rep max based upon variables such as last year in which you visited a gym and bowls of fruit loops you have for breakfast?

Not that I know of, but they do factor in the aforementioned 12 ounce dimishing curls! :D

throatybeard
05-12-2008, 08:29 PM
Funny thing, Shammrog, how you started this one at zero, even though you started the personal income poll at 50K, even though that's above the median household in the USA.

Ben63
05-12-2008, 09:06 PM
Actually this is an ironic thread. My HS football team is doing max testing this week. I bench 275, which is slightly higher than my bodyweight.

Are sqauts tomorrow??

pamtar
05-12-2008, 09:09 PM
I put down the most I've ever benched. Right now its probably around 225-250. However, from when I was 18 to about 21 I lifted all the time. My dad spotted me on 325. I did it twice. I didn't go higher that day and then moved to Utah and quit lifting like two weeks later. I'm guessing I could have done 330-345.

Weird thing is, I'm not that big. I can just bench really well. I can probably bench more than I can squat right now!

dkbaseball
05-12-2008, 09:50 PM
Weird thing is, I'm not that big. I can just bench really well.

I'm back in New Orleans and with my old workout group, which includes a 27-year-old guy whom I have seen bench 500 lbs. No lie. He's about 5-9 or 5-10. His father -- the leader of our group -- started him doing push-ups when he was scarcely out of the cradle, and he became just freakishly strong. About my own bench I'll remain silent.

Lavabe
05-12-2008, 11:49 PM
I have been very successful at sitting on benches of a variety of weights. Any bench that weighs less than 50 lbs. would have to be made of strong materials and be well designed to hold me (210 lbs.). A bench that weighed more than 150 lbs. is probably overbuilt. So I guess I would have to say I prefer a bench of somewhere around 100 lbs., preferably with a curved seat and back, made of oak slats, and with some decorative cast iron. Preferably in the shade.

I think I'm with allenmurray on this one.:D

Too bad there was no "NONE OF THE ABOVE" option.:)
Cheers,
Lavabe

pamtar
05-13-2008, 09:49 AM
I'm back in New Orleans and with my old workout group, which includes a 27-year-old guy whom I have seen bench 500 lbs. No lie. He's about 5-9 or 5-10. His father -- the leader of our group -- started him doing push-ups when he was scarcely out of the cradle, and he became just freakishly strong. About my own bench I'll remain silent.

Too weird. I'm 27, 5'10'' and weigh 190.

CathyCA
05-13-2008, 06:21 PM
Okay, I'm a wimp. I bench press free weights at 45 pounds. Anything more than that and I need a lot of help.

Clipsfan
05-13-2008, 07:05 PM
Okay, I'm a wimp. I bench press free weights at 45 pounds. Anything more than that and I need a lot of help.

You mean just the bar?

UVaAmbassador
05-13-2008, 11:53 PM
Is it safe to assume that everyone on this poll is lying by one category?:)

CathyCA
05-14-2008, 12:06 AM
You mean just the bar?

Yes. I told you I was a wimp. I don't like to ask for help in the gym.

Is it safe to assume that everyone on this poll is lying by one category?

Not me. :cool:

blublood
05-14-2008, 09:54 AM
Wait, I thought if you were bench pressing, you automatically used the bar... if you do it with free weights, isn't it just a regulation chest press? No? Oh, well, I'm not voting in this poll anyway on the premise that the men are skewing it artificially high. That way I feel better. :)

Shammrog
05-14-2008, 10:05 AM
Wait, I thought if you were bench pressing, you automatically used the bar... if you do it with free weights, isn't it just a regulation chest press? No? Oh, well, I'm not voting in this poll anyway on the premise that the men are skewing it artificially high. That way I feel better. :)

You do (by default) use the bar. A standard Olympic bar is 45 lbs. so you add that to the weight of the plates to get your total.

Some home sets use "standard" diameter plates. This is usually 25 lbs., and IMHO a bit easier to press, all weights being equal, because it is shorter and easier to balance.

Shammrog
05-14-2008, 10:06 AM

Of note, I think the stats here are skewed by several factors:

1. Likely more men than women replying.
2. People who look at the thread are probably interested/knowledgeable about weight training, and more likely than average to engage in it.
3. People who vote/opine are those who have actually bench pressed, and thus either do or have done some weight training.

