PDA

View Full Version : Road Runner now 10m download.

moonpie23
05-11-2008, 05:42 PM
wow......and they didn't increase the price of the turbo...

billybreen
05-11-2008, 06:04 PM
Meanwhile, I've been happily using FIOS 20/20 service for almost a year. :)

hc5duke
05-11-2008, 06:05 PM

Some of us don't live near a large tech-hub city, you insensitive clod. Wait a minute...

-jk
05-11-2008, 06:38 PM

OK, I'll bite: I have the need to host the off server or two in my home office. Any idea how reliable verizon might be? I'd need a couple static ip addresses and permission. So far, everything they've sent me has said they prohibit servers.

-jk

billybreen
05-11-2008, 07:16 PM
OK, I'll bite: I have the need to host the off server or two in my home office. Any idea how reliable verizon might be? I'd need a couple static ip addresses and permission. So far, everything they've sent me has said they prohibit servers.

-jk

The one annoying thing is that they block port 80. SnrubChat is hosted from my home network via FIOS, and I use port 81 for the web server. To make that less annoying for my users, I host a landing page, which is nothing more than a frameset with a single frame that takes up the entire browser window, on port 80 somewhere. All of the real SnrubChat work happens within that frame, but I just don't want users to see stupid http://www.snrub.com:81/ URLs.

As for speed and stability, I moved chat back to my FIOS account after hosting it with a professional ISP. Performance was terrible with real hosting and was far, far better on FIOS. Haven't had a blip that I can recall, at least not one that I can blame on FIOS.

moonpie23
05-11-2008, 08:58 PM
i'm pretty happy with the time warner,altho i would love to have a faster upload. Trubo RR is at 465 up here.....which isn't that good...

i use a sling box and would dig it if i had a 20 meg upload...

rock

no fios here in cary...

-jk
05-11-2008, 10:19 PM
The one annoying thing is that they block port 80. SnrubChat is hosted from my home network via FIOS, and I use port 81 for the web server. To make that less annoying for my users, I host a landing page, which is nothing more than a frameset with a single frame that takes up the entire browser window, on port 80 somewhere. All of the real SnrubChat work happens within that frame, but I just don't want users to see stupid http://www.snrub.com:81/ URLs.

As for speed and stability, I moved chat back to my FIOS account after hosting it with a professional ISP. Performance was terrible with real hosting and was far, far better on FIOS. Haven't had a blip that I can recall, at least not one that I can blame on FIOS.

Harrumph. Well, that kills that. Stuck with comcast a bit longer.

-jk

billybreen
05-11-2008, 10:26 PM
Harrumph. Well, that kills that. Stuck with comcast a bit longer.

-jk

You can always pay another $100 a month for the business version. :)

Agreed, that's the one thing about FIOS that I don't love.

OZZIE4DUKE
05-11-2008, 11:18 PM
wow......and they didn't increase the price of the turbo...

My 5 meg speed is now almost 7 meg! Their speed test, which they have hidden with their change of home page graphics, measured 6880 kbps. Unfortunately, the upload speed is still 367 kbps.

devilish
05-12-2008, 08:17 AM
http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/1088651/

With Wilson's new fiber optic system, the community will have 100 Mbps up and down! Also TV and phone without customer service from the corporates. The project is almost complete and some homes are already connected.

DevilAlumna
06-04-2008, 11:43 AM
The one annoying thing is that they block port 80. SnrubChat is hosted from my home network via FIOS, and I use port 81 for the web server. To make that less annoying for my users, I host a landing page, which is nothing more than a frameset with a single frame that takes up the entire browser window, on port 80 somewhere. All of the real SnrubChat work happens within that frame, but I just don't want users to see stupid [url]http://www.snrub.com:81/

Yo BB (or any other FiOS user) -- I heard Verizon blocks all ports below 1024. Any truth to that rumor?

If so, that's a shame -- we just had the new lines laid in our 'hood last week, but Mr. DA probably won't entertain the notion if it FUBARs our current web/server/remote access solutions.

Also, how good is the TV service?

billybreen
06-04-2008, 11:53 AM
Yo BB (or any other FiOS user) -- I heard Verizon blocks all ports below 1024. Any truth to that rumor?

If so, that's a shame -- we just had the new lines laid in our 'hood last week, but Mr. DA probably won't entertain the notion if it FUBARs our current web/server/remote access solutions.

Also, how good is the TV service?

Nope, the only thing blocked is port 80. I use 22, 25, and 143 all the time.