Ignatius07
05-14-2008, 11:03 AM

Actually I skewed it artificially low because I thought the question referred to sets and not max. In any event, I only do benching with dumbbells now, as they are more efficient and harder to "cheat" on than barbells.

bjornolf
05-14-2008, 09:00 PM
Actually I skewed it artificially low because I thought the question referred to sets and not max. In any event, I only do benching with dumbbells now, as they are more efficient and harder to "cheat" on than barbells.

Not sure anymore. I haven't lifted in years. In late high school, when I was lifting everyday and weighed 230 with a 54" chest, 64" shoulders, and 34" waist, I maxed out at about 410. My most impressive feat then was that I could leg press 550 per leg (the machine only went that high, so I did one leg at a time) reps.

I didn't vote, as I have no idea what would be accurate anymore. Probably around 200 without hurting myself if I had to guess, as I've had some shoulder injuries (torn rotator cuff included), but I do a lot of practical lifting, so I'm making an educated guess. That's really embarrassing, considering I weigh almost three bills now.

Has anybody seen this Sandrak kid? He was on Believe it or Not at age 6 a few years ago lifting his more than his body weight. He looked like a pro body builder at age six. It was scary to watch him curl 35 lbs when he weighed 60, or squat 65 lbs for 25 minutes straight.

http://www.richardsandrak.com/
http://www.simonperry.org/richard-sandrak-miniature-heman-is-he-for-real/

blazindw
05-14-2008, 10:55 PM
I leg-pressed 1000 pounds in high school. 10 times. With an audience of 30 people as proof (as if you doubt me :)). As for bench press, I've never tried beyond 185.

bjornolf
05-15-2008, 07:56 AM
I leg-pressed 1000 pounds in high school. 10 times. With an audience of 30 people as proof (as if you doubt me :)). As for bench press, I've never tried beyond 185.

the 550 per leg was reps. I'd do 12 reps, 3 sets, every other day. And I always had the next couple guys waiting to use the machine witnessing. (Our school gym only had so many machines.) Of course, my thighs measured about 32" each at the time. ;) I had the WORST time finding pants! A 34" waist with 32" thighs is not a normal measurement. I finally found Levi's silver tabs, loose fit. Those were perfect. Unfortunately, I haven't seen those in a while. :rolleyes:

Shammrog
05-15-2008, 09:47 AM
the 550 per leg was reps. I'd do 12 reps, 3 sets, every other day. And I always had the next couple guys waiting to use the machine witnessing. (Our school gym only had so many machines.) Of course, my thighs measured about 32" each at the time. ;) I had the WORST time finding pants! A 34" waist with 32" thighs is not a normal measurement. I finally found Levi's silver tabs, loose fit. Those were perfect. Unfortunately, I haven't seen those in a while. :rolleyes:

I have the same problem with pants. I am between 34-36 waist right now, but with small hips. And (ask Earljam!) my thighs are huge; not sure the measurement. Either too tight in the thighs, or baggy all around...

Clipsfan
05-15-2008, 02:45 PM
Has anybody seen this Sandrak kid? He was on Believe it or Not at age 6 a few years ago lifting his more than his body weight. He looked like a pro body builder at age six. It was scary to watch him curl 35 lbs when he weighed 60, or squat 65 lbs for 25 minutes straight.

http://www.richardsandrak.com/
http://www.simonperry.org/richard-sandrak-miniature-heman-is-he-for-real/

I hadn't seen anything on him in a while, but it looks like he's 16 now and nowhere near as buff. I guess it's hard to keep the curve going such that at 16 your bench is as impressive as 210 lbs at 8 years old.

Bluedawg
05-15-2008, 03:22 PM
Since I have not worked out with weights since HS when i stopped playing football whatever i could bench would be embarrassing.

bjornolf
05-15-2008, 03:44 PM
I hadn't seen anything on him in a while, but it looks like he's 16 now and nowhere near as buff. I guess it's hard to keep the curve going such that at 16 your bench is as impressive as 210 lbs at 8 years old.

he still looks pretty buff in the photo gallery. His abs are SICK.